Quantcast People Who Don't "Get" Disney?! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I still get this all the time from friends. Disney is just my happy place. They are the same friends that go to the beach every year. A beach is nothing new either from one vacation to the next. The ocean, beach, pool and sand are the same each year yet they love it. So why can I not love Disney. No two vacations at Disney have ever been the same with us. The kids are different ages each year so you change your plans based on their ages. Now we are going back with grandbabies. Disney is just fun to us, its magical!
    Scrappy

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luv4WDW View Post
    Does anybody else get annoyed by people who don't "get" Disney? [...] The endless questions of, "Why do you keep going? What is there to do? You go without KIDS!?" Anybody else get annoyed by this?!!?!
    I changed careers in 2007 and have been to WDW twice since working in my current job. I found out quickly that I can't talk to ANYONE at my workplace about WDW, because none of them have been there, and none of them have the desire to go there. They say things like "It's just a tourist trap," "It costs too much," and "It's just a place for kids." I get so frustrated!!! It's like they think I'm ignorant or something because I actually WANT to go to Disney - and without kids!

I don't know if it's really because they're jealous or that what they know about WDW is completely false. Either way, I find talking to them about my plans is frustrating, so I don't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sIrishPAl View Post
    Don't question me why I go to Disney every year because if you havent been there ever or in a very long time....do some research and see for yourself all that Disney has to offer. If you can't be happy for my family and I as we get ready to go to Disney, then keep it to yourself. If you are genuinely excited for us....I'll talk you ear off about it. All haters...enjoy your 3 day Cedar Point vacation.
    Amen! I live in Indiana, so I get the whole, "It's cheaper to go to Cedar Point for a week then it is to go to Disney for a day." At least we don't have to smell like stinky fish after riding any of the water rides in Disney
    Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

I get frustrated all the time! I too have learned who to talk to about wdw. I am DVC and theres one guy at work who always asks me when I'm going to visit my money! I am a mailman and I deliver to alot of office buildings. the people love when I bring up disney and always ask me for advice, help with their planning or just flat out plan it for them. I'll sometimes have a whole office full of people come out and ask me for advice or to just hear stories of going and what I do there.
    May 03 OKW Apr 14 BWV
    Apr 04 Pop. Oct 14 BWV
    Apr 06 Riverside
    Dec 08 BWV
    Apr 09 SSR
    Nov 09 BWV
    May 10 BCV
    Nov 10 BWV
    May 12 BCV
    Oct 12 BLT
    Apr 13 BWV
    Jun 13 AKL kidani

Post Thanks / Like

I also love people who go down the shore every year to the same rental and make fun of me. That is until I tell them that I can go to WDW for 10 days for cheaper than you pay for your house down the shore. and my meals are included!
    May 03 OKW Apr 14 BWV
    Apr 04 Pop. Oct 14 BWV
    Apr 06 Riverside
    Dec 08 BWV
    Apr 09 SSR
    Nov 09 BWV
    May 10 BCV
    Nov 10 BWV
    May 12 BCV
    Oct 12 BLT
    Apr 13 BWV
    Jun 13 AKL kidani

Post Thanks / Like

I remember talking once to a friend of my wife's and telling him we go to Walt Disney World every year.
    "Why?"
    "Because we love it there."
    "I would think you've seen enough of it already."
    He just couldn't understand how we would go to the same place every year. Of course, he was very wealthy and probably traveled extensively so I'll cut him some slack.

Back in 2002, we took my in-laws for their first (AND ONLY) trip to WDW. I remember planning extensively so they'd have a good time. My hope was if they'd have a memorable vacation, they'd stop criticizing us about our annual trips. (To them, we could do so much more with our money than to go back to the same place year after year.) With my DW (pregnant with our first child) and me was my father-in-law, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law.

I booked us in a Savannah View at the Animal Kingdom and we went to Animal Kingdom on arrival day. For dinner, we returned to the hotel and went to Boma. When the bill came, my F-I-L said, "What do you have planned for tomorrow??!!"
    "Chef Mickey's for breakfast."
    "Cancel it. What else?"
    "Dinner at Biergarten, Germany."
    "Keep that. What else do you have scheduled?"
    "Lunch at Prime Time Cafe."
    "Cancel that. What else?"
    "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party the next night."
    "Cancel that."
    "I can't. It's paid for and we can't get a refund for that."
    "Ok, we'll go to that, but cancel all the other meals."

I remember watching Fantasmic and turning to my M-I-L and saying, "Can you believe you get all this with the price of admission?"
    "With what they charge, you should get a whole lot more."
    I just shook my head. There are 47 square miles of property being maintained with a staff of some 65,000 employees and she thought everything was outrageous.

On our last day, my M-I-L turned to me and said, "We see all these people here and they obviously get it and we don't and that's ok. And if we don't come back here, that's ok, too."

Since we've had children, we've toyed with the idea of inviting them again. I keep saying, "If they see the children's reaction, it will make an impression. My wife says, "No! never again!"
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sIrishPAl View Post
    I look at it this way, I am not here to sell these people on Disney. I go to Disney because I work my tail off at work all year long with little to no free time, and save so that my family has the most memorable time possible with no outside distractions. Disney trips represent family time, happiness, and all that is good in the world. .
    YOU GOT IT!
    Mmmmmmmmm Egg roll cart!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately my person is my DH. Don't get me wrong. He took me on my very first trip to WDW after we were married. We went every couple of years for quite awhile. He then said their were more placed he wanted to see. However, his parents love Disney. Now, he just lets me go with others and is just as happy not being there.

Just got back one week ago from trip with MIL and DD for her 11th birthday. What a hoot. We had a fabulous time. We also planned out next trip while there. Informed my DH of the trip. He just asked if he had to go and i said no and he said that's cool with him.

I would go as may times as I could he would be happy if he never has to go again.
    WORK TO PAY FOR DISNEY
    2020 June SOG
    2017 MNSSHP POP
    2014 August Shades of Green
    2012 August POP
    2008 September POP
    2007 April Shades of Green
    2004 April Shades of Green
    2001 March Shades of Green
    1998 December Shades of Green
    1995 March off site

Post Thanks / Like

We hear it all the time too. My coworkers all around my age (mid 20's) cannot understand why we wouldn't rather go to cancun or a cruise.
    They just don't get it.
    Big problem is when a boyfriend says they wouldn't want to go there, it's overpriced, waste of money, childish - it's a deal breaker! No joke.
    Nobody is "too cool" for WDW
    Caribbean beach...were jammin'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luv4WDW View Post
    Does anybody else get annoyed by people who don't "get" Disney? Since we're leaving in 5 days and I've been non-stop talking about my trip I've experienced this more and more. It actually frustrates me! The endless questions of, "Why do you keep going? What is there to do? You go without KIDS!?" Anybody else get annoyed by this?!!?!
    Oh, Yes. Quite often. That is why I love to get on Intercot and not feel like an outcast. I can just imagine what some will say when we tell them we are moving to Florida next September just so we can be right in the middle of the Disney magic. My husband and I are 63 and 64 years old, and we look forward to this adventure,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnine View Post
    Oh, Yes. Quite often. That is why I love to get on Intercot and not feel like an outcast. I can just imagine what some will say when we tell them we are moving to Florida next September just so we can be right in the middle of the Disney magic. My husband and I are 63 and 64 years old, and we look forward to this adventure,
    Good for you!!! Live that dream!
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnine View Post
    That's awesome! My wife and I are only 41, but we already fantasize about moving to Florida when we retire so we can be "in the middle of the Disney magic". Hope you and your husband thouroughly enjoy your grand adventure!!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I are 50 and 54 and we love going! We don't listen to any negatives....usually....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Default People Who Don't Understand!

I absolutley hate that many people really don't understand what Disney is really all about. My ultimate pet peev is when people who have never been there before talk bad about it. First of all who are you and don't judge until you go like really! It really does irritate me and frusturates me and actually makes me very upset when I hear that people are bashing such a wonderful place!

Post Thanks / Like

I run across this but it doesn't really annoy me. Everyone has vacation preferences--my siblings like to go on cruises, which is really not my style. If they say anything about my Disney trips, I just remind them of this and they understand a little better. And it is true that a lot of people who have just had a "taste" of Disney World or Disneyland don't understand the full scope of what there is to do or see, and they probably never will. That's not going to stop me from talking about it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I also find who I can talk to about Disney and who is just simply tolerating my enthusiasm with veiled politeness.

I wish everyone loved Disney as much as we do but... can you imagine it any MORE crowded?

I don't judge someone else's vacation choices and I hope they don't judge mine!! If I sense that they are.... then time to change the subject...or the friends.
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really talk about it anymore. People who know me, know we love Disney and have DVC. So most of the time that is where we are visiting. When I get back to work usually I am asked did you go to Disney again and that is about it. I just say we had a nice time...and enjoy the memories with my family. I think most people really don't want to hear every detail of another person's vacation for many reasons. LOL that's why I come here- if you feel like sharing you can and you aren't judged.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

First time poster, long time voyeur lol.

my boyfriend is a Disney "nay-sayer"
    im taking our daughter (soon to be 6 and her first time) and my other daughter (13 and her 2nd trip) from a previous relationship this november. He doesnt want any part of it and thinks its a waste of money.

he just doesnt know what its like to have a fun family vacation and i say - see ya later and you're missing out!
    Last edited by brie9877; 08-28-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: adding info
    WDW November 7, 1989 - off site
    WDW November 2002 - off site
    WDW November 4-12, 2012 - AOA
    WDW November 8-16, 2017 - AOA
    WDW December 3-10, 2020 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have been going to Disney before we met and we still go to this day. There is just something magical about Disney that becomes a part of your soul in a way.

Every time, we start to plan a new trip we always get the nay sayers saying why are you going to Disney you dont have any kids? They feel that going to Disney is about bringing your kids down there and since we dont have any we dont really belong. These people clearly have the wrong idea of what Disney is all about.

My answer has always been, why do I need kids when I am young at heart. And we have more fun then you will ever have cause we can do what we want, when we want too and enjoy everything just the two of us. Theres no limitations. You dont needs kids to have a good time at disney.

You just need to believe in something magical and never grow up.
    Brer_Fox

Disney Trips
    1988-2000 - 3 Trips Off Property

Oct 2005 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon)
    Oct/Nov2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    Oct/Nov2008 - Wilderness Lodge/ Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct/Nov 2012 - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

yes, we have dealt with more than a few folks who don't get the Disney thing, but it really doesn't bother us...seeing as how there are than a few places we have visited that lots of folks like to go on a regular basis that I don't get either....Las Vegas and New Orleans both come to mind...there are plenty of folks who love both cities and travel there with frequency, but they simply don't appeal to me. When I deal with folks who don't do get disney, I don't try to convert them to the cause, but instead take comfort in the fact that I won't ever have to stand behind them in line for Toy Story Mania.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot, I get annoyed with my friend who thinks Disneyland is better than WDW. He's been to both several times and prefers Disneyland. That annoys me.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: