Quantcast Transportation, what to do?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transportation, what to do?

Trying to figure out the best transportation scenario for out Trip in July and looking for opinions. Which way would you handle it? Price is obviously a factor, but convenience is as well. These are the options I can think of. If there are any other suggestions, pros, or cons you can think of I would appreciate it.

Also, if staying onsite using DVC is parking at the 4 parks free? Never used the DVC before.

2 adults, 2 teens (13)
    Staying at Villas at WL (DVC) 7 nights
    Spending 2 Days off site mid-week
    Have full kitchen so want groceries (Milk, cream, butter, eggs, bread)

Option 1:
    -Use DME from MCO to WL.
    -Rent an economy car for 2 days, for offsite days, from Alamo on site at WDW.
    -Use DME back to MCO.
    -DME for DVC $95.00 fee
    -Car rental $120.00 2 days
    -Total = $215.00

Cons:-Take time out from parks mid week to go get rental, and again to return.
    -Still need to figure out grocery shopping
    -Using mass transportation from airport, possibly stopping at other resorts first could be time consuming
    -checking in with large group of people as bus unloads at resort, again time consuming

Option 2:
    -Quicksilver Car Service to and from MCO. Although website says “Airport to WDW Transfer starting at $49.90” actual listed price is $80.00 one way, $120.00 round trip + gratuity = $160.00.
    -Take advantage of 30 min grocery stop from Quicksilver Car service
    -Quicksilver Car Service = $160.00 with gratuity
    -Total = $280.00

Cons:-Take time out from parks mid week to go get rental, and again to return.

Option 3:
    -Rent economy car for entire week, p/u at MCO terminal, drive ourselves to and from MCO ($407.00)
    -have vehicle for off site days, no lost time from parks picking up car mid-week
    -Stop en route to WL from airport for groceries with no time limit
    -Drive and park at WDW parks and not rely on WDW Transportation for remote parks (busses)
    -total = $407.00

Cons:-Cost, cheapest economy car rental is $407.00 from car company I have never heard of (Advantage car rental)

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I throw in another option?

For the grocery shopping, a grocery delivery service would be most cost effective. There are number of places that deliver, such as Garden Grocer and Goodings. You can place your order from home and they will deliver when you arrive.

Then you can rent the onsite car for the days you need it, and yes, parking is free for all resort guests (including DVC).
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - Use a grocery delivery. Also, make sure you are an Alamo Member Insider. They always are having specials. $120 for 2 days for an economy seems a little much. I just booked from Alamo for a 1 day rental for a full size for $45 total. You shouldn't waste too much time picking up from either the Car Care Center or at the Dolphin. It's quick and easy.
    You didn't mention, but are you physically going to be gone for 2 days or just back and forth to your resort? There's always taxi or Mears Shuttle.
    SuzieBell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Numerous trips as a child
    1981 - Grad Nite
    1990 - 1 special day with Mom & Dad
    1991 - Off Site - Honeymoon
    2005 - Pop Century (DS 1st trip)
    2008 - Pop Century

2011 - CBR - Surprise B'day for DS
    2014 - POR - Another Surprise B'day for DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgmnut View Post
    Option 1:
    -Use DME from MCO to WL.
    -Use DME back to MCO.
    -DME for DVC $95.00 fee
    -Total = $215.00
    I'm not sure why you're referring to a fee for Magical Express. There isn't any fee for using Magical Express.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I'm not sure why you're referring to a fee for Magical Express. There isn't any fee for using Magical Express.
    I am looking at my confirmation letter now and it states:

"Note: Magical Express US$95 fee MANDATORY per unit/week; US$95 fee included in rentals. Must RSVP prior to arrival. Fee includes shuttle/bag service from airport."

I must have read it wrong before. From what I am reading, there was a $95 fee but I guess I paid for it already as it is included in rental fee, wheather I use it or not. I am renting via RCI. Realizing the fee is already paid though does make me lean more towards using ME to and from MCO

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieBell View Post
    make sure you are an Alamo Member Insider. They always are having specials. $120 for 2 days for an economy seems a little much. I just booked from Alamo for a 1 day rental for a full size for $45 total. You shouldn't waste too much time picking up from either the Car Care Center or at the Dolphin. It's quick and easy.
    You didn't mention, but are you physically going to be gone for 2 days or just back and forth to your resort? There's always taxi or Mears Shuttle.
    Thanks, I will look into the Alamo Member insider and see if I can save a few $$. We are going back and forth on the 2 off site days but we would want the freedom of coming and going with our own vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    Can I throw in another option?

For the grocery shopping, a grocery delivery service would be most cost effective. There are number of places that deliver, such as Garden Grocer and Goodings. You can place your order from home and they will deliver when you arrive.

Then you can rent the onsite car for the days you need it, and yes, parking is free for all resort guests (including DVC).
    Is there a link somewhere to some of the grocery delivery services?

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgmnut View Post
    Is there a link somewhere to some of the grocery delivery services?
    There are several grocery delivery services in the area including Gooding's, Garden Grocer, and Wegoshop.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I used Tiffany Towncars from/to the airport a year and half ago or so...it was about $90 for both legs, and included a stop at a Publix on the way from the airport (you just have to let them know you want to stop when you make your reservation...service was great, door-to-door, very, very fast...we decided the reviews on how fast the DME would get us to the resort were worth the extra money, and it was extremely convenient...I'd highly recommend...
    B.S. Arch, UM TCAUP '03

"When you're sitting on a hot cinder, a second seems like an hour, but when you're courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. That's relativity."

-Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Anything to me is better than riding on WDW buses. Also, getting between places in the resort is much easier when one has their own car.

Post Thanks / Like

Because you mentioned that you are staying on and off site - I would just rent a car for the week. As PP mention keep your eye on car rental deals
    I would book a car for your vacation time TODAY - you can always go back and cancel with no kinds of penalties
    I have used priceline in the past as well as Costco and got great deals on car rentals.
    Also check out if the airline you are flying on has deals with car rentals.
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck using the name your own price" website for car rentals, and have gotten them as cheap as $15 a day. (The highest I ever paid was $25/day)
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: