Quantcast CM dampening my magic - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

But CM's tallking about their life with their co-workers ... not at all. I talk to my co-workers. That's what you do at work. This is their daily life and honestly I can't believe someone would say that it ruined their trip by taking away the magic...

I did not say it RUINED my trip...in fact it was amazing. I guess I always assumed that no matter what shop you went in to at MK the CMs working there were in character. Did not mean to imply that they were not wonderful at their job. I just don't like to hear details of a stomach flu (yuck)...no matter where I am.
    Offsite 94
    Offiste 2001
    Offsite 2004
    AMO 2007
    POP April 2009 Oh yeah!!!
    AOA March 2013
    Pop 2015
    AK-Kidani 2016
    Beach Club 2016

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents and their brat kids ruin my trip. Oh but they have "ADD." No! Parnets dont know how to discipline anymore.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    Parents and their brat kids ruin my trip. Oh but they have "ADD." No! Parnets dont know how to discipline anymore.
    You know, my son is autistic. Although he is older now, he had more issues when he was younger. Were there times he screamed, cried, didn't listen? Of course. I can assure you my parenting or discipline skills are not the problem. Please learn some tolerance. When you can walk in my shoes, or my son's shoes- then feel free to judge.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Recently there was a piece on one of the morning talk shows where they went behind the scenes of the costume department at MK. It was very interesting to see how it all worked. They showed a clip of some CM's standing in line to "check out" their costume. What struck me was that the CM's looked like any person you would see standing in a check out line..they are just normal folks. Not sure what putting on that costume does but I know it made me remember that the magic isn't everywhere.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know why people share the gory details. Just say you had a stomach bug.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

This is why my dream job would be to take over CM training at Disney Parks. It USED to be that you could expect nothing but perfection from them. They were considered performers - as their moniker, "cast member", would indicate. They're not "just employees" - they're part of a HUGE show. And yes, they absolutely ARE responsible for making sure I have a nice vacation, at least for the few minutes I'm in their shop or restroom or whatever.

I know they're only human, and I'm sorry the lady had been sick - it's not about being unsympathetic or expecting people to be superhuman. I think the expectations from inside the company have lessened for CMs, and therefore, they are not trained or motivated as they seem to have been in the past. They SHOULD make more money - or Disney should have a better hiring/screening process, to find people who really do want to play dress-up all day and entertain Guests, no matter what their role is.

Of course, I'm always wishing things could be better than they are...but isn't that as it should be?
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

You weren't really eavesdropping if you were in a quiet store and people were having the conversation right in front of you. If they were trying to have a private conversation and you were struggling to hear, that would be one thing. And if their conversation bothered you then, it's on you. But this is a bit different, and not what I would call eavesdropping. You couldn't help hearing the conversation.

Two workers talking while I'm in the store, no big deal to me. As long as they greet me and also pay attention to my needs as a customer, they can chat while I browse. But maybe it was the subject matter that put you off? Unnecessary icky details? I'm not sure it would have bothered me at all. Unless they were inattentive, and then I would be annoyed. But still not to a point where it ruined the magic. I guess I have different expectations, and wouldn't really expect the store CMs to be "in character" at all. Which doesn't mean I don't expect courtesy and good service.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I mean honestly, no one wants to hear about ANYONE'S stomach flu be it at walt disney world or not!! I know this is silly but I can't wait until they spruce up DTD a little because that area that is down by cirque du soleil makes me feel like I am just at a strip at home and that whole area kind of bums me out a little.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

AmandaChan, I think I read somewhere (maybe here) about a massive expansion coming to Downtown Disney.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

If they were ignoring me to discuss their issues or blatantly cussing then it would probably annoy me but just general talk is pretty much what everyone does at their jobs. I think they probably do a better job than most for the money they make.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dixielandings View Post
    This is why my dream job would be to take over CM training at Disney Parks. It USED to be that you could expect nothing but perfection from them. They were considered performers - as their moniker, "cast member", would indicate. They're not "just employees" - they're part of a HUGE show. And yes, they absolutely ARE responsible for making sure I have a nice vacation, at least for the few minutes I'm in their shop or restroom or whatever.
    I tried. I really did. As a trainer myself, I *wanted* to - and did so - train my CM's in the correct "Disney way". But, once they passed their assessments, it all went out the window. Why, I *don't know*.

There's *so many* different levels of training for CM's - and the first level, "Traditions" - has kind of...well....gone downhill. Then, you have area training, getting them familiar with the "land" or resort or wherever they're going. Then you have attraction/location training, and when I did this, I tried to incorporate what I thought was the "Disney way" on top of the attraction training, so they wouldn't forget how to treat their guests. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought--but shouldn't this be true of any job, not just at Disney World? When I walk into a restaurant/shop/office/hospital/etc. anywhere I would hope that every employee endeavors to provide the highest possible customer service (the "magic") to me, their customer. I think we can take our cue from the way it is *supposed* to be at Disney World and apply it to our own jobs.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Just a thought--but shouldn't this be true of any job, not just at Disney World? When I walk into a restaurant/shop/office/hospital/etc. anywhere I would hope that every employee endeavors to provide the highest possible customer service (the "magic") to me, their customer. I think we can take our cue from the way it is *supposed* to be at Disney World and apply it to our own jobs.
    Agree, the employees are in customer service weather they work at Disney or not doesn't matter. The discussion should have taken place in the break room and not out on the floor where everyone could hear. And I know some can't afford to take a day off even when sick (been there done that) but still shouldn't be talking about it around customers. Then there are those who just like to complain for all to hear.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    Agree, the employees are in customer service weather they work at Disney or not doesn't matter. The discussion should have taken place in the break room and not out on the floor where everyone could hear. And I know some can't afford to take a day off even when sick (been there done that) but still shouldn't be talking about it around customers. Then there are those who just like to complain for all to hear.
    I totally agree. At work I try to remember that I am a representative/ambassador of my place of employment and what I do and say is a reflection of that. Sometimes, though, I wonder if people think Disney cast members should operate at a higher standard than they do in their own jobs? Like I said, just a thought.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    It's kind of funny you mention this. Ironically, I'm currently writing a paper on how the lessons I learned while working at Disney can be applied to the healthcare field.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    Wow, this post is quite rude. Either you have no children or you have Messiah-like children. And in that case, please write a book for the rest of us!
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    You know, my son is autistic. Although he is older now, he had more issues when he was younger. Were there times he screamed, cried, didn't listen? Of course. I can assure you my parenting or discipline skills are not the problem. Please learn some tolerance. When you can walk in my shoes, or my son's shoes- then feel free to judge.
    Agree 100%. Have an ASD/ODD/Anxiety disorder, AND ADHD son, I totally understand. That AND taking kids out of their home routine in to a magical place that can be both amazing and over-stimulating can make any child, special needs or other wise, have a rough day!

And honestly you can't win. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. If it looks like I'm not doing anything, my children are called brats and I'm a bad parent. If I discipline with my choice of methods then surely I'm beating my child.

Posts like that make me not want to go anywhere :/

Back to the OP. Sorry it was tough for you. I think I must be good at tuning lots out! lol.

For me in all seriousness, it doesn't bother me at all. The only time it would is if I'm engaging with them, checking out or something similar and they are ignoring me and still talking [which I've not ever encountered at WDW!]
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    And honestly you can't win. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. If it looks like I'm not doing anything, my children are called brats and I'm a bad parent. If I discipline with my choice of methods then surely I'm beating my child.
    This made me laugh out loud. As sad as it is, it is so true these days!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Wow, this post is quite rude. Either you have no children or you have Messiah-like children. And in that case, please write a book for the rest of us!
    people wanted to put labels on me and medicate me when i was a child. but mom was just plain tough and kept me in line. She didnt need to beat me, just be firm. Result? I wasn't the kid running around grabbing things off shelves, yelling and disturbing others, or throwing temper tantrums. To this day, I still thank Mom daily for keeping me in line when I see kids acting up or being disrespectful.

Either way...am I the only one who thinks this post has um...gone...

!!!!!!!!!!!

WDW Magic = Good
    Politics and Parenting Critiques = Bad

Last edited by MNNHFLTX; 05-05-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: edited for content
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    This made me laugh out loud. As sad as it is, it is so true these days!
    Right!
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    people wanted to put labels on me and medicate me when i was a child. but mom was just plain tough and kept me in line. She didnt need to beat me, just be firm. Result? I wasn't the kid running around grabbing things off shelves, yelling and disturbing others, or throwing temper tantrums. To this day, I still thank Mom daily for keeping me in line when I see kids acting up or being disrespectful.

Either way...am I the only one who thinks this post has um...gone...

!!!!!!!!!!!

WDW Magic = Good
    Politics and Parenting Critiques = Bad

And yet you did a parenting critique Glad it worked for your mom ... Every child is so very different. A good point is to any of these topics in this thread....being in someone elses shoes before lumping them into a category.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

As a former little bus driver I must say I have seen some so called normal adults throw some pretty good fits. Usually the ones that cry the loudest for discipline. I loved all my children and most days the bus ride was pretty smooth. But on those occasions when someone got upset often times the best reaction was no reaction, getting after them (discipline) often times would make it worse. At those times it was best to speak calmly or just give them there space until they could get themselves under control. The other kids on the bus were usually good about someones else fit. I was always amazed with how smart and understanding my kids were. In life I have found that no matter who I am dealing with a patience and a kind word go a long way. Most of the things I learned in life I learned on the little bus.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: