Quantcast Who else is stuck in the "heat dome"?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Who else is stuck in the "heat dome"?

After watching the "Today" show this morning and listening to Al Roker talk about how many states are stuck in the current "heat dome" across the country, I was just curious as to how many of my fellow Intercotees were dealing with this horrible heat? I'm near St. Louis in Southern Illinois and we have had an extreme heat warning in place since last week. It's getting really old! The temperatures have been 100 or higher this week with heat indexes getting up to about 115! It's not supposed to break until Sunday, so we'll have dangerously high temps for at least 3 more days...although this morning the local news station said it might be extended into next week.

I'm soooo incredibly grateful that I have an office job in the air conditioning, but I'm worried for all those people who have to work outside in this heat! We've already had several deaths in our area, mostly elderly people who either don't have air conditioning or won't turn it on in their homes. There have also been several reports of kids and pets being found left in cars in parking lots and whatnot with just the windows cracked. That's so dangerous!

Anyway, for anyone who's stuck in this like we are here, stay cool and stay safe!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We're in the middle of the worst heat and drought for many years. We can only water 2 days a week. We have lived in Midland for 16 years and it has never been this bad!
    Claudie

Disney Dream Cruise October 2011
    Grand Californian 2010
    Saratoga Springs/3 day Bahama Cruise 2009
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 2008 (DVC)
    POR August 2007
    CBR January 1991
    WDW offsite 1987
    Disneyland 2 times

Post Thanks / Like

Western North Carolina here and the heat is just beginning to creep in .

My Husky is dying to go play outside and is not happy to be limited to ten minute pee breaks. Here's to hoping it breaks soon...
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

We are just beginning to get the heat here in New England... Yesterday 92 felt like 99 today 98 with heat indexes of 104 and tomorrow like 105. I praise the man who invented a/c... I have myself a good book, water, and the a/c cranking.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you! I'm stuck in this heat in Illinois, near Quincy. My Jack Russell will only go out for about 3 minutes ad won't go unless I go with her! I'm tired of staying in and keeping the curtains closed to stay cool, but I sure don't want what we had 6 months ago!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Jersey, near Philadelphia, and tomorrows high is supposed to be 102, heat index of almost 110 record breaking heat for the past few days.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes<3 (:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in CT and the heat/humidity is really creeping in now. Just had my first crisis though - our neighborhood lost power this morning. Thankfully it was only out for about two hours, but if it had gone on longer, I'd be leaving work now and taking a street full of seniors to the movies for the day. Or maybe back to the office with me. Have to keep an eye on the elderly in my neighborhood. Keep cool and safe everyone!
    Next Trip: 2019-Yacht Club
    Resorts Stayed At Since 1994
    :
    Yacht Club (9 times)
    Beach Club (10 times)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge (1 time)
    Caribbean Beach (3 times)
    Dixie Landings (1 time)
    Contemporary Resort (1 time)

1987 Disney Music Days-Marched in EPCOT!!

Post Thanks / Like

its just about noon and its only 98-degrees (cue jokes about that awful boy band)... No big deal.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
    I'm with you! I'm stuck in this heat in Illinois, near Quincy. My Jack Russell will only go out for about 3 minutes ad won't go unless I go with her! I'm tired of staying in and keeping the curtains closed to stay cool, but I sure don't want what we had 6 months ago!
    I have a 13-year-old Shih Tzu who is not happy about the heat, either! He's pretty heat-sensitive in normal summer weather, and he's having a tough time with this extreme heat, poor little guy. He's in and out as quickly as he can be!

I'm going on a camping trip this weekend and I'm kind of dreading it...thankfully we'll be in an air conditioned camper, but the whole point of a camping trip is to be outside, swimming, riding bikes, fishing, or even just relaxing! I'm not sure how much of that we'll be able to do in 100+ degree temperatures! What's really driving me crazy, though, is that I keep checking Strmchsr's WDW weather forecast and it's been cooler in Orlando than Illinois! If I'm gonna be hot and sweaty, I'd rather be hot and sweaty in WDW!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I'm just outside Orlando, and it's only 88* here at the moment. Weird weather patterns.

I blame the

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just south of Boston and it's about 87 degrees. It's not too bad yet. The dew points keep rising and I guess the next two days will be very nasty.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hot in Missouri? It's not hot its D---ed hot.

I don't know about you but I can't wait until my 44 day wait is over so I can be back in cool WDW again.
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Downtown Toronto, and currently it is 98F, or 118F with the humidity. It's been hot like this for days. It is expected to be 125F by the end of the work day.

Our big black doggie loves the heat, and she'll go outside and lie down next to the brick wall to absorb even more of it. We're having to keep a really close eye on her because she's so stealthy, and we don't want to leave her outside for too long!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Alabama we dealt with this late May through most of June. We're hot right now, but just "normal" hot (low to mid 90s), which I realize is still hot, but not what it could be. I feel for those who aren't used to this type of heat and humidity. It can be really dangerous.

Ed, Florida has escaped the worst of the heat all summer so far. There's been a blocking ridge just to the north that has kept the worst of the heat north and west of Florida. Not fair to live near WDW AND not be the hottest most humid place on the planet.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I am! It's 95 now, heat index 107. We're in Northern Virginia.

At least it's a bit overcast, so the house isn't heating up as fast as it could be. Still, though, it's highly uncomfortable outside. Our kids don't understand this whole humidity thing...they are having a hard time with not being able to play outdoors for hours on end like they did back in CA. They are dying to ride their bikes.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

If you saw the Today show this morning we were the top dog. Just anounced noon news that it is 56 days straight for us and today will be 103 nights are high 70's so house doesn't even cool off enough to start a cool morning. We are so hot here and just got our electric bill and the therm is set on 80,,,, it is 486.00.. Just do not know how we can pay this and go to Disney too.. May have to cancel. Elec bills are doubled over.
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping that blocking ridge sticks around until this time next month!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

As Bruce from Australia once said:

"It's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I am! It's 95 now, heat index 107. We're in Northern Virginia.

At least it's a bit overcast, so the house isn't heating up as fast as it could be. Still, though, it's highly uncomfortable outside. Our kids don't understand this whole humidity thing...they are having a hard time with not being able to play outdoors for hours on end like they did back in CA. They are dying to ride their bikes.
    Yep, the humidity's a killer! You walk outside and start sweating and none of it evaporates because it's so humid! I feel like I need a shower after I've been outside for only 5 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by lighteningqueen View Post
    If you saw the Today show this morning we were the top dog. Just anounced noon news that it is 56 days straight for us and today will be 103 nights are high 70's so house doesn't even cool off enough to start a cool morning. We are so hot here and just got our electric bill and the therm is set on 80,,,, it is 486.00.. Just do not know how we can pay this and go to Disney too.. May have to cancel. Elec bills are doubled over.
    Gosh, that's terrible! I'm miserable after just a week...I can't imagine 56 days straight! I hope things cool down for you soon and your electric bill comes down!!
    Laura

Post Thanks / Like

US too we are San Angelo the top one in the US the second city is Midland Texas.. 39 straight days about 2 hours from us where my daughter lives. They use water from San Angelo also and they showed this morning where one of our 2 lakes is nothing but a small pond. Completely dried for drinking water. The other one is so far down they do not know how long it will be before no water to drink from. We cannot water anything and ha e not all summer. If you drive thru this area you would think we are in the dead of winter. Burned up grass no lawns, so we all will have expense if it ever does rain of putting in new lawns trees etc. This is the worst people. Be thankful for what you do get.. We're scared here, to think no water to drink, at there is is so hot to drink out of the faucet.
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: