Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Take it from someone who is involved in outsourcing for many years already: it is a financial decision, sometimes covered by operations' arguments, but always decided by it's effect on the bottom line. Disney is throwing the towel for PI, stating that 3rd parties will do a better job. A better job for Disney's bottom line, NOT necessarily for the guest experience.
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Take it from someone who is involved in outsourcing for many years already: it is a financial decision, sometimes covered by operations' arguments, but always decided by it's effect on the bottom line. Disney is throwing the towel for PI, stating that 3rd parties will do a better job. A better job for Disney's bottom line, NOT necessarily for the guest experience.
    I wasn't necessarily speaking of PI, but again, it was a Disney decision what to put there. You can outsource and still have "original" themeing, restaurants, stores, etc. It's not so much the nature of outsourcing that's the issue, it's Disney's decision of just exactly how to outsource that's at play.

But anway, as far as PI goes... I wish I could say that I'm sad to see Adventurers Club or Comedy Warehouse go, but I tend to spend most of my time at the parks. I can appreciate that there are some people who really like them, but I went to Comedy Warehouse once, and found the improv to be nothing better than what I'd see at any other improv show or something on Comedy Central. Yes, it's a live show, and yes, it was fun, but I never felt a drive to go back.

I guess I've just been more of a "parks" guy. That's where I want to spend my time. If we have some free time, I enjoy a round of mini-golf and spending some time at Downtown Disney getting something to eat, walking around and checking out World of Disney for a while, but beyond that, that's it for me. I'm just thinking that the majority of guests are the same way. There just isn't enough of a draw at PI to make it worthwhile to keep.

And I've mentioned this before, but I don't think the concepts behind PI and some of the clubs is going to be completely forgotten by Disney. I have a feeling they're looking to do something a little bigger that provides an adult experience, and be more popular. Perhaps some form of a boutique park that's built on the Night Kingdom concept they've talked about.

I still believe the best things they could do to make an "ultimate" Downtown Disney are the things I mentioned here:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...&postcount=235
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

nothing wrong w outsourcing....Ive eaten at PH, Rainforest etc
    but tell me that no CMs are losing their jobs over the closures or outsourcings.
    and i understand that its a business so they have to make money...but why do the cutbacks come at the little guys expense & not at the expense of the top guys, bonuses etc in many companies.
    Im almost always half full pessimistic....
    & booyah Im hoping for all the new rides also. as long as they are unique, Disney imagineering at its best.
    but nothing is official yet.
    I am expressing my opinion thats all. I will most likely express my right not to visit WDW next yr, which would b unusual for me as thats the only place Ive taken vacation for many a year.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    nothing wrong w outsourcing....Ive eaten at PH, Rainforest etc
    but tell me that no CMs are losing their jobs over the closures or outsourcings.
    and i understand that its a business so they have to make money...but why do the cutbacks come at the little guys expense & not at the expense of the top guys, bonuses etc in many companies.
    Im almost always half full pessimistic....
    & booyah Im hoping for all the new rides also. as long as they are unique, Disney imagineering at its best.
    but nothing is official yet.
    I am expressing my opinion thats all. I will most likely express my right not to visit WDW next yr, which would b unusual for me as thats the only place Ive taken vacation for many a year.

the disney corporate fortune has been built in large part on "the little guys" since the early 90's.....

I know that you and I....and everyone else who spends thousands annually going to WDW...doesn't want to think about it at home....much less while we're there....

but it is true.

at one time....working as a CM was a good, coveted job. While maybe not the most attractive wages - they were closer....livable.

Somewhere at the start of the "disney decade"...the family atmosphere that the disney family used to run their operations was quietly reversed by the suits and the screws tightened....

Raises ground to a halt....specilized training and positions eliminated....consolidation...lowering of discipline actions and hiring requirements...reorganization....productivity quotas.....you know the drill.

bottom line: is that it's all about the bottomline...

sad but true

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: