Quantcast Toy Story Mania - Is is really needed?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DisneyJunkie Guest

Default Toy Story Mania - Is is really needed?

The announcement of another Buzz Lightyear-esque attraction coming in, albeit in Disney-MGM Studios this time, got me thinking: Why do we need another Toy Story-based attraction? Don't get me wrong, I love Toy Story, and I love the fact that it's a new ride going in instead of a show or something, but why Toy Story AGAIN? They have nothing, to my knowledge, based on Hercules or Tarzan (not anymore anyway) or a few others. I do like the fact that this will help pull people slightly away from constantly hanging out near the ToT/RnRC area, since another popular ride on the other side of the park is long overdue.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJunkie View Post
    I do like the fact that this will help pull people slightly away from constantly hanging out near the ToT/RnRC area, since another popular ride on the other side of the park is long overdue.
    Exactly. MGM has needed a new, big attraction for a long time. If they choose it to be Toy Story, so be it...yeah, there is a lot of Pixar in the parks. Personally, I don't have a problem with it; I see it as a new generation of sorts. Regardless of what the ride is centered around, I'm just glad MGM is getting something new.
    Now, bring me that horizon... 8(:-D
    TIx2GR
    [/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

MGM is a 1/2 day park at best. It's in desperate need of something new. Outside of Fantasmic! we don't even bother with MGM anymore.

I don't think Lights Motor Action really had the impact they needed it to, and it's got bery limited show times, so not much in terms of crowd control if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

The only rationalization that I can see for another Toy Story attraction is that the Buzz Lightyear ride is only based on that one character, not any of the others from the movies. And the rides are at least in some ways similar to each other. I wonder why they didn't try to make this new attraction based on the Incredibles - there's not much in the parks yet from that movie which is now several years old.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

This attraction will open just before Toy Story 3 comes out. SO I think they are getting a jump on it. The studios needs to be the thrill ride capital of Disney. I think the Pixarization is great. It adds a lot to the atmosphere. We need an Incredibles themed attraction, maybe the monsters inc. door coaster. Or a Star Wars speeder bike coaster. They have so much and are doing so little with it! TOT and RNRC are great and all, but we need something BIG. They have alot of land there!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

ditto.... they are working on toy story 3. It also helps that it is a huge hit for the boys and disney is so princess oriented for the girls.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

MGM needed to add something new...something that will 'swallow' up guests. Since Disney's track record in creating lately is poor and Toy Story is hugely popular...people will "respond" to it's characters. I can't wait for it to open

Plus if the rumors are correct, the park will be renamed The Disney/Pixar Studios in 2008
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point, but I'm just happy they're adding something to what was rapidly becoming another 1/2 day park.

Honestly, it was starting to get annoying paying for admission to the Studios and Animal Kingdom when I hardly spent any time there. At least this will give me a reason to visit again.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Toy Story is a great movie to expand upon because boys can appreciate it.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Disney/MGM is in need of more rides and I love Toy Story, but I'm confused by why they would make another ride that is so seemingly similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride. Yes, they are in different parks, but they are basically the same concept.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I definately agree that we really don't need another Toy Story attraction just like we didn't need 2 Nemo based attractions. But of the all the parks th eone that needs the most help is the Studios. This park has very little identity and quite frankly if it wasn't for ToT and RNRC attendance would be the lowest of all 4. So to answer the question they need all the help they can get.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I too agree that the addition of another good attraction on the opposite side of the park from RnRc and ToT is needed. I also agree that they should look to do a theme other than Toy Story.

What hasn't been mentioned that really makes me concerned is that this is not a new pattern for Disney and was promised to end after the shakeup with Eisner, Pressler and others leaving the company. If you remember, it was about 10 years or so ago that you saw the Lion King just EVERYWHERE at Disney World. I hope this is not another effort on Disney's part to do things on the cheap again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belle619 View Post
    I agree that Disney/MGM is in need of more rides and I love Toy Story, but I'm confused by why they would make another ride that is seemingly so similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride. Yes, they are in different parks, but they are basically the same concept.
    I totally agree. It's not the fact that it's a Toy Story themed attraction, it's the fact that it's almost identical to Buzz Lightyear. I have the same issue with Monsters Inc. and Turtle Talk. Why make virtually the same attraction just with a different characters and a different "theme?" I love Monsters Inc... probably one of my fav Disney movies, but I just don't understand the copy-cat attraction.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, MGM needs another major attraction and a Pixar Film is the way to go, but I think The Increatibles or a Meet the Robinsons ride would be cool, maybe have a cool ride like Spiderman, at Universail...has anyone ever rode that? It's a fantastic ride!
    Kristi Kay
    2003 CP Cast Member

“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
    –Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceship Tigger View Post
    I wonder why they didn't try to make this new attraction based on the Incredibles - there's not much in the parks yet from that movie which is now several years old.
    Now THERE'S an idea! I loved that movie. I hope they do a sequel at some point.
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Kay View Post
    ... maybe have a cool ride like Spiderman, at Universail...has anyone ever rode that? It's a fantastic ride!
    While early descriptions make it sound like it's a Buzz clone, recently info has "leaked" that indicate that it's probably going to be more like a Spiderman killer than a Buzz clone. I'm somewhat excited, but leaning towards cautiously optomistic.

Let's hope there was still some imagination sitting on the shelves over at Imagineering, or whoever they contracted with for this new attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Toy Story and agree it's nice to appeal to young boys (since I have 2 that hate princesses!) but I am really bored by the Buzz "ride." I really don't want to play video games and it does seem redundant. I am hoping it is really not the same. It would be nice if it could be lively like BTM, have the fun of Peter Pan, keep the charm of the Toy Story Movies (which Buzz does not) but not be too scary for the young ones.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

It'll be interesting to see... I think a Stitch *ride* would be great.

***Yes, I know of the stitch *attraction* in Tomorrowland!***
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they have other plans for the Buzz Lightyear building.

Anyway, don't judge it until its opened. We don't even have all the info on the technology yet.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait for the new Toy Story ride to come out. I think it will be a lot of fun and a nice change for the MGM park. We enjoy that park, but it definitely needs some new stuff!
    1996...Magic Music Days...Off Site
    2000...With family...Off site
    2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR
    2008...4 year anniv...Windsor Hills
    2011...8 year anniv...Lighthouse Key
    2015...10 Year Anniv...Windsor Hills

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: