Quantcast Revisiting the "tipping the mousekeeper" debate - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default doesn't it come down to personal preference?

i always tip.i'm not rich.i use singles and try my best to fold the dollar bills into a animal of some sort or a smiley face or something.my vacation is my escape from my normal difficult
    life.for 3-4 bucks a day,if it makes our mousekeeper happier i think thats cheap and at least i feel good about it.we have had the staff leave little surprises around the room and
    i like to think it adds to our disney experience.
    if i'm on disney property i'm happy.period.
    gg out!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    One thing that always has gotten me:
    Have you ever noticed that people who serve adult drinks outside cannot be tipped, but those serving inside, can be? Get yourself a beer at the R&C Pub and they'll gladly accept your tip. Get the same beer (for a slightly higher price) outside at the kiosk, and they can't take it. Same holds true around the WS and other "outdoor" locations. I always found this an odd policy.
    At the kiosks, you are not "being served" as it is essentially "counter service." You're taking the beer and bringing it to a table yourself. If you did that at the bar inside, you're probably sitting at the bar and standard bar service rules apply. But outside, it's not a bar, it's a counter service and tipping would naturally be discouraged. The poolside bars at the hotels will indeed take your tip most happily, as it is a bar service and not a counter service in that case. Confusing?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would still tip the Mousekeeping people,providing of course that they do a good job,and they usually do,and they seem very nice!!!
    Disneyland 1969-1988
    ASM 2000
    ASM 2002
    ASM 2003
    ASM 2004
    Pop 2004 (50's)
    Pop Oct.2006(70's)
    Pop May 2007(50's)
    Pop Dec.2007(60's)
    Pop Oct.2008
    PORS May 2010
    Wilderness Lodge 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Customary is the key here. In the United States it is customary to tip wait staff, bell hops, valet, housekeeping, etc. Since it is customary it is in a sense figured into the wage. A waitresses' wage may be $2.55, but I can tell you for a fact that a hard working and good waitress can make up to $10 an hour at a mom and pop shop that is busy. If tips get too low, restaurants won't be able to keep help and then service is bad. This is why you see many "mom and pop" shops going out of business...really, who wants to sling food to a bunch of hungry people and then clean up their chewed on chicken bones, scrape gum off their plates and get on the floor and pick up the half of the meal that Jr didn't eat. It isn't pleasant work, though if your good the wages compensate.

Speaking of mom and pop shops (my mom and pop own and operate one) the service you get here is simply not the same as you would get at lets say Le Cellier for example. Pricier food also tends to come with a more personalized service and services. Now this might be a source of argument as well as restaurants are getting away from this, even at Disney. Our last trip to CaliGrill was a bit of a disappointment as our server was just about non-exist. We counted at least 7 tables he was serving and one was a group of 8. In our little restaurant, a waitress will wait on anywhere from 6-9 tables (of 4) depending on how busy the shift is. However, we do not offer wine, appetizers, soup and salad course, extensive desserts and you can eat an entire meal at our place for $8 instead of $28+.
    All this to say, fancier places=higher prices=more tip for server but not AS much more as you may be thinking since they should have fewer tables to be able to support the amount of tip with the service provided.

I would love to hear how this relates to mousekeeping. Are they paid to compensate for a no-tip policy (if there is a no-tip policy?) Are they outsourced? Every American regardless of work is entitled to a fair wage for a good days work. As far as I am concerned housekeeping and waitstaff deserve the tip above all else as they are doing what you go on vacation to not have to do...stock you space (be it with food or soap) and clean-up!

In going to another country you should read up on their customs as not to offend them, why not read up on what the customs are here in your own back yard.
    Wife of one Handsome Prince
    Mother to Ariel, Tinker Bell, and twin Mulans

Planning is half the fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    One thing that always has gotten me:
    Have you ever noticed that people who serve adult drinks outside cannot be tipped, but those serving inside, can be? Get yourself a beer at the R&C Pub and they'll gladly accept your tip. Get the same beer (for a slightly higher price) outside at the kiosk, and they can't take it. Same holds true around the WS and other "outdoor" locations. I always found this an odd policy.
    Just a side note about tipping at outdoor kiosks. Last September my Mom and I purchased from an outide booth, a Margarita slush outside in Epcot. The CM who served it slide a black pouch twords us for a tip! Now don't get me wrong, I do believe in tipping and do, but in this case she turned her back and dispensed it into a glass and handed it over? I am not sure if this was her practice or she was allowed to ask for a tip? When we did not leave a tip she hastily took it off the counter. Has anyone else tipped at an outdoor kiosk and should you??
    Thanks!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, thank you very much MNNHFLTX for stepping in after the post fron NJDad. I did not appreciate the tone of that response to me, especially the part about

But if separating yourself from a tiny little bit of the wealth you've accumulated offends your code of morality and your perceptions of the Disney PR, then by all means stop doing it.

On a side note, I used to not throw my garbage on the ground. But then I noticed Disney creates the experience of colorfully garbed workers cheerfully cleaning up. Rather than ruin that experience, I now toss my used Coke cups and napkins wherever I happen to be at the time.
    That's just rude and I've never done anything to attack you personally, NJDad.

My point is this. I didn't know that tipping housekeepers was something that you were supposed to do. I considered that a part of the service of staying at a hotel. When I learned on Intercot that you should tip the Mousekeepers based on the points that have been repeatedly made, I began to do it. I did it for several years.

That is, until I went to a business presentation by a former VP from Disney who is in the healthcare field now as a consultant.

Tipping the Mousekeeper and tipping at other places are two different topics. If you want to tip the housekeeper at the Hampton Inn, that's different than at Disney. Do you get the same experience at a Hampton Inn as you do at Disney? If you've ever been in a hospital, did you tip the housekeepers there?

But here's my point. This person, and I don't want to promote his book just yet until I see the TOS, went through an entire presentation about how Disney wants to separate itself from any other place. Disney expects to be a total EXPERIENCE, and not just a service. When you give someone a tip, that puts you on the same level, and it doesn't fit in with the whole experience of the trip. Most hotels measure themselves on guest satisfaction scores based on a 5 point scale - 5=very satisfied, 4=somewhat satisfied, 3=satisfied, 2=not satisfied, and 1=very dissatisfied. Most hotels say that a 3, 4, or 5 is a "good" score, and they count that in their end rankings. Disney resorts feel that to be satisfied is not good enough, they want every guest to be VERY satisfied. So, they encourage, and even require EVERY castmember to "seek out opportunities to enhance guest experiences".

This is why the Mousekeepers started with the towel animals and the arranging of toys. They don't often see guests, and they discovered this one or two ways to make the magic for people they didn't even see.

What I'd like to do is email someone in the resort management side of Disney, and ask them a few questions.

1) Are mousekeepers paid at the state set minimum wage or higher, or are they paid below that wage, like a waiter/waitress?

2) What is the official Disney position on tipping Mousekeepers?

3) What is the official Disney position on tipping Waiters/Waitresses?

Furthermore, I'd like to thank those of you who have kept this civil and not on a personal level. Obviously this is a hot topic. Yes, it won't break my bank account to spend $3 a day extra to tip a mousekeeper, but, if that is one component of my overall experience that I do pay a premium price for, why should I do that?

And why stop at mousekeeping - why not tip that person who sweeps up in the bathrooms at the park, or that person who gives you a band-aid at the first aid station?
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Great points, I just love discussions like these. It is so interesting to see everyones point of view. I agree let's not get personal, OUCH that hurts!
    I have always stayed at the values. It just seems more family friendly and of course cheaper, which my husband likes, lol. You made the point "Do you get the same experience at a Hampton Inn as you do at Disney?" I can honestly say "yes". Now that might be a difference when you get to the concierge level hotels (have not benn lucky enough to stay at one yet, HEE HEE) but I don't think the values are any different service (housekeeping) wise than a Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn or so on. Yes, Disney makes the grounds more of an experience but as far as the Mousekeeping I would have to beg to differ with Disney. I have never, except on a very few occassions when we got a towel sculture, considered Mousekeeping an experience. Maybe others would think differently. I have read a few stories of very nice Mousekeepers, but honestly I do not think it's the norm for them to go out of there way to make anything an experience. Not saying they are mean but they are just doing their job, that's all. Maybe Disney is trying to change that? But in all honesty if the room is kept clean and there are fresh towels and soap I am happy. I think the level of service is considered also when giving a tip. Of course I would not tip for a band aid, but if that CM calmed my child, put the band aid on will singing Disney songs and bought him ice cream, I would say that is an experience (I actually read somewhere this really happened!). I wish Disney would define the word experience as far as housekeeping. Thanks so much for the insight, it is very interesting. Please if you do go ahead and find out the answers to the questions you posted, please post for us to see. Thanks!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Not only do we tip them (even though we're not required to) we thank them personally (if we see them) Seems a little common courtesy can go a long way.
    1975 - Off site
    1980 - Golf Resort
    1981 - Poly
    1982 - CT
    1983 - Poly
    1989 - CBR
    1998 - CBR
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    Tipping the Mousekeeper and tipping at other places are two different topics. If you want to tip the housekeeper at the Hampton Inn, that's different than at Disney. Do you get the same experience at a Hampton Inn as you do at Disney?
    I gotta agree with Dizneefinatic on this one, I don't feel that Disney's housekeeping is any way, an "experience". If we're doing a comparison, Motel 6 "leaves the light on for you" and so does housekeeping at Disney. If they want to arrange my childrens toys in a funny way, or leave a towel animal behind (I've seen one in my 20 years of vacationing at Disney by the way), then that's great. My kids love decorating the tip envelope and telling our mousekeeper to have a magical day herself. I don't increase my tip because of that. I leave the tip because I know what it's like to pick up wet, used towels off the bathroom floor and clean goodness knows what from the ring around the tub. I'm a mom. To have someone else do that for me, for a couple of days is worth a few extra dollars.

That's fine that this former VP said some things that struck a chord with you. I'm not that naive that I don't realize Disney is a company watching out for it's bottom line, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing something that feels right to me. I tip at the Hampton Inn and I tip at Disney, towels and trash are towels and trash as far as I'm concerned, regardless of the name on the front of the hotel.

I just wanted to point out too, that I thought it was funny that you mentioned the score card for overall customer satisfaction. Do you know, that you can't even get a comment card at a Disney resort? They don't carry them. There is some random survey done with select guests following their stay. I know that's going off topic, but I just find that ridiculous.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

1) Are mousekeepers paid at the state set minimum wage or higher, or are they paid below that wage, like a waiter/waitress?
    2) What is the official Disney position on tipping Mousekeepers?
    3) What is the official Disney position on tipping Waiters/Waitresses?

[B]On a personal note--if providing exceptional service is the "status quo" at Disney for all of their cast members, why would restaurant servers be exempt from this expectation and allowed to take tips?

1) Disney World is a union environment.
    2) Some CM's can take tips, others cannot.
    3) BY UNION CONTRACT.
    4) Tipped positions include
    . . . valet
    . . . bellmen
    . . . food servers
    . . . etc
    5) Non-tipped positions include
    . . . concierge
    . . . front desk
    . . . housekeepers
    . . . ride and attraction CM's
    . . . etc
    6) Accepting tips in a non-tip job is grounds for termination.
    7) If you get a tip, you turn it over to a manager.
    8) It gets pooled and they buy coffee and donuts.
    9) Non-tipped people are not expected to prosper from service.

10) Housekeepers get paid pretty well.
    11) Their pay grade is H/H3 and is $7.50-$12.07 per hour.
    12) Plus annual mandatory bonus.

NOTE: Some managers "look the other way" when housekeepers get tips, must most go "by the book" and "by the union contract". This mean discipline and possible termination for the housekeeper. If they do not, they set a contract precedent, and that is not good for future bargaining.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty, thanks for the taking the time and relating the facts.

I don't think it will stop me from tipping, but maybe there is a better way. Perhaps waiting until the end of the stay and addressing one tip envelope to the Housekeeping Manager? I don't want to tempt someone to do anything foolish, but then again, I wouldn't feel right not tipping for that service.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    5) Non-tipped positions include
    . . . concierge
    . . . front desk
    . . . housekeepers
    . . . ride and attraction CM's
    Wow - thank you for the information.
    This will certainly add some comments to the ongoing discussion in this thread.

To Rusty - once again thank you for sharing the inside information that you are privy to!

mttafire Guest

Default Jeez..

I stated earlier in this post why I give a tip to the mousekeepers. It is beyond belief why this topic is so "confusing and or debated". If you want to..Tip these people, If not..then dont. It doesnt seem to complicated. As for the "union contract rule" I can assure you that the majority of management does and will continue to look the other way if a mousekeeper gets a tip. Thats no different than anywhere else. Anyways, I just finished reading the last several posts and thought..This isnt that complicated. I will continue to tip. After all, It IS customary to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tyandskyesmom View Post
    I have heard that too...in fact I had a cousin in the College Program who has worked at deluxe hotels for two seperate terms and he said they are not allowed to accept tips as bell hops or mousekeeping...not that they won't but they are not allowed.

I agree with most of this except that I have been told the same info about those positions being a non-tipping position. That does not mean you cannot leave a tip or offer, but the Official Disney (as I have been told) policy is that Mousekeeping, Bell Service, and Valet Service workers are not to accept tips from guests. It does not mean they won't but it does mean that if they were to get caught by someone who wanted to be mean they could get reprimanded for it.

We do not tip Mousekeeping but we do tip Valet and Bell Services if we use them...donno why, just what we do.
    In response to the above my DH and I just talked about this and he DISTINCTLY remembers trying to tip the bellman that helped us all the way to the back Broadway buidling at ASMu and his tip was POLITELY (extemely) refused. He stated that what he was doing was all part of the Disney service that we were already paying for and he hoped we had an enjoyable stay. He was perfectly correct. We did have a great stay and with an attitude like his to start it off, it was even that much better. Personally I can tell you that if I get standard service I would leave say $3 a day for mousekeeping, if they were leaving towel animals or if our room was a complete mess I would definetly leave more. On a personal note. I am a neat freak, so our room is never messy, and other than leaving fresh towels and emptying the trash our mousekeeper has to do little so I dont think anything more than that is warranted. *unless as stated above they were leaving the kids towel animals or something.*

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping

Here's my take after many real world trips to WDW.

Tips left out for housekeeping (let's leave the mouse in the park for a minute) always disappear- I don't think it's Snow White's 7 roommates taking them. We clearly leave a note indicating it is for housekeeping.

We leave a tip every day including the morning we check out - WDW is a 7 day business - people have days off.

Leaving a nominal tip for housekeeping - $2 a day to $1pp pd - is common, decent and appropriate at all hotels including WDW resorts.

Tipping is the right thing to do but shouldn't be done for the wrong reasons:
    (here's a numbered list for you, Rusty)
    1. Expectation of special treatment (towel animals).
    2. Doing it to give yourself a warm gushy feeling.
    3. Doing it to feel superior to those poor unfortunate souls (sorry for borrowing that, Ursula). Housekeepers have mortgages and attend PTA meetings just like us.

Getting small denomination money ahead of time is part of trip planning. Lately I've been using Washington Dollar coins - people enjoy getting them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grounds for Termination

I love all you guys but I won't believe picking up a tip marked "Housekeeping - Thank you" left in a room is grounds for termination until I hear it from a person wearing a white oval name tag, face to face.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan328 View Post
    . . . he DISTINCTLY remembers trying to tip the bellman that helped us all the way to the back Broadway buidling at ASMu and his tip was POLITELY (extemely) refused . . .

1) You have just hit a sore point among some CM's.
    2) Most resorts have bellmen.
    3) Bellmen are tipped positions.
    4) However, Values DO NOT have Bellmen.
    5) They have non-tipped luggage service.
    6) And, they can not take tips.
    7) Many hope this gets changed in the new contract.
    8) BTW, the labor contract is up April 28, 2007.

NOTE: Values typically hold more families than other resorts, plus there are more rooms at Values. Due to this, the amount of daily luggage is HUGE. (Kids make for big and heavy bags.) Even with this work load, luggage service can't take tips. Although they do get paid a FLAT FEE per room for DME luggage delivery. I think it is $4.75 per room, regardless of luggage count.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Tipping the Mousekeeper and tipping at other places are two different topics. If you want to tip the housekeeper at the Hampton Inn, that's different than at Disney. Do you get the same experience at a Hampton Inn as you do at Disney?
    But from the housekeepers point of view, cleaning up for you at Disney is probably extremely similar to cleaning up for you at Hampton Inn.

I don't see the difference, but maybe that's because I consider the old 'shoe on the other foot' deal.

I probably should have just written this:

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX
    If a mousekeeper provides prompt and excellent service, I'm inclined to acknowledge it with a modest tip. I'm sure they can use the money as much as any of the other people I mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry2 View Post
    When I consider what I’m paying for my entire vacation, a few dollars a day for housekeeping wouldn’t ruin my Disney experience. Quite the opposite, it would ruin my trip if I didn’t leave something for the people who cleaned up after me all week.

I am as frugal as they come (my wife says cheap), I am MR. Value resort, but I just wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t leave a tip.
    Some people just know how to say the same thing a little nicer than I do sometimes.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

First off, thank you very much MNNHFLTX for stepping in after the post fron NJDad. I did not appreciate the tone of that response to me,

That's just rude and I've never done anything to attack you personally, NJDad.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJDad View Post
    Sorry to all those offended by the sarcasm.

The apology came first !
    D-A-D-D-Y needs C-O-F-F-E-E !

May '00 Honeymoon
    March '02 Easter with 7
    Jan ' 03 Romantic Getaway
    Oct '03 MNSSHP
    Aug '06 New addition's 1st trip
    Sept '07 No boys, but everyone else!
    June '09 Everyone !!

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty, are you able to explain the rationale (union or management) behind the tipping vs. non-tipping positions - especially Housekeeping? Is is because they are trying to have a higher wage for Housekeepers to attract more people to that job?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: