Quantcast Disney World theme parks are closing

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney World theme parks are closing

Disney has announced the temporary closure of its Walt Disney World theme parks.

"In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of our theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Paris Resort, beginning at the close of business on Sunday, March 15, through the end of the month," a Disney spokesperson said in a statement.

Disney resort hotels and Disney Springs will remain open for now.

Disney Cruise Line is also suspending operations through the end of the month.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

2. Thanks KODABEAR thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The parks have never been closed this many days EVER since they opened. Do you think they will use this time to refurbish things they don't normally get the opportunity to? With the parks shut down, I wonder if they can get a lot more off-hours work done. I don't know...trying to be "glass half full" and see an upside to all of this.

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

5. Likes PopPhan, texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jennsky View Post
    The parks have never been closed this many days EVER since they opened. Do you think they will use this time to refurbish things they don't normally get the opportunity to? With the parks shut down, I wonder if they can get a lot more off-hours work done. I don't know...trying to be "glass half full" and see an upside to all of this.
    No, looks like they are thinning staff, etc. The World will be dormant.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I read on Twitter (don't have a link) that they will be doing more maintenance, etc. IF this true, the thinning staff probably has more to do with those that only directly dealt with customer service.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope. I'd hate for their staff to lose their jobs. They'll have a lot of time to work on the parks. Might be several months before they are brought back online. Maybe they can fix the yeti.. j/k
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

9. Likes magicofdisney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    maybe they can fix the yeti..
    That's the first thing I thought of too!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    That's the first thing I thought of too!
    As nice as that would be, to do so would take years rather than months. They need to disassemble most of the structure to get to the base for the yeti, make the necessary corrections (if possible) then reassemble the whole thing. I am not sure this will EVER be done. Sorry!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Just hope that a virus like this we never have to go through again. As life is now put on hold. Feel for those working in the Disney resorts.
    March Madness 2024!!

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth -since I saw a few people mention the possibility of Disney catching up on maintenance during this time.

I have a friend who is an electrician and the company he works for does a ton of work for Disney. He thought the same thing but today they were told that they're all getting laid off and Disney isn't going to have them doing any work during the shutdown. Looks like Disney is in full pull-back mode right now, not fix-it while the guests are gone mode.

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting to hear. I wonder, though, if it's primarily third-party vendors that are not being utilized. I have neighbors next door that work as electrician for Disney directly. I'll check with them to see their status. Although, I just looked out the window and both their vehicles are in their driveway.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Orlando Business Journal has reported that ALL construction within the confines of Walt Disney World has been curtailed at this time.

According to the Orlando Business Journal, Mark Wylie, president and CEO of Central Florida chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors Inc., has stated that Disney “has shuttered construction operations at Disney World.”
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

16. Thanks magicofdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole point of these closing and social distancing is to get people to stay home not to allow Disney to continue construction and repair work. With that said the best way to do this is to stop all work and keep the workers home.

18. Likes dnickels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that social distancing is essential, but where do we draw the line? I understand that Disney isn't a necessity in life. I'm not arguing that point at all. I'm just wondering where, as a society, do we determine who gets to work and who doesn't. My daughter works for Publix and she (gets to? has to?) works during this time.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

20. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They aren't doing anything. Laying of staff, etc. This is going to be a long haul shutdown, they are hemorrhaging money like everyone else. No cruises, etc. They know the books this year are going to be bad. Save as much as possible. I'd love to see a video where a gator gets loose and is walking down mainstreet.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

22. Likes magicofdisney, Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    They aren't doing anything. Laying of staff, etc. This is going to be a long haul shutdown, they are hemorrhaging money like everyone else. No cruises, etc. They know the books this year are going to be bad. Save as much as possible. I'd love to see a video where a gator gets loose and is walking down mainstreet.
    I know, it's horrible how this has hit our economy. When the shutdowns first began, I was optimistically hoping it truly would be for only a couple of weeks. I know better now.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

24. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I know, it's horrible how this has hit our economy. When the shutdowns first began, I was optimistically hoping it truly would be for only a couple of weeks. I know better now.
    When they started taking radical stances like killing the economy, I knew this was not going to be a short thing. The financial ruin will probably kill more people than corona.

On the upside, still holding out for the gator down mainstreet.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

26. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, this is going to be a long haul. We've had this discussion at home, about the value of lives vs. the value of the economy. Some people have said that we shouldn't be killing the economy to "keep Grandma alive". But I pointed out that it's not just Grandma that we're trying to keep alive. It's my friend, Derick, who is recovering from his year-long cancer fight who has four children under the age of 9. It's my friend, Chris, who was diagnosed with MS last year and whose meds make him immunosuppressed. He runs a company and has two teenage children. That's who i'm trying to save. I'll stay home for six months if it means that they'll get to live to raise and provide for their families.

And to maybe go on vacation with them to Walt Disney World!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

28. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes magicofdisney, TheVBs, PopPhan, barnaby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    about the value of lives vs. the value of the economy. But I pointed out that it's not just Grandma that we're trying to keep alive. It's my friend, Derick, who is recovering from his year-long cancer fight who has four children under the age of 9. It's my friend, Chris, who was diagnosed with MS last year and whose meds make him immunosuppressed. He runs a company and has two teenage children. That's who i'm trying to save. I'll stay home for six months if it means that they'll get to live to raise and provide for their families.

And to maybe go on vacation with them to Walt Disney World!
    It seems like it is an easy choice, but it isn't. What if Chris' company tanks and he can no longer afford his medications? What if Derick's cancer returns and he and his wife don't have a job with insurance to pay for treatment? It's a lot more convoluted that it seems at first glance. While I applaud the people who are willing and able to make sacrifices for the health of others, I understand that some people have no choice but to work to support their families and most of those people need customers.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

30. Thanks magicofdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    It seems like it is an easy choice, but it isn't. What if Chris' company tanks and he can no longer afford his medications? What if Derick's cancer returns and he and his wife don't have a job with insurance to pay for treatment? It's a lot more convoluted that it seems at first glance. While I applaud the people who are willing and able to make sacrifices for the health of others, I understand that some people have no choice but to work to support their families and most of those people need customers.
    No doubt. And there is no good answer. I'm not particularly worried about these two guys' employment because of their industries and client bases. But that's not the case for everyone.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

32. Likes PopPhan, Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    No doubt. And there is no good answer. I'm not particularly worried about these two guys' employment because of their industries and client bases. But that's not the case for everyone.
    Wow, it is refreshing to see an adult exchange/conversation on this topic. The other Disney board that I look at is incapable of this kind of exchange without blame, name-calling, and general melt-down!

34. Likes azcavalier, PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: