Quantcast Furniture Refinishing Help Needed!!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Furniture Refinishing Help Needed!!!!

I was wondering if you guys have any tips on furniture refinishing. We are replacing the carpet in the dining room with a vinyl floor that looks like stone tile (thanks to the cats who think this room is a giant litterbox ). The furniture pieces in this room do not match each other. We have a beautiful lady's desk and matching mirror and a small bookcase all in a dark walnut finish but they are with a rectangular farmhouse table and 6 Windsor chairs in a yellow pine / white painted finish. The chairs are chipped from 14 years of use and need refinished so and I would like to strip the whole set and stain it to a dark finish similar to the other dark furniture and then purchase a buffet with a china hutch. Do you think I would be better off stripping and refinishing the 6 chairs or replacing them? If I opt for the refinishing, should they be a stained one solid color or refinished in a style like they are now - paint on the backs and legs (probably black or dark brown) and the dark stain on the seat. The table seems easy enough but those chairs frighten me and I'm so confused! Is it possible to go from such a light-colored wood to a really dark stain with success? I have stained new wood to a golden oak finish but I have not refinished furniture before. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The good news is you can go darker!

the bad news...stripping chairs is a pain. And you'll need to get them all the way stripped of the paint (or at least a one in a big way) to be sure that you can stain them the way you want.

Can you just do one as a test? That's what I'd do!
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I have had some woods that have been difficult to stain. Some don't want to absorb the stain.
    I find it pretty easy to use the gel stripper. The old desk I was talking about w/ the marker in the other post-- it was hard to stain. It's an old school desk w/ the lift top and I don't know if it's the age of the wood or the type. There is usually a lot of variance when you stain different woods w/ the same stain. Leave it on longer to help it get darker.
    My mom gave me her old tabel. It was made in Italy and it's Italian inlay, round and a little higher than the average American table. I am having a tough time finding chairs to go w/ it on my budget. If I had something that went well w/ my table I would refinish it-- so that's my vote just from my experience. See if you can try one before trying the whole bunch. You may love the results.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with stripping chairs. It's a royal pain. The best/easiest way would be a chemical stripper, unfortunately, that can discolor the wood.

Also, something to note, different woods take stains differently, so the same color stain CAN look different.

Sometimes it's easier just to buy new...

Good luck!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: