Quantcast How far can Disney go and keep you coming back? - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    I will have to disagree with you there. We were at Busch Gardens last year to say happy birthday and goodbye to the Big Bad Wolf. Their prices were very comparable to Disney and I also thought the quality was either on par if not a little better as Disney merchandise has been the victim of the worst of the cutbacks. We also got a meal deal as we went in and saved a little there, especially on drink refills. It was a very enjoyable day.
    I haven't been to Busch Gardens (we're talking Williamsburg, here) since I got married back in 1995. However, in my mind, Busch Gardens is a great theme park...excellent rides, great theming, and I always remember it being clean. I don't know about the food though. That's one thing that makes Disney stand out to us. We went to Kings Island last year and ate in one of maybe two restaurants in the parks. It was a buffet. It was nasty.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I fondly remember the beer garden in the middle of Busch Gardens .... That's good eating, right?
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I hate to admit it, but I've paid rack rate at least twice (in my younger days). Fortunately, for Disney, there are millions of less savvy Disney consumers (than myself) that do it all the time.
    I hate to admit it too, but we've done the same in the past. In our defense, though...as much as we love it, we never really intended for Disney to be our "vacation destination of choice" so a few of our trips in the beginning were planned very "spur of the moment". Now that we've accepted the fact that we're Disney addicted, we're planning our trips much more in advance and figuring things out earlier...more time to find specials and deals.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching this post and have held off replying until now.I wanted to make sure i didn't say something that was going to make me "insert foot" into mouth....
    I think it is all relative.Disney is a business.The people that have worked their way to the top to be in charge at the corporate
    level have inherited many responsibilities.
    If i can afford to spend my entertainment dollar on a place that makes me happy,I will.If my financial situation changes to a point to where i don't have the entertainment dollar to spend on disney,I won't.
    For now i am very thankful I can
    "As long as we don't lose sight of one thing..."
    Love ya walt.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the point being made is that Disney is for the family. Not just the rich families, but for the American family. The working man as it where. The whole idea for Disneyland was a place to spend time as a family and for everyone to be entertained. I'm sure Walt wanted to make a profit, but that was not the driving force behind his ideas. He wanted people to be happy. He wanted people to enjoy his park. What has always set Disney above the other parks has been the attention to detail and the story behind things. Nothing there is just a ride, it is an adventure. But, also, part of the detail has been the helpfulness and friendliness of the CMs and the cleanliness of not just the parks, but the resorts. This has been in a noticeable decline in recent years. It is my opinion that WDW cannot continue to operate indefinitely if only the rich can afford it. It is also my opinion that people come to WDW because it is different than other parks. The Disney "Magic" if you will. I don't know what the answers are, but raising the prices and lowering the standards are NOT the answers they should be pursuing (IMHO).
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrninGost View Post
    I'm sure Walt wanted to make a profit, but that was not the driving force behind his ideas.
    Money was not the end result for him. Money is what allowed them to do more things. It was seen as part of the process, for the most part, rather than the goal of all their work. Walt and Roy could've pocketed a whole lot of money. Instead, they reinvested in a business that later allowed others to come along and rake in the millions.

In a way, it is one of the more disgusting things about the business world. It isn't always the ones who take all the risk that make the most reward. Those who work long days, reinvest into the business as much as they can, etc. It is the manager types who come along later, who are never going to mortgage all their personal assets to build the business, yet rake in the millions off of all the hard work and risk that somebody else dealt with. All with a clear conscience, as if they are really sticking their neck out to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrninGost View Post
    II'm sure Walt wanted to make a profit, but that was not the driving force behind his ideas.
    This is a popular notion, but as someone who's read just about every word ever printed about Walt's life, I'll tell you that I think the truth is actually somewhere in between.

I mean, in reality Walt was originally motivated to get into animation by a desire to make a profit. He wanted to "strike it rich", basically. Just like so many other young men in the 20's and 30's. He was kicking off the dust of small town America and heading to Hollywood to find fortune and fame.

It was more his approach that emphasized quality over profits. He believed that the way you become successful was to give the customer more than what they expect, while charging them at their expectation level. He felt like, if you did that, you'd build an extremely loyal client base and the money would flow from there (i.e. volume over high margin).

And look he was obviously right, because despite their best efforts this team of suits has yet to burn off all the brand loyalty Walt created over the decades he ran the company.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    And look he was obviously right, because despite their best efforts this team of suits has yet to burn off all the brand loyalty Walt created over the decades he ran the company.
    But they are trying as hard as their MBA allows them...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the thing in broad strokes...

Where else can you find a vacation destination where you can spend a WEEK there for well under $1000 with constant excitement? Further where else can you find a vacation destination where it's PLAY TIME constantly from the moment Mickey wakes you up for a wake up call, till the moment you collapse in bed thankfully and satisfied? Good food, happy Cast Member faces, Mickey Ice Cream ears at 10am, rides and coasters! Holy I cant believe were having this conversation Plug it into my veins!
    It's a break from life. It's corporate, I know, but they do it right. Dont think about it, let yourself sink into it like a luxurious bed and let them take you for a ride. Forget about work, money, problems and anything else, if you're able, and...well...have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mogie View Post
    Where else can you find a vacation destination where you can spend a WEEK there for well under $1000 with constant excitement?
    I don't know about your family, but my family of 4 can't get away with a WEEK for "well under $1000). Even pricing out a value resort during value season, with base tickets (no hoppers) and the QS dining plan comes out at well over $2000. Now this is with no discounts, and I could have left he QS dining plan out, but I'd still have to add in the expense for food, getting there (flights or gas). Once upon a time a family of 4 could have gone for around $1500 and had a fantastic time, but I don't see that happening with current increases.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mogie View Post

Where else can you find a vacation destination where you can spend a WEEK there for well under $1000 with constant excitement? Further where else can you find a vacation destination where it's PLAY TIME constantly from the moment Mickey wakes you up for a wake up call, till the moment you collapse in bed thankfully and satisfied? Good food, happy Cast Member faces, Mickey Ice Cream ears at 10am, rides and coasters! Holy I cant believe were having this conversation Plug it into my veins!
    It's a break from life. It's corporate, I know, but they do it right. Dont think about it, let yourself sink into it like a luxurious bed and let them take you for a ride. Forget about work, money, problems and anything else, if you're able, and...well...have fun!
    Under $1000? Please share your discount strategies. I am paying as much this year for my moderate with 7 day park hopper for four and FREE dining plan as I did in 2003 for the Poly with ultimate park hopper (everything was included DQ, WP, PI, WDW recreation etc.)for 5. I know it has been 7 years but if you priced what I had in 2003 to the same thing this year it would make your head spin. And, the Poly has cut some of their little perks that made it special as have most in the WDW resort area.

I guess I am more with Teneek on this one. Disney is a good value if you compare it to other destinations. The point is, there used to be NO comparison. And if you compare Disney today with Disney even 5 years ago, it is a completely different place. Their standards have lowered along with their quality and service. So, the question I have posed isn't about how Disney compares to other places. It is about how the recent increase in prices all over the WDW resort area from tickets and rooms to special events, dining and recreation with the insane amount of decrease in quality, cleanliness, service and magic, affect how you do a WDW vacation today in contrast to recent years or if your even willing to do a WDW vacation today. And how will that affect Disney. People have come to expect greatness in WDW, because Disney, once upon a time, delivered greatness. It has always been an expensive trip. But now, you are paying premium prices for mediocre service, rooms, merchandise and food. Many are having to stop their yearly trek because it is no longer doable. Some are stopping their traditional WDW trips because the magic has dropped and price has increased. The current idea to raise prices while slashing quality is not going to help Disney in the long term. Already we are comparing it to other destinations when there should be no comparison. Disney used to be that far above the rest.

For as long as I can remember, the top 10 list for amusement/theme parks attendance has had eight Disney parks on it and the other Disney parks were close behind. I look forward to seeing the new list. Disney won't stay on top for long if it continues down the path it is currently traveling. And they won't be able to blame it on Harry Potter.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Alert

OK Folks, I am stepping in here and going to remind everyone to please try to keep the discussion to the OP's topic. This is not a board for political discussions
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how you can rate the value of a Disney trip without comparing it to other destinations. It's not that I don't understand the comparison to itself in previous years, I do. But, the bottom line when you're choosing a vacation destination is deciding where the best place to spend your time and money would be.

I'm just not seeing this massive decline in cleanliness, service and magic. Obviously, there are people who are, I'm not negating anyone else's experience. But there are obviously a lot of people like us too, who still find Disney to be an incredible value and a wonderful destination. There are also new people discovering it every day who are likely to be return guests.

I just think it's illogical to say that you can only compare Disney to itself in past years. Only my

Post Thanks / Like

Default They will keep going until no one lines up anymore.

Some may refer to it as greed, and others may refer to it is capitalism at work. I just can't believe that we all can't agree that something is out of balance. I am not going to make this some kind of political rant, but this is all a reflection of our society.

I am involved in a business that depends on quality customer service. I don't make as much as the next guy working in my field - because I bend over backwards to see to the satisfaction of my customers. But my customer base is growing and I am still making a living. I can employ more people who will help me to continue growing and earning my customers business.

I think many corporations/organizations are too in touch with their "bottom line" and not in touch with their customer. No offense to accountants, but if all decisions are made to increase the profitability of individual items - you lose sight of the bigger picture.

We are in a very "ME" era. The CEO took a 58% pay loss from 2008 to 2009. Now if I took a 58% pay cut I would be in the poor house BUT THIS GUY'S PAY WAS STILL VALUED AT $21.6M. But it is not just him - how about the CFO, COO, CTO, etc. I believe that people should make a living, and when you work hard you deserve to live well. We are now reaping the rewards of what we have sown and it is a tough pill to swallow.

Other threads indicate that the parks are cutting back hours, cutting extravaganzas in the off season, cutting back in the quality of their products. My own experience showed that many EPCOT attractions shut down at 7:00 p.m. in July (isn't this peak season!!!).

But this cuts down on costs, employee hours, power and electricity, maintenance - these are not only savings for the company but its lost wages for employees.

I don't believe that was what made Disney so attractive in the first place. Lets make it magical, and they will keep coming - let's make it an experience that they will not forget - and more will come. Not just for the elite, or so-called elite - but for everyone.

It is what made Disney and a lot of other American institutions great. Do I think anyone deserves a free ride the answer is "NO". But rather than making big dollars on few - lets make few dollars on many - and send them home wanting more.

Wow - I have gotten carried away. I love Disney - I believe in the magic, but will my children be able to afford to go with their families. If this keeps going - I am afraid not.
    '76 - FW - Camper
    '81 - FW - Cabin
    '86 - FW - Cabin
    '91 - FW - Cabin (Engaged!!!)
    '00 - Tried to stay off site - couldn't do it - FW - Cabin
    '02 - FW - Cabin
    '05 - POR (Wished we had a cabin)
    JULY 2010 - AKKV - YEAH!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McCord View Post
    My own experience showed that many EPCOT attractions shut down at 7:00 p.m. in July (isn't this peak season!!!).
    I wonder how many people, going to the parks on a regular basis today, even know the hours used to be different at Epcot. This was yet another one of those budgetary things that just never went away.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the grocery store this morning. Last week I brought a gallon of skim milk for 2.96. Today I paid 3.18 for the same milk. My daughter in law reminded me that I will continue to buy the milk, and didn't blink an eye when I paid the cashier. She said I have been sputtering about Disney's price increase ever since it was announced. She asked me why I am not as angry about the price of milk. She actually made sense to me.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    I went to the grocery store this morning. Last week I brought a gallon of skim milk for 2.96. Today I paid 3.18 for the same milk. My daughter in law reminded me that I will continue to buy the milk, and didn't blink an eye when I paid the cashier. She said I have been sputtering about Disney's price increase ever since it was announced. She asked me why I am not as angry about the price of milk. She actually made sense to me.
    Did you get a gallon of milk though? Or was it more like 1/2 gallon in a container designed to look like it holds a gallon?

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Did you get a gallon of milk though? Or was it more like 1/2 gallon in a container designed to look like it holds a gallon?
    This is the real beef! Paying more for less. Even if you keep quality out of it. Party events are now double what they were in 2003. You cannot enter (rumor as of now)before 7:00 instead of 4:00 as in the past(loss of 3 hours), and this year there is premium pricing for Oct 29 and 31! You don't get a button, you don't get a free photo and the trick or treat bag is plastered with advertisements for their movies.
    Would you not be angry if bought a gallon of milk for more than normal and got home with 3/4 of a gallon? I sure would.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I can handle the increase in prices. I can't handle the decrease in customer service. I am still upset over the fact that they closed the Adventurer's Club and took the characters from Liberty Tree Tavern. It hasn't reached the point where I refuse to go back, but it does cause me to look at other vacations. We went on an Alaskan Cruise last summer. It was as wonderful as my last WDW trip. I was seriously debating whether to do another cruise for my bday next year or go to WDW. Since MK will be celebrating it's 40th bday too, I chose WDW. Our family trip in 2012 will definitely be a cruise though - and with Royal Caribbean, not Disney.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

It has effected our family. We have been down 25 times since 1983. We have stopped staying on property years ago. We have stayed off property before we bought in on a timeshare which is on Disney property. (Wyndham Bonnet Creek next to Caribbean Beach Resort) Which is ten times better than DVC. Just look at the accommodations. They have there own kitchens so we don't eat much at the parks anymore. I don't pay the now $15 for parking at the parks. We do have a shuttle that go's to each park and of course you can figure the other way to get to them. Before Wyndham we had to pay for lodging, tickets, food and it added up real fast. Lets just say a family as ours (6) would cost $1980 for 2 rooms at a value resort for 10 days. If I went by today's tickets prices and did the 10 day magic your way plan with the added park hopper add another $1998.18. Now add the tickets for a flight down and back, $2500.00 give or take and then food and souvenirs. You are talking about well over $6000.00. How many people can keep doing that? Now the way I do it I drive down straight through. It's about 1400miles. Takes 21 hours and we have 4 that can drive. It takes 4 fill ups of gas each way. About $320, savings of $2180 on plane tickets. We pack sandwiches and water for the trip so no money spent there. I don't have to pay anything out of pocket for lodging for the trip. Saving of $1998.18. We bring stuff from home to eat at our resort. I can't remember the last time we spent money to eat at the parks. Maybe a water or something. Not much I can do about park tickets. They are what they are. Like I said I don't pay for parking. Not after spending about $480 for the price of tickets for the day give or take. The other stuff is up to the wife and kids on what they want to spend for souvenirs..

Don't get me wrong, I am one of WDW biggest fans. But the price is just to high. Find a better way. Save yourselves cash. Don't be held hostage by Disney prices....

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: