What time of year might you be thinking about? You have a good chance at getting a good discounted package deal through Disney if you come in the off season. Basically, that would be any time OTHER than summer, spring break (mid march-mid april), and around the major fall and winter holidays. My favorite time to visit the resort is October, followed by early December, then early March. Disney frequently offers "5 for 3 stay and play offers" where you pay for 3 nights and a 3 day park hopper, but get an additional 2+2 free. Also, they do 30% off room only discounts sporadically. Your best bet is to keep watching for the discounts. If you can book at a discount, I'd highly recommend either the Disneyland Hotel (complete refurbishment scheduled to be completed 11/11/11) or the Grand Californian. The Paradise Pier, in my opinion, is not worth the Disney price tag. For significanly less money, I'd choose a Good Neighbor hotel on Harbor close to the park entrance over Paradise Pier, if your finances won't allow for the DLH or GCH. I have to say, though, staying on property has its perks, along with the feeling of being "in the magic 24/7" that you'll miss from staying off property. However, you can WALK to most off property hotels, unlike at WDW, so staying off property at Disneyland is very different than doing so at WDW.