Quantcast Sea Sickness?????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sea Sickness?????

We are taking our first Disney Cruise in August. My husband and I were discussing tonight the need for dramamine; he wants to bring a boat load! Does the boat rock that much? Who out here has had a problem with sea sickness? My husband is an old salt, retired after 20 years in the Navy, and he was always sea sick. Thanks for helping!
    ]TTFN: CINDY[/COLOR]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We are going on our first Disney cruise in February. I have only cruised once before about 12 years ago and was very seasick on the return trip due to high seas. I spent 3 days in my stateroom. You don't even want to know how many times I watched "Free Willy"! LOL! I still get quesy anytime I see a clip from that movie.

I have been reading up on seasickness and the Disney cruise. I recently read a trip report from a woman whose hubby became seasick pretty much as soon as the pulled out of port! He had gotten a prescription for the seasickness patch and had put it on several hours prior to the cruise as instructed. When I read this I was worried as I figured I would just get the patch and I would be fine. This man ended up using Bonine and as long as he kept it in his system around the clock he was ok. If you would like a link to read this trip report just PM me! It was very informative.

I am going to talk with my doctor about getting the patch but I think I will start with the Bonine. I sure hope it works!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

My BIL gets motion sickness and he was OK during the cruise. He took Dramamine, I think, and other than 1 night where he felt a little sick, he was fine.
    If you don't feel well, try gingerale. Ginger is good for upset tummies.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd stay away from Dramamine and go with Bonine. They have the same active ingredient, but Bonine does not cause drowsiness. The most important thing, is to start taking it before the ship even sails. That should ward off any discomfort and keeping that regiment up, should keep him feeling good throughout the trip.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if Bonine is something kids can take? Can it be purchased over the counter like Dramamine or should we go see our doctor? We're going on our first cruise in Oct. 2008. DH, DD16, DD9 and I are terribly excited. But I would hate to pay that much for a vacation and have one or possibly all of us not be able to enjoy it.
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Bonine is readily availabile over the counter and our primary said it was fine for kids, but none of ours needed it, even the one who tends to get car sick.

Post Thanks / Like

I get CRAZY INSANE motion sickeness, which really stinks because I LOVE rides. SO>>>>>>>>
    I use scolpamine patches (Dont know if I spelled it correctly).
    The side effects can be a little overwhelming though.
    I get really intense dry mouth so I always have a bottle of water with me.
    It also makes me a little drowsy, so I schedule a nap.
    Now I have heard from MANY people that ginger tablets found at any vitamin store work VERY well.

I plan on using the patch for my first ride on Mission:SPACE, and ginger tablets for all of the other stuff.

Long story short, the patch works wonders (It is prescription based so call your DR. ), but there are alternatives.
    Have a great cruise

Post Thanks / Like

We took our first cruise one year ago (RCL) with our DS'S (Age 12) and my parents. I brought a number of options for everyone...lol!! I had ginger pills, sea bands and bonine. I can tell you that bonine worked best for me. I get a funny feeling in my head, (my stomach is OK)!
    I needed to take a pill in the AM and PM and I was just fine. (We had very calm seas too) Everyone else was ! Be prepared, its better to have it than not! You can always return what you didn't use to the store when you get home.
    I agree, no side effects with bonine. Someone said that they made bonine for kids but I have never seen it! I did see a number of people with the patch on too. Good Luck!!!
    Beach Club Villa's 10/03
    Portofino Bay and Beach Club Villa's 10/04
    Saratoga Springs Resort 10/05
    Pop Century and Beach Club Villa's 10/06
    Boardwalk Villas 06/11

Post Thanks / Like

I got sea sick while on the cruise and my mother bought me the dramamine from the store and I was fine the rest of the trip. I just took it right before dinner ever night and had no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

My grandmother has Maneir's Disease, which has made her get sick and dizzy often. She was afraid of cruises because of this, so she had the patches and the bands. She never once got sick at all.

We took some bonine with us, but never needed it once.

I've heard bonine is better because it doesn't make you drowsy. The side affect of all these medications is dry mouth, because they are antihistamines. The major side effect of this type of drug is dry mouth. Just make sure you drink plenty of water with any medication.

Just know that dramamine is readily available at the infirmary on the ship.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I also have Menier's, we've done two cruises. I used the patch, dramamine (if I remember correctly, they also have a non-drowsy formula), the wirstbands and ginger tablets, and drank ginger ale. Overkill? Perhaps, but it all helped, and I really enjoyed myself without being sick at all. Also, a cabin towards the middle of the ship will help alleviate that "rocking" feeling.
    July 1976-Off Site
    March 1993-Off-Site
    Oct. 1994-Port Orleans
    Feb. 1997-Port Orleans
    Dec. 1998-Dixie Landings-Cruise-Dixie Landings
    Nov. 2001-Caribbean Beach
    Nov. 2004-POR-CRUISE-POR
    Sept 2005 DL Paradise Pier
    Dec. 2006 POP
    Dec. 2007 CR
    Nov. 2008- POR
    Oct. 2010 BWV
    Nov. 2011 POR

Post Thanks / Like

We are currently on the Magic...regarding the rocking of the ship, it rocked and rolled significantly until early this morning (day 2). However, it rocked again a bit when we pulled into Key West around noon. It didn't bother me to the point of seasickness...more of a drunk feeling, swaying and having trouble walking straight.
    1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans FQ
    1998 - Wilderness Cabins
    2001 - All Star Music
    2002 - Dolphin
    2003 - Coronado Springs
    2005 - Polynesian
    2007 - Port Orleans Riverside, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Springs
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2011 & 2016 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasPrincessAurora View Post
    It didn't bother me to the point of seasickness...more of a drunk feeling, swaying and having trouble walking straight.
    The funny thing is, this is exactly the feeling that you'll experience after you get off the ship. We'd be standing on dry land and swaying for no apparent reason .

Post Thanks / Like

What's really funny is that I told my DH (this is his first cruise ever) that he would feel the boat moving and it would affect him...he thought I was kidding. HA!

We did feel it again last night leaving Key West until sometime in the middle of the night...but to me there is nothing like being rocked to sleep by the ship.
    1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans FQ
    1998 - Wilderness Cabins
    2001 - All Star Music
    2002 - Dolphin
    2003 - Coronado Springs
    2005 - Polynesian
    2013 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to let everyone know that they do make Bonine for kids, I saw it in our local drugstore (CVS)!! I think the age went up to 12!
    Beach Club Villa's 10/03
    Portofino Bay and Beach Club Villa's 10/04
    Saratoga Springs Resort 10/05
    Pop Century and Beach Club Villa's 10/06
    Boardwalk Villas 06/11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debandbub View Post
    Also, a cabin towards the middle of the ship will help alleviate that "rocking" feeling.
    I have not been on Disney, but my DD 17 was on a cruise last year with her Music Dept and was very ill along with most of the people that were with her. She stated that the day after the worst of it an announcement was made for those that were sick to stay on deck and not return to their cabins. They said that going to the cabin can make it worse??? They said it was better to stay on deck in the open air. I don't know if its true or not, but she took dramamine, and once she could get it in her she did better. Hopefully all will go well with no rough seas!!

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyfan, I've heard the same advice. That's it better to be up on the deck staring out at the horizon, than in your room. Unfortunately, I think what happens alot, is that people simply wait too long before taking a Bonine or Dramamine and they have no option, other than to stay in their room until it starts working in their system.

Post Thanks / Like

My best advice is be proactive...have meds on hand and if you are prone to motion sickness take some before boarding and keep taking it until the movement settles on board.

I would say the fresh air helps. It also helps to have that visability that you get on deck. I think the motion also is felt more the lower you are on the ship and the more you are in the aft section of the ship. Hopefully that helps!
    1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans FQ
    1998 - Wilderness Cabins
    2001 - All Star Music
    2002 - Dolphin
    2003 - Coronado Springs
    2005 - Polynesian
    2013 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

We start taking Bonine the day before we leave for the cruise and don't stop for a day or two after we return.
    On our first cruise the rocking flat out scared me. I am a bit of a control freak (no, really, I am) and it seemed SO out of control to me. I went to our room during dinner on the first night and went right to bed. By 11pm the rocking had basically stopped and I was ready to join the fun.
    I think if you are proactive with the Bonine, you will be fine.
    Nell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AvaNellMouse View Post
    On our first cruise the rocking flat out scared me. I am a bit of a control freak (no, really, I am) and it seemed SO out of control to me. I went to our room during dinner on the first night and went right to bed. By 11pm the rocking had basically stopped and I was ready to join the fun.
    From what I understand the rocking on the first night (and on the last, in our case) is fairly typical because it is when the ship is crossing through the Gulf Stream. Once you're through, it's usually smooth sailing (pun intended).

TexasPrincessAurora, hope you're enjoying your cruise! We look forward to your trip reports (hint hint).
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: