Quantcast Pixar's "Ratatouille" Film [Merged Threads] - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's a great film!

I can't really decide where it ranks in relation to the other Pixar films, though, because it's just so different than the other ones. This is definitely a much more "grown up" storyline than any of the other Pixar movies.

Honestly, the best way I can quantify it is that this felt more like an "indie" film than a studio film. It had that same small, intimate, quiet feel that many indie films have. It really didn't have nearly as much of the more "big bang" feel that movies like Incredibles, Cars, and Nemo did.

Either way, it was a really great movie. I'd encourage everyone to go see it. It had everything ... laughs, tears, excitement ... and I thought the story was the best element. Yes, the visuals were stunning, but the story was very deep and richly developed.

The one thing that I wonder about with this film is, will it really reach people in that place most of the other Pixar films did? I mean, at the end of the day, this is a very odd story. A rat that loves to cook? Will that resonate people?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved it as well. I thought I might have a hard time with it being about rats but I thought that it was really well done. The animation was amazing as always. I am excited for it to come out on DVD.
    Karen

2009 ~ Hopefully next trip!
    1/2006 ~Coronado Springs
    12/1999 ~Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

We saw it earlier today and our whole family (DW and three boys ages 5 - 10) loved it. As far as where it ranks among the other PIXAR movies................hard to say, they are all great. In my opinion, they can just add one more to the list.

For those of you who are unsure about how the merchandising for this movie will go, I have no idea. But, let's not forget that the most marketed character ever is a mouse.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The one thing that I wonder about with this film is, will it really reach people in that place most of the other Pixar films did? I mean, at the end of the day, this is a very odd story. A rat that loves to cook? Will that resonate people?
    I think the audiences for Ratatouille will grow as positive word of mouth about the film begins to spread.

I'm reminded of the wonderful speech that the food critic Anton Ego gives at the end of the film as he's giving his review on Gasteau's as to just one reason why the story is charming and how it asks us to challenge our expectations and preconceived notions of what is possible and in line with the message from many of Pixar or Disney's films.

What really makes Ratatouille excel over other animated films is that it focuses on the characters and the story- you're not wrapped up in fast, cheap of the moment lines of dialog or sight gags or even in having some well known actor lend their voice to the role (and doing their same shtick, just as an animated character a la Shrek) which add a timelessness to the film and really makes it enjoyable.

While the voice actors in Ratatouille might not be a huge draw on name or recongition, they add such warm performances to the characters.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, I don't get it. Maybe I'm too dense but I really didn't enjoy the film. My kids didn't enjoy the film. There were a fair amount of children mulling about during the film, which normally would drive me nuts, but I totally understood. I didn't see the appeal of the film. Yes, the animation was beautiful and the effects were amazing, but nothing seemed to resonate with me. For the love of Pete, it was a British food critic panning French food!?!

Sorry, just don't get it. No offense to those that do, I guess I'm just in the minority on this one.
    Nothing is impossible, it just hasn't been done yet!

CosmicRay's DH
    DVC Member since 2010 (Saratoga Springs)

Been there more times than I can count. Used to be close enough to watch the fireworks every night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizHawk View Post
    Sorry, just don't get it. No offense to those that do, I guess I'm just in the minority on this one.
    +1 for the minority. I've loved every Pixar so far, but this one did nothing for me.
    John Warner
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Director of Orlando Photography & Videography

DVC - BLT, SS, Aulani, Vero Bch, OKW

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Remy's recipe for Ratatouille

So, for those who have seen the film- perhaps you might be interested in having a recipe for the version of ratatouille that Remy prepares for Anton Ego... well, look no further because here is the exact recipe.

The dish as featured in the film is actually an adaptation of a recipe designed by Chef Thomas Keller of the French Laundry restaurant in Yountville, CA that he calls Confit Byaldi. Pixar had consulted with Chef Keller to think of how they could take a simple, peasant dish like ratatouille and elevate it to something to serve a food critic like Anton Ego (prepare it as if you knew the most famous critic in the world were coming to the restaurant is the challenge Pixar laid out) especially since ratatouille tends to be more of a side dish.

Interesting side note about Chef Keller is that for being such a highly regarded world-renowned chef, he had no formal culinary training.

Traditionally, ratatouille is a late summer dish from the Provence region of France that highlights the main vegetables of the harvest season- tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini with garlic and fresh herbs.

A byaldi (french cooking term that is derived from a dish native to Turkey) refers to a layered vegetable dish. In Turkey there's Imam Bayildi which is a stuffed eggplant with similar ingredients to ratatouille that is braised in olive oil. In this particular version the vegetables rest on a Piperade (a specialty of the Basque region that consists of sweet peppers and tomatoes cooked in olive oil).

Confit Byaldi (serves 4)

For the Piperade:
    1/2 red pepper, seeds and ribs removed
    1/2 yellow pepper, seeds and ribs removed
    1/2 orange pepper, seeds and ribs removed
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
    3 tomatoes (about 12 ounces total weight), peeled, seeded and finely diced, juices reserved
    1 sprig thyme
    1 sprig flat-leaf parsley
    1/2 bay leaf
    Kosher salt

For the vegetables:
    1 zucchini (4 to 5 ounces) sliced in 1/16-inch rounds
    1 Japanese eggplant, (4 to 5 ounces) sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
    1 yellow squash (4 to 5 ounces) sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
    4 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon thyme leaves
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the vinaigrette:
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    Assorted fresh herbs (thyme flowers, chervil, thyme)
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the Piperade: Heat an oven to 450 degrees. Place the pepper halves on a foil-lined sheet, cut side down. Roast until the skin loosens, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest until cool enough to handle. Peel and chop finely.

Combine the oil, garlic and onion in a medium skillet and cook over low heat on a stovetop until very soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, their juices, thyme, parsley and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat until very soft and very little liquid remains, about 10 minutes, do not brown; add peppers and simmer to soften them. Season to taste with salt and discard herbs. Reserve 1 tablespoon of mixture and spread remainder in bottom of an 8-inch ovenproof skillet.

To prepare the vegetables: Heat an oven to 275 degrees. In the center of a skillet arrange 8 alternating slices of vegetables, 2 each of zucchini, eggplant, squash and tomatoes, over the piperade, overlapping in a circle so that 1/4 inch of each slice is exposed. Continue alternating and overlapping vegetables in close spiral that lets slices mound slightly in center. Repeat until the pan is filled; all vegetables may not be needed.

Mix garlic, oil and thyme leaves in bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle over vegetables. Cover the skillet with foil and crimp edges to seal well. Bake until vegetables are tender when tested with a paring knife, about 2 hours. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more. (Lightly cover with foil if it starts to brown.) If there is excess liquid in pan, place over medium heat on stove until reduced. (At this point it may be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. If desired, reheat in 350-degree oven until warm.)

To make the vinaigrette: Combine the reserved piperade, oil, vinegar, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.

To serve: Heat your oven broiler and place the byaldi underneath until lightly browned. Cut in quarters and very carefully lift one quarter onto plate with an offset spatula. Turn the spatula 90 degrees, guiding byaldi into an accordian fan shape. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette around the plate.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I think that Pixar excels at is to take something you don't care about or is just unloveable and turn it around.

I didn't want to see Cars. I was thinking "how dumb, a movie about talking cars..." We went to see it and I loved it. The story was so well told that by the end it wasn't about cars at all.

The same goes for Ratatouille. Face it, for most people rats are unloveable and death to a kitchen. Who would ever feel empathy for a rat? Well by the end of the movie you do feel empathy and are cheering for that little guy.

Like all Pixar movies it is about friendship. Friendship comes in the most unlikely of places and we shouldn't cut people out of our lives just because they don't fit our idea of what a friend should look like. Friendships are priceless.

I loved this movie. I want to go back to Paris...
    "Guard the boat, mind the tide. Don't touch my dirt." Captain Jack Sparrow

CSR May '98
    POR May '02
    CBR June '06
    Next Trip... POFQ Sept '07
    Disneyland--too many times to count!

Post Thanks / Like

We went to see the movie today, and both me and my wife enjoyed it, though she thought it was also disgusting in a way. I told her that was the sign of a good job by Pixar ... the look and movement of the rats was very believable. We sat next to some girls who appeared to be around 7-9 years old, and they seem to like it very much ... They laughed quite a bit.

Another thing I love about Pixar is how well they do backgrounds and environments. You feel like your in Paris, and you felt like you were right along side Remy. I liked how so many of the perspectives were from the rat's point of view.

I agree the film did have sort of an independent film feel to it. I enjoyed that as well. Great job by Lou Romano, from the art department to voice actor, as the voice for Linguini. I also loved that at the end of the film credits it said something to the effect of:
    "100% animation ... NO MOTION CAPTURE" ... take that Happy Feet!
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    So, for those who have seen the film- perhaps you might be interested in having a recipe for the version of ratatouille that Remy prepares for Anton Ego... well, look no further because here is the exact recipe.
    Thank you for this recipe. It's a little more sophisticated than the casserole form of ratatouille. If it made Anton Ego swoon it must be really fabulous. Pixar did an excellent job with food visuals and the emotions involved with preparing and enjoying small portions of beautifully presented healthy food. I realize that sounds a bit stuffy but if one needs to prepare food everyday for a family you may as well get some enjoyment from it and throw in some creative juices while you're at it.

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Ratatouille doesn't sound delicious. It sounds like 'rat' and 'patootie'. 'Rat-patootie', which does not sound delicious.

For some reason that piece of dialog from the movie just really made me laugh.

The largest groan in the theater came from all the kids when Linguini and Colette kissed. hehe.

We enjoyed the movie and as always a Pixar short to start it off is always a wonderful bonus. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Keep 'em comin' !
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

DisneyJunkie Guest

Ok, so I saw Ratatouille last night. I had ZERO interest in seeing it (unlike with most Pixar films), but I had someone buy me a ticket and so I went.

Overall opinion: BORING

I have to say, aside from the phenomenally superb animation, I was quite disappointed and genuinely bored by this movie. The story was weak, and as I sat there I tried to imagine what the possible appeal for children could be with the movie, other than there being an animated, talking rat. I mean, come on, are small children going to want to watch a movie about cooking in Paris? I wouldn't have wanted to. This kind of flick is the opposite of previous Pixar classics like Incredible and Cars. At least with those, you're made to want to see it by the trailers and previews alone. Ratatouille had very few laughs, and a great deal of cliches and cop-out moments. Personally I'd rate the movie a C+, but only because of the terrific animation by Pixar.

Shame on Pixar for letting their standards drop so low.

BOO! Bad movie...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    My thoughts exactly. We saw and enjoyed it, but I don't think it's going to have the same mass appeal that the other Pixar films have had. I think you need to work harder at understanding the story in Ratatouille, and that may translate into fewer dollars at the box office.

It is a good movie, though, and I'd recommend seeing it.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I think the central message is "If you can dream it, you can be it" and everyone gets that message loud and clear.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this movie today and totally loved it. Paris was beautiful and I can't believe the use of light in the animation. Fantastic! There was a scene that had a little bit of fog or mist and it looked real enough to set a mood.

I didn't like the idea of a rat, but this rat actually seems cuddly! Remy is an individual and, as a rat, somewhat of a rebel because he doesn't like to get his front paws dirty since he eats with them. I love the scene where the rest of the rats helped out in the kitchen and Remy made sure they all were steam cleaned before touching food!

I found the looks of this movie to be very realistic, yet fun and creative. Anton Ego reminded me of the artwork of the creator of The Addams Family (Charles Addams?). The darkness and angles of the character stood out as creepy and the British accent, to me, made his character distinctive giving me the idea that is is an outsider who came to Paris to be the #1 food critic in Europe. I love the fact that we got to see that the man does have a heart.

The story line was great and It has a great message for kids who have the patience to watch it. I think to understand the movie a child has to be at an age where he/she is questioning their place in the world and wondering what it would be like to "be" something. There are enough movies that exist for younger kids and this one is a little different, giving an older child some things to think about.

I don't usually go to see a movie more than once, but I just might do that with this movie!

Also, the soundtrack is very cool.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED it!! I saw this movie two nights in a row and can't wait to see it again. I love Pixar animation and I really liked the story line. (Even if rats ARE creepy!)
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJunkie View Post
    I tried to imagine what the possible appeal for children could be with the movie, other than there being an animated, talking rat. I mean, come on, are small children going to want to watch a movie about cooking in Paris?
    Every child that I know that has seen this movie (including my own) have absolutely loved the movie. I haven't heard one child say they didn't like it.

Great movie, with the strongest story yet to come out of Pixar.
    1973 - Off Site
    1979 - Contemporary Resort
    1983- Off Site
    7/1994 - Port Orleans
    6/2003 - Off Site
    3/2005 - Coronado Springs Resort (5 Nights)
    April/May 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (8 Nights)
    Nov/Dec. 2007- Boardwalk (7 Nights)
    Next Trip: Nov/Dec 2010-Yacht Club (6 Nights)

DisneyJunkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2112 View Post
    Every child that I know that has seen this movie (including my own) have absolutely loved the movie. I haven't heard one child say they didn't like it.

Great movie, with the strongest story yet to come out of Pixar.

I find that very hard to believe (though not impossible) based on the reaction of many of the children in the same theater I was in when I saw it. Most were bored and just wanted to go home. I know other families with children and those children thought it was "dumb" (their word, not mine). Poor movie, with a very weak story. Shame on Pixar for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJunkie View Post
    I find that very hard to believe (though not impossible) based on the reaction of many of the children in the same theater I was in when I saw it. Most were bored and just wanted to go home. I know other families with children and those children thought it was "dumb" (their word, not mine). Poor movie, with a very weak story. Shame on Pixar for that.
    Interesting response. My children loved it, and poster after poster in this thread have also stated their children loved it, yet you find that hard to believe? Are we all lying to you?
    1973 - Off Site
    1979 - Contemporary Resort
    1983- Off Site
    7/1994 - Port Orleans
    6/2003 - Off Site
    3/2005 - Coronado Springs Resort (5 Nights)
    April/May 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (8 Nights)
    Nov/Dec. 2007- Boardwalk (7 Nights)
    Next Trip: Nov/Dec 2010-Yacht Club (6 Nights)

Post Thanks / Like

pedro, we had the same experience at our viewing of Ratatouille as DisneyJunkie. My daughter (who LOVES all other Pixar movies) and many (not a few, not several, but many) of the other children in the theater grew quite restless after about the first half of the show.

My family didn't care for the movie at all. We wanted to! We're not criticizing or picking it apart just for fun. We LOVE Disney/Pixar and had the highest hopes for this movie. But alas, it didn't do a thing for us. (despite the extraordinary artwork)

I'm glad that so many folks are liking the film. I'm glad all the kids in your theater did too. But I think it is very safe to say that there are children and adults (minority as they may be) that did not.

I don't think DisneyJunkie was calling anyone a liar. I think they were just trying to drive home the fact that the movie has not been well received by 100% of its audience.

Sorry...tension on these boards makes me uncomfortable! I feel like I have to step in and try to smooth things over!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero