Quote Originally Posted by jusandnew View Post
If i am understanding this right. You would go to a ride and they assign you a time to come back with the DAS. When you have a child or,adult with Autism or high aniexty not getting on the ride will set the person off . With a child with autism they think they are going on the ride then you have to come back in 20 min or more.
How can this be prevented?
You explain to the child or adult what is going to happen. Many kids with autism are capable of understanding more than they are given credit for. At the very basic level, you could create a social story explaining the process, or use PECS for non verbal kids. My son with autism had limited speech when he was younger but he was able to understand the DAS process using "first this, then that" style explanations. First we get a return time, then we come back when the timer buzzes (I would always set a timer on my cell phone and give him updates every 5 minutes). Then we would either choose to wait standby for a short line attraction, go get a snack somewhere quiet, or go look in a gift shop. He very quickly caught on that getting a return time meant we ride a little while later. No issues at all.

However, it is worth noting that the DAS holder does NOT have to be present when getting a return time. So if there is more than one adult, have one stay somewhere else with the child while the other gets the return time.

However, it behooves you to teach the DAS holder flexibility and have them learn by repetition how the process works so they will be more comfortable with it. My son used to completely panic when he saw a long line at a ride he really wanted to go on and would assume that meant we were going to skip it. Now HE tells me, "let's get a return time and ride later."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk