Quantcast Mainstreet Bakery-Starbucks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mainstreet Bakery-Starbucks?

So I haven't found a thread on this topic and if there is one please direct me to it, but I just wanted to know people's opinion on it since it opened. I myself am not much of a Starbucks person. My mom and sister love this idea and the fact that some menu items can be used on the DP. I however am a little upset by this because MS, USA was based on Walt's hometown, correct? I do not reckon his hometown had Starbucks and even if they do now I still think MS has lost some charm because of the Starbucks. Not to mention I liked getting my cinnamon roll from there and I certainly do not feel like Gaston's Tavern is the correct place for it. Does anyone else feel this way?

My next trip is in mid-August so I will witness it for myself, but as of right now I am not happy with the Starbucks there.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of Starbucks, but not where they put it at MK. I am not a huge fan of Starbucks food items and will miss the MK bakery items.
    1984 - Off Property
    May 2002 - AKL
    May 2003 - DL - One day
    January 2006 - One day
    March 2006 - CSR
    March 2008 Swan/Dolphin
    December 2008 - CBR/AKL
    November 2012 - AoA Lion King
    March 15-22 2014 - Swan/Dolphin
    Nov 13-22 2014 AoA Cars

DVC Owners @ GF
    Up Next:
    Sept 4-12 Poly Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I didn't even notice the change from the outside when we were there. I did notice the inside looks much roomier, it was still busy but not cramped.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I never visited the Bakery before it was Starbucks. But I really enjoyed seeing how well it was put together. They were very organized and both times we went, I got my coffee quickly.

I could take or leave it.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberj View Post
    I like the idea of Starbucks, but not where they put it at MK. I am not a huge fan of Starbucks food items and will miss the MK bakery items.
    I agree with you 100% I'm not against the idea of a Starbucks at MK, just the location.I feel like they could of squeezed it in the new Fantasyland rather than MS Bakery.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the idea in theory, but I am *seriously* going to miss some of those baked goods! I practically used to dream about the chocolate croissants and would always treat myself to one for breakfast as a way to start my day at the Magic Kingdom.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    I agree with you 100% I'm not against the idea of a Starbucks at MK, just the location.I feel like they could of squeezed it in the new Fantasyland rather than MS Bakery.
    Hmm, was Sara Lee in Walt 's hometown. Actually no, they came into existence in 1935 and MS is supposed to be turn of the last century. But that didn't stop Sara Lee from being the sponsor starting in the 70's.

Really, this argument has been beaten to death. Sponsors have been a part of Disney parks and MS since opening day of Disneyland in 1955. There never has been an argument against sponsors on MS and Walt embraced the concept and had all kinds in his park. So let it go and just enjoy the Coca-Cola Casey's Corner across the street.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    There never has been an argument against sponsors on MS and Walt embraced the concept and had all kinds in his park. So let it go and just enjoy the Coca-Cola Casey's Corner across the street.

Never thought about it that way, but it definitely is a good point! Dole (you'll never hear a complaint there), Coke, Cisco, etc... Lots of sponsors present in Disney in areas where they would not be time-period/area relevant, yet they don't snag much controversy. Main Street hasn't been exempt either!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed the new Starbucks. The location is very well done from the light fixtures to the photos on the wall, making it look like it's been there all along. If you pay attention to those photos, it gives the appearance of a "backstory" and a family that established the location, much like many of the other attractions around WDW. While I too missed the cinnamon rolls, I thought it was rather nice to have the Starbucks selection of baked goods available as I feel that most locations that have baked goods all have the same items, MS bakery included. There was very little that was special or different anymore.

And I agree that sponsors have always been a part of WDW and probably always will be. One of my favorite sponsors has a little snack stand over in Adventureland...
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Really, this argument has been beaten to death. Sponsors have been a part of Disney parks and MS since opening day of Disneyland in 1955. There never has been an argument against sponsors on MS and Walt embraced the concept and had all kinds in his park. So let it go and just enjoy the Coca-Cola Casey's Corner across the street.
    I couldn't agree more and this is just as we discussed in previous threads. I can't wait to see the new Bakery!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that sponsers are an important part of Disney HOWEVER Starbucks just does not interest me in the least. I LOVE Starbucks and I do grab one when I'm out and about but at Disney, I want something that I can't have at home. Dole is a great example of that....I cannot get a Dole Whip Float just anywhere. If Starbucks is going to be there, they should bring something unique to the relationship.

And I want the French Toast Loaf back somewhere in Disney!!!

Post Thanks / Like

True, true very good points with the sponsorship but once again I am not happy with the location. Perhaps if they left it with the same bakery products maybe I'd be happy but overall I am just not happy with it. I will say though after seeing a video of the interior I am put at ease that it does not look completely like the Starbucks in my area, but point is I'd rather it be somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Walt needed sponsors to fund his dream, but he was fanatical about quality and story and wanted to create something different. I think everyone's concern is not about Starbucks or Coca Cola as much as whether MK is turning into a mall with McDonalds and Starbucks and the same stuff you can get at Walmarts or Disney Store in the gift shops or does it offer a one of a kind, themed, immersive and dare I say, magical, experience.

I HATE going to the mall. I come to WDW because it tells a story, it enchants me, I am given an illusion of a happy, magical place. Starbucks says to me: get your caffeine and go to work! Mc Donald's says to me: hurry, get some "food" and rush off to your next destination. When I walked into Main Street bakery I didn't know that Sara Lee corporation was involved.

Yes, WDW needs a better cup of coffee, heaven knows!! Put Starbucks (or frankly just some brewed coffee) into the resorts if you must, or in into DTD, but seriously to replace an original part of Walt's park with the same coffee shop that every one of us has on our commute to work? This is not imagineering, this is a corporate America. This is, sadly, the mega corporate beast that stole Main Street from America! I'll bet every ones of our main streets have McDs and Starbucks and Wells Fargo and TGIF and CVS. Walt's was a little different and he was trying to recreate that, share that with us. Sorry, Walt.

I think the naysayers are not against Starbucks as much expecting a lot more imagination and story telling from the "happiest place on earth" and with a ticket price to match. If I want Starbucks I can do it a lot cheaper in my home town.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I'm not happy about Starbucks but I know it brings in a lot of $$$$, so I think a fair compromise would be to put it in another location that's NOT the main street bakery please -_- I felt like the coffee at WDW was fine and I only drank a cup in the morning. Either way I'm semi-happy about it because it is a great partnership with Disney and it makes my sister and mom happy and probably many other Disney-Starbucks fans. On the other hand like I've been saying from the get-go it was put in the wrong location.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    To be honest I'm not happy about Starbucks but I know it brings in a lot of $$$$, so I think a fair compromise would be to put it in another location that's NOT the main street bakery please -_- I felt like the coffee at WDW was fine and I only drank a cup in the morning. Either way I'm semi-happy about it because it is a great partnership with Disney and it makes my sister and mom happy and probably many other Disney-Starbucks fans. On the other hand like I've been saying from the get-go it was put in the wrong location.
    You clearly believe that but haven't yet given a valid reason as many posts have pointed out. It's just your personal dislike which you are indeed entitled too. But it's just personal opinion not a reason why its the wrong location.

It's there, it's successful, and it is going to be there for quite some time. It really is time to get over it and die of something else as the phrase goes.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Like most of what happens at WDW, it's there and we can't change that. Again, it's beautifully done and completely fits in. The décor is done in such a way that it does appear to have a backstory. No matter where it went in, somebody would have complained about it.

By the way, along the same side of MS, Arribas brothers sponsors the glass shop and Edie's ice cream (which I can get at my local Walmart), sponsors the Ice Cream Parlor. Among many others, Chevrolet sponsors Test Track, Siemen's sponsors Illuminations, as pointed out - Dole sponsors Aloha Isle, and the pavilions in World Showcase in Epcot were built and sponsored by the countries they represent.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    Like most of what happens at WDW, it's there and we can't change that. Again, it's beautifully done and completely fits in. The décor is done in such a way that it does appear to have a backstory. No matter where it went in, somebody would have complained about it.

By the way, along the same side of MS, Arribas brothers sponsors the glass shop and Edie's ice cream (which I can get at my local Walmart), sponsors the Ice Cream Parlor. Among many others, Chevrolet sponsors Test Track, Siemen's sponsors Illuminations, as pointed out - Dole sponsors Aloha Isle, and the pavilions in World Showcase in Epcot were built and sponsored by the countries they represent.

Post Thanks / Like

We were in WDW last week and all I will say on the subject is this:

DD(20) asked us to wait for her for a sec.
    She entered what she thought was the Main Street Bakery (based on location by memory). She returned in about 15 seconds asking 'Why in the world is there a Starbucks where the Main Street Bakery is supposed to be?!?!?"
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

This will be the first year ever that we probably won't eat breakfast on Main Street now that the Cinnamon Rolls are no longer at the bakery. I have never eaten anything from Starbucks...anyone have recommendations for something good for breakfast there? I really would like keep our tradition...and I'm too hungry in the morning to walk all the way to Gaston's for cinnamon rolls lol.
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

How much would it cost to build a Starbucks on the main street of Marceline, Missouri, Walt's boyhood home, and then say, "See, now we have a Starbucks on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom, too?"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: