Quantcast Hard of Hearing/Deaf

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hard of Hearing/Deaf

Dawn and I(Diane), have profound hearing loss. Has anyone here ever utilized the strobe light/bed vibrating thing in case of emergencies at your resort? Our brother will be w/us and uses a c-pap machine. We know for sure none of us girls or him will be able to hear anything at night. Denise and our brother Teddy have moderate hearing loss. I was also wondering about the hearing devices you can use at all 4 parks. I believe it may be a great idea for Teddy. I have hearing aids and we 3 girls sign alot.

Thanks so very much for your help!

Dawn,Denise&Diane
    New trip in the works! Can't wait to get back! WDW a little piece of heaven here on earth!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping that someone will come along with some information for you Diane!

In the meantime, you might find this link from Disneyworld.com useful.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thankyou Jennifer! We appreciate you!!!

Diane
    New trip in the works! Can't wait to get back! WDW a little piece of heaven here on earth!

Post Thanks / Like

Diane,

I didn't see any further info to your question. I know a lot of the shows at WDW now use the "mirror" technology where they have the words to the shows projected behind you. If you have a small mirror you can read it over your shoulder while still watching the show. I thought that was pretty cool.

As for the bed shaking/strobe thing, haven't talked to anyone who used it at the parks, but my Aunt uses it at home and it's worked really well for her. Hope you get all the info you need!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks so much for the heads up on the mirror technology!! We really appreciate your help!

Dawn,Denise&Diane

Post Thanks / Like

My bff has significant hearing loss and utilizes the mirror technology at all of the shows that have it. She loves it. She has had a few issues with suprise noises that will blow out her hearing aid batteries, but she has now learned to keep spares with her, just in case. I do recall the last time we went to the resort that the room we stayed in had a strobe fire alarm. It went off once while we happened to be in the room.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for your help! I didn't even think about exactly how MANY hearing aide batteries I may need! WOW! I wonder which rides blew her batteries.... I am so glad you mentioned this because I am going to make sure we are WELL PREPARED!!
    We have used the mirror thing at our local movie theatre but they are HUGE and they don't bend well. We usually just wait until the movie comes out on video for closed captioning. Do you know if it is a big thing?
    Thanks to all who have helped us. We appreciate all of the wonderful Intercot family!

Dawn,Denise&Diane

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've seen of other people using the mirrors, they're about the size of a rearview mirror in a car and I *think* they're on a little stick that you can hold.
    Here's a link on all the different reflective & handheld captioning you can get at WDW.
    http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/pla...-disabilities/
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much!!!

Dawn,Denise&Diane

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Dawn,DeniseandDiane;1964819]Thanks for your help! I didn't even think about exactly how MANY hearing aide batteries I may need! WOW! I wonder which rides blew her batteries.... I am so glad you mentioned this because I am going to make sure we are WELL PREPARED!!

Batteries. Ha! I went through a lot at WDW. I thought it was because of the Humidity. Take a lot from home. I bought some there and they did not last more than 3-4 days each instead of the 7-10 I am used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks LVT and all for your help! I bought about 30 batteries for our 8 day trip. I hope it is enough! I am really looking forward to being able to hear alot of things at WDW that, I haven't heard or "caught" before.

Dawn,Denise&Diane

Post Thanks / Like

The mirror tech or reflective caption is great I have minor hearing loss but in bigger shows I can't make much out so I use it is great. I have been to a few live shows and had interpreters, and they are wonderful. As far as the room alarm it was there I never used it thankfully just make sure to include a note on your ressie about HoH and they will be more than accomadating. From personal experiance they had two CM's at Pop who sign, don't kniw if they are still there but its on their name tag. Have a great trip!
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: