Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Hotels to Institute Smoke-Free Policy June 1, 2007

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Walt Disney World Resort Hotels to Institute Smoke-Free Policy June 1, 2007

Walt Disney World Resort Hotels Go Smoke-Free
    Move to smoke-free is in response to increased guest demand for smoke-free rooms

Walt Disney World Resort Media Release
    May 1, 2007

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., – Walt Disney World Resort Senior Vice President for Operations Erin Wallace announced today, all Disney-owned and operated hotels at the Walt Disney World Resort will become smoke-free by June 1, 2007. The policy also applies to all Disney Vacation Club Resorts. With more than 20 Disney owned and operated resorts on property; this represents the largest single site resort complex to institute this type of smoking policy change.

“We make adjustments to our operations based on guest demand,” Wallace said. “This policy complements our efforts to provide our guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.”

During the last five years guest demand for smoking rooms at the Walt Disney World Resort have been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World’s 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional. This transition allows us to better accommodate the increasing number of guests requesting smoke-free rooms. This trend is not specific to the Walt Disney World Resort. According to the American Automobile Association, more travelers are requesting smoke-free environments.

"With more than 50 million members, AAA represents North America's largest traveler group and increasingly our members, like many Americans, are demanding smoke free accommodations." said Sandra Hughes, VP of Travel for AAA. "Hotels are responding by going beyond the traditional standard of smoking and non-smoking rooms, and are going smoke-free throughout their properties."

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios and balconies and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, common areas, restaurants and convention spaces. Additionally, in January 2000 the Walt Disney World Resort theme and water parks became smoke-free with smoking allowed in designated smoking areas only.

-------------------------------------------------------

The following has been internally announced:
    New Smoke-Free Policy

All Walt Disney World® Resorts, including Disney Vacation Club Resorts, will become smoke-free on June 1, 2007. During the past five years Guest demand for smoking rooms has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional.

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Guests and Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.
    Although not specifically mentioned in the internal announcment, Reservations Cast have reported that information has come across their systems that a monetary penalty will be assessed against Guests who violate the new Smoke-Free Policy.

-------------------------------------------------------

Walt Disney World Hotels are Going Smoke-Free Starting June 1

Scott Powers | Staff Writer
    Orlando Sentinel
    May 1, 2007

In what company officials are calling the largest single-site resort complex to institute such smoking restrictions, Walt Disney World announced today it will ban smoking in all guest rooms, indoor public areas, balconies and other locations at all company-owned and -operated hotels, and all Disney Vacation Club resorts at Disney World. That is 20 properties altogether.

Smoking will be allowed in designated, outdoor smoking areas only.

"We make adjustments to our operations based on guest demand," Senior Vice President Erin Wallace said. "This policy complements our efforts to provide our guests with the healthy living options they are requesting."

Walt Disney Parks & Resorts initially banned smoking at Disneyland's three hotels in California last year but allowed smoking to continue at Disney World hotels because there was more demand from guests for smoking rooms at the Florida resort than at Disneyland. But apparently there was not enough demand.

During the last five years, guest demand for smoking rooms at the Walt Disney World Resort has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional, Disney reported in a news release.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! DW will be thrilled since she's highly allergic to smoke. I just hope they enforce it. I know it's really hard to enforce it in the parks (since they, too, are supposed to be smoke free except in designated areas), but should be less so at the resorts.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

This seems like good news for my very allergic family. But on the other hand, I think it tempts smokers to sneak in-room smokes now that they have no option to book a smoking room.
    We had a closet smoker next door to us at our non-smoking Polynesian rooms for the last few days of our last trip, and it was quite unpleasant. So while I applaud the boldness of the move, I worry. Rule breakers are everywhere.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

What wonderful news!

I too hope the new rules are enforced.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I know someone in the hotel industry and actually they haven't seen a trend towards NOT smoking, but a trend for smokers to request non-smoking rooms because the smoking rooms stink of cigarettes.

I can tell you that I haven't really seen a significant decline in people smoking in my little world.

I do applaud this move however, but it will be interesting to see if it's actually enforced in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT news!
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

I know this will be difficult for folks who smoke but I, for one, welcome the change!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

i just recently stopped smoking..(april 13th will be 4 months)...but...Disney has gotta do what they gotta do i guess.....but will they at least be smart enough to have designated areas at the resorts for people who do smoke?!?..just because lots of people ask for a non smoking room doesnt no one smokes anymore...
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Even when I smoked, I couldn't bring myself to smoking in WDW rooms (even the smoking ones), because I was sure that some family with a 3 year old was going to have the room after me, and I couldn't live with that.

I do remember several families years ago complaining about the fact that non-smoking rooms weren't guaranteed (just like connecting rooms). This is definitely a good move! And maybe a little bit overdue.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    Even when I smoked, I couldn't bring myself to smoking in WDW rooms (even the smoking ones), because I was sure that some family with a 3 year old was going to have the room after me, and I couldn't live with that.
    If I could get off topic for a minute, I just have to say that I think that is incredibly cool!

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    ..but will they at least be smart enough to have designated areas at the resorts for people who do smoke?!?.....
    It did say in the announcement that specific outdoor areas would be designated for smokers at the resorts.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic news. For my DH & I who have terrible allergies and my DD and her asthma.

Now if only they could catch up to our home state and ban it in all restaurants!

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Smoking - YEAH!!!!

As a person who is highly sensitive to smoke, I am very happy to hear this. Our last trip we ended up with a connecting room (no idea why)and the people next door smoked like fiends and the rooms were all non-smoking. I had to stuff towels between the door and then at the bottom to try to stop the smoke from coming in. I complained to housekeeping and noted my sensitivity to smoke. We did not have a problem after that. I think it is a good idea to charge people who break the rule and smoke in the room. There is a charge to clean up the odor and it generally does linger in the room for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

I was always a bit miffed by the fact that a non-smoking room was never "guaranteed"
    On one of my trips with my BF, we walked into our room and after 2 minutes I had a headache from the smell of smoke. Luckily Pop was willing to give us a new room. I don't know how I would've made it if there wasn't one available, due to allergies which seem to just get worse every year.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic news!!! They need to make sure they post signs on the balconies.

No more walking through clouds of smoke on the resort walkways.

Smart move Disney!
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

I also applaude Disney for this move. This law has been in place in Ottawa for about 3 years now.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I too think this is great! Lawrence, KS, where im from has had this in place for a couple of years. No smoking in any public building, and I for one think it's great. People can still go outside to smoke.
    Walt Disney World College Program:
    Upcoming: 08-27-07 to 01-04-08 Operations!!!

"Keep Moving Forward"-Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

YAAAAAAAY! *does a happy dance*

I hate the smell of smoke and I prefer not to die of lung cancer. My hometown just placed a smoking ban in all resturants and you must be at lest 25 feet away from any enterence to smoke...so I am pleased to see Disney is hopping on board!
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Good move Disney! Although I know its probably gonna be hard for all of you smokers out there, being in a smoke smelling room for your whole vacation can probably really ruin the magic for you.

I applaud Disney for this move!
    Mike D.

Coronado Springs: Aug 2008
    Pop Century: 2007
    Port Orleans French Quarter: 2006
    All Star Music: 2005
    Offsite: 1994

LETS GO YANKEES

Post Thanks / Like

Great!! Hope they enforce it at the resorts and do a better job of enforcing it at the parks.
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: