Quantcast Non-smoking Policy....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Non-smoking Policy....

I just got off the phone with CBR regarding the non-smoking policy. I was told Aruba 51 (smoking optional building) will be out of commission the last two weeks of May to start the cleaning process. I imagine all Disney resorts will follow this guideline. So, if you have a vacation planned the last two weeks of this month and requested a smoking room you may not be able to get one. I asked where the designated smoking areas will be located and they still do not know that information. Well, if they're going to have smoking rooms out of commission in two weeks shouldn't they already have the information on where smoking will be allowed? The CM at CBR said all she has been told is that there will be designated smoking areas outside of each resort instead of inside of rooms. She said possibly each courtyard will have a smoking section, but she wasn't positive.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Maria, thanks for posting that information! I agree, they should have the information on where the smoking areas will be located if they are going to take some of the smoking rooms out of commission in 2 weeks! I haven't stayed at Caribbean Beach, but as it is a large resort, I would have to guess there are other buildings which will need to be shutdown to switch them over to non-smoknig. As the building is only going to be down for 2 weeks, I have to think they are only going to do a soft goods refurbishment, which I hope includes curtains and possibly mattresses, and the rooms are not going to be gutted.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

The only smoking optional building at the CBR was Aruba 51, so that's the one they will concentrate on. They will replace carpeting, drapes, mattresses, pillows, linens, new paint, etc..... If you go to Disney's site and click on the resorts you'll see the policy, how much they will charge if you're found to smoke in the room and information on the cleaning process.

They do not know how long the building will be out of commission only that they will not place anyone in Aruba 51 the last two weeks of May so they can start refurbishing the rooms.

Post Thanks / Like

That is surprising that a resort of that size only had one building. Most of the other moderates had 2 buildings, the exception being POFQ, but as it is half the size of the other moderates. I know as of October 2006, Coronado Springs had 2 buildings.

I really think that Disney should not have left it up to each individual resort to determine where the smoking areas will be located. As we are seeing from the different reports, there doesn't seem to be well defined guidelines for the resorts to follow.
    Christine șoș

TiggerRPh Guest

I'm not seeing the policy when I go to the resort section of the site. Where is it?

Post Thanks / Like

I found the link, but it is a general FAQ about the smoking policies:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...QSmokeFreePage

I am curious if at check-in the maps will be updated by June 1. Also, they say in the FAQ that the rooms will receive a "deep cleaning", which will include bed linens, carpets and draperies. That leads me to believe that they are not replacing the carpets but are shampooing them.
    Christine șoș

mttafire Guest

Good info. Im thinking Disney is FAR more concerned in getting those old smoking rooms fumigated,cleaned and re carpeted than where the smoking areas will be. It is facinating to me that people can be so concerned as to "where the smoking areas will be". Certainly once folks get to thier resort it wont be too difficult to simply ask "hey, Where can we smoke? Im starting to think that some folks are "concerned" a little too much about this smoking ban.
    Last edited by Hammer; 05-04-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Comment did not pertain to the topic

Post Thanks / Like

I am assuming that the designated smoking areas will be marked at each resort. I just hope they are not in the path to lobby doors, right next to the pools, etc. Nothing is more frustrating than having to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a building.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    It is facinating to me that people can be so concerned as to "where the smoking areas will be". Certainly once folks get to thier resort it wont be too difficult to simply ask "hey, Where can we smoke? Im starting to think that some folks are "concerned" a little too much about this smoking ban.
    I don't think people are too concerned. We have every right to be concerned, as having to leave your room and walk a good distance to have a cigarette will really put a damper on my parents vacation, and probably many other smokers. I don't smoke, but if someone told me I am going to have to walk 100 yards to a public bathroom to brush my teeth in the morning (maybe thats a silly analogy, but you get my point), I'd be pretty put out. I plan on calling ahead or faxing and requesting a room for my parents that is close to one of the designated smoking areas. I'm just hoping my parents don't decide to cancel their reservation all together when I finally get the nerve to tell them about the new policy
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mariașoș View Post
    They will replace carpeting, drapes, mattresses, pillows, linens, new paint, etc.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Also, they say in the FAQ that the rooms will receive a "deep cleaning", which will include bed linens, carpets and draperies. That leads me to believe that they are not replacing the carpets but are shampooing them.
    You know, I have to wonder if they will replace the mattresses or not. I don't know how often they replace mattresses throughout the resorts but I can tell you that CBR just got all brand new mattresses in late summer / early fall 2005. Our room had one that was less than a month old and we watched them deliver them to other sections of the resort in Sept '05. I would think this means that they aren't going to replace them. As far as the soft goods - bedding and curtains and the like - a good couple of washings should do the trick as far as the old smoke smell although I'm not so sure about the carpet. I don't know that scrubbing the carpet would completely remove the odor there. I would also think the smell may have permeated into some of the wood furniture as well depending on how long these rooms were smoking optional.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I am glad they are doing this...

On the business side, it's easier to book rooms if all of them are non smoking. They probably found that the smoking rooms were "rooms of last resort" for most folks. It's easier to just book out all of the rooms instead of sectioning them off. Plus less damage to beds, carpet, etc. in the room. Probably lower insurance costs, too.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

Good info. Im thinking Disney is FAR more concerned in getting those old smoking rooms fumigated,cleaned and re carpeted than where the smoking areas will be. It is facinating to me that people can be so concerned as to "where the smoking areas will be". Certainly once folks get to thier resort it wont be too difficult to simply ask "hey, Where can we smoke? Im starting to think that some folks are "concerned" a little too much about this smoking ban.

I'm concerned, not only for myself, but for others. Think about single parents who brought their children to Disney and are smokers. How far will they have to go to have a cigarette while their children are asleep in the room? How about single mothers who are walking alone late at night to go have a cigarette? How many people will we now see walking around early in the morning in their pj's and slippers? How far will we have to walk to have a cig? It just may be quicker to go to our cars if it's a value or moderate. How far will those staying at a Deluxe have to walk to have a cig? Who wants to walk 20 minutes out of the way after they spend the whole day walking in the parks? So, yes, I'm concerned and would like to know now instead of spending an hour at check-in to try to figure out where the designated smoking area's will be located so I know where to request my room. Most people like to plan ahead of time...make ADR's 180 days out, book their rooms, make special requests, etc... Well, we don't know where to request.

Post Thanks / Like

I also spoke with Ft. Wilderness Campground. I was told you'll be able to smoke at your individual campsite for those in RV's and tents, but those staying in the cabins will have to go to the designated smoking area which there should be one in each loop.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see where trying to find out about this is any different then most of the questions people ask on Intercot. People are trying to get some insight on how things will be set up before they get there since it can have an affect on their trip.

When posters ask about crowds, there's no "you'll see when you get there" replies - there are answers based on previous trips at the same time of year. This is a new rule so there's bound to be some curiosity about what's in store for concerned parties.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vamaggie View Post
    I am assuming that the designated smoking areas will be marked at each resort. I just hope they are not in the path to lobby doors, right next to the pools, etc. Nothing is more frustrating than having to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a building.
    I so second this. I hated having to walk through clouds of smoke to get in the door of the food court. Walking past individuals smoking along the walkway of a non-smoking building. I really hope that they enforce the no smoking policy and implement the fines. After all second hand smoke is really a health issue for many.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    I don't see where trying to find out about this is any different then most of the questions people ask on Intercot. People are trying to get some insight on how things will be set up before they get there since it can have an affect on their trip.

When posters ask about crowds, there's no "you'll see when you get there" replies - there are answers based on previous trips at the same time of year. This is a new rule so there's bound to be some curiosity about what's in store for concerned parties.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the pain here. I stopped smoking 15 years ago, (best thing I ever did), but when you're a smoker, yeah, it's a MAJOR inconvenience. I don't see what the harm would be if they let smoker's go out on the balcony, and shut the door behind them. That makes more sense than one big open-air designated spot, but they didn't ask my opinion

I do hope Disney comes down on the clowns that try to get away with lighting up in the parks while walking in a crowd. Some little child will get burned by a lit cigarette that's being carried at their eye level. I'm sure it's already happened, and something of significance should occur to the bozo that puts anyone else at risk.

I quit because I had to go to a designated spot to smoke. DD came to Az from Phila. to take care of me when I had back surgery ONLY if I promised not to smoke around her for the three months she was here. It got pretty hard to go out back and sit on our wooden furniture, so I did it less and less until I discovered that I had gone two days with only one smoke. She said, "you've gone this far, why not just stop". A couple of weeks later, that was it. (Yes, this is off the topic - sorry).
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smoking on balcony

The harm in letting someone smoke on their own balcony is to the person with the balcony next door - if it's me, I would be unable to use my balcony because of my allergy to smoke. If people cooperate in walking to smoking areas, then we all get to enjoy our balconies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingbooty View Post
    I don't think people are too concerned. We have every right to be concerned, as having to leave your room and walk a good distance to have a cigarette will really put a damper on my parents vacation, and probably many other smokers.

I'm just hoping my parents don't decide to cancel their reservation all together when I finally get the nerve to tell them about the new policy
    The argument we often hear regarding smoking vs. non-smoking businesses, is to "let the market decide". Businesses should have the right to allow smoking if they wish. And they should also be allowed to prohibit smoking. If folks have to cancel a reservation because they can't smoke in their room, well, so be it. They have decided to take their money elsewhere.

I'm sorry you are caught in the middle and will not be sharing your vacation with your parents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    I so second this. I hated having to walk through clouds of smoke to get in the door of the food court. Walking past individuals smoking along the walkway of a non-smoking building. I really hope that they enforce the no smoking policy and implement the fines. After all second hand smoke is really a health issue for many.
    Second hand smoke is a serious health issue for EVERYONE. I am a nurse who spent clincal time in both the oncology unit and respitory therapy. While the majority of the patients with lung cancer were smokers, some of them had never smoked a cigarette in their lives. Second hand smoke kills too.
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: