Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009 - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney has taken a turn for stupid. It started with removing the wand at Epcot and now this. What's next? Closing the parks on weekdays?
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    unless I missed something, can't you still do that?

No because it will only be 2 times a week..... can you think what it is going to be like....

If it is packed even when it has 2 showes a night what do you think it will be like at only 2 times a week.....

You will have to spend 4 hours in line just to get in.................

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

We never spend a whole day at Hollywood Studies, but we may do something in the morning than another park at night. Or go at night and catch the show than go back to the resort. That's why we love Park Hopping.
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I am simply amazed at some of the responses. Unless I read the announcement wrong, I don't believe that they are reducing the number of Fantasmic shows due to American Idol. I don't think that's what they were saying at all. All they did was give some of the additions to DHS, and there have been a few. I am certainly glad that most of you are not going to the American Idol attraction. That should reduce my wait in line. This has been the #1 show on TV for a few years. Why wouldn't Disney want to partner with it? And before all you naysayers come back with the fact that viewership has been down, it was STILL the most watched show on television. And what has all of this got to removing the wand at Epcot?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with everyone else. Not to happy with the cut back on Fantasmic shows. And not to excited about the American Idol. It'll be good laughs to watch people act a fool, but probably only good of a one time view. I've never watched an American Idol show.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    I remember when it started, you had to be there more than a hour ahead to get a seat. Recently, you didn't have much trouble getting in even coming just a few minutes before the show started on many nights. So, it seems to me that the crowds are eroding just as you would expect for an older show.
    I'm surprised that Fantasmic is not getting as many people anymore. I haven not seen the show at WDW for a few years now since my last visit, but everytime I've been there it is full or mostly full. Fantasmic is one of my favorite evening shows at WDW ... even over Illuminations.

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    I'm sure it will run nightly when it's busy.

It's done that way at Disneyland. In fact during the slower months Fantasmic! only runs on the weekend.
    That is true, though I find that whenever the show runs, the crowds are always about the same. There seems to be no reduction of people wanting to see it, even though it is an "old" show. Friday night I watched the second show at Disneyland, which is usually a little smaller crowd then the first show, but not by very much. Though I don't know how the seating capacity of Fantasmic at the Studios compares to the viewing area at Disneyland.

One of the problems with the show only being two days a week is sometimes the show is canceled do to the weather. I remember several years ago I had to go to the Studios three nights in a row just to catch one Fantasmic show becuase it was canceled previous two nights.

I agree with what some have said that going from 7 nights to 2 nights is very dramatic. I would think maybe 3 or 4 nights a week. Especially since people come and go at different times from the resort. Someone visiting on a long weekend, Friday through Monday, would not be able to see it at all.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

as posted by others,i too am anti-idol.
    it's almost like the "outside" world infiltrating
    the escape of wdw..
    we always tried to catch fantasmic a couple of times each trip.that's going to be a little tough
    now.
    just knowing it's not happening every night is
    a little sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought ---

Maybe they are canceling some of the shows because they are assuming that a lot of people will 'choose' the daily 'final contest' during the evening at American Idol. Perhaps they are figuring that will be a big draw for a while (since it's new), and since they are assuming the crowds will be significantly less at Fantasmic, they decided to cancel some shows....and they'll save some money in the process. Then, if the need arises....they would 'reinstate' more shows.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't gotten to see Fantasmic yet. We were planning to see it on our March trip. This really ***** to hear this.
    Missouri Nurse
    Me (Kim), DH (Kenny), DS (Charlie)
    DD (Kimbra) DD Kaitlyn

March 2008 offsite-First trip Me and Kids
    March 2009 POR First Family Vacation

Post Thanks / Like

I just love this part...

On nights when Fantasmic! is not performed, Guests (with appropriate ticket media) will continue to have the opportunity to enjoy nightly fireworks spectaculars such as Wishes at the Magic Kingdom® Park and IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at Epcot®.

Those of you with tickets that will get you into these other parks, can continue to enjoy those other parks and their nightly events, which are not the same as Fantasmic!, but we will pretend that they are actually on the same level for the purposes of this bit of condescending corporate double-talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyguy View Post
    as posted by others,i too am anti-idol.
    it's almost like the "outside" world infiltrating
    the escape of wdw...
    It indicates to me that WDW is becoming more generic and developing fewer of its own concepts.

The requirements to do anything in the parks appear to have to meet one of the following criteria:

(1) must have something to do with the Pirates movie franchise/concept;
    (2) must have something to do with Pixar;
    (3) must have something to do with High School Musical;
    (4) must be developed/originated outside of WDI/Disney.

I know there are a few exceptions over the past several years, but I certainly have been left with the perception that most new things fall into one or more of the 4 areas mentioned above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    It indicates to me that WDW is becoming more generic and developing fewer of its own concepts.

The requirements to do anything in the parks appear to have to meet one of the following criteria:

(1) must have something to do with the Pirates movie franchise/concept;
    (2) must have something to do with Pixar;
    (3) must have something to do with High School Musical;
    (4) must be developed/originated outside of WDI/Disney.

I know there are a few exceptions over the past several years, but I certainly have been left with the perception that most new things fall into one or more of the 4 areas mentioned above.
    While I'm not defending the AI attraction, I really don't know what I think about it, as to #4, did you have a problem with it when Disney-MGM opened Star Tours, or The Indiana Jones Stunt Show? What about the Twightlight Zone Tower Of Terror or Rockin' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (not a Lyric Street or WDR band). If those don't bother you, then the arguement is illogical.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb26 View Post
    Thanks for the update!

I'm not too happy with the announcement about Fantasmic being only 2 nights a week. I don't understand why almost every time I have ever gone to watch the show the theater has been basically full and that is all times of the year.

I can only imagine what will happen when its only offered 2 nights a week. Guess you'll have to get there very early to get a seat
    First they close PI and now cut 5 shows a week of Fantasmic. I know they want to cut costs but cmon. I cant tell you how many times I have wanted to see Fantasmic, gotten there over an hour before the show and couldnt get it. your right...how hard is it going to see when its only available twice a week. Its not as if the show were unpopular. I think its time we all start boycotting Disney and go elsewhere until corporate realizes that cutting so many things will just turn people away and not encourage attendance. People complain and still go, Disney will not care what we say. We stop going they may reconsider.
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    People complain and still go, Disney will not care what we say. We stop going they may reconsider.
    I think that is the whole point of them cutting back - people have stopped going. Actually, more to the point is that people are not booking rooms and packages for Q1 '09, so they feel they have to save some money.

From an e-mail newsletter that I received today:

Disney sees slowing ad sales, park hotel bookings

Walt Disney Co said park bookings were flat and it had detected weakness in advertising sales in the current quarter, sparking fears that U.S. economic woes will hit its results and sending its shares down 2 percent.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its time we all start boycotting Disney and go elsewhere until corporate realizes that cutting so many things will just turn people away and not encourage attendance.
    I call that cutting your nose off to spite your face. Two or ten shows of Fantasmic! there isn't a vacation destination in the world that I would rather take my children to. As devistating as this may be to some there are still a zillion other things to do at WDW at night.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    I call that cutting your nose off to spite your face. Two or ten shows of Fantasmic! there isn't a vacation destination in the world that I would rather take my children to. As devistating as this may be to some there are still a zillion other things to do at WDW at night.
    Why cutting your nose to spite your face? Prices rise and entertainment drops. And please tell me a few things to do at night. Without PI soon it looks to me I would have to sit and watch tv in my room while the kids are in bed. Not many more options for us grown ups when the parks are done. Except for maybe Citywalk at Universal.
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

Post Thanks / Like

Why cutting your nose to spite your face? Prices rise and entertainment drops. And please tell me a few things to do at night. Without PI soon it looks to me I would have to sit and watch tv in my room while the kids are in bed. Not many more options for us grown ups when the parks are done. Except for maybe Citywalk at Universal.
    Guess that depends on when you're going. If you're going during the busy season, the parks are open until 11 or midnight, plus Extra Magic Hours if you want to do that. I can't think of anything much better than walking around a very quiet Magic Kingdom at 2 am after watching the fireworks together. I certianly wouldn't choose a nightclub in lieu of that. I can go to nightclubs anywhere - there's only one Magic Kingdom. Isn't that why we go to WDW and not Universal or the nearest city?

And additionally, if it's the crowded season, Fantasmic will definitely be more than 2 times per week.

As for other nighttime activity, I don't know. Again, the best I've got is the parks at night (especially EMH nights), a quiet walk around your resort and a late night dip in the pool when most everyone is in bed. The Boardwalk has several places that are open until 1am-2am... Not sure if these are all still open, but according to Intercot:

Atlantic Dance Hall
    Feel the live Latin rhythms sizzle at this newly themed club. It's hot, hot, hot! Lounge and dance club for 21 and over only.
    (Valid, proper photo ID required.)
    Hours: Tuesday-Saturday -- 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
    Schedule: Tuesday, Wednesday & Saturday are VIDEO DJ Nights, playing some of the best music videos on a large screen.
    Thursday &Friday nights are DJ only nights, playing a mix of today's top hits.
    Please Note: The Atlantic Dance Hall may be booked for wedding receptions and other special events and does accommodate live bands for those events when requested.

Jellyrolls
    A Dueling piano bar where you choose the play list.
    Take part in non-stop live entertainment in a casual atmosphere.
    Admission Ticket required
    21 and over only. (Valid, proper photo ID required.)
    Hours: 9:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.
    Those are in addition to a few different places to eat (ESPN Club, Big River Grille & Brewing Works) that are open until midnight or later.

Downtown Disney still has quite a bit open late, you could catch a movie, grab a bite or just take a walk lake-side, etc.

I think if you do some digging you'll find there's plenty of nighttime activites, many of which cost nothing and in my opinion can be a much more enjoyable experience than dancing with a bunch of drunk and/or sweaty people in a club.

Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse will be missed, yes, but honestly, how often did you visit there, and at what hour?

I don't know - personally the things that I enjoy about WDW are the things that are exclusive experiences, and really I never found Pleasure Island as much of a unique experience. I found most of it to be fairly generic and un-Disney.

By the time the parks close, I'm about out of energy anyway, especially if it's 11 or midnight or so. By the time I get back to the hotel it's usually close to 1am. Even during the "slow" season, there's often a park open late with EMH (usually at least until 11pm), and even if there isn't by the time you get back to the hotel it could be 11 or 12, and there's really no time to head over to DD/PI after that. Perfect time for a quiet coctail poolside or a quiet walk around the resort.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    While I'm not defending the AI attraction, I really don't know what I think about it, as to #4, did you have a problem with it when Disney-MGM opened Star Tours, or The Indiana Jones Stunt Show? What about the Twightlight Zone Tower Of Terror or Rockin' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (not a Lyric Street or WDR band). If those don't bother you, then the arguement is illogical.

My understanding is that Tower of Terror and the coaster were developed by WDI, who then approached Aerosmith if they would like to be involved and the controlling entities for Twilight Zone. If you are aware of Aerosmith coming up with the coaster idea and Disney bringing them in, or Twilight Zone folks coming up with the Tower of Terror concept first, please share it with me. Granted, those are not marketed by Disney names/brands, but it works.

As far as Star Tours goes, I know that Ron Miller was the first to approach George Lucas about rides like that, and that goes back at least 25 years. It and Indiana Jones are real properties with lots of imagination behind them. American Idol is just one of those "reality shows" dreamed up out of a desire for the big networks to stop paying creative people. I see no reason to think its entry into a theme park is any less of a cheap production (relatively speaking).

Just like I would not have a problem with a Pixar thing here or there, I don't have a problem with 1 or 2 Star Wars-themed attractions or Indiana Jones-themed attractions. When it feels like the vast majority of new stuff is either based on Pirates, Pixar, High School Musical, or non-Disney property, it gets a little old to me. Maybe it works for others... Expedition Everest made me want to go, not because it was a coaster, but because it was something new, not tied into any other marketing scheme and just sounded like a brilliant idea. I get the impression that those kinds of concepts are getting harder and harder to sell internally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    3) Some are saying that Fantasmic is packed, even during the off-season. I find that hard to believe. I've been to Fantasmic during the summer (busy season) and not had a 100% full show yet. I've seen shows that are mostly full, but I've never been to a "sellout". The last time I saw Fantasmic (last day in June or thereabouts, 4 years ago), they didn't even open up the "end" sections on both sides of the amphitheater.

I find it very difficult to believe that it will be packed every day during the slow times.
    If you haven't been to Fantasmic in 4 years how can you make any assumptions about what people who have been more recently have or haven't seen? From what I've read attendance has been rising steadily for at least that long (after a dropping off after 9/11), so it stands to reason that Fantasmic crowds would increase as well. We went the first Sunday in June this year and it was standing room only (it was also the first Star Wars weekend so I'm sure that played into it). We also went on a weekday (Mon. or Tues., can't remember which) in Feb. and again it was standing room only.

I agree with a lot of your points, I'm just not sure how you can be so sure of your assumptions if you haven't been to a show in 4 years?
    DVC owners at AKV since March '08

Upcoming trips: Dec. 2008 AKV (40th b-day trip!), Jan 2009 AKV (mom's trip w/best friend)

June 2008--"Bonus" trip Hilton DTD
    Feb. 2008--POR (moms' trip w/best friend)
    Oct. 2007--POR
    Dec. 1988--offsite
    1982--DL Hotel
    1972 ('73?)--Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    My understanding is that Tower of Terror and the coaster were developed by WDI, who then approached Aerosmith if they would like to be involved and the controlling entities for Twilight Zone. If you are aware of Aerosmith coming up with the coaster idea and Disney bringing them in, or Twilight Zone folks coming up with the Tower of Terror concept first, please share it with me. Granted, those are not marketed by Disney names/brands, but it works.
    The coaster itself is an off the shelf coaster the WDI themed (very well I might add)
    As far as Star Tours goes, I know that Ron Miller was the first to approach George Lucas about rides like that, and that goes back at least 25 years. It and Indiana Jones are real properties with lots of imagination behind them.
    From what you just said, it sounds like Miller approached Lucas, an outside entity to help them make a ride.
    American Idol is just one of those "reality shows" dreamed up out of a desire for the big networks to stop paying creative people. I see no reason to think its entry into a theme park is any less of a cheap production (relatively speaking).
    Don't misunderstand, I'm not jumping up and down about AI either, but your arguement basically boils down to, you don't like American Idol. Certainly it'll be a better attraction than Sounds Dangerous, which is a ridiculous waste of space and probably a great way to pass germs...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: