Quantcast What is the draw of Epcot?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the draw of Epcot?

I am just wondering what makes Epcot such a popular park on the discussion boards. We are going in November for a short time and Epcot seems like the park we will spend the leaast amount of time at. Test track will be closed, Mission Space makes me sick, we have Soaring over in Disneyland so I have done that plenty of times, will take a quick walk through the living seas and than head over to walk through the countries. But we have road the ride in Mexico and Norway and never had a strong interest in the movies.

I am trying to figure out what I am missing. That I should do that I haven't.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's okay if you don't have Epcot at the top of your list, people love many different things at WDW for different reasons. Personally, I love Epcot because it's one of the most unique places I've been to and I love the ideas it represents!

I majored in the sciences in college so I'm drawn to the pavilions of Future World and the themes they represent. I love both the entertainment of them and the things they teach; I've found this especially apparent in the Universe of Energy and Living with the Land.

I love World Showcase because (1) it's probably the closest I'll get to traveling abroad in a while and (2) just the whole idea in general I love just exploring, looking in the shops, eating the food, and talking with the CMs. I don't feel the hustle and bustle of the other parks when I'm in the WS and find it very relaxing.

Those are just a couple of the many reasons I love Epcot! Have a great trip!!
    Jason aka EpcotFan182
    DVC Member
    "If You Can Dream It, You Can Do It"

Coronado Springs: '99
    Boardwalk Villas: '02, '04, '06, '15
    Grand Floridian: '03
    Villas @ Wilderness Lodge: '05, '07
    Bay Lake Tower: '10, '13
    Polynesian: '11
    Villas @ Grand Floridian: '14, '16

Post Thanks / Like

It's a matter of personal taste, I think. I could happily spend days in World Showcase. I love sampling the food and drink, and spending time catching the vibe of each country, people-watching, taking in the shows and performance events in each country. I also love Future World, even just walking around and taking it all in. If you don't get the appeal and you're more attraction-oriented, that's cool. Some of us love different things.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

While Epcot is one of my family's favorite parks, I can see why it might not appeal to everyone. The nice thing about WDW is that there is so much variety, so the chance of finding something that you love is pretty high.

As for us... My husband and I are both engineers, and I also studied architecture in college. I have spent hours taking photos in the World Showcase. Sampling foods around the WS is one of the first ways that we've been able to introduce the concept of other countries to our son.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

We went twice with two other families and neither of them had an interest in Epcot. But for us, our family LOVES it! We could ride SSE many times and see new things we haven't seen before. We love the fountain, the countries, our kids are looking forward to trying out the new Agent P game. Our kids also love Kidcot and seeing the greenhouse at the Land.

Again, as said before me, it is just personal interests. We usually bypass AK all together when we go, but others would find that crazy.
    07/95 FW
    12/96 Off Prop
    11/97 CBR
    12/98 ASM
    12/01 ASMo
    11/03 Off Prop
    12/04 ASMo
    12/07 ASSp, Pop
    12/09 ASM
    09/10 FW, SSR
    11/11 SSR
    02/12 POR
    05/12 OKW
    01/13 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of like it as it seems that of all the parks it is the most laid back.

By that I mean you can move from attaction to attraction, or you can find a nice bench and just watch the people go by.

My lady friend and I enjoy getting a light snack and sitting in the shade and take in the sites of the World Show Case, Future World, and the lake.

We go there almost everyday and we have most of our ADR's there also.

22 days and counting, hope this helps explain..
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I think Epcot, WS specifically, is a place you either "get" or you don't. My kids are 10 and 12 and Epcot is my 12 year old's favorite park,and my 10 year old's second favorite park. I have lots of friends whose kids think Epcot is boring.

They love so much about Epcot. Of course we love Soarin, TT, MS, and SSE. My kids also love Club Cool (as simple an attraction as it seems). My oldest could spend hours in Innoventions and the exit area of SSE. He loves all those interactive games. We even enjoy watching the fountains dance to the music.

WS is one of our favorite places in WDW. We love wandering and exploring all the countries. The kids really enjoy the interactive game. It used to be Kim Possible, now it's Agent P. We try to "eat around the world" at least once on each trip. Instead of sitting at one location for a full meal, we hop from country to country sharing small snacks or meals. This makes visiting the countries even more interesting. We also enjoy all the movies, but I get that not everyone is into that.

You may not be missing anything. It just may not be the park for you. That's the great thing about WDW, there is something for everyone.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

EPCOT is totally a required taste! If you're not into the whole learning/science part of Disney, and the countries aren't up you're alley, then this is definitely not the park for you. I'm a nerd, and therefore EPCOT is my favorite park, but many people could take it or leave it!

And many people will probably completely disagree, but Journey Into Imagination with Figment is one of my favorites. I know it's changed a lot over the years, but that purple dragon gets me every time! Also, Spaceship Earth is a staple, and it's always the first ride my family does at Disney! These, along with ALL of World Showcase, are enough to ensure that I keep coming back!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

My fiance and I love EPCOT. I can see how it's not for everyone. But like everyone said I feel that one of the biggest appeals of EPCOT is World Showcase. Eating and drinking in what you are told is food close to the cultures' home cooking is a cool experience. The shows are incredible... EPCOT is a great park, much like Animal Kingdom, to take your time and enjoy slowly. You can find so many hidden things like the aforementioned Club Cool (one of my favorites). I think that EPCOT gets a bad wrap for all the and and but it's so much more than that. I enjoyed the Living With The Land ride so much more than I thought I would, it's definitely a park to give a try when you're looking for a more relaxing Disney Day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRay View Post
    We love the fountain, the countries, our kids are looking forward to trying out the new Agent P game.
    What's the Agent P game?
    ~Jen, Jon, Collin, & Brady~

Owners in BLT!!

Next trip: BCV in February 2019!

So many great trips!!
    Off-site the first trips
    Disney Villas(way back!)
    CBR
    AS Mu/Mo/Sp
    CSR
    POR x2
    AKL/BW
    BLT
    BWV
    Poly DVC

1363 miles from WDW - too far!! :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Engineer here too and I'm sure that's a big part of the reason I've always enjoyed Future World. The technology, the educational aspect, though some of that is a bit watered compared to 20 years ago. Also as mentioned it's nice to grab a drink and just sit in some of the countries and view their shows or performers.

Post Thanks / Like

I love all the details of Epcot. World Showcase is one of my favorite places just to wander. All the details, both in and outside of all the pavilions are endlessly fascinating to me.

I also love all of the food options...mmm now I'm hungry!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for you: have you ever stayed to view Illuminations at the end of the day? Some of my friends who don't like Epcot told me they've never seen Illuminations. To me, it really ties the whole park together somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I love all the details of Epcot. World Showcase is one of my favorite places just to wander. All the details, both in and outside of all the pavilions are endlessly fascinating to me.

I also love all of the food options...mmm now I'm hungry!
    You hit it perfect, Dopey'sGirl! I like to wander through perfect replicas of international places, and then stop to take in some international entertainment - if I have time and if I want. It's the perfect stroll.

And the food there is exceptional. I love all the different things I can try.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I suspect for some who love Epcot it's more that they love what Epcot used to be as much as it is they love what's there now.

I enjoy the overall atmosphere of Epcot more than any other park ... even MK. For some reason the landscaping, the architecture, the background music, the fountains ... it all comes together for me. I honestly could spend an entire trip just wandering around Epcot, people watching, and soaking up the atmosphere and that would be enough for me.

But the truth is, from an attractions standpoint, it's really gone downhill. Future World is a bare shadow of what it once was and WS has never really had that many attractions to begin with. Although I personally love Impressions De France, American Adventure, and any time spent in the post-show area of the Maelstrom shopping in the Helly Hansen store.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We love Epcot for many reasons. We love The Seas, the girls are fascinated by all the life in those aquariums. One of my favorite things to do is the Living with the Land ride. It's amazing and I love seeing the Mickey shaped produce. The girls always have a blast at Innoventions and love the Figment ride. The fountains are beautiful and really have that Disney magic. We do enjoy the rides there, but not as much as the atmosphere. Walking the World Showcase is peaceful and beautiful. And Illuminations is a wonderful ending to it all!

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    We try to "eat around the world" at least once on each trip. Instead of sitting at one location for a full meal, we hop from country to country sharing small snacks or meals. This makes visiting the countries even more interesting.
    I love this idea! We're going to try this next time. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

What I love first and foremost about Epcot is the dining. One of the first things I start thinking about when I plan a trip is which World Showcase restaurants at which I will make ADRs!

I also like exploring World Showcase in general, and seeing all of the entertainment.

Future World can really use some revamped attractions, but I love Spaceship Earth, the Land, Living Seas, Test Track, and Mission Space Pavilions. Imagination and Energy Adventure could probably be updated, and something could be done with Wonders of Life. I have no interest in anything that goes on inside Innoventions.

Overall, I think the food is the main attraction at Epcot.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the older people will understand this acronym: Every Person Comes Out Tired. This is what my group of friends called it when we grew up going there. Epcot is different things to different people. I think there are 2 types: people either love it or hate it.

I can do it in about a day and that is about all I can take. It is fun and my DD will try doing Agent P to make it more enjoyable. Character ops are her favorite thing there. You can see some characters there that you won't see any where else. The only one I can think of is Mushu and the kitten in France (forgot the name).
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are 8 and 5 and Epcot is their favourite park. Why? I don't know, they can't really articulate it. For them it's just magical.

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot is my fav.
    the countries, which i wont get to see in real life,, which u cant do in MK. diff attractions, not just dark rides, hub and spoke..its more open, not as many kids. Fantasyland is always so crowded that i cant get on t few rides i want to.
    true it needs more, and isnt always kept up. but represents a global melting pot. well it didnt end up as Walt originally envisioned, it still has some of that.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM