Quantcast Whether or not to stay longer (no, I'm serious ;-)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whether or not to stay longer (no, I'm serious ;-)

We're going Sept. 15-27, which means flying back on a Thursday. We're back at work on Monday. We've got 10 days a Carribean, and the last 2 at Animal Kingdom Lodge. A Saturdays only seat sale got me thinking about staying an extra two days...although that is just an excuse because they $200 I save makes no sense at all if I stay 2 days longer. BUT....there it is. So I have two concerns - one is, how long is too long? We have 10 day park hopper tickets, and we are going "off site" 3 days (not to mention a day or two just to do waterparks and DTD) so we have enough tickets to last the extra days - but does it stop feeling "special" after a while? and is getting back on a Saturday and having only one day off unrealistic? (Oh - one other "perk" with this. The flights every other day of the week require a connection, and with me coming all the way from Alberta - and living 3 hours from the airport, to boot- it makes for a LOONNNGGG day. The Saturday flights are direct from Orlando to Calgary, so it makes for a much less intense travel day).

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for more days in WDW, or really anywhere on vacation for that matter. That said, I don't know if I'd maybe rather get home and have a few days off before returning to work. The longest we've been in WDW was for 11 nights and by the time we left I was feeling like it was past time to go home. For my DH it was way too long!!!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I've been for 2 weeks before but it's been a while since we've done that. I've also gotten home on Saturday and returned to work on Monday. Frankly, having one day off before going back to work is much better than returning to work the day after you get home! The direct flight is a big deal - changing planes is such a pain!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We just extended our trip an extra night, paid more for airfare & 1 extra nite at the WL! Actually a bonus for us, spending 4 nights overlooking the Gulf of Mexico & 3 nights at WDW! If you have the extra tickets I would book it-you can't have too much vacation! Plus it sounds like your trip home will be more relaxing for you. The last thing you want to do after a nice vacation is get yourself aggravated on the trip home.
    1987-off site (Honeymoon)
    1992-off site (5/3 yr. old)
    1995/97/99 FW
    2000-WL
    2001/02/03 -FW
    2005-FW
    2008-FW(still camping w/the kids)
    2009-WL (No Kids!)
    2011-WL
    2012-WL (25th Anniv)
    2015-POFQ
    2017-30th Anniv trip w/kids & grandkids! MK for a day!
    2018-FW in OCT! (camping with MOOSE)

Post Thanks / Like

The longest we've done is an 11 night stay, and we were soooo ready to go home. We just finished a 9 night stay, with 3 days spent offsite, and I've gotta say, even that felt like too long. I think 7 days is perfect for our family. It got to the point we'd done all we wanted to do, and we were just going thru the motions. I always fall in the trap of when I'm planning wanting as many days as possible. But once I get there, I realize maybe that wasnt such a great idea. The first few days are magical, the last ones not so much. As for days off before returning to work, I'm going back tomorrow, had 2 days off after our 9 night stay, and it's KILLING me haha. I think its also individual to your family. Are there young ones? Just you and hubby? Teens? I might could do 2 weeks with hubby, but no way our family of 4 (kids 13 and 11) could put up with each other that long without some space. We'd be ready to throttle Mickey, and each other
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Default whether to stay longer

We just returned a week ago after a 2 week stay and believe it or not it got to be boring. I actually got tired of going to the pool and the parks every day.

We are real Disney fans and DVC members who visit 3 or 4 times a year. The weather was beautiful but I think 9 or 10 days is enough.

We used to take the last flight home but this time we left after breakfast and it was nice getting home in the daylight and not be too tired.

Post Thanks / Like

Our visit last November was 8 nights at POP and that was too long at a Value. Usually we stay at a value for 2-3 nights and then 5-7 at WL. However, the really weird thing was that the people in the room next to us had been there for over a month. They had tomatoes ripening in their window (as opposed to balloons or towel animals) and they even had their dog in the room as well (not a seeing eye dog, a little lap dog). When we would walk by their room and the curtain was open, my daughter said it looked like a Disney hoarder. I think they were overdoing it just a little.
    Have a wonderful time whatever you decide.

Post Thanks / Like

You can never have too long a holiday!
    Three of my trips to WDW/orlando have been for three weeks, and we always go for at least two weeks. But this has to do with the fact that it's not worth travelling for less time from the UK - you have to make it worth the long flight
    We certainly didn't get bored or felt like we wanted to go home. It also felt like we didn't need to rush around to cram everything in - there is always so much to see and do.
    Having a day or so at home before going back to work to sort out laundry and stuff is slightly better than not. Back on a Saturday, work on Monday - fine by me!
    Jo

Next trip Sept 2014 - POFQ
    Oct 2011 - POFQ
    Oct 2009 - POFQ
    April 2008 - off site
    Nov 2006 - CBR
    March 2005 - Disneyland Paris
    Oct 2004 - AKL
    April 2003 - off site
    Dec 1997 - off site
    June 1995 - Disney California

Post Thanks / Like

Our vacations to Orlando are always 10 days. That is perfect for us, but we do other things besides just Disney, so we don't get bored. If we were doing strickly Disney I wouldn't stay for more than 7 days.

As for your question, I would leave your plans as they are. Having extra time before returning to work is nice, plus to change your airfare will probably cost you some $$$$.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Basically, the question seems to be is the perk of the non-stop flight home worth the possibility of Disney overload.

Given that it is not so easy for you to get to Disney, I'd say go for the non-stop flight. It's only two more days.

And you get to use more of your 10-day ticket.

You might get tired of Florida but you are not doing Disney only for the entire time you're in Florida. You will have those off site days as well.

Look at it this way, if (big if) Disney has stopped feeling special, you will not be so sad to be going home, all the way home to Alberta. It's much worse to be leaving before you're ready to go home, especially when it's not so easy to get back.

We routinely do one day off before going back to work. But then we don't have quite the travel time that you do, altho I understand, as we are 4 hours from the airport to fly to Florida (there is an airport 3 hours away but the flights there are more expensive). Coming from Missouri, there usually is a non-stop flight daily and the flight is much shorter than from Calgary!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, as usual you people are no help at all, because the many different opinions all express PART of what I'm feeling ;-) I think I'll go with THIS answer, though. Because it is so hard to get to Orlando, and very expensive too, I never know if this trip might be our last. My daughters are 13 adn 19 now, so the possibility of us all going together is pretty remote. Bottom line...even if I do end up being "bored", I think I'd still rather be bored in Florida than in Alberta, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    Basically, the question seems to be is the perk of the non-stop flight home worth the possibility of Disney overload.

Given that it is not so easy for you to get to Disney, I'd say go for the non-stop flight. It's only two more days.

And you get to use more of your 10-day ticket.

You might get tired of Florida but you are not doing Disney only for the entire time you're in Florida. You will have those off site days as well.

Look at it this way, if (big if) Disney has stopped feeling special, you will not be so sad to be going home, all the way home to Alberta. It's much worse to be leaving before you're ready to go home, especially when it's not so easy to get back.

We routinely do one day off before going back to work. But then we don't have quite the travel time that you do, altho I understand, as we are 4 hours from the airport to fly to Florida (there is an airport 3 hours away but the flights there are more expensive). Coming from Missouri, there usually is a non-stop flight daily and the flight is much shorter than from Calgary!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I would say stay. You will have the luxury of knowing you have the extra time, which helps to prevent you from feeling like you have to rush around. You are more relaxed with more of a feeling that you can get things done in your own time. Take more breaks, enjoy your resort, enjoy other resorts. Schedule some downtime for smack dab in the middle of the trip, and you will feel so refreshed and ready to finish your time, and even a little sad when it's time to leave. Relax, enjoy, and bonus with a non-stop flight home. I think it's the best possible scenario.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

From one Canuck to another, I think your should go for the extra days! We always for 10 days or so and have a great time the whole time. The luxury of a longer trip is sleeping in (if kids will let you), more time at the pool, not being crazy rushing everywhere, and just having a less stressed vacation overall. Also, if you get to a park and it is nuts you can leave and come back another day without the guilt. So much better!!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

My vote would be to stay the extra days if you can. Our last trip was 8 days and we were wishing we had booked longer.
    We actually slowed down our pace this trip, and it was great! One of our best trips ever! All the kids wanted to do, (5 and 7 years old), was swim, so we slept in late and came back from the parks early, and just relaxed and took time to enjoy the resort. Again, one of our best trips ever, and I think it was because of the slower pace, but come time to leave, we definately werent ready to go home.
    Whatever you decide, have fun!
    Last edited by gratuspater; 02-17-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: misspell

Post Thanks / Like

Every trip we take, we are always wishing we had "just one more day" at the world. It doesn't matter how long of a stay we take. Even if we do get tired after the 5th or 6th day of walking around the parks, or standing in lines - the atmosphere at WDW, just sitting by the pool, is enough to keep me relaxed and happy. WDW is the only place I have found that I truly feel is heaven on earth.
    "por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas!"

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day!"

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is to stay the extra days! This past August we stayed at Disney for 2 weeks (there are 6 of us) and I was so sad when it was time to leave. We lead such busy lives at home with work, school, sports, etc. that our vacation time is really the only big chunk of time that we all get to spend together. I cherish that time and could never get bored by Disney or that quality time with my family.

Post Thanks / Like

I go for 2 weeks now. It just keeps creeping up.
    My family was ready to leave at 12 days though.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, when DH and I went 9 days in 2008 it did seem like a 'long' trip. By the end of it, we were exhausted. However we only went to the water park once for a short time and we did not take any days off b/c we stayed on site the whole time. If you are planning on changing things up by going somewhere else, going off site and going to a different hotel then you'll be fine! I would go back for that many days if I could b/c you have the best excuse to just take it easy. With our last trip I felt so rushed b/c our family had never been and they were kinda... slower than us and I don't think they realized how much there really was to see. We were there 7 days with an 'off' day in the middle.. but DHA and I ended up waking up really early that day with DS (5 am) and we just decided to go to the parks by our selves without everyone and it was the BEST day that we had there alone. You HAVE to take it easy though or you are going to have blisters on your feet and wear yourself out
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

What's the worst that happens... you try it... realize it was too long... and say you won't do that long again. If you don't give it a try, you'll be wondering if you missed a golden opportunity!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: