Quantcast Is POR right for us?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is POR right for us?

I am about to book rooms at POR. By "about to" I mean that I have almost decided on that resort. Please give me your opinions on it for the following people:

A middle aged couple with mobility issues (using a walking aid)

A three year old

A young, newly married couple

College aged kids

If there is another resort you would recommend for this set of people (I would like for us to all be at the same resort), I'm all ears.

And if you have a recommendation as to what area to request for the person with mobility issues, please share. We have only stayed at ALK before, but can't this year.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From the map - it looks like PO- Riverside is quite large and requires walking a distance to the food court from even the preferred buildings...

PO- French Quarter looks smaller, with a simelar feel...

This is just my perspective from my own research on the POR. My family will be staying there for the first time in August.

The only other on-property resort we stayed at was All Star Sports 14 years ago...it was a lot of fun and if you stayed in the buildings closest to the main pool and food court the walk wasn't very far.
    Colleen McD
    The Disney Dream Begins August 2012

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Colleen on this one....with mobility issues - I'd look at POFQ.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Although POFQ is much smaller, and would be great for the mobility issues, it might also be better for the rest of your group, as the pool is also better for smaller kids (slide is smaller).

But, we stayed at POR on our honeymoon and loved it. We loved the winding paths, the almost-deserted quiet pools and the excellent food court. We felt like we were the only people around, it was wonderfully romantic.

We spent much more time at the quiet pool (which was really located about a two minute walk from the room, and has laundry), and (since we were close to the main building), it was easy to slip over for drink refills or to catch the bus.

POR has a large main pool, with a kids wading pool and many more activities (like fishing) and a food court that just can't be beat ... lots of selection!

So, if you book POR, I would look at a preferred room on the main floor, so you're closer to the main building and the main pool. But, it is a great resort and as long as you're close for the mobility issues, I really do think you'll love it.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

POR is wonderful for any age group! Ask for the Alligator Bayou...bldgs 14, 15 or 18. They are very close to the main building and shouldn't be a problem for anyone. The quiet pools are very nice and the main pool is great for little ones. The food court is one of the best at any of the resorts. There is also a boat that you can take to Downtown Disney, which is a nice extra! In the Roost lounge, there is a wonderful performer that is awesome for the whole family. The atmosphere here is just amazing and you feel so relaxed!
    (Can you tell this is our fav resort?) lol

No worries about this resort....it's wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

We love it there and are going back in April this year for our third visit. The kids love it. The Grand Parents loved it and the parents loved it.

My sister has mobility issues. She walks with a cane. We rent a wheel chair at the resort for the entire stay. Although we have been told this is a first come first served type thing we haven't had an issue here.

The grounds are peaceful and there is truly something for everyone there. We have always stayed in the mansions. The walk never seemed to far to either the main building or the buses.

We would highly recommend this resort.
    DLR many times,April '05 Pop Century,April '08 POR,DLR April '09,CBR Dec '09,POR Sept '10,April '12 Universal's RPRH then Disney's POR,Feb '14 AKL,DLR July '15,APR '17 POR, JAN '18 DCL, JUL '18 ASMu,DEC '18 "NYE" AoA-Nemo,FEB '20 AoA-LK
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd go with POFQ, simply for the smaller size and close proximity to everything. There is nothing that is far away. POR is a beautiful resort, and if you stay close to the main hall, it would be great, but if you want to go anywhere else on property, it's a heck of a walk. Everything is close by at POFQ.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Port Orleans

My wife and i just spent a long week end. I just had surgery and wanted to be close to everything. It was awesome. We were placed in Room 9536 at Parterre Place. Literally a 30 second walk to the quiet pool. Just over the bridge from everything, right on the waterway. This king bed room was perfect. Boatwright's was very good and I think this hotel has the best food court than any other, even a carving station. Boats to DTD, POFQ is nice too but not as nice as Riverside. We have stayed at every WDW hotel at least twice and for a moderate it is for sure the best we've stayed at. Don't let the size of this resort scare you.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

I'd lean towards Port Orleans French Quarter, too.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I'd lean towards Port Orleans French Quarter, We satyed at Riverside and it could be a very long walk. The rooms listed above may now be preferred rooms which cost extra. Also I believe the pool and the playland is kind of on an island and you'll have to cross a bridge to get there. What I'd recommend it using Magical Journeys, explain to them who's going and have them set it up for you. They are very good and it costs you nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaJ91 View Post
    POR is wonderful for any age group! Ask for the Alligator Bayou...bldgs 14, 15 or 18. They are very close to the main building and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Keep in mind that those buildings are now known as "preferred location" buildings and cost a little more. POR is our FAVORITE we and have always gotten a buliding close to the main building. This is the first year we are going that it's going to cost extra now. Oh well, we love the preferred location buildings because getting a late night snack or drinks is nice and close and we don't mind letting the kids go alone (well, together alone......if that makes sense)
    77-85:Day Trips at Easter
    88:Fort Wilderness
    91:Swan(Honeymoon)
    99:Wilderness Lodge
    00:Caribbean Beach
    02:POR
    03:Coronado Springs/Polynesian
    04:POR/Polynesian
    06:POR
    07:POR
    08:POR
    09:Polynesian

12:POR
    14:POR

Post Thanks / Like

What are the mobility issues? We stayed in the mansions, and it was not a very long walk to the main building and bus stop, but there was also a bus stop right out the back side of our building. We stayed at Magnolia Terrace.
    I think POR would be very romantic for the couple. When I went with my boyfriend I loved meandering through the resort looking at all the greenery.
    The college aged group and the three year old would probably be happy anywhere. lol
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaJ91 View Post
    POR is wonderful for any age group! Ask for the Alligator Bayou...bldgs 14, 15 or 18. They are very close to the main building and shouldn't be a problem for anyone. The quiet pools are very nice and the main pool is great for little ones. The food court is one of the best at any of the resorts. There is also a boat that you can take to Downtown Disney, which is a nice extra! In the Roost lounge, there is a wonderful performer that is awesome for the whole family. The atmosphere here is just amazing and you feel so relaxed!
    (Can you tell this is our fav resort?) lol

Ditto!

Also, the mansions aren't really all that far from the main building either. We used to think that, but they're really quite close.

Another great thing is that POR (and FQ) are very central to all the parks.
    Dec '88 - off site
    Dec '91 - off site
    Mar '93 - off site
    Dec '94 - Dixie Landings
    Dec '96 - All Star Sports
    Mar '98 - Dixie Landings
    Dec '01 - Dixie Landings
    May '04 - PORS
    May '06 - PORS
    Nov '08 - PORS
    Nov '10 - PORS
    Nov '12 - PORS
    Nov '14 - PORS
    Nov '16 - PORS

Post Thanks / Like

Having stayed at both POR and POFQ I'd definitely recommend FQ for your group. What I loved about the resort is that it's so small, compact, and charming.

It's the perfect resort for anyone with mobility issues. The walk from any room on property to either the pool, restaurant, or bus stop is a shorter walk than any other resort we've stayed at.

I also feel this resort has the perfect pool area for a 3 year old. The slide is visually wonderful, yet its not a huge, fast slide, perfect for the smaller guests.

It's very romantic and charming, great for the newlyweds.

There is also a great pool bar that the college set might enjoy.

I can't think of a single reason your group wouldn't love POFQ!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are good at POR, but ask for a "preferred" location for the couple that doesn't want to walk far. I think POFQ is great for young families, but the pool and other entertainment opportunities at POR are better for adults (including the college age kids). To me it is just more "grown up" - and it has a table service restaurant on site, which POFQ doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I would get the terrific responses I needed. Thanks everyone!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: