Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Hotels to Institute Smoke-Free Policy June 1, 2007 - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Great move by Disney! Does this include the Swan and Dolphin even though they are Starwood?
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I am so happy I forgot to mention Non-smoking and I thought I would have to call back.
    2manykats (Yes I am a crazy cat lady)
    1996 Sept OKW
    1998 Sept All Star Music
    2001 Sept All Star Movies
    2001 Dec All Star Sports
    2003 Oct Poly
    2005 Sept CBR
    2007 Sept/Oct POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I too, am glad for the total smoking ban inside WDW rooms. I must say though, I'm a little surprised by the fact that you can't smoke on balconies. I know the smoke can travel, but I wonder how many people will smoke in the room instead of being seen on the balconies breaking the rule.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from POFQ and all I saw were smokers out in front of their non-smoking rooms. It was horrible to run the guantlet of smoke just to get anywhere. Also the mess that was left behind by them. Disgusting, can't these smokers put their cigaretts out anywhere else but the gardens?!?!

I sure hope as well that this rule will be enforced.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I am a smoker and this is devestating news to me. I never break the rules and only smoke in disginated areas and always request a smoking room (and get a non-smoking room for my family members who don't smoke). I have booked our dream vacation for this summer, celebrating my son's graduation from high school, 13 days at WL...now I have to rethink the entire thing. I can't imagine not being able to relax in my own room that I am paying a premium price for...but to have to go outside with strangers, at night, just to smoke. I try to quit every Monday but by Tuesday I'm smoking again. Now this adds SO MUCH stress to what is supposed to be a relaxing dream vacation.

I understand the elation of all of the non-smokers and those with allergies. Truly, I do. But for those of us who do smoke, this is just not good news. I feel like my favorite place in the world is now gone.
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon93
    Does this include the Swan and Dolphin even though they are Starwood?
    No, this only applies to Disney Owned & Operated Hotels; however, The Swan already has a similiar policy in place.
    Figment! aka Jason șoș
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

This is great news. I hope they will enforce it.
    They really need to enforce it in the parks. I
    see people smoking all the time and not in the
    area for smokers. They are just walking along
    smoking. In Florida we have a non-smoking in
    all public places which is great. When we travel
    to another state it is awful to smell the smoke
    while you are trying to eat even if you ask for
    non-smoking you can still smell it. Thank you
    DISNEY!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also hoping they rethink where the designated smoking areas will be located. I found it irritating at All-Star Music and All-Star Movies that you had to walk through a wall of smoke as you exited the main buildings towards the rooms.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Woo hoo! After the experience we had at the Wilderness Lodge last year, this news thrilled me. We had requested a non-smoking room, but ended up with the worst smelling room I've ever been in. My husband used to smoke, and the stench of the room literally made him sick. We complained to the Front Desk and they offered to put us in another room, but we had to make the change IMMEDIATELY....which would have meant missing our dinner at the Whispering Canyon. So, they offered to deodorize the room for us. Now let me interject this point: Considering how much it costs for a room at the Wilderness Lodge, I was more than a little miffed that they didn't do more. The room was so bad that they had to "deodorize" it 3 TIMES...and it still stunk. But at least after the third time it was tolerable and we spent as little time in the room as possible. I was already stressing over what we would end up with on our next visit, so I must say again that this is fantastic news!!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    I'm also hoping they rethink where the designated smoking areas will be located. I found it irritating at All-Star Music and All-Star Movies that you had to walk through a wall of smoke as you exited the main buildings towards the rooms.
    That is an excellent point. My sister, who is a smoker, noticed that they had placed designated smoking areas in areas where the general population would have to walk through (the one right outside Rockin' Rollercoaster comes to mind). If WDW makes the same mistake with the placing of the smoking areas at the resorts, I implore everyone to voice your concern with WDW and not take it out on the smokers. They are are only going where they were designated.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

'94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

This announcement actually concerns me a little....

I think you're going to find a lot more smokers sneaking their fix in a lot more places now. If the parks are smoke free except for designated areas, and so many people here complain that they see so many people not sticking to the rules there, do you really think they're going to stick to the rules at the resorts??? Really?

Sure, if someone checks out of a room and it reeks of smoke, or the cleaning staff is given orders to report the potential offenders, then they could possibly be charged the monitary fee (I stress possibly), but I HIGHLY doubt that those who smoke outside their rooms (and they still will) and leave their butts on the ground (and they still will) will get any charge, because how will Disney prove it was them??? I doubt they'll hire CM's to walk around and watch for rogue smokers. That would be more cost to WDW, which in turn, would result in higher room costs, which we all know nobody wants here. And, a guest can complain, but by the time a manager would investigate, the offender would be gone.

I have a feeling a lot of those applauding the new rules will be the first to complain here that their trip was ruined (or at least tarnished) by rogue smokers at their resorts that didn't follow those rules (and there will be those that don't follow the rules).

I don't smoke, and even though cig smoke affects me very badly, I never had a problem with guests grabbing a quick smoke on their balconies or walkways. I only take a second to walk past them. I want to make it clear that I don't think all smokers will break the rules....goodness knows I've been in support of smokers in all of these smoking threads. BUT, there are those who do, and they will break the rules. I just think you're going to see more and more of it at the resorts now.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Surferstitch. I have asthma, and I hate being stuck in a room with someone smoking. But, if you're outside, it only takes a second to walk past them.

Unfortunately, my parents, both brothers, and my grandmother all smoke. My parents wish they could quit and have tried many times. Any doctor will tell you the addiction is stronger than heroin. My grandmother is old and cranky and has no intention of quitting.

This is going to put a huge damper in our family vacation this september. I had planned to request a smoking room for my parents and brother. They have no problem smoking in the designated areas in the parks, but to not be able to come home after a long day and smoke in your own room? Are they going to have to walk way across the resort to some designated area? This will be tough. I'm scared to tell them.
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post
    Unfortunately, I am a smoker and this is devestating news to me. I never break the rules and only smoke in disginated areas and always request a smoking room (and get a non-smoking room for my family members who don't smoke). I have booked our dream vacation for this summer, celebrating my son's graduation from high school, 13 days at WL...now I have to rethink the entire thing. I can't imagine not being able to relax in my own room that I am paying a premium price for...but to have to go outside with strangers, at night, just to smoke. I try to quit every

Monday but by Tuesday I'm smoking again. Now this adds SO MUCH stress to what is supposed to be a relaxing dream vacation.

I understand the elation of all of the non-smokers and those with allergies. Truly, I do. But for those of us who do smoke, this is just not good news. I feel like my favorite place in the world is now gone.
    We are smokers as well. Just like you, we do not break the rules and are considerate of others. I know how you feel. We usually stay in a non smoking room with the understanding that we could smoke almost anywhere outside (remember, we are considerate smokers). We would never smoke around other people.

I just got off the phone with WDW. There are going to be designated smoking areas at each resort. They have not determined where these areas will be. It will be up to each individual resort. We are staying at POR in August. The CM was nice enough to call the hotel, while I was on hold to see if they had determined the smoking areas - not yet. I would suggest you call WL directly to see where the smoking areas will be. Hoepfully, this will alleviate some of your stress.

The CM also mentioned that it would be a $250 "recovery fee" for smoking in the rooms or balconies. This is more for information -we wouldn't break the rules

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingbooty View Post
    But, if you're outside, it only takes a second to walk past them....Are they going to have to walk way across the resort to some designated area? This will be tough. I'm scared to tell them.
    I feel for the smokers. Unfortunately, there isn't a win-win solution to the whole smoking issue. As you said, it's tough for smokers to be out at the parks all day, come back, and then get a craving and have to walk a good distance to find a designated smoking spot. You mention only walking briefly through it currently, the problem there is that my DW is so allergic to smoke even that brief exposure will trigger her asthma (of course, I tease her about being allergic to about 90% of the substances on earth, so it's not just smoke). If I see smokers on the balcony or in front of a door we have to find an alternate route. I'm concerned about those who break the rules lighting up in the room next to us and DW having a bad attack as the air filters through to our room. 95% of smokers will, I'm sure, abide by the rules, but the remaining 5% (who will break the rules no matter what's in place as we see by those smoking all over the place in the parks) ruins it for others. This is definitely very good news for those who don't smoke and those who have health issues related to smoke, but I hate how much this will negatively impact the smokers. Certainly I know if I had to walk halfway across the resort to drink my morning coffee I wouldn't be too happy either, especially if its cold or rainy.

Thank you to those of you smokers who are considerate. I know you're not all rude beasts as you're sometimes portrayed. For your own health, I wish you could stop smoking (of course, for my own health I wish I'd stop eating McDonalds), but I very much appreciate those of you who are so considerate of the health of others.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy to hear this news! Every trip I would stress about what would happen if we couldn't get a non-smoking room. Sleeping in the lobby as a protest came to mind! This is GREAT news for me and my family.

That being said, I do realize that this is going to be hard on the smokers, and I don't know what I would think if I was a smoker about being so limited on my vacation.

Still, seems that this is a good decision for most, and I'm hoping Disney will make appropriate smoking areas available, so smokers can still enjoy their trip without too much hassle.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Southern New Jersey ( only 1024 miles away )
    Post Thanks / Like

This is GREAT news, a long time coming, however I hate to put a damper on the idea but it won't be enforced,, The current secutiry does not enforce non-smoking in the parks. We have watched security look at a guest smoking in non=smoking areas of the parks and NOT say a word.. This is very disappointing. So we will take this change with a grain of salt and see what happens.. Again GREAT idea.. however if it is not enforced it won't mean anything..

1973,76,78,79,81,82 Off Site
    1994,96,97- ASSP
    1996,97- CBR
    1998- DCL-MAGIC (HONEYMOON)
    1999- ASMV
    2004- DCL-WONDER
    2005- CSR
    2002,03,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13, 14 F.W.
    2008-DCL WONDER (Double Dip)
    2010 DCL WONDER
    2013 DCL DREAM
    ș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Next Trip: F.W. December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings. A part of me feels like this is a step in the right direction, now if they would just ban perfume (no offense intended to anyone) from property, my asthma would get a rest, but the other part of me feels really bad for smokers. Plus I've been trying to arrange a family reunion at WDW, but my brother-in-law and his wife are smokers and I know they won't stay on property with this rule which will be less fun for all of us. They have tried really hard to quit so many times, so I don't think there is much of a chance in less than a year from now.

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to hear that Disney is finally doing this. Though I was lucky enough to outgrow my asthma problems about 20 years ago, it still comes back once in a while, and smoking is one of the main things that can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    We had a closet smoker next door to us at our non-smoking Polynesian rooms for the last few days of our last trip, and it was quite unpleasant. So while I applaud the boldness of the move, I worry. Rule breakers are everywhere.
    Maybe the answer is the airplane route ... more smoke dectectors in the rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I too, am glad for the total smoking ban inside WDW rooms. I must say though, I'm a little surprised by the fact that you can't smoke on balconies.
    Having lived in apartments, one of the worse things you can have is a smoker who lives under you, and goes out to their balcony to smoke. It is just like the person is smoking in your room.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I know someone in the hotel industry and actually they haven't seen a trend towards NOT smoking, but a trend for smokers to request non-smoking rooms because the smoking rooms stink of cigarettes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tygger7 View Post
    :We had requested a non-smoking room, but ended up with the worst smelling room I've ever been in. The room was so bad that they had to "deodorize" it 3 TIMES...and it still stunk.
    I am also very sensitive to the smell of smoke, long after the smoker(s) have left I know they were there. I hope the former smoking rooms are properly redone/cleaned by Disney, to rid the smell of cigarette smoke.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos To Disney!
    Polynesian Resort (1st Anniversary) - Dec 2007
    Coronado Springs Resort (Honeymoon) - Dec 2006

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: