Quantcast Is it true that DHS tends to have pretty poor food? And...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it true that DHS tends to have pretty poor food? And...

am I right in my prejudice that usually food inside the parks (with Epcot as the exception, of course) is generally poor compared to the resorts?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, as far as DHS goes, on our last trip, one of our favorite meals was at Mama Melrose. It was an amazing experience in food, service and ambience. Other than that, I'm not totally crazy about the food choices there. It's fair, but nothing that I absolutely have to have....not like Ohana or Whispering Canyon!

And we ate at Captain's Grille this time around as well.....it was ok....not sure we will go back. So I don't think how good a restaurant is can really be based on whether it's in a park or at a hotel.....
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion Yes and NO. Hollywood studios really lacks a GOOD counter service. A few of the TS restaraunts are good. I think all the parks have poor to good selections depending on what you are looking for. I really did not care for the C.S at W.L. So it can really vary, depending on your expectations and standards. For the most part though Epcot is the Jewel in the Crown so to speak for the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I like Backlot Express. It always one the one place that I would indulge in chicken strips. Now that I'm a vegetarian, it's still one of my favorite places to eat at the World.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

It is true that MGM tends to have pretty poor [fill in the blank].

You can put just about anything in there IMHO. We spend less than 1/4 a day there, now that Fantasmic doesn't really play, there's hardly a reason to visit for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Hollywood Studios has a couple of good table service restaurants in my opinion.A must do for me is 50's Prime Time.I also like the Sci-Fi and for counter services I like Backlot Express or Pizza Planet.I guess each to his own.

Post Thanks / Like

We had really bad experiences with the CS at DS. Between bad service, getting our order wrong, and losing our orders - we are staying far away from CS at DS from now on.

That being said, 50s Prime Time Cafe is AWESOME, the Sci Fi Drive In is fun and I've heard other TS restaurants are decent too.

Just avoid the CS and you'll be good!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck finding something for breakfast OTHER than a character meal.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that it's the counter service at hollywood studios that is bad. No real choice and last year the service seemed to have gotten very slow.
    However the table service restaurants are very good I particulary like Hollywood Brown Derby and Mamma Melroses
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Briansmom View Post
    Well, as far as DHS goes, on our last trip, one of our favorite meals was at Mama Melrose. It was an amazing experience in food, service and ambience. Other than that, I'm not totally crazy about the food choices there. It's fair, but nothing that I absolutely have to have....not like Ohana or Whispering Canyon!

And we ate at Captain's Grille this time around as well.....it was ok....not sure we will go back. So I don't think how good a restaurant is can really be based on whether it's in a park or at a hotel.....
    Wow, what did you have at Mama's that was so good?

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to the other parks I would say DHS is last in good restaurants...having said that I've heard good things about 50's Prime Time and Brown Derby but have never been to either....the CS choices at DHS are poor but I think Starring Rolls is a hidden gem

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about DHS. If my kids didn't love RnR and ToT, we wouldn't even go there. I've not been overly impressed with any of the TS restaurants at the Studios, and I can't say that we've ever really eaten counter service there because we usually don't get there until after lunch. We consider it a "Sleep late because it only takes half a day to do everything" park.

I disagree that all the good food is outside the parks. I LOVE the restaurants in the World Showcase, and Garden Grill is one of our favorites. The stuff in the parks does seem like standard restaurant fare, though, while the more elegant, unique dining is found outside the parks. I can understand that, because putting your finer restaurants inside the parks isn't smart. It requires a ticket to get inside, so people are less likely to dine there without an annual pass or a ticket. At least, that's MHO.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have to agree that Starring Rolls is a hidden gem. We actually look forward to that meal. Our biggest disappointment was the 50's Prime Time. There seemed to be too much theme and less attention to food. The Sci-Fi seems to have gone a little more hoity-toity so we haven't been there in a while. The Backlot Express is always a great one for us. Even being behind the one attraction it is still a cool comfortable place for lunch. We liked the Brown Derby but felt it was overpriced.
    It doesn't matter. It's in the past - Rafiki
    Trips
    '97 CB
    '98 CS
    '01 AKL
    '03 AKL
    '04 Dolphin June
    '06 FWC October
    '07 Off site Janauary
    '07 FWC April
    '07 FWC August
    '09 POFQ January
    '09 POFQ May
    '09 POFQ September
    '10 AKL/POR
    '10 FW
    '11 POR
    '11 FW

Post Thanks / Like

STARRING ROLLS You are right hidden gem huge sandwiches huge desserts and very good at that...I think it is called backlot the one with the inside seating in the back and you can refill your own drinks.. Great southwestern salad there. 50's is ok they have cut way down on the portions so you leave hungry if you have the roast which is the best we think. Probably the next time we go we might just eat 2 counters there in one day and save the TS for somewhere else.... Like Teppon Edo YUMMMMMMM
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think Magic Kingdom gets the prize for least desirable TS restaurants. The Crystal Palace is over-rated, IMO (especially if you are not in the market for a character meal) and Tony's food is mediocre. Counter-service is okay, but that's because I like Cosmic Ray's--otherwise the other CS places are all just so-so to me.

Disney Studios has a very good TS restaurant in the Brown Derby and decent ones in Prime Time Cafe and Mama Melrose's (I realize some people don't care for Mama Melrose's, but we have always had good food and service there). Starring Rolls is also good for CS and we were pleasantly surprised the last time we were there with the Commissary.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Starring Rolls Cafe is very good! The CS isn't stellar, but it's not horrible. We had a negative experience at Pizza Planet. It was VERY crowded, the pizza was alright at best and we ended up standing outside in the heat and humidity to eat.

So on our next visit we tried ABC Commissary. Again the food wasn't out of this world but the place was empty with air conditioning. Which in some instances, AC can make anything worth it.

For TS, we like Sci-Fi, but the only way for your family to know is to try it yourself. If you don't like it, it's only one time, you don't have to go back.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    It is true that MGM tends to have pretty poor [fill in the blank].

You can put just about anything in there IMHO. We spend less than 1/4 a day there, now that Fantasmic doesn't really play, there's hardly a reason to visit for us.
    LOL - other than the food, it is actually my favourite park! I'd spend a couple of days there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! The TS is awful there with the exception of Mama Melrose. We really don't like Hollywood Vine and Dine, 50's Prime Time or Sci Fi. We have had bad experiences with all three of them. We have never eaten at Brown Derby though so I can't comment on that one. We do love Pizza Planet there and eat there at least twice on each trip.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

We regularly eat at the Commissary-- decent counter food and some different choices. We've also enjoyed Hollywood and Vine buffet, Sci-Fi is a must just for the atmosphere, and 50's prime time is good if you like comfort food. There are some good choices, just not as many as other areas.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. Prime Time, Sci Fi and Mama Melrose are must dos for me
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: