Quantcast How do they decide?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do they decide?

How do they decide which character is going to have a plastic head and which character is going to be a face character? Most all of the characters are from cartoons, so what distinguishes one as a plastic and one as a face? Why is Lilo a plastic head and Kim Possible a face character? I don't get it?
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would only guess it is because Lilo is supposed to be a little girl so it would be hard to get someone that looks young enough. And Kim possible is supposed to be a teenager so would be easier to find someone that looks young enough to be a teenager
    2002 - Off Property Son's 1st Trip
    2003-Off Property
    2005- Off Property Son's 1st Trip
    March 2006- Off Property
    June 2006 - POP Star Wars Weekend
    Dec 2007 - ASMu Family Suite

Dec 2009 ASMo Daughter's 1st Trip
    April 2011 Beach Club Daughter's 2nd Birthday Trip

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with krose78. I also think a lot of it has to do with how the characters are drawn. Take villains for example. Maleficent (don't know if I spelled that correctly) is drawn in a way that it would be pretty easy to put a human character in her place. Jafar is more of a "cartoony" character in the face, so it's probably much easier to give him a plastic mask.
    November 1997 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    November 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    February 2002 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon!)
    October 2006 - Old Key West (1st Trip with kids!)
    December 2008 - Old Key West (The not-so-great trip)
    October 2011

Post Thanks / Like

If it's because Lilo is a child, then why is Alice in Wonderland a face character?

I wonder how the evolution of the characters come to be. Like how when the parks opened Mickey and Minnie, etc, all looked so very different from how they look now. I wonder who decides how to change them and when and why. They didn't used to wear wigs, either, you can see it in old stock footage of parades and the such.

Sometimes it just seems so random.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the one who said it depends on how the character was drawn. Characters such as Alice, Peter Pan, Belle, and even Kim Possible look realistic enough in animated form to be face characters at Disney World and such while ones like Hook, Geppetto, and the Queen of Hearts aren't so luckily life-like. I don't mind Lilo being a plastic-head character since it's the way her little face looks that made her that kind of character, but I DO feel that one character set that should've been face characters were the Incredibles.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it might have something to do with voices, too. If they don't have a plastic head on, the cast member will have to be able to do a reasonable impression of the character's voice as well. Although, I agree that it really depends on how "human" the original character looks. Alice looks like a little girl, Lilo looks like a little cartoon girl.

A question, though. Had anyone ever seen Cruella before the live action movie? I ask because the cartoon version of Cruella is pretty cartoonie and I wondered which she was.
    That's not funny! And I know funny! I'm a clown fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug The Disney Man` View Post
    I wonder if it might have something to do with voices, too. If they don't have a plastic head on, the cast member will have to be able to do a reasonable impression of the character's voice as well.
    That's a good one, I didn't think of that either.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by January-2007 View Post
    If it's because Lilo is a child, then why is Alice in Wonderland a face character?
    Well, Alice is older than Lilo, for one thing.

Lilo is only like maybe 5, 6 or 7 years old at best...or somewhere within that age range.

Alice, by comparison, is probably 10 years old or at least somewhere within her pre-teens.

There's also the fact that Alice looks much more like a realistic human than Lilo.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember seen pictures back in the day were they would have Marryweather,Flora & Fana in the parade face characters but when they did Meet and greet I saw pictures of them with mask on talk about weird. If I can fine some pics I will post them.
    DLand character wanted list.

1. DUMBO 2. BLUE FAIRY 3. TARZAN 4. BRER RABBIT 8. JOHN SMITH 9. LAUNCH PAD 11. LOTSO 14. GYPSY

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I found a pic will two of them. I have what they look like then and now. So here they are.

Then

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bluegeni...804349237624/0

Now

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bluegeni...804349237620/1

I hope they come out alright.
    DLand character wanted list.

1. DUMBO 2. BLUE FAIRY 3. TARZAN 4. BRER RABBIT 8. JOHN SMITH 9. LAUNCH PAD 11. LOTSO 14. GYPSY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Genie View Post
    I remember seen pictures back in the day were they would have Marryweather,Flora & Fana in the parade face characters but when they did Meet and greet I saw pictures of them with mask on talk about weird. If I can fine some pics I will post them.
    Wow that's so freaky looking at those two pictures back to back. Eerie....
    Upcoming:
    October 2013

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Age and voice are two of the main reasons why a character will be face to fur. And actually, there is a Captain Hook and Mr. Smee that are face as part of the DAWM show at MK.

The Incredibles are not face because of the size of the bodies. Mr. Incredible has to be bigger because of his muscles and to have him as a face with the same suit would look a lot more unproportionate than the head. Likewise, Mrs. Incredible has to compliment Mr. Incredible so she also needs the face, plus the size of her rear.

Fairies I have only seen as head, but I'll take a guess at again, it's based on the proportions of the body to the human head.

Lilo also has to compliment Stitch, which is a fur head. Again, a human wouldn't look right next to the fur costume of Stitch.

But what do I know? I work resorts, not entertainment....

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: