Quantcast Should Teachers Take Classroom Time off for Disney? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Should Teachers Take Time Off from School for Vacation?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

72 76.60%
  • No

22 23.40%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teachers Taking Time Off

I think if a teacher wants to take a vacation during the school year, it would be ideal to take a few personal days hooked on to days school is closed.

However, if the teacher has a wonderful opportunity to go somewhere and it happens to fall during the school year, I say let them go!
    " But you see, I have the other slipper! "

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music
    Next Trip - September 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading this thread and talking to other teachers about all this. I finally did vote in the poll -- I voted NO, teachers should not take classroom time off for Disney. *Clarification: Teachers should not take more than 1 day off at a time for personal recreation.

Comparing teaching to other jobs is apples & oranges. When you have a job like my brother, who is an engineer for GE, you get 4 weeks of vacation (or however much) to use basically whenever you choose. Last year he could not use his vacation until December because of a project he was working on. Now with teaching, we have 'built in' vacations. This is the way it's been for years. Teachers are not allotted a certain number of weeks off because we already get weeks off, we just can't choose when we take them. When I entered the teaching profession, I knew that these would be my vacation times. It's part of the job terms -- like when you work for the IRS and you know that you'll always be busy in April. Also, I guess you could think of teaching as seasonal employment. We get paid for the days that we work. That would explain why we don't get paid vacation time.

I think the part of this debate that gets confusing is the fact that every school district is different. I had dinner with teacher friends the other night and we all teach in different districts in CT.

Friend #1: one day off each year, don't need to give reason
    Friend #2: 5 days off each year, specific reasons needed for each day
    Me: 3 days off, don't need to tell reason
    DH: 2 days off, specific reasons needed for each day

The only thing that was the same in each district was that no matter whether you needed to supply the reason for your personal day, it should not be used for personal entertainment. These are days to use for 'business that cannot be conducted after the school day'. Of course, each district will have different clauses in their contracts. The point is, teachers around here do not expect to get lengthy vacation time from personal days. Among teachers we know that some of us will take a long weekend now and then but that is totally understandable. More than one day, to me, seems like you're taking advantage of your contract.

It's nice to hear that people support teachers and what we're doing. It is a demanding profession. As for me, I will be going to WDW in the summer and enjoying every minute of it!

TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to go off topic but I HAVE to respond (and I am chuckling right now so it is in good humor!)

I did my original calculations on *take home pay* for the 34,000.00 salary. I took out 37% as that is how much of my DH's salary goes to health insurance, taxes, retirement, etc. I always think in terms of take home pay and I shouldn't because everyone pays taxes, right? I'll do gross calculations here.

34,000.00 divided by 185 days is 184.00 per day or 23.00 for an 8 hour day (lets assume the weekend work and late nights are free). This is NOT take home pay. I make 30.00 an hour landscaping (when I do!) and I am cheap; most make 45.00 per hour. I'll likely be paying a babysitter 15.00 per hour for my three children when I do landscape. I find it insane that 23.00 per hour for a teacher of 20 children is a lot! My plumber makes 75.00 per hour and my mechanic was 65.00 per hour last time I used them. I complained ONCE about a plumber who came to my house for two minutes and charged me 75.00. Someone asked me if I would like to be a plumber! I laughed (I'd be a terrible plumber) and I never complained again! Now, I say more power to them for making a great career choice!!

Anyway, I'm just one of those people who wants EVERYONE to make enough money to get by.

Seriously, only lead your son to teaching if it is in his heart. Every family I know where the main source of income is education is not living large. Almost all have landscaping, bartending, etc. extra jobs because they don't take home enough from teaching. I don't know any head of household teacher without a second job. That's the truth. I think people who go into it looking for the time off are sorely disappointed because it is a lot of work if you're good at it.
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    I've been reading this thread and talking to other teachers about all this. I finally did vote in the poll -- I voted NO, teachers should not take classroom time off for Disney. *Clarification: Teachers should not take more than 1 day off at a time for personal recreation.

Comparing teaching to other jobs is apples & oranges. When you have a job like my brother, who is an engineer for GE, you get 4 weeks of vacation (or however much) to use basically whenever you choose. Last year he could not use his vacation until December because of a project he was working on. Now with teaching, we have 'built in' vacations. This is the way it's been for years. Teachers are not allotted a certain number of weeks off because we already get weeks off, we just can't choose when we take them. When I entered the teaching profession, I knew that these would be my vacation times. It's part of the job terms -- like when you work for the IRS and you know that you'll always be busy in April. Also, I guess you could think of teaching as seasonal employment. We get paid for the days that we work. That would explain why we don't get paid vacation time.
    I agree with you TikiG! Funny but I was thinking the same thing......it's just part of the job and you do know about it when you sign on. I love all the support, too I would LOVE to vacation during a slow time but in reality I'm happy to vacation at all! You said it very well...thanks!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    Sheraton Vistana Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmagic4 View Post
    I agree with you TikiG! Funny but I was thinking the same thing......it's just part of the job and you do know about it when you sign on. I love all the support, too I would LOVE to vacation during a slow time but in reality I'm happy to vacation at all! You said it very well...thanks!
    Completely disagree. Not to be offensive, and I understand what you are saying. However I, as with most teachers, work very hard to support my students in everything they do. But I find usually in the middle of the year, that my own children start wanting a little more of my attentions away from work. I will take my three personal days and create an extended weekend just to have a break with my own children. As I said in an earlier post, I care deeply for my students, but I love my own children more. If we as a family need to blow off some steam at WDW or anywhere for that matter, I will do it with out a second thought.

That being said, we as teacher do know what we commit to when we sign that contract. I think personal responsibility comes into play. Before you take that break, you need good solid contingency plans for that sub. You need your students to have enough to do so that there is not enough time to find problems. These breaks create great opportunities to create remediation activities.

Another good point, your students might need that break from you just as much as you need it from them. I find that by March my patience has started reaching its saturation point. A great time to take a step away and blow off that steam. Once again this requires impeccible planning on your part but it can work. Nothing makes me happier than to hear a student say "I missed you" and to realize that you missed them too.

I guess the point I make is that it all comes down to how well planned you can be. Do you tend to abuse the system, and lets face it we have all had our moments, or do you tend to work until you abuse yourself .

Either way, the points brought up by those who voted NO are just as valid as the YES votes.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally just voted in this poll, if for no other reason than to see the results.

Jeez, I find it incredible that so many people have opinions on teachers' lifestyles, salaries, vacation time, etc...

The poll asked a simple question: Should teachers take time off for a WDW vacation?

What this has to do with salaries is beyond me!

So to all you teachers out there who care for children, educate our future generations, and put up with all the critics, THANK YOU and keep up the good work.

I was appalled to read how there are "bad teachers." Sure there are - but there are also bad doctors, judges, cops, and garbagemen too. We just don't deal with them as often as we deal with teachers. The vast majority of those in the teaching profession - at least those I've met - genuinely care about their jobs and the kids they work with.

And for what it's worth, I find it amazing that people can fret about what a teacher makes in salary. Man oh man. A-Rod makes 25 million a year. Manny Ramirez makes 23. Our president (regardless of what you think of the man and his positions) makes 400,000 (talk about underpaid!). Hedge fund managers make upwards of 50 - 100 million annually (yes, that is an accurate statement and not hearsay). So when we entrust our youth to teachers, we should pay them peanuts? Come ON!!!

So now I've gone off topic. Sorry.
    Just want to say, if teachers can take off, go for it. If they can't, they'll have to wait for school vacations. Good for them, I say. A family break has to be as welcoming to a teacher as it is for the rest of the world.

Just my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    I finally just voted in this poll, if for no other reason than to see the results.

Jeez, I find it incredible that so many people have opinions on teachers' lifestyles, salaries, vacation time, etc...

The poll asked a simple question: Should teachers take time off for a WDW vacation?

So to all you teachers out there who care for children, educate our future generations, and put up with all the critics, THANK YOU and keep up the good work.

I was appalled to read how there are "bad teachers." Sure there are - but there are also bad doctors, judges, cops, and garbagemen too. We just don't deal with them as often as we deal with teachers. The vast majority of those in the teaching profession - at least those I've met - genuinely care about their jobs and the kids they work with.

And for what it's worth, I find it amazing that people can fret about what a teacher makes in salary. Man oh man. A-Rod makes 25 million a year. Manny Ramirez makes 23. Our president (regardless of what you think of the man and his positions) makes 400,000 (talk about underpaid!). Hedge fund managers make upwards of 50 - 100 million annually (yes, that is an accurate statement and not hearsay). So when we entrust our youth to teachers, we should pay them peanuts? Come ON!!!

Just want to say, if teachers can take off, go for it. If they can't, they'll have to wait for school vacations. Good for them, I say. A family break has to be as welcoming to a teacher as it is for the rest of the world.

Just my $0.02
    AMEN- When you run for Senate can I be your campaign manager?

Post Thanks / Like

I know, I know, I went off topic on my own thread! But someone else did it first

My original question had nothing to do with salaries but I really felt I had to answer when it was brought up.....shame on me, I know

All in good spirit!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    Sheraton Vistana Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
    I am actually shocked that some people say NO! Why are teachers any different than any other profession? They deserve some time off, too! And not just in the summer...
    I completely agree.

Let's not all forget that some teachers don't get a summer break either....it could be a year round schedule or they could be working summer school.

Post Thanks / Like

Teachers have lives too! As long as they don't abuse privileges, yes, go for it!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to say, if teachers can take off, go for it. If they can't, they'll have to wait for school vacations. Good for them, I say. A family break has to be as welcoming to a teacher as it is for the rest of the world.Just my $0.02
    Big of yours!

Check this out!! Last night I got a late call--through the grapevine I found out that our school board has decided to cancel school Wed. " to give employees the opportunity to participate in a rally at the state capitol for raises" ....Hitch--we may have to make it up with a full day the last day of school--the day I have booked (an original half day) to fly out to WDW, and the next day also. I will still be going , so I will either be docked about $300 for missing a day and a half (I'm out of days thanks to surgery earlier--no choice), or at least $100 if I come up with a doctor's excuse....Plan B would be to cut trip short (can't rearrange flight plans....), or extend it to our full length by adding on days (can't cause everything is booked up, and can't rearrange flight plans....forget reservations.....)I was TRYing to leave when they told us we'd be out, and they have changed the game. No voting, no notice, no choice. No students involved here, just teacher work days. I would not have taken this Wed. off, and could have gotten a sub if I had chosen too. Have offered to work through the Wed., but was told not to, cause it probably wouldn't count. How about that?

Principals' meeting is tomorrow, where it will be hashed out, and final rulings made. My principal is normally great about all this, and always asks me how my trip was if I take off. Hope he can pull a little magic here.

Have been wondering as I read some of the previous posts if people have a clue what teaching is like these days....Yes, many days it is glorious, and you reach the kids with the excitement of learning, and it is such an honor to be a part of these lives...but we wear quite a few hats. Psychiatrist, coach, nurse, law officer, drug enforcement, referee, family counselor, detective, mom, dad, ....This year alone I'm dealing with a personal cancer scare, major surgery, a pregnant girl in my homeroom who went the full term and shared her adventures with the other 150 students in our (did I mention this is SIXth?) grade, neglectful and sue-happy parents, a bi-polar student who has pulled a knife on her brother and sister, a boy who is this close to the edge of giving up because mom is a dopehead who steals his meds and gives him empty capsules and his guardian is his drunk grandmother, another boy who rarely eats and is on the lam as we speak from his homicidal grandmother who kidnapped him for four years previously and is apparently in the area again, Katrina victims in class and on the staff who were on rooftops for days and swam through water pushing bodies out of the way...I am not looking for sympathy here, but just wanted to share what our lives are like sometimes. I personally will be kissing WDW soil very soon, and am so grateful to be able to do so.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom View Post
    .I am not looking for sympathy here, but just wanted to share what our lives are like sometimes. I personally will be kissing WDW soil very soon, and am so grateful to be able to do so.
    I hope it works out for you! I talked about teachers getting docked in one of my other posts here; really is unfair. I hope your school will make an exception since you have confirmed flight plans already. Our system normally only allows vacations during the planned breaks but they allowed my DH to take five days when we went on our trip from the Make a WIsh Foundation. So, it can happen! Have a great trip and please let us know what happens
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    Sheraton Vistana Resort

just2mickey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom View Post
    Have been wondering as I read some of the previous posts if people have a clue what teaching is like these days....Yes, many days it is glorious, and you reach the kids with the excitement of learning, and it is such an honor to be a part of these lives...but we wear quite a few hats. Psychiatrist, coach, nurse, law officer, drug enforcement, referee, family counselor, detective, mom, dad, ....This year alone I'm dealing with a personal cancer scare, major surgery, a pregnant girl in my homeroom who went the full term and shared her adventures with the other 150 students in our (did I mention this is SIXth?) grade, neglectful and sue-happy parents, a bi-polar student who has pulled a knife on her brother and sister, a boy who is this close to the edge of giving up because mom is a dopehead who steals his meds and gives him empty capsules and his guardian is his drunk grandmother, another boy who rarely eats and is on the lam as we speak from his homicidal grandmother who kidnapped him for four years previously and is apparently in the area again, Katrina victims in class and on the staff who were on rooftops for days and swam through water pushing bodies out of the way...I am not looking for sympathy here, but just wanted to share what our lives are like sometimes. I personally will be kissing WDW soil very soon, and am so grateful to be able to do so.
    Thank you, thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like

I had to vote no. I view the commitment to teach as similar to my commitment while in the military...mission first. We had "block leave" (when I was serving) where we had to take vacation during a set time. It's all about service to the country/community.

That being said, I thank all those who choose to serve as teachers, and I have a great respect for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I wouldn't care because what the teacher does is none of my buisness. also if she is going to wdw then it doesn;t matter.
    Taylor

been over 10 times and aint stoppin.

Post Thanks / Like

I say yes. I know that the vast majority of my teachers, from elementry school to college have all worked over the summer--sometimes second jobs, but mostly they worked with the school board (making sure they're not ruining our school system TOO badly, because trust me, they would if they could), attending workshops and the like.

They are highly underpaid and underappreciated. Other people can take time off from their work, why can't teachers? It's not like the students are not being educated during the time--they have subs for a reason. If they want to take a little time off, I see nothing wrong with it.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Around here, summer vacations for both spouses is very hard to come by. I honestly think that teachers and students should be given time off for a vacation in the school year if need be. As long as it isn't abused to where they are always gone or a student never shows up and is failing, etc. Not everyone enjoys the ability to get off from work during the summer.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Its funny that I ran across this thread. I am getting ready to go on a disney vacation this December. One of the reasons we decided to go this December is because I am graduating May 2008. I am going to be a teacher. We decided to go one last time in case I am not able to when I am a teacher. I hope I will be able to though, I love Disney at Christmas time.

**Paige**
    "Though her words are simple and few, listen, listen, shes calling to you..."

Next trip:
    Dec. 6-14, 2007-Pop with Monica...yay!!

Dec. 6-12, 2006-Pop with DH
    May 1999-All Star Music
    June 1998-off property :(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpoppinsgirl View Post
    Its funny that I ran across this thread. I am getting ready to go on a disney vacation this December. One of the reasons we decided to go this December is because I am graduating May 2008. I am going to be a teacher. We decided to go one last time in case I am not able to when I am a teacher. I hope I will be able to though, I love Disney at Christmas time.
    Congratulations, and welcome to Intercot!
    PM me if I can help you with anything!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    I had to vote no. I view the commitment to teach as similar to my commitment while in the military...mission first. We had "block leave" (when I was serving) where we had to take vacation during a set time. It's all about service to the country/community.

Being a teacher, I am sorry to say, is not comparable, if it were I would be demanding hazzard pay.

That being said, I thank all those who choose to serve as teachers, and I have a great respect for you.
    The feeling is very much mutual. Keep up the great work!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: