Quantcast Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4.05 Billion - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    The synergy between the franchises had been there for quite some time.
    In addition to the obvious Star Wars - Indy/Disney connection, don't forget that Industrial Light and Magic used to have a Computer Graphics division. But they sold it to a guy by the name of Steve Jobs who changed the name to Pixar. And that John Lassiter worked for ILM in the 1980s.

So there are a lot of connection points here.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does this have to be an instead of Avatar instead of IN ADDITION TO Avatar?

Or why does this need to be better than the Marvel deal or the deal they should have done instead of Marvel?

I just don't get it. It's an awesome deal in addition to the company's agreements with other. I think that this will be a great expansion to DHS along with Carsland coming. (Rumored of course) But what I really want is MONKEY ISLAND!!! Give me more Monkey Island Disney!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why does this have to be an instead of Avatar instead of IN ADDITION TO Avatar?
    I honestly think that Avatar will push forward at its own merit and pace regardless of the addition of Lucasfilm to the Disney stable. Given that they have put $$ into securing the licensing as well as designing and now apparently bidding out the show building, I don't see this as a smokescreen or diversion. Short of some kind of Ewok or Wookie type concept, I don't see any synergy between Star Wars and AK. I'm hoping the delay or slower pace of the DHS makeover announcement was due to the finalizing of the Lucasfilm deal and that they may have some new elements to the makeover that are Star Wars related.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we talking a new park or a new land within a park?
    1983 - OS (Off Site)
    1991 - OS
    1993 - OS
    1996 - OS
    1997 - OS
    1998 - cbr
    1999 - OS
    2000 - CBR/Con/DCL
    2000 - WL
    2001 - OS
    2002 - POR/DLH
    2003 - AKL/DCL
    2003 -WL
    2004 - SS
    2005 - Poly
    2005 - Pop
    2006 - POFQ
    2007 - Pop
    2009 - Pop
    2011 - CS
    2014 - Pop
    2015 - OS
    2016 - CB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPooh View Post
    Are we talking a new park or a new land within a park?
    That depends on who "we" is.

If "we" are Intercotees here on this forum (and others like this board), then everyone is excited and talking about the possibility of either new attractions, whole "lands" and/or even an entirely new park based on the SW theme.

But if by "we" you mean Disney, then all they are saying right now is that there will be more Star Wars movies, the next one coming in 2015. New additions to theme parks/resorts are certainly expected, but exactly what will be forthcoming is all speculation by fans at this point. There has been no official announcement about what this means for the parks (yet).
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

After reading the 4 pages this announcement has already created, I have nothing new to add except

Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    Ermegerd! Totally forgot about that. Ian and I were talking about about how they could move or ditch Muppets 3D and wipeout the backlot tour and create a whole new section for Star Wars, but they could include the stunt show and maybe a new version of the Indiana Jones ride from DL too.
    On no you didn't! You did not just say that they should ditch Muppets 3D! Granted I know that this is so small compared to what "Star Warsland" could be....but don't mess with my Kermie!
    Melissa
    "I'm Goofy for Mickey"

2008 - Dolphin, 2010 - Port Orleans, 2011 - Coronado Springs, 2012 - Beach Club, 2013 - Beach Club, Next Trip Oct 2014 - My first trip to Disneyland!!!

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaW View Post
    On no you didn't! You did not just say that they should ditch Muppets 3D! Granted I know that this is so small compared to what "Star Warsland" could be....but don't mess with my Kermie!
    I'm going to get a little off tangent here but I'm with you! I hope they don't entirely ditch it. That would break my heart. Heck I don't even want the movie updated like most people do because it (along with the Muppets at Walt Disney World special) was the last thing Jim Henson took part in before his untimely death. Many of the other Muppeteers involved have passed away or are no longer involved with the Muppets. That being said, if it stands in the way of expansion, it would not shock me to see it go bye bye Personally I wish they would continue to do MORE with the Muppets. The movie was a relative success, but not a HUGE hit. They fumbled the ball for so long that I'm not sure the Muppets can ever reach the success they had in previous decades.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious... does anyone else hear Dr. Evil's voice in their head when they read the title of this thread? "4.5 BILLION DOLLARS!"
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Found an article yesterday that apparently Lucas is donating all of this money (the $4 billion dollar deal) to a charity.

I don't know if I can post this outside link but it was on nbcnews.com this morning.

George Lucas donating Disney sale billions to charity

Chris Pizzello / AP file
    George Lucas and Darth Vader.

By Alex Ben Block, The Hollywood Reporter

Follow @ TODAY_ent
    By the end of the year, the $4.05 billion sale of Lucasfilm to Disney should be finalized. And since George Lucas owns 100 percent of his company - which has little to no debt -- all that money goes to him.
    After that, Lucas plans to quickly put the bulk of the money into a foundation which will primarily focus on educational issues, a spokesperson for Lucasfilm tells THR.
    PHOTOS: When You Wish Upon a Death Star: The Surprising Symmetry of Star Wars and Disney
    “George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors.”
    Advertise | AdChoices

It's not yet clear which foundation will get the proceeds. Lucas is currently the chairman of Edutopia, which is part of the George Lucas Educational Foundation. He could put money into that or create a new foundation which would be funded from the sale.
    RELATED: George Lucas' Next Act: Bill Gates-style Philanthropy
    The Foundation was the vehicle Lucas used to make a $175 million donation to his alma mater USC in 2006. He has also given to many other causes over the years including the Film Foundation, Stand Up To Cancer and the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
    “For 41 years, the majority of my time and money has been put into the company,” Lucas said in a statement Wednesday. “As I start a new chapter in my life, it is gratifying that I have the opportunity to devote more time and resources to philanthropy.”
    RELATED: George Lucas' 2010 Philanthropy Pledge
    The spokesperson noted that this “announcement continues a commitment that Lucas made in 2010 to The Giving Pledge where he stated, “I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education. It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future—and the first step begins with social, emotional, and intellectual tools we provide to our children. As humans, our greatest tool for survival is our ability to think and to adapt—as educators, storytellers, and communicators our responsibility is to continue to do so.’”
    For the full text of the 2010 letter, click here.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! I have a few thoughts about what I would like to see with the movies/parks!

1)Episode 7 - written by a real writer, not Lucas, and directed by a real director, maybe Whedon and we might get a get movie on par with Empire Strikes Back.

2)Star Wars land at DHS. (Don't touch Muppets!)

3)Animals of Star Wars at AK. (goodbye Camp Mickey and Minnie.)

4)Tree House Villas being remade as Ewoks Treehouse Village!

5) Indy ride from DL cloned at WDW.

Very excited by the purchase!
    23 Trips in 21 Years, Including 5 Disney Cruises, From Chicago
    Hopefully DisneyLAND summer 2014!
    DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Just curious... does anyone else hear Dr. Evil's voice in their head when they read the title of this thread? "4.5 BILLION DOLLARS!"
    YES!! In fact, when I told my sister about the deal, I said that Disney paid "4 billion dollars" in the Dr. Evil voice! Too funny!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

They should not ditch The Muppets. If anything, it's now time to expand upon the fun merchandise morphing Muppets characters into Star Wars characters.

Disney is building a massive stable of properties that are more in line with Disney's core than some of the acquisitions Eisner made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    They should not ditch The Muppets. If anything, it's now time to expand upon the fun merchandise morphing Muppets characters into Star Wars characters.
    I agree, I know I bought the Muppet Star Wars figurines! Hopefully you are right.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

So Disney now have a new song...

When you wish upon a Darth Star

Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigmickey View Post
    1)Episode 7 - written by a real writer, not Lucas, and directed by a real director, maybe Whedon and we might get a get movie on par with Empire Strikes Back.
    Word.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Woohoo! Jar Jar Binks' Wild Ride!

But serupisly, an early post herein mentioned the idea of sacking Avatar for Star Wars in future land-building. That would be awesome! I hate Avatar. Besides, they already have a non-blue Pocahontas in their inventory.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigmickey View Post
    YES!!!!

4)Tree House Villas being remade as Ewoks Treehouse Village!
    Oooooo, I wish.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

But I think you are all missing the BIG money point that Lucas brought to the table... Howard the Duck!
    07/95 FW
    12/96 Off Prop
    11/97 CBR
    12/98 ASM
    12/01 ASMo
    11/03 Off Prop
    12/04 ASMo
    12/07 ASSp, Pop
    12/09 ASM
    09/10 FW, SSR
    11/11 SSR
    02/12 POR