Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Hotels to Institute Smoke-Free Policy June 1, 2007 - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Also, there is a a difference between a DSA and a EXTINGUISHING point. The ones that are mounted on the walls of buildings are extinguishing points, meaning those coming in from the parking lots must have their cigs out at that point. They cannot stand there and smoke and they will be penalized if they are caught. The ones with the stands are DSAs, usually located near the main lobby, there should be ones near the pools (not at the pools or bar but close) as well as each of the buildings.
    Is this common knowledge? I personally had never heard of EXTINGUISHING points vs DSA. In fact, I was told by a CM at a resort, if you see an ashtray then you can smoke in that area. Now it depends on the type of ashtray?

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Thanks for the info. I knew there was no way that an entrance was a designated smoking area. Obviously, if you can't smoke in the lobby, WDW doesn't really want a pile of butts outside the door.

There are some designated smoking areas that are right by the entrances to the resorts and are designated as such on the resort maps (Wilderness Lodge comes to mind), so you can't make the assumption all ashtrays by entrances are extinguishing points. Your best bet is to refer to a specific resort's map rather than assuming someone is breaking the rules.

Maybe a CM could shed light on a question I have. Looking at the resort maps, there are some resorts with many designated smoking areas such as Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Yacht/Beach Club, Polynesian and Pop Century. Conversely, the All-Stars and Contemporary have very few smoking areas. Was this the decision of each resort? Also, are there decent size signs in the designated smoking area identifying it as such?
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tink2006 View Post
    Is this common knowledge? I personally had never heard of EXTINGUISHING points vs DSA. In fact, I was told by a CM at a resort, if you see an ashtray then you can smoke in that area. Now it depends on the type of ashtray?
    Unfortunately, that is a dumb answer by the CM. There may be some designated smoking areas near entrances, but most times when you are entering a non-smoking facility you'll see an ashtray. That is so you will dispose of your cigarette neatly.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Also hoping they can enforce this! And I wish they would do more of it IN THE PARKS! Although on our latest visit, there were far fewer people disobeying the rules than in the supposedly not crowded months. I still don't like smelling someone's cigarettes as I walk through an area. Or lay my head down on my pillow to find it smelling strongly of smoke. I get headaches,too from the smoke. Thank you WDW!
    "I'm too excited to sleep."

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Maybe a CM could shed light on a question I have. Looking at the resort maps, there are some resorts with many designated smoking areas such as Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Yacht/Beach Club, Polynesian and Pop Century. Conversely, the All-Stars and Contemporary have very few smoking areas. Was this the decision of each resort? Also, are there decent size signs in the designated smoking area identifying it as such?
    The resorts got to choose the location and amounts of DSA's they were to place in. The actual layout of the resort is also might be a factor. Pop, Poly, Caribbean, Coronado and Yacht/Beach are really kinda spread out so they might have more in between but the All-Stars are relly considered one area and they might be adding in all the ones from Sports, Music and Movies (I know they are all under one PD service so they might be all under one count for DSA. Contemporary is mostly the Towers now, so everyone would have to go outside to smoke and there is really only like....3 or four entrances to the main building.)

The extinguishing points and DSA's came into effect at the same time. It was something that our leaders pointed out to us for when Guests would comment about the ashtrays on the walls, thinking it was a smoking area when it was not. So they pointed out that most of the time, the wall mounts will be extinguishing points will the ashtrays that are barrels or stands will be the DSA's. I can't say this is standard across all the resorts, but that's the general rule at mine.

Hope it helps? -^_^-

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: