Quantcast Revisiting the "tipping the mousekeeper" debate

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Revisiting the "tipping the mousekeeper" debate

A few years ago, I learned that I was supposed to be tipping the mousekeepers at the Disney resorts. This was a new concept to me, as I have traveled for business before, and have never tipped a housekeeper.

The logic was that a housekeeper is essentially a lower wage job, and that they partially rely on tips to supplement that wage, much like a waitress or a hair stylist.

OK, I'm good with that, so I tipped the last few times we stayed at Disney.

BUT, after going through a Disney themed business presentation recently, I've reconsidered this. Essentially, what Disney uses to set itself apart is that it doesn't consider what it provides to be a service, Disney defines it as an EXPERIENCE. Disney prides themselves on going far beyond a guest's expectations, and for a guest to have a "good" experience is not good enough. Disney wants to be THE BEST.

So, things like mousekeeping and any other castmember going above and beyond what they normally do is the status quo. Disney castmembers (I guess except for waitresses and waiters) technically aren't supposed to accept tips, because that puts them on the same level as the guest, and it lowers the Disney experience from experience to just another service.

So, I don't think I'll be tipping the mousekeepers anymore...
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know many people consider their WDW experience to be special and magical. In fact some people get so wrapped up in the experience I have seen posts where people are asking about the drinking age at the different European restaurants in World Showcase. They did not seem to realize they were not at an embassy or actually in France or Germany.

I think if you usually tip housekeeping at other hotels you stay at then it is reasonable to tip at WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney doesn't encourage guests to leave a tip for mousekeeping at WDW so I find it odd that Disney suggest a certain tip amount for mousekeeping on Disney Cruise Line. Why is there a difference?
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpecJoe Magic View Post
    Disney doesn't encourage guests to leave a tip for mousekeeping at WDW so I find it odd that Disney suggest a certain tip amount for mousekeeping on Disney Cruise Line. Why is there a difference?
    This s probably due to the DCL's ship registry. Most cruise lines are registered outside of the US (Bahamas in this case). Therefore, the wages they pay the crew on board is pennies on the dollar. You can look up the wages paid by country online. After that, cruise lines can charge a fee for room and board on the ship. This reduces the amount they are paid further.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I figure if you can tip a barber, a cab driver, and a waiter you can tip the people that clean up for you.

But if separating yourself from a tiny little bit of the wealth you've accumulated offends your code of morality and your perceptions of the Disney PR, then by all means stop doing it.

On a side note, I used to not throw my garbage on the ground. But then I noticed Disney creates the experience of colorfully garbed workers cheerfully cleaning up. Rather than ruin that experience, I now toss my used Coke cups and napkins wherever I happen to be at the time.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

There is no obligation here; not sure I understand the requirement you are referring to. The bottom line is, you do what makes you feel comfortable. If you are not comfortable with tipping housekeeping, then by all means you are not required to do so.
    Alex

4/1976 - offsite,4/1983 - offsite,5/1999 - CaribBeach,5/2000 - CaribBeach,
    11/2001 - Coronado,7/2003 - AKL, 8/2004 - POFQ, 8/2005 - Poly, 8/2006 - Grand Flo,10/2007 - POFQ, 8/2008 - Wilderness Lodge, 8/2009 - POR, 8/2010 - CaribBeach, 8/2011 - Coronado, 8/2012 -Coronado, 8/2014 - Coronado

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJDad View Post
    On a side note, I used to not throw my garbage on the ground. But then I noticed Disney creates the experience of colorfully garbed workers cheerfully cleaning up. Rather than ruin that experience, I now toss my used Coke cups and napkins wherever I happen to be at the time.

<snip> I just spit out coffee on my keyboard. Nothing like some good sarcasm in the morning.
    Last edited by TammiMcMan; 04-20-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Removed censor indicator
    April 2000 -- ASMu
    November 2004 -- ASMo (First time with kids)
    September 2005 -- Pop
    September 2007 -- Pop
    January 2009 -- POR
    April 2012 -- POR (Cramming 6 people in one room)
    July 2014 -- Pop (12 days in Disney)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJDad View Post
    Very funny! To throw something else out there about this debate (sorry, couldn't resist after the previous garbage comments), not all service-oriented jobs are ones in which you tip - and some of those jobs are in housekeeping. For example, I work as a nurse - I clean up plenty myself but the housekeepers in our facility clean the floors and bathrooms in each patient room daily and wash the beds and furniture between patients and clean up some pretty disgusting messes on a frequent basis yet none of us are allowed to accept a tip or gift. It's no different except that because of my college education, I make a better salary than a Disney mousekeeper but the hospital housekeepers don't. Why do we tip housekeepers in a hotel but not in a hospital?
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Note--

Just want to remind everyone that debating a topic is fine, as long those posting remain respectful of each other. Also, please remember that sarcasm is a difficult thing to interpret on the internet and has the potential to offend, so please do not use that as a discussion tool.

On a personal note--if providing exceptional service is the "status quo" at Disney for all of their cast members, why would restaurant servers be exempt from this expectation and allowed to take tips? Okay, one could probably argue that that is traditionally a service-compensated occupation. But how about those that do the valet parking or handle our luggage or drive the buses to and from the airport? Because it is certainly customary to tip them.

If a mousekeeper provides prompt and excellent service, I'm inclined to acknowledge it with a modest tip. I'm sure they can use the money as much as any of the other people I mentioned.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    A few years ago, I learned that I was supposed to be tipping the mousekeepers at the Disney resorts.
    Tipping is never a requirement, it's a personal choice. You shouldn't feel obligated.

This was a new concept to me, as I have traveled for business before, and have never tipped a housekeeper.
    I tip housekeeping whenever and wherever we travel. As a mom, I'm just happy it's not me making the beds, emptying the trash, cleaning the bathroom, washing towels, etc .

Disney castmembers (I guess except for waitresses and waiters) technically aren't supposed to accept tips, because that puts them on the same level as the guest, and it lowers the Disney experience from experience to just another service.
    I know we have a few Disney CM's here, so hopefully they can come on and clarify the official policy. To the best of my knowledge, what you've posted is not correct. There are a few other Disney positions that can accept tips, bell services and valet are two more that come to mind. Disney isn't Vegas, so you can't try to tip the hostess for a better table or quicker seating, just like you can't tip the check-in CM for a better view. I thought that was more the reasoning why they are so clear on who can accept tips and who can't.

If it's your personal opinion not to tip, then that's fine. Many countries find it insulting to leave a tip. There's no right or wrong here folks, everyone has to feel comfortable with their decision. Hopefully GrimGrinning is basing his on facts and not misinformation given out during a business presentation.

Also, a gentle reminder to please leave sarcasm out of the posts when responding, as it against INTERCOT's terms of service.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I have read both sides of the issue and see good points. I plan to tip during out trip next week.
    But here is my issue. When we leave in the morning and our beds are unmade and our towels are wet/dirty and we leave an envelope with a dollar or three in it we are essentially tipping BEFORE the service is rendered. What if then the service is terrible? What if we come back to a dirty room and the money is gone? That has always been my issue with tipping housekeeping. You are really tipping on good faith that they will then do a good/better job because of the incentive you have left them to do so.

*shrug* I plan to do it anyway just because I know these people are not paid highly and I want to share the magic.
    I guess I wish you were assigned a mousekeeper for the length of your stay and you could tip them accordingly on your last day.
    Tigerlilly
    Mommy to Parker and Laurie
    First - July 1979
    Most Recent - POFQ, April 29th 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Default Appreciating others

I can underside both side - not tipping and tipping.
    As once a hairdresser I always tip the Mousekeeper. I may not tip $5.00 a day but we still do Tip. I don't do it to get anything out of them I do it because I appreciate the job they do after my family. I know its their job and they get paid for it but I know they appreciate the tip and it puts a smile on their face and it tells them thery are doing a good job. How many people go everyday working and never get appreciated. Why not ??? give someone a little smile and let them know they are doing great. We have always gotten great mousekeepers!
    I am sure they see some pretty sloppy rooms sometimes and a little tip from us may help make that room better.
    Be happy! Your in Dinsey World! What place on earth is better??? lol
    Just my input!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlilly View Post
    You are really tipping on good faith that they will then do a good/better job because of the incentive you have left them to do so.

I guess I wish you were assigned a mousekeeper for the length of your stay and you could tip them accordingly on your last day.
    You can certainly wait until after the job is done, it just takes a little more work on your part. If the housekeeper doesn't leave a card with her name on it, you just need to call housekeeping and ask for the manager. She'll be able to tell you who specifically cleaned your room. You can then address your envelpe and ask the manager where you should leave it, to ensure the proper person receives her tip. You may have to walk the envelope down to guest services, or she may advise you to leave it out the next day.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

The DCL mousekeeping is way above anything the mousekeeping has done at the resorts. Not only did our mousekeeping make the beds, but they also would clean up. One night I couldn't decide what to wear so I got out several shirts, found something suitable and left the other shirts on the couch to hang up when I got back. When I returned to our cabin our mousekeeper had rehung up my shirts! There was turn down service every night. He folded towels properly (after we would use them we would hang them up - and he would always rehang them in a stylish way). There was service in the morning and in the evenings. Oh and towel animals every evening.

Never experienced anything close to that in the resorts. But I've always left tips. Now that we are DVC - we don't have to worry about that anymore.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Do the mousekeepers keep the tips from the specific rooms they clean or do all the mousekeepers pool the tips and split it evenly with each other?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

When I consider what I’m paying for my entire vacation, a few dollars a day for housekeeping wouldn’t ruin my Disney experience. Quite the opposite, it would ruin my trip if I didn’t leave something for the people who cleaned up after me all week.

I am as frugal as they come (my wife says cheap), I am MR. Value resort, but I just wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t leave a tip.
    1130 miles from the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.. I am value person too but my husband is all valued out and want to try something else. Soon we will have 5 in our family so value (beside the family suite) is going to be a memory.
    I wouldn't feel right not leaving a tip either. We leave tip when we are on the dining plan also.. yes they may get 18% but uncle sam see's some of that and if they do great then they get a better Tip.
    I am very budgetly person but my tips are included so I plan on it on every vacation. I think its good to set a example for my children too.. they help when leaving the tips and they enjoy it.. they will until its their money I guess..lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!

This is so interesting! Being the origianl poster about tipping I can see I not only opened a can of worms but an entire worm farm! I think both sides have a point and are valid. I think it comes down to personal experience, are you a tipper or arn't you. There is not right or wrong answer. Now Disney on the other hand. It so hard to believe that Disney discourages tips for the housekeepers. I cannot see the reasoning in that. It is a service job in my eyes. I see that the bell hop position can accept tips and that is acceptable according to Disney. How does Disney see that someone transporting bags is eligable and someone who cleans a toilet is not. When I think about it I could easily say who deserves the tip more! LOL I think any position that does something for you personally (housekeeper, waiter/waitress, bell hop) deserves a tip, especially if they do it with a smile!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

1$ per guest per day. Left out on the table every morning so one person doesn't "get" it all. That's our modus operendi...

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Does Disney outsource room cleaning? If so, that would mean you are not tipping a Disney employee when you tip housekeeping. If not, I still prefer to tip someone who is cleaning up after me, and it does seem to provide more attentive service. People respond to being appreciated. But whatever makes you comfortable.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: