Quantcast Disney files with FCC for wearable digital passes - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big brother comments aside (just as everyone else has mentioned) I actually think this enhances the visit. Who likes having to carry around their wallets all day long and hope not to get it wet! This would be great for me. All I'd have to do is carry around my wristband wave it to get whatever I needed. Drinks, foods, park entrance, fast pass. It's essentially the same thing as a KTTW Card but more convenient.

Big Brother comments are really silly. Let's be honest. EVERYTHING YOU DO ANYWHERE AT ANYTIME CAN AND IS BEING WATCHED! If you're so worried about being watched, change your actions. I think it's just dumb to worry about people watching your actions when every place you go at any time in any town has a way of watching you. Your bank knows where you are at all time. Your credit card companies do as well. This isn't any different than anything else going on in any other place!
    First Disney Trip 1994
    Shades of Green 1999
    All Star Movies 2001
    Shades of Green 2009
    Pop Century 2011
    Bay Lake Tower 2012
    All Star Movies 2012 (Engagement Trip)
    All Star Music 2013
    Pop Century 2014 (Wedding Trip!)
    & Many More to Come!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    If they do happen to switch to these and you want to prevent them from tracking you, all you have to do is wrap the RFID device in aluminum foil or buy a RFID bag.
    Wow, I really hope I see someone with tinfoil wrapped around their wrist so I can have a good laugh.

This whole thing is no big deal to me. I can take it or leave it. Is it really that much faster to scan a wristband rather than pull out your card while you're standing in whatever line? Much ado about nothing, imo. At least as far as the current implementation we are currently speculating about. Why so much money has been pumped into this is confusing to me, but I guess this is just the first step in some down-the-road ideas that could be imagined.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

I could see them using those gel type ones that eveyone has like the live strong yellow ones. This way Disney could sell hundreds of different collectable ones that you would purchase on your own (money maker) then they just tie all your info to that. This would save disney the money for printing tickets as guests would just buy their own bands. If they went this route I know my kids would love it and want to buy a new band every trip.
    I have used the great Wolf Lodge ones and they are very sharp, at least the ones at the location I stayed at. Also you can't remove them which is very annoying. I would be against that style.
    82 84 85 Apr00 MGV, Jan03 LTV, Sep03 ASMu, Mar04 SVR, Sept04 Pop, Sep05 SSR, Dec06 SSR, Oct07 WLV, Oct09 THV, Oct10 AKL, Oct11 AKL, Oct12 THV, Feb13 CBR, Sept13 BLT/BWV, Apr14 BLT/VB , Jun14 BCV, July14 AKL, Jan15 SSR/DCL, June15 BCV/OKW/VB, Nov15 DCL/Poly, Apr16 GF

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how they would handle wristbands for annual passes?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone considered how the bracelets will stick out like a sore thumb in family pictures? I mean, gray may not be everyone's color. Maybe they will have holes around it so super fashionable people can decorate it with disney charms.

I actually think it's a neat idea. Wonder what the finalized product will look like. I think it would be neat if they use the information gathered on it during a vacation to help send me suggestions, promos, etc. for future trips.
    Laura
    VMK: CL_MissAstroCat

Jan 1982-1992-OS • July 1993 - DL Paris • June 1995-ASM • Mar 1998-OS • Jan 2001-OS • Dec 2005- POFQ • Jan 2007- POFQ & Dolphin • Mar 2008- CB • Aug 2008 - Poly • Nov 2012 - POR • Nov 2014 - CSR&AKL • Mar 2015 - POFQ & HilBV • May 2015 - ASSp • Mar 2016 - CB & HilBV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I am willing to wager a large sum of money that these bracelets will be available FOR PURCHASE. I bet if you are willing to plunk down some $$$ the bracelet will be an OPTION for "enhancing your park experience." Further, they will almost certainly be available exclusively to onsite resort guests.

They will most certainly not be handed out to everyone who purchases a park ticket.

Anyone care to take that bet?
    Ooooo, how much money? Unless you have some secret insider information , I'd be willing to bet a much smaller sum of money. Or a virtual .

I think people will probably have the option of holding a ticket or wearing the wristband (marketed as the ultimate all-in-one park convenience), that the wristband will be easily removable, and that many people will prefer it over a hard ticket. I doubt they would charge for them because the data they'll be able to gather is worth so much more than any fee, which would also be a small disincentive to wearing the band.

Also, I'm sure they'll have all the details worked out about annual passes, non-expiring passes, etc., just like they do now. (Maybe they'll even completely do away with non-expiring passes. Hope not! )

In any case, I would be surprised if they switched over completely to wristbands, even after they've been rolled out for awhile. I think there are too many people who wouldn't be able to wear them for various reasons.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind a wristband as long as it's comfortable and removable. Wouldn't want to have to sleep in it! I could see how it would be more convenient and speed up lines at the turnstiles and the CS places. I'm sure they'll still have the card option. Couldn't see them charging extra for it though. Like someone else mentioned it's also more convenient and profitable for them without adding the deterrent of an additional charge to the guest.

Post Thanks / Like

The room keys and KTTWC already have RFID inside them so if you don't want the wristband I'm sure this will be the option. Also there are wallets that block RFID If it is of a concern to you.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I swear, we saw this concept being filmed in Tomorrowland last December/January (I think). They had a multi-generational "family" walking around with different variations of the wristbands. The kids had bright colors, the adults were more subtle.... we couldn't get too close, but we stalked as best we could.

I'm actually surprised that it would have taken this long to come to fruition, but that HAD to be what they were filming. Interesting!

(and I have no opinion either way. I have teen/tween boys who normally would hate the bracelet concept, but they'll do just about anything if it means a trip to Disney.)
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

I goggled the wristbands and one site had a very clear picture of a grey wristband that is removable and had the name of the wearer on it. It looked like it would blend in and not be a problem. It also had mickey on it!
    I don't really care either way. I have never had a problem with the hard ticket or any ticket. It will kinda be a pain to grab and run to get fastpasses carrying 6 wristbands.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    It will kinda be a pain to grab and run to get fastpasses carrying 6 wristbands.
    Good point. I hadn't even thought of fastpasses. We always send one person with all our tickets to grab them. Of course with all this nextgen stuff Disney is hoping everyone books their fastpasses before they even leave home it seems.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

It costs Disney virtually NOTHING to manufacture RFID Key Cards. These bracelets are another thing entirely. They cost money to make. They are electronics, essentially, and there is a good deal more to manufacturing these. I can't see them just handing them out for free.

I just think with the HUGE amount of money that Disney is spending on the NextGen initiative, there HAS to be a catch...they have to charge for SOMETHING if they want to make their money back. I'd rather see them charge for the bracelets than for the Fast Passes themselves, honestly.

I bet that the wristbands will come with a whole new set of "special features" that will enhance things for the user. But, I still think it will come with a cost. Even something negligible, like $5.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

It costs Disney virtually NOTHING to manufacture RFID Key Cards. These bracelets are another thing entirely. They cost money to make. They are electronics, essentially, and there is a good deal more to manufacturing these. I can't see them just handing them out for free.

I just think with the HUGE amount of money that Disney is spending on the NextGen initiative, there HAS to be a catch...they have to charge for SOMETHING if they want to make their money back. I'd rather see them charge for the bracelets than for the Fast Passes themselves, honestly.

I bet that the wristbands will come with a whole new set of "special features" that will enhance things for the user. But, I still think it will come with a cost. Even something negligible, like $5.
    I would think thatany costs would be rolled into either room rates or ticket costs. Since these will also double as room keys, it could go either way.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I would certainly be all over a sparkly version of a wrist band!!

All that glitters is good . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

The idea doesn’t bother me as long as the bracelet can be removed as others have mentioned… for nice dinners, showering, etc. It would also come in handy when buying items to be sent back to your resort – if I could just swipe my bracelet instead of filling out the order form it would save time during the checkout process. If it already has my room number then I can just swipe & go! (That’s what Disney wants, right..?? For me to be off to spend more $!)

I am sure it will be an option - not everyone can wear one.

steph
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephicakes View Post
    The idea doesn’t bother me as long as the bracelet can be removed as others have mentioned… for nice dinners, showering, etc. It would also come in handy when buying items to be sent back to your resort – if I could just swipe my bracelet instead of filling out the order form it would save time during the checkout process. If it already has my room number then I can just swipe & go! (That’s what Disney wants, right..?? For me to be off to spend more $!)

I am sure it will be an option - not everyone can wear one.

steph
    That would be a great option!!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as those of us that have sensory issues or skin issues with wear bracelets can still use the cards - its all good. As for the Big Brother comments - hello, do you not realize that we are already living in that world. If you leave your house, you are tracked at some point in your journey.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I had heard (may have been a rumour) that the wristbands would be available for free in a variety of COLOURS but that if you wanted a custom (character) wristband it would be available at a cost to you.

Character wristbands? Collect away people!

We took this picture of the RFID reader, over our heads, the exit of the Magic Kingdom on our way out on Oct 28. The CM informed us they were testing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    I would certainly be all over a sparkly version of a wrist band!!

All that glitters is good . . . .
    I'm so with you on this one!!!! I LOVE things that sparkle!!!

I would totally be for this - it would sure make things so much easier - but then again, easy is not necessarily a good thing for me when it comes to spending money at Disney!
    Melissa
    "I'm Goofy for Mickey"

2008 - Dolphin, 2010 - Port Orleans, 2011 - Coronado Springs, 2012 - Beach Club, 2013 - Beach Club, Next Trip Oct 2014 - My first trip to Disneyland!!!

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I am willing to wager a large sum of money that these bracelets will be available FOR PURCHASE. I bet if you are willing to plunk down some $$$ the bracelet will be an OPTION for "enhancing your park experience." Further, they will almost certainly be available exclusively to onsite resort guests.

They will most certainly not be handed out to everyone who purchases a park ticket.

Anyone care to take that bet?
    I think you are on the right track with this. It could be a perk for Disney hotel guests. For those staying on property, rather than wait in those long lines for park entrance you would just whisk in like a car on the tollway with a transmitter. All this while they cut the number of gates that accept tickets, because of the reduced need, and the poor sucker who stays off property stands in an even longer line unless he wants to pay extra for the privilege. Just think of how much faster you will be able to get to the new Starbucks themed location on Main Street.
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: