Quantcast WDW Rated & Reviewed - Tomorrowland Transit Authority

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How would you rate the Tomorrowland Transit Authority?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** : Awesome on every level.

41 28.28%
  • **** : One of the better rides around.

51 35.17%
  • *** : Average stuff, but still a pretty fun time.

47 32.41%
  • ** : Not bad, but not especially good either.

3 2.07%
  • * : Don't waste your vacation time with this one.

2 1.38%
  • 0 : Terrible. Not even worth it at a carnival.

1 0.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up WDW Rated & Reviewed - Tomorrowland Transit Authority

Tomorrowland Transit Authority

Intro: The TTA opened in 1975 as the WEDway People Mover, a demonstration of the new ride system that Imagineering had developed, originally for EPCOT. The idea was that large cities would replace their subways with this new type of urban transit that runs on magnets and is much cleaner to operate than normal trains. What ended up happening was roller coaster designers realized they could propel trains really really fast using magnets and America’s cities kept operating dirty mass transit systems. Oh well, live and learn.

Queue: There’s not really a “queue” per se at the TTA, both because there is never anybody waiting in line to board and because Disney anticipated this and, therefore, didn’t really build one, opting instead for what can best be described as a flat bottomed escalator leading up to the elevated moving platform on which you board the people mover cars for the ride.

Ride: There are two seats per car, facing each other, with enough total room in the cab to fit four people. Since the ride is hardly ever full, it’s a great opportunity to sprawl, relax, and enjoy the breeze. There is a story and a theme to the ride, which makes it all the more enjoyable, but if you don’t care to pay attention to such things you can just sit back and enjoy the scenic ten minute trip around Tomorrowland. But, since you fine folks read these reviews for a little more substance than “enjoy the breeze for 10 minutes,” I’ll elaborate on said story and theme.

One of the reasons I love Tomorrowland is because it is the only section of the Magic Kingdom where Disney has actually come up with one elaborate story to connect all of the rides to the land itself. The TTA is where you get the background of this story. If you want to get the most out of Tomorrowland, pay attention to the narration on this ride and then notice the subtleties all around the land that play upon it.

The TTA is the “skyway” transportation system for the metropolis of “Tomorrowland,” essentially a space trading outpost. A recorded voice narrates the tour of the city. The tour begins at the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center, where a company called X-S Tech is providing a demonstration of a new teleportation device. I’m sure nothing will go horribly wrong.

The train moves past the main entrance to Tomorrowland, spinning to the right of forward progress to offer a really nice elevated view of Cinderella Castle (even more amazing if you can hop aboard at night, and super duper amazing if you ride during Wishes, sometimes repeat rides of the kind are made available by generous corporate policy ducking cast members who let people stay on because, really, nobody else is racing up the flat bottomed escalator anyway.)

Next we move inside of the building that houses the colossal gift shop “Mickey’s Star Traders.” If I had a dollar for every tacky souvenir I bought in there on an impulse...hmm, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually bought anything in there. We pass by a model of a futuristic city, actually a model for Walt Disney’s original vision of EPCOT. It’s a very nice piece of Disney history that is rightfully on display for all to see. Next we pass by a window overlooking the gift shop, so you can begin planning your post-ride purchases now.

We head back outside and over the loud and annoyingly anachronistic “Tomorrowland Indy Speedway.” If they don’t want to ditch the concept completely, they could at least replace the goofy “Indy” cars on rails with go-carts or something. I suppose that’s better left for the “Tomorrowland Indy Speedway” review. Nah, that’s not going to happen. We move past the Speedway and down a long boring straightaway towards the giant arcade that I’ve never been into and should probably be replaced with something useful.

Finally, we make it to Space Mountain. Whooo! Wait until I actually write a full Space Mountain review, the Ric Flair references are really going to fly. Space Mountain, it is revealed, is actually a transit point for cargo. Makes perfect sense to me, especially since FedEx used to sponsor it. Though, they also mention that space travel is "an adventure." So, maybe the adventure is traveling like cargo. I love when ride backstories change at the whim of corporate sponsors, like baseball stadium names. The TTA actually moves through a significant portion of the ride, offering views of the main lift, the queue, and the boarding platform.

We continue to move through the far side of Tomorrowland, making our way over to the Carousel of Progress, spinning around the ride building, and then into the Buzz Lightyear building for a bizarre Horizon-esque advertisement for robot hair-care and then a glimpse into the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin ride. We head back outside for another nice view of Cinderella Castle, then we move over the Metropolis Science Center, where a demonstration for a time machine operates seasonally. The narrator doesn’t say it operates seasonally, I added that little tidbit myself. Finally, we head into the middle of Tomorrowland, dubbed “Rocket-tower Plaza” for the purposes of the backstory, where we return to the station and the ride comes to an end.

Thoughts: It’s not going to blow you away with special effects, or music, or in depth story and scenery. What the TTA will do is give riders a nice tour of Tomorrowland featuring entertaining narration providing the back-story of the land and a relaxing respite from a hot day in Florida. Not the greatest ride in the park, but a thoroughly enjoyable one.

Overall Rating: ***
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

nostalgia almost drove me to rate this 5 stars, but i couldn't justifiably do it, even for my favorite attraction. i'll stand by my 4 stars, though- no better way to get a 10 minute break any time of the day, with great views of the park and a neat storyline to boot. plus, the idea of riding on magnets is so incredibly cool.
    john

Off-site '76, '89, '91, '96
    LBV Hilton '84
    DLR '86
    Poly '93, '08
    CR '96, '02, '03
    Next trip- Poly Aug '11

Post Thanks / Like

DS' 3rd Favorite ride. #1 was WDW railraod, #2 was the monorail.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We have to do the Blue Ride.... My Nieces love it.... we do it at least 4 times a trip.....

the last time I was on it It broke and I had to walk off..........

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

I love the TTA! Nice, relaxing way to tour tomorrowland and cool off!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrowland Transit Authority is a great attraction, and this review finally explained why.

I could never explain what I liked about the ride, but now I know. The cool story makes Tomorrowland probably the greatest of all the lands.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it!! It is a great way to rest and still do Disney!! I love the announcer guy! I hope WDW doesn't take it out like DL did.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I love it and its a great ride to look over the whole of the park ,i find it very relaxing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tta

It is just a nice place to relax and try and refresh before taking on the rest of the MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wedway fan View Post
    nostalgia almost drove me to rate this 5 stars, but i couldn't justifiably do it, even for my favorite attraction. i'll stand by my 4 stars, though- no better way to get a 10 minute break any time of the day, with great views of the park and a neat storyline to boot. plus, the idea of riding on magnets is so incredibly cool.
    Well put, I feel the same way, though it is not my favorite attraction. The things that I love best about it are the quick and easy load time, the relaxing pace, the unique views, and the excellent theming. The best part, however, is the narration. It's just too funny!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

There's really not much to it, but no trip to WDW is complete for us without a few rides on the TTA. I think the beauty of this attraction is in its simplicity and soothing qualities. You need a little TTA downtime between mountain ranges.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think you gave a fair assessment of this ride. There isn't alot to it. It moves along at a sedate pace and shows you views of several attractions in Tomorrowland. I think the charm of this ride is that you can relax and let yourself unwind. It is a great way to catch your breath before you move on to the next thrill.
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

It gets 5 stars from me, and two thumbs way, way up! It is one of my very favorites and will always be a very sentimental one for me. My daughter and I have spent a lot of time up there relaxing, people watching, and just enjoying being there with each other. When I think of the TTA, I automatically connect it to all my warm fuzzy feelings I have for all my trips to WDW with her. Love it!!
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

We ride this at least once every time we're at the MK. I love sitting there watching the world go by and peaking in on all the rides.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

We love the TTA it's number one in our book! 5 stars!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I love TTA. Part of it is nostalgia, I'm sure - I remember riding it and loving it when I was a kid back in the 70s WEDway days.

It's one of those rides that are hard to explain the appeal of to someone who has never been to WDW. No - it's not exciting or scary or a thrill ride, but it is, without a doubt, very "Disney."

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the TTA becasue it is a chance to sit and, as frankie says, relax for a few minutes and get away from the hustle and bustle of the regular park, if you know what I mean.
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave it a vote of 3 stars. Although it is not always a 'must do' on our WDW trips, it is a great way to take a break from the crowds in the park with a relaxing ride through parts of it.
    7/90-6CB
    F/N97ASSP
    F/N98ASSP
    Jan/Nv99ASM
    7/00CB
    7/01ASM
    F/N 02ASM
    2/03ASM
    11/03DL-OFF
    F/N 04PC
    F/N 05PC
    11/06PC
    6/07PC
    10/07PC
    2/08PC
    9/08PC
    6/09PC
    2/10PC
    5/11PC
    5/12PC
    8/13Off
    10/13PC
    5/14PC
    6/14Off
    10/14AKLKV
    5/15PC
    7/15Off
    10/15SSR
    5/16SSR
    9/16SSR
    6/17PC
    5/18PC

Post Thanks / Like

If I could ride one ride @ disney it wouldn't be that one unless I've been walking in the heat, my feet are swollen or I have blisters-- then it's my #1.
    It's a quick R&R ride and not a thrill but it seems like I always look forward to the much needed break. I give it 3 * * *
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up love it

I still call this one the "People Mover", and it reminds me of my first few trips in the 70's when I was little.

Now as a mom with small kids, I just like the no line thing, and relaxing time on it. I guess I'm mostly nostalgic about it.
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

Share This Thread On Social Media: