Quantcast Epcot - what can't we miss?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot - what can't we miss?

6th trip to WDW with my kids - still don't get the Epcot thing. What are the worthwhile rides? We always do Soarin' and have done Test Track. What about the Imagination ride? Energy? Tried them years ago, but not recently. Epcot just seems sooo big, that we give up and go back to MK and DHS where all is familiar. Would love a way to try to tackle Epcot this time!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Epcot is one of our favorite parks. DD loves Journey into your Imagination with Figment. Our first time there I got her a passport to get stamped in each country. Although it took 2 trips we finished it up. There are the Kim Possible Missions in WS, something we will do on our next visit. Besides Test Track we also like the boat ride in The Land. Another area was The Living Seas, don't know if it is still called that though. There is a Finding Nemo attraction there where you ride in a clam shell. Dont' forget about Spaceship Earth. Another on of our favorites.

We usually spending most of our time there, between AK, MK and once/twice at DHS.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree....Epcot is our favorite park. My children are 6 and 9 and they both LOVE it. They too enjoy getting their "passports" stamped as well as making the masks in each of the countries.

As for rides, we enjoy all (except test track). Love the updates to Spaceship Earth. I have to admit.....Energy and Imagination are my favorite. I can't get enough of Ellen and Figment!

Food wise, we LOVE Canada, Mexico and France.

For us, Epcot is where we spend most of our time.

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

We take two days (or more, we go back) to tackle Epcot. It's a big park, lots of walking. Some people do Future World one day, and World Showcase another. I prefer to think of it as more of a figure eight- do the right half of Epcot's Future World and then the left half of World Showcase one day. The next, do the left of Future World and the right of World Showcase. That way, it mixes up the thrills of FW with the browsing and tasting of WS. But you're still not going to see and do it all in two days.

I wouldn't miss:
    Spaceship Earth
    Soarin'
    Living with the Land
    Living Seas
    Journey into Your Imagination
    Mission: Space
    Test Track
    Gran Fiesta Tour
    Maelstrom
    American Adventure
    Exploring and tasting at all WS countries

And the rest, like Universe of Energy, Innoventions, Reflections of China, Impressions of France, etc... I try to fit in as we can.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Living with the seas especially turtle talk since you have kids, they will love it. Living with the Land is very informative and neat. And dont miss maelstorm at norway inthe world showcase.
    May 2009 CSR
    Febuary 2010 CBR
    Next Trip HoneyMoon May 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superzeus84 View Post
    Living with the seas especially turtle talk since you have kids, they will love it. Living with the Land is very informative and neat. And dont miss maelstorm at norway inthe world showcase.
    I meant the seas with nemo and friends, my bad.
    May 2009 CSR
    Febuary 2010 CBR
    Next Trip HoneyMoon May 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Our kids and grandkids do most of their shopping at Mouse Gears...and DGS#1 could spend hours at Innoventions....All of us love Soaring, Nemo, Test Track, Spaceship Earth....and most of us love Mission Space....Those who remember miss Horizons...We also enjoy the various WS shows....and the American Adventure....

We have done July 4th at EPCOT at least twice....Something special about the day there...and then back to Bay Lake viewing spots for the 4th Fireworks...

Also enjoy the various food venues there...try to do the Biergarten each trip...and LeCellier....and snacks between meals...and all the shows...Guess I really enjoy EPCOT....could never be bored there.

Oh, did I mention the pistachio gelato in Italy....or that Tangerine slushy in Morocco....?

Or the short walk to Beaches and Cream?
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

There's rides at Epcot?

Seriously, there's only a couple thrill rides there and the rest are calm but a lot of fun! For me, exploring the World Showcase is one of my favorite things to do! I use to think it was so boring and dull as a teenager then I started to really enjoy it as I turned about 18 and now I stay in WS like half-a-day! I guess you appreciate things better when you get older. Anyways, there's a lot to see in WS. There's like random performances that happen through out the day, a lot of them pretty darn funny. Off Kilter is TEH BOMB! They're my fave band ever. Don't miss Maelstrom in Norway. It's a fun little ride. There's just so much to do in WS. Take a little time to go exploring and see what you can find
    4 trips from 83-85 Buena Vista Palace
    6/90 CB
    12/91 CB
    6/93 DL
    6/94 DL
    2/95 DL
    12/95 WL
    11/96 Disney Institute
    5/98 DL
    5/00 DL
    11/02 ASM
    9/04 PO RS
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 Off grounds
    5/06 PO RS
    5/07 PC
    4/08 PC
    11/08 PC
    10/09 PC
    Coming 4/10 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot is wonderful-- my favorite park of the lot! I thought so when I was 6, and I still think so at 26!

But, as a word of advice, its not a park that can be thought of as a 'checklist' of must-see attractions. The most enjoyable moments you will have at Epcot will probably happen while you stroll around Innoventions, chat with cast members at the world showcase countries, or spontaneously run into some street entertainment.

Having said that, though, I do think Soarin' is one of the most enjoyable experiences one can have...just get there first thing in the morning, or get a fastpast! Impressions de France, Spaceship Earth, and Living with the Land are highlights for me, but this is about as subjective as it gets!
    "One wrong move, and I could easily be squashed into a tangy pesto sauce."

1988, 1990, 2008- Contemporary
    1993, 1999, 2005- Beach Club
    1996- Polynesian
    2009- Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

My "must do" for Epcot is a pretty short list, actually.

1) Ride the orange version of Mission: Space a couple of times.
    2) Get a Guiness or three in England.

(In that order. It doesn't work too well the other way around.)

There are a lot of other things I try to get to - Innoventions with the kids, Test Track (esp now that DS is big enough to ride it), Soarin', Turtle Talk, Spaceship Earth, the ride at the Land, as many of the pavilions in the world showcase as I can hit, etc. It's probably my favorite park, and I could easily spend a couple days there each trip.

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Spend the beginning of your day in Future World. Make sure you shop at MouseGears, and ride Test Track and Soarin' since you like those. Mission: Space is a very cool simulator ride to try at least once. Also make sure to go to Innoventions. If you have lots of time to kill, or if your piggies are tired, ride Universe of Energy.

Once you've done everything you've wanted to do in Future World, go to World Showcase and just walk slowly and enjoy the scenery. There are many characters/attractions/shows that you could run into. Then, get a seat for Illuminations. :]

Post Thanks / Like

Must Sees:
    Soarin
    Spaceship Earth
    American Adventure Movie
    Test Track
    Mission Space (at least try green one first if you're worried about mission space)

If you have time and there are small wait times:
    Maelstrom
    Living with the Land
    Living Seas
    Honey I Shrunk Audience
    Gran Fiesta Tour
    Innoventions

Skip:
    Canada, France and China Movies
    Universe of Energy
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

We try to save two full days for Epcot. My kids love Epcot. Of course there are rides, but the shows are good too. We never miss watching them feed the marine life in The Living Seas. My kids are amazed when they watch the Chinese acrobats. A lot of times there is live music ouside of Japan or a street performer in Italy. Epcot gives us a chance to relax. Plus, we "snack around the world" for dinner on one night so that we can try a little from each country.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

EVERYTHING!!!
    Epcot is our favorite park, other than MK of course andSpaceship Earth is my favorite ride in all of WDW. I would suggest treating Epcot as 2 different parks and take 2 days. I would say my not misses are every ride.
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

You didn't mention the ages of your kids, but without a doubt, do the Kim Possible missions!!!!!! So much fun, and brings a whole new dimension to the World Showcase.

Post Thanks / Like

Kids are 18, 18, 15, 13 and 9. I figure the older ones will go off on their own a lot this trip. Heard about Kim Possible - what age would that appeal to?

Post Thanks / Like

Soarin'
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We saw alot of the older kids helping younger kids do the Kim Possible Mission. In actuality, we saw a large number of adults doing the mission w/o children! Great activity to bring the kids together.

For us, we love Epcot. it does take 2 days to see and do it all. We've always tried to do FW in the morning (get there first thing!) and then WS in the late afternoon, early evening. If anyone is into photography in your family, it is a great park for finding photo gems! Each country has such great theming and wonderful nooks and crannies.

You didn't mention when you are going. We go every fall and one of the reasons why is the Food and Wine Festival. We will be going in October again this year and will NOT miss it this time! My parents will be watching the kids as DH and I have a "date" night.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

I find the theming and atmosphere of World Showcase to be the high point of Epcot.

Gran Fiesta Tour
    Maelstrom
    Reflections of China
    Miyuki (candy artist in Japan)
    Sergio (Italian juggler/mime)
    American Adventure
    Impressions de France
    Server de Amusement (French balancing act)
    Off Kilter (Canadian rock band)
    O' Canada

The best way to tackle World Showcase is to pick up a times guide when you get into the park. Make sure you are in WS at 11:00 when it opens. Look at the times guide before getting over there, check out times of the street performers, and work out a schedule that will allow to see them all. Also, make a lunch reservation for one of the WS restaurants in advance.

As for Future World, be there at opening, get a fastpass for Soarin, run right over to Test Track. See Seas with Nemo, Imagination, Living with the Land, use FP for Soarin, go on Mission Space if you want to get sick, then head over to World Showcase. Hit Spaceship Earth on the way out.
    Offsite - 2x
    AS Sports
    AS Music
    AS Movies - 9x
    Pop Century - 3x
    Caribbean Beach Resort
    Riverside
    Old Key West
    Wilderness Lodge - 7x
    Polynesian - 4x
    Grand Floridian - 2x
    Beach Club
    Yacht Club
    Boardwalk
    Wilderness Lodge - January 2014
    Boardwalk - July 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinxmom View Post
    Kids are 18, 18, 15, 13 and 9. I figure the older ones will go off on their own a lot this trip. Heard about Kim Possible - what age would that appeal to?
    My son was 7 and loved the Kim Possible missions. I am 33 and on multiple occasions wanted to grab the "Kimmunicator" and run off and do my own mission, it was so COOL! I highly recommend it, and I'm sure the older kids will like it too.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: