Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
What I can't understand is how using a cell phone is more distracting than talking to people who are in the car with you. Think about how many people take their eye off the road to look at the person they're talking with.
This has pretty much always been my position, as well. I don't see why or how talking on a phone while driving is so challenging for some people. We've been holding conversations in cars since they were invented.

Once again, I'm pretty sure that cell phones are just a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself. I drive and talk on my phone all the time and I can assure you I have no problem with it (and no ... that's not just my opinion ... I take driving very seriously and I know when my attention is being impacted ... ).

The real problem is that most people in this country just take driving for granted. They're never trained to respect their vehicle and what it is (basically a 3,000 pound weapon) not are they properly trained to operate it.

Also, I find that many, many people these days are self-absorbed in all facets of their lives, not just driving. I'd say 50% of the population acts as if they are the only ones in the world.

Much like strollers and wheelchairs and smokers and all the other folks we tend to criticize, don't blame the symptom ... blame the root cause ... morons ....