Quantcast Will Harry Potter at Universal hurt WDW? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Harry Potter is nothing but shops and resturants. They took the Dueling Dargons coaster and combined them to the Potter theme. So they really don't even have a Harry Potter Themed ride. Just took the one that was already there. I think their going to have a walk thru of the castle. Alot of people are going to be disappointed.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It will hurt as much as Islands of Adventure hurt... Oh wait, it didn't LOL... Nah, it won't hurt and I don't expect Universal's to increase drastically either...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    The Harry Potter is nothing but shops and resturants. They took the Dueling Dargons coaster and combined them to the Potter theme. So they really don't even have a Harry Potter Themed ride. Just took the one that was already there. I think their going to have a walk thru of the castle. Alot of people are going to be disappointed.

Um, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey??? There is going to be a major e-ticket ride...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default HP vs WDW

I'd bet that people would go to Universal for one day to see HP and then spend the rest of their trip in the World! The new attraction may boost the WDW attendance for a year or two!
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Without a doubt it will effect WDW in one shape or another. And as far as i am concerned its only the paying public who gains with this attraction .
    I just hope it lives up to the hype
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

This is not correct. They are designing a MAJOR ride with state-of-the-art technology, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. It's supposed to be the best thing Universal has done yet, which if you speak to people who like Universal, is quite an achievement.

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine that it will be a draw for a while, but WDW will always be the main attraction in the area.

I love Harry Potter, but won't be shelling out the money to go to Universal ever again. I have never been in so many lines, only to find out that the attraction is broken down. It was so frustrating!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about others, but it won't change our pattern since we always do a few days off site anyway (usually one or two at Universal, one at Seaworld, and perhaps one at Discovery Cove if we want a splurge). It doesn't take time "out" of our Disney days, since we plan extra for it. My bigger fear is that Harry Potter will make the crowds at Universal insane! For us, we still stay on-site and we still use dining plan (just eat snacks off site and then have a nice meal at one of the resorts when we get back on property).

Post Thanks / Like

We are going next year but only for one day. We will still be spending the whole week in Disney on Disney property. I'm excited! I LOVE Harry Potter!!!!!
    "Pudge controls the weather" -Lilo

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm everyone scheduled to visit WDW the last week in May should definetly go check out Harry Potter instead! That way the park will be empty for us! LOL
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to check out HP, but I would not be willing to cut a WDW visit short for it. We typically stay 9-10 days and wouldn't want to try to tack something on to the beginning or end either. We'd be more likely to stop at Universal if we're there visiting family at a time when we're not planning on a WDW trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    ... I think a lot of people will want to make HP a part of their Disney vacations, ... For instance, they might choose to stay off-site, or to stay at a Disney resort for 4 or 5 nights instead of 7. They might get fewer days worth of park tickets and opt not to do the dining plan, spending money in non_Disney restaurants, allocating some souvenir money to HP...
    Sounds EXACTLY like us for our upcoming trip!

Staying off site... Check!

Staying at Disney for only 5 nights instead of 8 or 9... Check!

(We're staying off-site for a week and then going to Disney for 5 nights.)

Fewer days of Disney park tickets... Check!

Eating in non-Disney restaurants... Check!

Allocating souvenir money to HP... Check!
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess is no, it isn't a zero sum game between Disney and Universal, in the short term it may even draw more people to Orlando to see what it's all about, these people will most likely want to give Disney a try. They both draw crowds into the area who largely visit both, why else would Disney, Universal, Sea World, etc all set up base next to each other rather than each claim different cities/states.

Some people may extend their stays to fit in both, a few may shorten their stay at Disney by a couple of days but bear in mind the extra days on long passes work out at less than $10. This may add up over a lot of people but it's not going to pose any real threat and cost Disney a fortune. Universal are hardly likely to displace WDW as the main place to be in Orlando over a new theming as WDW is a much bigger and more complete vacation prospect. Overall I doubt it would cause Disney any real harm, if anything it may even have a (slight) positive effect.

Our plans for this year are as they would have been anyway, 14 days at Orlando with a Disney pass to cover the duration of that. We expect to spend 2-3 days at Universal during that time as we always do.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Some good competition benefits everyone. Believe me, WDW is not hurting.
    I agree.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

A combination of things will occur:
    - an increase in people visiting Orlando to see the ride. Spill over from this should benefit WDW
    - a small percentage will shave a day or two off their trip to see HP.

Overall, I say there is a 3% decline in attendance at WDW this year over what it could be without HP.
    Next Trip: All Star Movies - Dec '11

09/11 - Disneyland
    12/07 - Caribbean Beach
    05/07 - Boardwalk
    05/05 - Port Orleans Riverside
    09/99 - Wilderness Lodge
    06/'97 - Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon!)
    1988 - Offsite
    early 80's - Golf Resort
    1979 - Polynesian
    1975 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will cost WDW something not too much but something. Most people do 1 week vacations, so they will probably split their stays or take a day or 2 and go to Universal. WDW loses the money that would have been spent in their parks on food and souvenirs...

I know that is how my family would do it. We almost did it on our last visit, but didn’t because we did not have enough desire to head to Universal. Harry Potter would have been the thing to send us there. Also we make have done a totally opposite trip, stayed off property, spent time at Universal, Sea World and maybe just a day at WDW.
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Just like in years past, Disney is not our end all be all of our vacation. We go to Universal (3 days), Seaworld (1 day), Disney (5 days). Last trip we added a day at Universal and pulled a day from Disney.

For our honeymoon, we will be going to Disney 3 days maybe 4 and Universal for 2.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by DVC2004 Some good competition benefits everyone.
    When I read the question this was my thought too...I would love for Harry Potter to siphon a few folks away from WDW and kind of up the ante again in terms of competing for guests and their dollars...that kind of competition provides WDW with the best possible motivation (lost dollars) to improve their own theme parks...the simple truth appears to be that without serious competition there remains little reason to fork out the big money in terms of capital outlays required for new major attractions.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Harry who?
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

It will cut in a little bit. I am a case in point. My fiancee and I have gone to Disney 5 times now together since we've been dating. Every time we say "We should go to Universal!" But we never do it. Harry Potter was our impetus to finally get there. So, on our Honeymoon, instead of staying 6 or 7 nights on Disney property and at Disney Parks, we are only spending 4 nights and then moving on to Universal. I don't think it's going to devastate Disney but I do think it will have a mild effect.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: