Quantcast Man sues Disney over Tower of Terror

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Man sues Disney over Tower of Terror

Here's what I read on another website:
    Walt Disney World is in court defending a lawsuit claiming that the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror attraction is inherently unsafe, and further claiming that it led to a stroke in a then-68-year-old Pennsylvania man 12 years ago. Marvin Cohen, now 80, claims that he suffered a tear in an artery leading to his brain while riding the attraction on March 28, 1998, and that it led to him suffering a stroke 23 days later. His attorneys claim that the ride creates a whiplash effect that can cause serious injury, even to healthy riders.

Once again, someone looking to make a quick buck...12 years later.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee...68 year olds NEVER have strokes...it HAD to be the ride.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

You know, statistically most strokes and heart attacks happen when you first wake up in the morning. Maybe somebody should sue the alarm clock makers....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

12 years ago and he's just thinking of it now???
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

I got the hiccups from laughing while on the TOT. Does that warrant a lawsuit?
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Sorry, but I'm not inclined to believe this is accurate. The statute of limitations on suits like this is typically 2 years. I can't possibly envision a scenario in which you'd be allowed to sue 12 years after the fact.

The only way this could be true is if the suit was filed within the 2 year time frame and has been somehow held up and delayed for the last 10 years and is just now heading to court.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not inclined to believe this is accurate. The statute of limitations on suits like this is typically 2 years. I can't possibly envision a scenario in which you'd be allowed to sue 12 years after the fact.

The only way this could be true is if the suit was filed within the 2 year time frame and has been somehow held up and delayed for the last 10 years and is just now heading to court.
    Yeah, it seems hard to fathom, doesn't it? It's just pretty outrageous in general.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

A torn artery was bleeding for 23 days and he did not die. He should just be happy to be alive. Really hard to believe this story.

Post Thanks / Like

Whiplash on ToT? I can't even image how unless you are goofing around and not riding properly. Now Space Mountain, that is another story. Where are the lawsuits for that ride?

Post Thanks / Like

His injury is not directly from a "torn artery." His damage is from a tear in the inner lining of his artery that caused his blood to clot there, then some of that clot dislodged from the injury site and traveled up to his brain causing the stroke.

The thing that makes this far fetched is because the process I just described is virtually identical to what happens when an athrosclortic plaque (caused by years of high blood pressure and high cholesterol) ruptures which is very common in his age group. The other problem is there is no way the man can prove that he did nothing in those roughly 3 weeks in between his ride and stroke that could cause the same injury. At first blush, this case has no merit and I suspect is the reason Disney let this one get to trial.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Whiplash on ToT? I can't even image how unless you are goofing around and not riding properly. Now Space Mountain, that is another story. Where are the lawsuits for that ride?
    Speaking of which, is the jerkiness any better since the refurb? I'd love to not have a migraine after riding this year.
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like this one is true...

ORLANDO, Fla. -- It's called the Tower of Terror, but one man says the real terror happened after he rode it. He says the ride caused him to have a stroke and now he's suing Disney.

It is extremely rare for a personal injury case over a theme park ride to go to trial and most are settled or dismissed. Marvin Cohen’s incident happened in 1998. It has taken until this week to go to trial.

Cohen said the ride itself is flawed. The man's attorneys argue the ride is dangerous and Disney failed to warn riders of the safety risks.

“Do you have any comment about the case?” WFTV reporter Mary Nguyen asked Cohen.

“No, I cannot comment,” Cohen replied.

Marvin Cohen, 80, would not talk to WFTV about his case against Disney, because his attorney and Disney agreed not to talk to the media about the case until after the trial.

“I'll talk with you after the case is over,” Cohen's attorney said.

Cohen's attorney said his client was physically active when he first rode the Tower of Terror in 1998, but 23 days after he rode it he had a stroke.

When people ride the Tower of Terror they get onto an elevator-like ride; it then drops several floors in a matter of seconds, as well as going back up.

Cohen’s attorney said the ride can create whiplash that can seriously injure riders. An expert witness said she believes the ride caused the stroke.

“This dissection could only have occurred from a severe torsional rotation about his neck that occurs hours to weeks prior to the stroke itself,” the expert said.

Cohen's attorney is not saying the out-of-control elevator ride malfunctioned, but claims Disney failed to give riders an adequate restraint system and doesn't give enough warning for potential injuries.

Disney disagrees and claims the ride is fun and safe for the entire family regardless of age. They argue Cohen had pre-existing conditions and his stroke was not caused by the ride. Disney does have signs posted in front of the Tower of Terror that warn riders with medical conditions not to get on the ride.

The trial will resume Friday morning.

This isn't the first lawsuit filed against Disney over the Tower of Terror, but the other case is a fight to ride the attraction. WFTV reported when Denise Mooty filed a lawsuit in January of 2009. She has internal scarring and says riding the Tower of Terror over and over somehow helps with the pain.

The lawsuit claims a manager told her she could go on the ride only four times per park visit. However, Disney said she was banned after she cursed at a manager. That case is still pending
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

When are people going to realize that there are inherent risks in everything we do?
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Dissections happen to everyone at all times, there is no way to prove it was TOT.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/757906-overview

Post Thanks / Like

When I read the article on the Sentinal I was questioning the timing and legal guides, however becuase of the nature of his injury he was not able to file until he was able to be of sound mind so that extended the time frame.
    Personally I do have to wonder how the injury ocurred 23 days later...
    Also his lawyer is notorious for targeting theme parks including Disney Land.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Won't be long before the judge tells this guy to pound sand.

It's good to see Disney fighting these frivilous suits, although kindof makes it seem they are at fault in the ones they settle to make go away.

Post Thanks / Like

While I happen to agree with everyone that it seems unlikely that this man can pin his injuries on Disney, we have to all remember that this is the same justice system that awarded millions to the person who spilled hot coffee from McDonald's in her lap because she placed the cup between her legs while driving. Somehow, that act of stupidity was McDonald's fault simply because the cup wasn't marked that the coffee was hot. Stranger things have happened.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    When are people going to realize that there are inherent risks in everything we do?
    And, why must we try to get a buck from someone else every time we get hurt?
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Strongly agree with all the posts about inherent risk. When are people going to stop looking for someone else to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    This isn't the first lawsuit filed against Disney over the Tower of Terror, but the other case is a fight to ride the attraction. WFTV reported when Denise Mooty filed a lawsuit in January of 2009. She has internal scarring and says riding the Tower of Terror over and over somehow helps with the pain.

The lawsuit claims a manager told her she could go on the ride only four times per park visit. However, Disney said she was banned after she cursed at a manager. That case is still pending
    Am I the only who read this part and went "huh"? Maybe it's just the way the article summarized the case, but is this woman mentally stable?!
    Many trips as a child!
    March 2006 - POR
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - ASMu
    February 2009 - Offsite
    May 2010 - SSR
    February 2012 - SSR
    August 2012 - CSR
    October 2013 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

The obvious question is...what on earth is a nearly 70 year old man doing on TOT?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: