Quantcast Magic Kingdom & Disneyland to Alter Memorable Scene of Pirates of the Caribbean

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Magic Kingdom & Disneyland to Alter Memorable Scene of Pirates of the Caribbean

6/29/17

Disney Parks & Resorts has announced that part of the Disneyland Paris Pirates of the Caribbean Re-Imagining will be coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland with the alteration of a memorable scene:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks & Resorts
    ... a familiar character is playing a new role joining the pirates ranks and helping the local townspeople “unload” their valuables at the Mercado auction. In the U.S., this famous redhead will appear in a similar scene at the Magic Kingdom Park and Disneyland park in 2018 following a previously scheduled refurbishment.

Name:  ajdn313.jpg
Views: 2734
Size:  33.1 KB
    Dates for the cited refurbishments have yet to be made public.

6/30/17

Since the announcement, several Disney representatives have made statements directly addressing the change:

Suzi Brown, spokeswoman for the Disneyland Resort: "We believe the time is right to turn the page to a new story in this scene, consistent with the humorous, adventurous spirit of the attraction.”

Kathy Mangum, senior vice president of Walt Disney Imagineering: “Our team thought long and hard about how to best update this scene. Given the redhead has long been a fan favorite, we wanted to keep her as a pivotal part of the story, so we made her a plundering pirate! We think this keeps to the original vision of the attraction as envisioned by Marc Davis, X Atencio and the other Disney legends who first brought this classic to life.

Marty Sklar, former vice chair of Walt Disney Imagineering, “The Imagineers are simply reflecting what Walt started the day Disneyland opened – making changes that create exciting new experiences for our guests. I can’t think of a single attraction that has not been enhanced and improved, some over and over again. Change is a ‘tradition’ at Disneyland that today’s Imagineers practice ... Pirates of the Caribbean has always represented great Disney Park storytelling; it has set the standard for the theme park industry for half a century. But it’s a story you can continue to add fun to, with great characters in new ‘performances.’ That’s what the Imagineers have done with this new auction scene – it’s like a theatre show with a new act.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll just come out and say it. Dumb. dumb. dumb. I don't get it.

The whole concept of Pirates of the Caribbean is politically incorrect. Heck, Johnny Dep is stone cold drunk thru the whole movie and pirates kill people. In the ride, the they fire cannonballs with the intent to harm/kill, steal goods, are trying to drown the mayor in a well, commit arson setting the town on fire and in the last scene, the pirates in jail are about to get burned alive (if they can't get the key from a dog).

What's next, changing the song? Drink up me hearties yo ho! We can't have that!

Smile on - me hearties yo ho!

There is absolutely no reason to change this. Leave the classic ride alone.
    Last edited by John; 06-30-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

4. Thanks MattHolst thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could not agree more, John. It's just plain dumb. The reason cited - not fitting with "modern sensibilities" - basically means someone feels uncomfortable with the realities of the past. When you're telling a story from a particular period in history, you shouldn't have to cover up the "bad" parts just because some parent will be uncomfortable explaining to little Susy why those ladies are tied up like that. Disney's done a pretty good job with PotC to make it fun, even with the underlying negative themes associated with pirates.

And as for the song, I'm not sure how much longer words like this will be allowed to endure:

Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me.
    We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot,
    Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
    We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot,
    Drink up me 'earties, yo ho.

Although the song has two points in its favor - the words are hard to understand on the ride and the folks complaining most likely don't understand the meaning of words like ravish and pillage.

I'm saddened by this.

But then I remember when there were gunfights on the streets of Frontierland at Disneyland. And the Marshall always killed the outlaw.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

6. Likes Park Hopper, Isabella, MattHolst liked this post
    Wmsbrg, VA (12 hours & 22 minutes from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

This has me super irritated because I know my kids will not get to enjoy Disney the way I did. Also, when did pirates become politically correct!? Pirates were the most politically incorrect people on earth! Times are changing.
    "When hinges creak in doorless chambers... and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls.. whenever candlelights flicker... where the air is deathly still... that is the time when ghosts are present... practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

8. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is just plain dumb. That's arguably the most iconic scene in the whole ride. What the double hockey sticks do they THINK pirates did???

I'm very disappointed in this change.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

10. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more. I see it as a part of history and a good way to demonstrate how far we've come. I'm 20 years old (so recently a kid), and I never even truly understood the meaning behind it when I was little. Honestly to me it was just a ride and I enjoyed it.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

12. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man. This even makes my bleeding liberal heart sad.
    Not cool Disney, not cool.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

14. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely ridiculous. What's next, they have the townspeople and pirates in a group hug at the end?
    - Brian

First WDW visit: 1984, Village Resort
    Last WDW visit: 2015, Caribbean Beach
    Next WDW visit: 2018, Polynesian

16. Likes Arielfan98, MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, just dumb! I sure hope this isn't the start of something with Disney, are they going to go through rides one by one and remove those things deemed politically incorrect. SMH
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

18. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fusillejerry View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous. What's next, they have the townspeople and pirates in a group hug at the end?
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

"We think this keeps to the original vision of the attraction as envisioned by Marc Davis, X Atencio and the other Disney legends who first brought this classic to life.”

The original vision is the way they made it. Who does she think she is kidding?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

21. Thanks MattHolst thanked for this post
    Likes TikiLounger, PirateLover, MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a little surprised to find myself in the minority, or maybe I am just the first to comment. I hope my opinion is also welcome to this discussion.

I think this change is good. Personally, I feel any depiction of auctioning off human beings, no matter how tongue-in-cheek or imaginary it may be, is wrong and shouldn't be ok in 2017. The intent no longer matches the impact. It's not funny to me. I would cringe during that scene of the ride. I am not a huge fan of Pirates to begin with, I have no childhood attachments to it at all, so I can't put myself in the shoes of someone who is upset about this, but I can understand why you would be. But I think this is good and needed, and if I'm the only INTERCOT member who feels that way, then that's ok with me

23. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Likes DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    I am a little surprised to find myself in the minority, or maybe I am just the first to comment. I hope my opinion is also welcome to this discussion.
    Of course it is welcome. We don't always have to agree with each other to respect each other's opinion.

25. Likes Figment!, VWL Mom, DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather them move the new picture snap to where that scene will be. Capture the new frowning folks
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

27. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Of course it is welcome. We don't always have to agree with each other to respect each other's opinion.
    Thanks. I know that, I've been on these boards for ten years but sometimes things still get heated. That's why INTERCOT rocks!

29. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it's stupid. Somebody on another forum stated that they will always chant "We wants the Redhead!!" at that point, no matter what. A silly protest, perhaps, but I understand where they're coming from...

31. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the thing...this ride is already a VERY loose interpretation of "The Pirate Life."

It is not meant to be taken seriously. It never was.

This bride auction scene is already basically a joke. In real life, pirates just kidnapped and assaulted women willy nilly. There was no organized auction in the town square.

This ride was always meant to be a "light hearted" look into piracy, even though we all know, as adults, how terrible it really was (and still is).

My biggest issue here is that Disney seems to be defaulting to "let's not offend anyone ever," rather than allowing parents to discuss these kinds of historical facts with their kids when the kids are old enough to notice it. Erasing everything that is offensive is not a good way to educate people going forward.

On a sort of related subject...why can't parents just let kids be innocent anymore? This seemingly bothers parents who feel that they shouldn't have to explain human trafficking to their kindergartner at WDW. Then don't! Seriously, let them ride pirates and let it go over their heads, like it did for millions of other kids. When they are adults they will figure it out and realize they enjoyed the ride as kids and had NO IDEA about any of this "dark matter." All I remember as a kid is how much I LOVED the song and how cool that fire scene looked. My kids have ridden it and I certainly haven't piped up afterwards and said, "weren't you horrified to see such violence and horrible mistreatment of women? You know that bride auction scene is a demonstration of human trafficking. How does that make you feel?"

Seriously. Kids don't know any better. And adults should know enough to just accept it for what it is...a THEME PARK RIDE, not a political commentary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat
    "...My biggest issue here is that Disney seems to be defaulting to "let's not offend anyone ever," rather than allowing parents to discuss these kinds of historical facts with their kids when the kids are old enough to notice it. Erasing everything that is offensive is not a good way to educate people going forward.

On a sort of related subject...why can't parents just let kids be innocent anymore? This seemingly bothers parents who feel that they shouldn't have to explain human trafficking to their kindergartner at WDW. Then don't! Seriously, let them ride pirates and let it go over their heads, like it did for millions of other kids. When they are adults they will figure it out and realize they enjoyed the ride as kids and had NO IDEA about any of this "dark matter." All I remember as a kid is how much I LOVED the song and how cool that fire scene looked. My kids have ridden it and I certainly haven't piped up afterwards and said, "weren't you horrified to see such violence and horrible mistreatment of women? You know that bride auction scene is a demonstration of human trafficking. How does that make you feel?"

Seriously. Kids don't know any better. And adults should know enough to just accept it for what it is...a THEME PARK RIDE, not a political commentary."

You absolutely nailed it Natalie! Ms. Mangum & her gang have obviously received some complaints from people who like to do just that - complain, and sat around the conference table WAY overthinking this. They need to stop worrying about the small number of complainers (they won't ever be satisfied anyway), stop thinking like a corporate board member, and start thinking like a 11 year old kid. Otherwise, this kind of thing will continue, to the detriment of all.

Or better yet, they can all just go jump in Bay Lake.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

34. Thanks njespers thanked for this post
    Likes njespers, MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Here's the thing...this ride is already a VERY loose interpretation of "The Pirate Life."

It is not meant to be taken seriously. It never was.

This bride auction scene is already basically a joke. In real life, pirates just kidnapped and assaulted women willy nilly. There was no organized auction in the town square.

This ride was always meant to be a "light hearted" look into piracy, even though we all know, as adults, how terrible it really was (and still is).

My biggest issue here is that Disney seems to be defaulting to "let's not offend anyone ever," rather than allowing parents to discuss these kinds of historical facts with their kids when the kids are old enough to notice it. Erasing everything that is offensive is not a good way to educate people going forward.

Seriously. Kids don't know any better. And adults should know enough to just accept it for what it is...a THEME PARK RIDE, not a political commentary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah, explaining all the intricacies of Aladdin must kill some parents. Along w/ Splash Mountain (song of the south), Country Bear, and the murder in Haunted Mansion. Do they need to purge the voices and songs from South, pretty much nothing from CB can exist, and remove all of the murder from HM. Yeap, sounds like a blast to me.

While freshening up things is necessary, keeping some aspects of nostalgia are also necessary. At least for me, to keep coming back. If totally different, I see it as a break for me to go check out other offerings. B/c of so many moves, similar to this, is why we are considering an all Universal/Seaworld vacation. I see less of an anchoring me to what I am familiar with that creates sentimental nostalgic feelings, and thus makes me think, "what else is out there." I dont know if that makes sense to anyone else?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

36. Thanks njespers thanked for this post
    Likes njespers, Park Hopper, MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post

While freshening up things is necessary, keeping some aspects of nostalgia are also necessary. At least for me, to keep coming back. If totally different, I see it as a break for me to go check out other offerings. B/c of so many moves, similar to this, is why we are considering an all Universal/Seaworld vacation. I see less of an anchoring me to what I am familiar with that creates sentimental nostalgic feelings, and thus makes me think, "what else is out there." I dont know if that makes sense to anyone else?
    I am right there with you.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: