Quantcast Should Teachers Take Classroom Time off for Disney?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Should Teachers Take Time Off from School for Vacation?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

72 76.60%
  • No

22 23.40%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should Teachers Take Classroom Time off for Disney?

Hello

I am always intrigued by the posters who are teachers and can take time off from the school year for a vacation to Disney. We are in a school system where teachers can't do that. Teachers can only vacation during regularly scheduled school breaks. I actually don't disagree with this but am interested to see what people think.

Would you be fine with your child's classroom teacher taking a week off (leaving a sub in the classroom) to go on vacation?

Also, if you are a teacher and CAN take days for vacation, can you explain how this works?

Thanks!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If my daughter's teacher had to (or heck, just wanted to) vacation a week during school, good for her!

Teacher's deserve vacations! I could never do what they do! Being gone one week out of the year isn't going to hurt anyone. And it could do wonders for the teacher!

I don't know about where you are, but here in TX the state keeps lengthening the school year and shortening (or doing without) the breaks. We will lose our fall break and over half of our Thanksgiving break next year. Our Christmas break has been shortened by 5 days!

Plus our schools only hire degreed subs that are "as good as the real thing". So a sub day is NOT a blow-off day for the kids.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Well I suppose a good argument is that if it's okay for parents to pull their kids out of school for Disney why not let the teachers take time out? It should work both ways.

My mom took off a week once 2 years ago and she's a teacher. She wanted to participate in a family vacation with us and the time's she's out (summer, Easter, Christmas) are my busiest times of the year. So, she took off when I could go. I figure taking 1 week off in 30 years of teaching isn't too bad. I wouldn't recommend it be a yearly thing, but every now and then - why not? Teachers are under-paid, under-appreciated, and over worked. Sometimes they need a little mental R&R.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

In our school district contract, we are allotted 3 personal days per year, which are days off with no questions asked if scheduled ahead of time, and can be accumulated if not used, and we are allowed to use up to 5 in any given year. I have twice used 5 days to go to Disney. Teachers should not be punished from taking vacations in the lower-attendance months if the rest of the working world isn't. Also, with a husband who owns a contracting business, he cannot leave work in the summer, so we alternate seasons for vacations each year.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me speak as teacher. I can tell you that the stress level and always having to be on is quite draining and sometimes a quick little break from school and the kids can do a world of good for both the theacher and the students. I took a couple of days this year to go down to Mousefest with the Intercot gang and it really refreshed me and allowed me to have more energy to teach when I got back instead of counting the days until winter break which most of the other teachers were doing at this time.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We're allowed to use 10 days per year as we see fit. Either sick or personal. We can carry over only 5 from each year. This year I used 3 at Thanksgiving to go visit family in FL. No one gave me any trouble about this. I think teachers should be able to as long as it is not excessive. As a teacher, it is more work to be absent than to work due to making sub. teacher plans.
    Jen
    S-O-UTH F-L-O-R-IDA! South Florida, South Florida, GO BULLS!!!

August 2008: Port Orleans Riverside
    July 2007: Polynesian
    Feb. 2006: Pop Century
    Before that many day trips and too many to list!!! I've been going since I was 3!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure taking off a whole week would be very responsible, but I don't see how 1-2 days can really hurt.

Parents pull their kids out of school for vacations all the time, so why not?
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the school district provides the ability for them to take off during the year, I'm fine with it.

Although I do have to say that, given the fact they only work for 9 months of the year as it is, I'd like to think the amount of time off they have during the school year is pretty limited.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teacher Time Off

I have taught in public high schools for the past14 years. When my kids were little, I did not take time off for me because I felt like I missed enough days for their routine illness. Now that they are older, they miss school very rarely due to illness. My husband's job is crazy during the summer and we have found that fall is a great time for us to get away. I can take 3 personal days at one time and as many no pay days as I'd like with no questions asked. I routinely use all three personal days at once and one year used two no pay days as well. I teach at a National Blue Ribbon school and my job is very demanding. I personally think our adminstration would rather us take a few days off and be "emotionally healthy" than tbe stressed out and cranky. I put forth a lot of effort before I leave to make sure than my kids have quality instruction while I'm gone. Many people get upset about parents taking children out of school for vacation and teachers taking time off for personal reasons, however, the rest of the world doesn't necessarily operate on a school schedule. It would be nearly impossible for my family to vacation if that were the case. I think moderation is the key. . .I take off for a week's vacation, but I very rarely use a sick day the rest of the year! Please give teachers a break. . .most work really hard!

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually shocked that some people say NO! Why are teachers any different than any other profession? They deserve some time off, too! And not just in the summer...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

As long as the school district has a policy that allow it, or the teacher's contract allows it, then what's to agree or disagree with? Teacher or not, most every family at WDW, or on any vacation, is taking vacation time away from work, and following their employer's vacation policy. It should be no different for teachers.

The students are not going to be left without a teacher, there will be a sub. Unlike when the students take off for vacation, and potentially leave the education behind. So it's really not the same thing.

Seemed as though a lot of people were in favor of the kids taking off, but not so much the teachers. To me, that seems like the opposite. To me, it's a bigger deal for the kids to miss school than for the teacher.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm in the minority here and I'm not by any means trying to start any controversy, so please take my for what it's worth...

Before I start let me say that I am a former elementary school teacher and both my brother & sister are professors - I do see both sides of the coin....

IMHO, no, teachers should not be taking time off during the school year for vacations (I'm talking about a week or more - a day or two is not so much of a big deal). I completely understand that it is a high burn-out profession (just one of the many reasons I left) and you need time to re-charge, but there are breaks, holidays and summers for that (and if you are fortunate enough to get more than a couple of personal days). The school where I taught gave limited sick/personal days, but I was off from mid-June through late-August (meetings & stuff). I personally found that the time I had off was not enough for me to feel ready for another nine months, plus I did not like having my vacation time dictated to me (another reason I left).

Some subs are great teachers, unfortunately, where I come from it was a **** shoot! I didn't feel like it was fair to the kids - they tend to like routine. Besides, as someone pointed out - it is definitely more work to get plans ready for a sub!

I also see a trend that was already mentioned - extending the school year and shortening breaks. While some districts do need to recognize the importance of mental health days, we are rapidly falling behind in our educational system and failing society. Several countries are light years ahead of us in this area - we need to step up!

To the poster that said that teachers are under-paid and under-appreciated - AMEN - that is so true! When I see what my sister & brother have to deal with (and from so-called adults) there is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision for me. Teaching is a serious commitment!

One last thing and then I'll step down
    I'm not a big advocate of pulling kids out of school for vacation. Not only can it be disruptive for the student, but IMHO it sends a message of irresponsibility - fun is more important that education. Don't get me wrong I'm all about quality family time, but again there are holidays, breaks and summers.

I know there are some kids that can handle it, however, it seemed to me in my years of teaching that it was always the parents of the kids that it was detrimental to that pulled them out of school without considering the ramifications.

OK - I'm done - fire away!
    All it takes is faith and trust and a little pixie dust!
    Poly 72-78 LBV Fairway Villas 79-84
    Palace 85
    ? - 86-89 Off Site 93
    CS 99 LBV Hilton 02
    DVC Vero Beach 03
    POR 10/04 & 12/04
    ASMu 5/05
    DL Hotel 8/05
    CBR Sept/Oct 05 Poly 12/05
    POR/WL/AKL 9/06
    BC 12/06
    POR 10/07&DCL 11/07

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWacky View Post

Although I do have to say that, given the fact they only work for 9 months of the year as it is, I'd like to think the amount of time off they have during the school year is pretty limited.
    I think that the salary made by most teachers for the kind of work they do, more than justifies working 9 months as opposed to 12. Most of the teachers I know go to workshops, take classes and do a lot of their planning during the summer as well. I say to taking a few days at Disney World.

"I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tynkerbelle View Post
    One last thing and then I'll step down
    I'm not a big advocate of pulling kids out of school for vacation. Not only can it be disruptive for the student, but IMHO it sends a message of irresponsibility - fun is more important that education. Don't get me wrong I'm all about quality family time, but again there are holidays, breaks and summers.

I know there are some kids that can handle it, however, it seemed to me in my years of teaching that it was always the parents of the kids that it was detrimental to that pulled them out of school without considering the ramifications.

OK - I'm done - fire away!
    Okay here we go..... Nothing directed twords you but you brought up some good points for discussion.

You stated that pulling children out of school is disruptive and irresponsible. Teaching that fun comes before education. I never really thought about it that way. Probably because I don't feel that way. I feel education comes first, no matter what and my son fully understands that, even in the 1st grade. If you don't have an education and learn how to be a good student you will grow up to be a failed adult. I am one of those parents that allows for school time vacations. But I have always had the cooperation of faculty and the principal. We have been very lucky and had wonderful teachers even give us work before we left. I believe that vacation as well as learning should be fun. I think that is how children learn, through fun, at least younger ones do, I am sure it probably would be helpful with older ones. No one likes to sit in a classroom and regurgitate day after day the same thing from their books and papers. I think it is absolutely necessary to allow fun elements into learning. Last trip we brought back different things from around the world at Epcot and did a wonderful show and tell about each item once we got back. We had a blast collecting our goodies and thought very much how we would present them. We talked with the CM's at different countries and some even helped us. Yes it was fun but also educational. Now I do suppose there are parents that pull their sub par student out only for that student to struggle to catch up or not at all. If that is the case, shame on that parent. That is selfish and detrimental to the child, I agree wholehartedly with you on that point. I don't think though that a good student with a solid base would miss anything more than being out with the flu for 5 days.

Now as far as Teachers being allowed to take off. Yes, I am behind that all the way. Yes, they do have summers off but in my eyes they work year round. They have lesson plans to start and finish, classrooms to arrange and decorate, meeings to attend and so on. They may physically not punch a time clock in the summer but in my experience with good teachers, they are "working" year round. They deserve a break too. I agree they are underpaid and under appreciated!

I guess we have been very fortunate to have responsive, caring, compasionate teachers. I really do love my son's school. He goes private and it is worth every penny!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    Now as far as Teachers being allowed to take off. Yes, I am behind that all the way. Yes, they do have summers off but in my eyes they work year round. They have lesson plans to start and finish, classrooms to arrange and decorate, meeings to attend and so on. They may physically not punch a time clock in the summer but in my experience with good teachers, they are "working" year round.
    ThankYOU!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I say no. But I am also a parent who does not agree with pulling my child out either.

When you become a teacher and accept a position to teach for the full school year, then you make the choice to commit yourself to these children. Children esp in the early years need consistancy. Some kids do not do well with change at all. Its very unfair for a teacher to "leave" their student to go on vacation when they are given time off to do that and should plan according to that. Now I don't see taking a few days here and there as bad thing if there is a legit reason.

Teaching is not a typical profession. People are placing their children in your control and are counting on you to commit to their child and their progress. If you can't commit to the job because you want to go have fun, then teaching should not be your profession!

I have great respect for teachers, actually I am from a family of teachers and going to school to teach myself. Teachers are the most underpaid and disrespected profession out there. Next to soldiers (which my DH is) but I think alot of the disrespect comes from teachers choosing not to commit and see to their classes potential. JMHO!
    Jessica

Next Up - Aug 09' Wilderness Lodge
    98-08 - Shades of Green
    80-97 - Poly, CR, ASSports and family Condo at Daytona Beach.

Post Thanks / Like

Being a 20 year veteran of the teaching profession, I wasn't going to respond to this thread. I was going to bite my tongue, but I have to say that many people don't realize that some states require their teachers to recertify. In the state of Michigan teachers have to take classes, go to workshops, etc their entire careers because we have to recertify every 5 (or 6) years. Many times the only option is to take classes during the summer to meet these requirements, so the only option is to take time off during the school year to vacation with your family. I'm lucky in that I get 4 personal days per year to use anyway I like. Enough said. I'll go back to biting my tongue...I only work 9 months out of the year HA!!!
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 04-26-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    TTFN,
    Brenda

1/90 off site
    12/94 Villas at Disney Institute
    12/97 off site
    2/99 Carribean Beach
    7/02 Polynesian
    4/03, 11/03 Wilderness Lodge
    9/04, 11/05, 6/07 1/09 VWL
    12/04, 12/07 SSR
    4/05 Contemporary Resort
    7/06, 4/07 ASMu
    11/06 BCV
    6/08 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is fine for a teacher to take time off for vacation during the school year.
    I have only taken my kids out of school once for vacation and it was very stressful thinking about doing that!

I don't know about elsewhere in the country but here in central Ma. a teachers starting salary is about 34,000 per year! that's a whole lot more than I make! I may be in the minority but I believe that teachers are well paid. When you divide that salary between the 190 days they work they make a lot of money.

As for teachers having to be re certified and take classes to continue to improve, I think that holds true for most jobs these days. ( And with every course they take it gives them a step increase which raises their salary!)
    Even Customer service sales jobs the sales people have to keep up on their education of the products etc. They continue to have training classes etc.
    Nurses, engineers, construction workers all must keep up with changes and continue educating themselves. That is just how things are these days.

But, they do deserve the right to take vacation when it is convenient for them and their families.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrpersinger View Post
    I say no. But I am also a parent who does not agree with pulling my child out either.

When you become a teacher and accept a position to teach for the full school year, then you make the choice to commit yourself to these children. Children esp in the early years need consistancy. Some kids do not do well with change at all. Its very unfair for a teacher to "leave" their student to go on vacation when they are given time off to do that and should plan according to that. Now I don't see taking a few days here and there as bad thing if there is a legit reason.

Teaching is not a typical profession. People are placing their children in your control and are counting on you to commit to their child and their progress. If you can't commit to the job because you want to go have fun, then teaching should not be your profession!

I have great respect for teachers, actually I am from a family of teachers and going to school to teach myself. Teachers are the most underpaid and disrespected profession out there. Next to soldiers (which my DH is) but I think alot of the disrespect comes from teachers choosing not to commit and see to their classes potential. JMHO!
    I agree with you partially (if that makes sense). As a teacher I see what you are saying. I love my students and work my hardest to be th educator they need.
    However, I love my own children more. That may sound harsh but there is no other way to say it. And if we as a family need a little r&r, then I will take it with out a second thought. Life is too short. A few days (not weeks) is perfectly acceptable. Now if it becomes a few days every other week, well then you may want to reconsider the profession. But my personal days are just that and if I want to utilize them for a quick reprieve with my children then, and as long as I have prepared the lesson for my sub, I do not see a problem.

Good luck in your career, lets talk about this in a few years and see if your mind is changed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cetacean01 View Post
    . I love my students and work my hardest to be the educator they need.
    However, I love my own children more. That may sound harsh but there is no other way to say it. And if we as a family need a little r&r, then I will take it with out a second thought. Life is too short. A few days (not weeks) is perfectly acceptable. Now if it becomes a few days every other week, well then you may want to reconsider the profession. But my personal days are just that and if I want to utilize them for a quick reprieve with my children then, and as long as I have prepared the lesson for my sub, I do not see a problem.

Good luck in your career, lets talk about this in a few years and see if your mind is changed
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P