Quantcast Mexico Pavilion QS - Not Impressed

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mexico Pavilion QS - Not Impressed

One night while walking out of Epcot, my DBIL and I decided to have dinner at the new QS place in Mexico. The menu is *very* limited. They offer only about five things to eat, and of those five I remember shredded beef tacos, shredded chicken tacos, and a cheese empanada. We had the beef tacos. Three tacos (corn tortillas, which I love) and a ton of tortilla chips. A slice of lime, and a little container of pico de gallo. The tacos were tiny. After all the other QS meals i've had this week where I couldn't finish them because I was stuffed, I was really disappointed in the quantity of food that they gave me. Three tiny tacos, a bunch of chips, and a Coke cost me $15, and I was still hungry.

And that looked to be the most filling thing on the menu. I was expecting burritos, at least, but no. I was so unimpressed, I can't even remember the other items. If I walk past it tomorrow, i'll be sure to note what they are and add it to this thread.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Tacos like that are known as "street tacos" and they are supposed to resemble the authentic tacos you'd find for sale on the streets of Mexico. They are very popular here in California. I love them! The American idea of a taco was invented by the man who started up Taco Bell. He was from Minnesota or something. The cantina is supposed to be modeled after these "street vendors" that only sell a very limited menu.

I don't think $15 is appropriate to charge, though. Street tacos tend to go for between $1.00-$1.50 each around here. But, it is a theme park.

Were the tacos at least good?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Natalie, you took the words right out of my keyboard. You'll find the same "small" tacos at our local Mexican (not Tex-Mex and definitely not Taco Bell) restaurants and street vendors. Here they'll run you around $2.00 each.

I've heard that there's a salsa "bar" at the new CS. Not true?
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Do they still offer nachos, churros, and quesadillas? Those are the only items that my picky eaters will eat there. The CS in Mexico is always one of our favorite stops. I hope we won't have to elimitate it during our next visit.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping they still serve the nachos as well. That's what we usually get there.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the nachos the first day they opened and they were very good.

Not a great pic, but here's the entree menu. And yes, they still have churros, and an interesting variety of margaritas.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Melanie; 10-09-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Melanie!

Azcavalier, thanks for mentioning the size of the tacos vs. the price!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I liked the tacos. I just wish there were more of them, or had more filling! For a while, Taco Bell was running a special with Cantina Tacos (or something like that) and you could choose from beef, chicken or pork. They resemble those tacos. Very tasty. Just tiny, especially for the price. It was odd, as every other CS/QS we have ever eaten at seems to be overflowing with food, especially at the $10 price point. But this was not even close.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nachos

I had the Nachos last month and the portion was HUGE, I am a big eater and couldn't finish them. I wouldn't call it a salsa "bar" but there were two kinds of fairly good tasty salsa by the condiment area. I actually was fairly impressed with my lunch here but I will agree the taco portion looked small.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    I wouldn't call it a salsa "bar" but there were two kinds of fairly good tasty salsa by the condiment area.
    I would call that a salsa bar, by WDW CS standards. Remember how you used to get a PACKET of salsa at the old cantina? I'd say a choice of two "serve yourself" salsas is a "bar" by comparison.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I love Epcot...definitely not my favorite park...but I really think some areas of World Showcase and Future World need to be bulldozed and started from scratch. Mexico is one of them. There are just some really dated, poorly designed, and sub par pieces in the park. Take Canada for instance. Cool lay out, decent restaurant that is poorly themed, and a stand up video...kind of lame. I think the pavilions should emphasize more exhibits, and more live performances. LESS merchandising. And better food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mogie View Post
    I love Epcot...definitely not my favorite park...but I really think some areas of World Showcase and Future World need to be bulldozed and started from scratch. Mexico is one of them. There are just some really dated, poorly designed, and sub par pieces in the park. Take Canada for instance. Cool lay out, decent restaurant that is poorly themed, and a stand up video...kind of lame. I think the pavilions should emphasize more exhibits, and more live performances. LESS merchandising. And better food.
    I respect your opinion, but couldn't disagree with you more.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mogie View Post
    We're sort of hijacking the thread now, but I understand your perspective. I love World Showcase, but I agree it isn't perfect. I don't think adding quality attractions to the country pavilions would in any way compromise the World Showcase's integrity. I wish more of the nations offered attractions of equal quality to The American Adventure.

As for the food, lots of people love it. I have yet to find a World Showcase restaurant worth a return visit.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Are the nacho's the same as they have been in the past?
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a little nervous. I was really looking forward to eating there, but now just not sure. Oh well, we'll wait and see. It can't be but so bad can it.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Cantina de San Angel

We like to go to the Cantina outside of Mexico. We love the menu choices, sitting outdoors, the variety of drinks, and churros. If your hungry, it is easy to get back line and order soemthing else. One of our favs.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nachos

I have a photo of the nachos I could post.

ETA from Melanie: Thanks for the photo Janet!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Melanie; 10-15-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    I have a photo of the nachos I could post if allowed?
    Janet, send it to one of the Dining moderators and we'll post it in the thread for you. Only moderators have the ability to put a picture in a thread.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I was there in September. Food was good and I actually like the fact the menu is limited, it will help to stop people from staring at it for 10 minutes at the register (instead of online) and figuring out what they want to eat. I do have to say though that it was painfully sow. I walked right up and ordered and it still took 10 minutes and there was no obvious source of a delay. It might be interesting to be on line when the line is 20 deep at each register.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: