Quantcast The All Time Biggest WDW Resort Question!! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming from someone who always stayed at a value or moderate I cannot justify the extra $700 and losing a day. Now if money was no object than the deluxe is the way to go. I personally would not consider trying to "come up" with the money just to sleep someplace deluxe. I have a 6 year old who loves the parks, we are hardly ever in the room anyway. As long as the room is clean and the CM's nice why does it matter where you stay? It seems like the extra $700 is a stretch for you. I see also that kids will be involved. $700 can go a long way on souveniers rather than a status hotel. I would never cut the vacation short just to say I stayed at a deluxe resort. I know the values are a bit crowded with families but it's a clean place to sleep and the moderates also.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've done both deluxe and Value, and this year we're short on cash so even though we LOVE the deluxe resorts, even for convenience alone, we will go Value.

I say, if she wants BC because of convenience, $700 will easily cover a personal Taxi Cab to take you to the parks if you so desired, and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a snob I guess.

I will only stay at Deluxe Resorts. To me its all about the location. Once you've stayed there - you just don't want to stay anywhere else.

Its worth the extra money to me to be able to walk into Epcot or the Magic Kingdom.

In fact - I guess I'm a snobby snob - cause I won't stay at the AKL because of its lack of proximity to the parks.

Maybe if I was getting an extra week out of staying at a mod or value - I'd considerate it. But not for just one day.......

Here's an idea - why don't you join the DVC? Then you'd always be staying deluxe-like - for years to come even!!!
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Your wife is right. She's clearly a woman of sound taste and impeccable judgment. Bow down, kiss her feet, beg forgiveness, and remind yourself how lucky you are.

Seriously, better location, bigger rooms, great pool. The time you save in not waiting for buses alone probably more than makes up for the extra day. POR buses are not all that efficient. If the money is not a problem, go with it.

And oh, Ginny, I'm so sorry. Best wishes to you during a difficult time.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

oh ask me ask me
    ive been married 3 times and all have seen WDW. im going alone in 2 wks so...
    while i didnt like POR or BC i would pick having the extra day and saving the money. BC had the great location by Epcot though
    depends on how much you like your wife, if you want to keep her happy and the $$ is nothing.
    i could get a lot out of $700.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Okay here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
    Me, Mr. Disney himself would stay in a carboard box next to the dumpster outside the food court at the All Star Music resort if it guaranteed me a full week at WDW.
    I'll be in the adjoining box with my family!!! Anything to be in WDW!!!

So here we are, the battle of the sexes, Husband vs. Wife in a battle to the death (of me)on where and how long to stay!
    FYI, no battle, wife always wins!!! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    The only benefit I can see to staying at a Deluxe resort, is the opportunity to unnecessarily spend more money.
    I agree. I'm a champagne girl all the way every where except in WDW. We did the BC one year and I wasn't impressed. Plus we're never in the room. I'll save the extra $$$ for a bottle of my beloved champagne and a fabulous dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Relmal View Post
    Send the Mrs. home a day earlier and stay in your cardboard box the last day! Whatever you do, have fun!
    Great idea!!! DH usually joins us mid trip. This time he'll have to fly back and forth a few times due to our business but I'll be there with the kids awaiting his return.

Quote Originally Posted by ginny57 View Post
    On that note, DH informed me this past weekend that he wants a divorce. I'm trying to hold it together and find things I can hold on to so I don't fall apart. One thing that I am holding on to is that he won't ruin any future trips (like my 50th B-day celebration on Oct) and MAYBE my Mom will come after all.
    You hang in there girl. Anyone who acts that way in WDW certainly doesn't deserve to be with such a Disney lover. You lived before him and you'll live after him. Everything happens for a reason. This just means that something amazing is awaiting you around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    I am a snob I guess.

I will only stay at Deluxe Resorts. To me its all about the location. Once you've stayed there - you just don't want to stay anywhere else.
    From one snobby snob to another I have to disagree here. I've done the deluxe resort thing and wasn't impressed at all. Although I also wasn't impressed with the Ritz either. Anyway, we tend to buy tons of souveniers and lots of fabulous meals with great wines and champagne instead of wasting it on the room we're never in. We leave first thing in the morning and come home late at night and just crash long enough to recharge before heading out again. Plus I find that the CSR has all of the amenities that the BC had when we stayed there and our children don't have to be as quiet outside as they do with the inside halls. I love walking out my door and seeing the beautiful lake and not having to navigate confusing hallways to get outside.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

So have we helped you out by expressing opposite points of view?

"I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a no-brainer for me. We rarely stay at Deluxes, because I (I'm the decision maker/trip planner) cannot rationalize the extra expense for the Deluxes, given what I am at WDW for. I'd rather my visits be longer and more frequent than at a "Deluxe". But...I am way too much Yankee. Your wife must be from away.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Battle of the sex's ?
    You have already said it yourself,If DH is unhappy, than you are unhappy.
    Do not fret over the "lost day".
    Yes extra time would be great. Does your DW spend lots of time in the room ? Remember you are going on a vacation & being happy is the most important thing.

on a side note
    Ginny57: keep it together. You sound like a strong woman. You will get by, you will survive...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    I am a snob I guess.

I've stayed at Deluxe, Mod and Value. I really didn't find the Deluxe all that exciting. My favorite has been some of the Mods. The kids love the gawdiness of the values. So I just save my money for souvenirs. Sally

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that my wife owns her own business (hair salon with 3 people who work for her) and when she said that she wanted to upgrade she said immdiately after, "And I want to pay the difference out of my salon money.". So that is all set. For me it's not about the money, it's about the days. We are one of those married couple where all of our money is the same, no separate accounts so mine is hers and hers is mine.

We are far from wealthy but $700 won't kill us, especially for the 4 of us (DS- 9, DD - 6) but just knowing on the day that I'm leaving that I would still be there the next day will give me agita (an Italian word for aggravation).
    Let her pay for the extra day as well. What is most important is that everyone gets what they want, or at least a good compromise. You get all the days you want, she gets the resort she wants (although she won't get beignets at BC - too bad for her), you don't have to pay extra. Have you tried POFQ? It works for us, and you get beignets

It's strange. My beloved wife loves WL but actually prefers POFQ for the cost savings, atmosphere (and beignets) and size.

Only eight days to go!
    Last edited by garymacd; 05-15-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: add additional information: days to go.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Tell her she can cough up the $$ for an extra day, too. That's what I do with my DH (oh, wait... I don't have a choice-- I don't work! I just tell him when/where, and at the last second, how much-- too late to cancel! LOL). Seriously, though, your kids are going to want some pool time at the BC.

And Ginny, lots of pixie dust to you.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginny57 View Post
    My last family trip was me, DH, DS and my Mom. We stayed at POLY and all my DH did was complain! Not enough bartenders and he had to wait for a drink! No place to drink in the MK. Wants to leave the parks dailt when HE has seen'done everything on HIS list. I wish I could say I'm kidding but I'm not. My Mom swore she'd NEVER come with us again. His attitude ruined our trip. So, for me, I would do whatever I could to not have THAT experience again.

On that note, DH informed me this past weekend that he wants a divorce. I'm trying to hold it together and find things I can hold on to so I don't fall apart. One thing that I am holding on to is that he won't ruin any future trips (like my 50th B-day celebration on Oct) and MAYBE my Mom will come after all.
    I can't believe anyone acting like that! Especially at WDW. What a cad (must be showing my age to use that word) And what a cad to be leaving you. To tie this in to another thread, just "hold on" to all those refillable resort mugs and remember the good times past and the great times to come. At least he won't ruin your 50th birthday.

Happy Birthday, whenever it is. And get a hold of JohnnyJayhawk. I hear he is a pretty good divorce lawyer!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes blessings are disguised...
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    The only benefit I can see to staying at a Deluxe resort, is the opportunity to unnecessarily spend more money. I don't see how I could possibly need anything more than what is offered by the moderates,
    I'm with you! The only thing I regret about being at a value is the lack of finer dining- but hey, we are seasoned resort hoppers- we eat at the big resorts each trip.
    If anyone wants to fund a free trip to a deluxe, we would be gracious recipients, but we'd rather visit more often than pay more for less time.
    Princess Tightwad signing off!

2004-Allstar Movie
    2004-Allstar Movie
    2006-Allstar Movie- he proposed!!

2007-Allstar Movie
    2007- Allstar Music
    2008- September, December trip
    2009 June, Novemebr trip

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's very tough to read"
    M Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that my wife owns her own business (hair salon with 3 people who work for her) and when she said that she wanted to upgrade she said immdiately after, "And I want to pay the difference out of my salon money.". So that is all set. For me it's not about the money, it's about the days. We are one of those married couple where all of our money is the same, no separate accounts so mine is hers and hers is mine.
    As you already stated, your wife has said she'll pay the difference, so that is not an issue. It sounds like the resort is a part of the whole vacation experience, much as it is for me (for me, I have to also include dining). Neither my sister nor I are big on souvenirs and actually have never been, even as small children. We buy a magnet and we are set. We use the money that we would have spent on souvenirs to stay at nicer accommodations and eat at nicer restaurants because that is what we enjoy.

Everyone enjoys WDW in their own way and no one way is either right or wrong. To me, so long as everyone has a good time is what really matters.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Could you split the week between different resorts. You pick a resort the 1st 3 days and she picks the last 4 days. She gets more days of course because she is the wife. You could stay at POR for 3 days than go to the BC for 4 days.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're a good-hearted and wise person for being willing to forgo the extra day to accomodate your wife's desires, extravagant as though they may seem to you. I can only hope that she does the same for you in some other area of life, since good marriages involve give-and-take on both sides.

Having said that, IMHO, if you had to upgrade, you did well to choose a resort that has a great pool and close proximity to Epcot and MGM. Just try to savor the time you spend there so that on Day 7 when you are headed home instead of staying one more day, you can at least know that you did things at Beach CLub that you would have been unable to do at Port Orleans.

Have a great trip !
    BLT, CR; OKWX2; BCX5; YCX3; Poly; PORX2; WLX4; PopX3; DolphinX3; ASX3

HGVC I-Drive, Seaworld & Parc Soleil, Hilton Bonnet Creek, Gaylord Palms, Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay

Post Thanks / Like

My initial reaction was "what the?! NO WAY! HOW DARE SHE!" LOL

And then I realized that this is the choice I make, it's just built into the original plan.

I suppose we could go for a two-week WDW trip instead of a 10 day for the same price, but I chose Deluxe resorts for my trips at the outset, so the length of the trip was limited by my desire to stay at a nicer resort (though POFQ was the only moderate I have ever wanted to try--looks so lovely, and the boat to DTD and all sounds fab).

I do love where I stay at to be "nice". We don't spend a lot of time there, but the time we do, I really like to be special. I have a nice home, but am not the Queen of Clean and Organization in general. So a hotel is always a chance to be surrounded by utter cleanliness and order for a week or more. The theming can either make you feel serene or grated upon. The size of the room can determine if you feel you are climbing all over one another or not. The service...well you can't go wrong anywhere on Disney property!!, but there are a few more perks built into the Deluxe experience that are subtle but nice to have.

The amenities of the resort can make you feel even more at home, and offer you a leisurely day away from the parks where you don't feel you missed out on anything, because there was so much to do and see right outside your door. And as others have pointed out, the swiftness of the transportation from your resort to your desired attractions can make a difference--both in the morning when you are eager to get out there, and in the evening when you are tired and potentially grumpy and just want to put your feet up or take a refreshing shower.

So while my first reaction was indignance, in the end it is resignation. This is the choice I make every time I go--your wife just got to chime in a little late on her opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    Remember your THE MAN, You are in charge... Ok, now that that statement is overwith
    What a sexist remark. I'm glad I'm not YOUR wife.....ANYWAY.....

$700 more to get one day less??? My portion of my trip, with free dining, is $750 and that is for 8 nights 9 days and includes the plane tickets back and forth to NJ. What you have to ask yourself is "How much time are you going to be spending at the resort?" I personally like the Value since I am only there to sleep. How much different is your bed when your eyes are closed? I would never pay an extra $700 and get one day less. We are actually staying an extra day just to save on the plane tickets.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: