Quantcast Fantasyland Refurb: It's Official! - Page 16

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW! So many things to comment on here and I'm sure I'll forget some things...

• I'm not sure how to feel about this expansion. I'm kind of on the fence. I kind of agree with the whole "it's for girls" thing but I also think it could be really neat. A lot of things to like here and I'm sure my girls will love it some day. However I'm not sure how my son will like it. Hopefully he'll be like his old man and just appreciate the workmanship that Disney puts into something like this and appreciate the classics. Hopefully I'll be able to get him out to DCA so he can see Cars Land when that is done as he LOVES Cars.

• I'm very excited about the Star Tours redo. It's needed that for years. Hopefully they don't make it too Ep 1 centric and keep the classic stuff in there, too. I would think they could do this in phases, too, closing half the attraction to update it then the other when the first is done.

• Don't discount the power of Harry Potter. Those books and movies haven't made BILLIONS of dollars because it's not very popular. I know we're going there next August and will spend 2 or 3 days at Universal to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (and everything else they've added in the past 10 years) and I can guarentee you there are LOTS of Potter-philes out there who will be doing the same. Just because you may not be a fan, don't discount how many there are out there. This expansion to IoA will be VERY popular.

• Don't mind the Dumbo move, as long as it's kept outside. Think the new queue and two rides will be great to keep people entertained and moving. Also, what they will (or at least SHOULD) do is keep the current Dumbo attraction open while they are building the new one.

• Would love a Cars overlay (or mini Cars Land) for the Speedway.

That's all I have for now. Very excited about all these new changes. I guess we'll see the construction walls when we are there next year but we'll look forward to seeing the results the next time we go down there again.
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm REALLY excited about the expansion! I'm just worried about Disney losing sight of how all this got started: with Mickey Mouse. I hope they save Mickey and Minnie's houses and put them somewhere special. I'm 22 years old and I still love to visit their houses! Has anyone heard if they are planning to relocate them?
    Here you leave Today, and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

D23 Charter Member
    WDW AP

20+ trips to Walt Disney World and counting since 1992!!
    1 trip to Disneyland, CA (2007)

Upcoming trips:
    Disneyland September 2012 &
    Walt Disney World November 2012 & February 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Okay ... as a Father to both a boy and a girl, I gotta say ... this is not some quasi-PC gender neutrality issue. The point is 90% of boys aren't going to want to stand in line to meet Cinderella. Period.

Folks are simply commenting on the fact that the new Fantasyland seems to be particularly slanted towards things that will interest girls significantly more than boys. Yes, I'm sure there's a handful of boys out there that want their picture taken with Sleeping Beauty, but I think almost everyone would agree that they would be in the distinct minority.

Remember, the forum is called "News, Rumors, and Imagineering!"

I don't completly disagree with your statement here. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is possible for boys to find enjoyment in Fantaslyand even if it is heavily princess themed. I have son so maybe in 10 years or so I'll be proven wrong.

Also I often thought of Fantaslyand as being more geared towards girls anyway so I didn't feel that the new addition is that out of character.

It would cool though if they could add an Indiana Jones ride to Adventureland like the one they have DL.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I suggested it be incorporated into Fantasyland.

But really ... can you please tell me what's "fantasy-like tomorrow" about the Speedway as it is?? This seems like sort of an odd objection to raise over an attraction that has never fit into the land in which it sits.
    Nothing about it is. I didn't say the Speedway is fine the way it is...just that a Cars update should be the last way to go. Would it be cool to drive around Lightning McQueen or Mater? Yes, my son would love it. It just doesn't fit within Tomorrowland. Fantasyland...yeah, maybe. I just don't see how that fits in there either...though it could be done...it would just be a bit of a stretch.

IMHO, the Speedway takes up a lot of space and any number of things could go there instead.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the bright colors of "Cars" would fit nicely into Tomorrowland. All they have to do is change the bodies and maybe add a little theming around the track.

The Speedway as it is now is not futuristic to me. It almost is a nostalgic look at the past indycar racing, except for the few signs that make it look like the races of 2050 or whatever year they are have already been run.

I have never really thought of Tomorrowland as the future, but more of a Space-land anyway. Alien Encounter/Stitch, Space Mountain, Astro Orbiter, Buzz, Cosmic Rays, and even the TTA are all references to space travel.
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyglamour View Post
    I'm REALLY excited about the expansion! I'm just worried about Disney losing sight of how all this got started: with Mickey Mouse. I hope they save Mickey and Minnie's houses and put them somewhere special. I'm 22 years old and I still love to visit their houses! Has anyone heard if they are planning to relocate them?
    Toontown was always meant to be temporary. It was rotting away, and really a sore sight to be seen.

As for where they are going to go? No where yet. Toontown won't be taken down this soon. However, Main Street USA is the place Mickey and Minnie will wind up. That is the one area they would fit and should be.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Also I often thought of Fantaslyand as being more geared towards girls anyway so I didn't feel that the new addition is that out of character.
    I actually agree with you there. Although my son's two favorite rides are Peter Pan and Small World and they're both in Fantasyland. Then again he's 2, so ...

I guess what I was thinking is ... they're spending billions to redo the entire land. Couldn't they have tried to right an old wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    It just doesn't fit within Tomorrowland. Fantasyland...yeah, maybe. I just don't see how that fits in there either...though it could be done...it would just be a bit of a stretch.
    Why would it be a stretch? Do you anticipate a time some day in the future when we have anthropomorphic cars that talk to us? If not, they're a lot more appropriate in "Fanatsy"land than they are in "Tomorow"land!

Just kidding, but you get what I mean.

IMHO, the Speedway takes up a lot of space and any number of things could go there instead.
    This is a different issue, though. You're saying they should just bulldoze the entire site and install something more appropriate to Tomorrowland.

I'm operating under the assumption that it's one of the most popular attractions on property (what little kid doesn't want to drive a car???) and will never go away, so let's see if we can just spruce it up and move it somewhere where it fits better.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to disagree with all of those who think a Cars overlay to Speedway will be a good move. Cars belongs in Pixar Place, if anywhere. Don't rule it out for Backlot replacement. Personally, they should remove the speedway, and before this expansion is complete, make that whole area WONDERLAND. The tea cups are already over there. The Speedway can be replaced by an Alice dark ride (the cartoon not Tim Butron's version obviously). Just not sure how Dumbo's Flying Circus area will hurt an idea like that.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

My 18 year old DD will be THRILLED about the Little Mermaid addition!

As for the other areas, they're not that thrilling to me but I know that they will be fantastic. It's always nice to look forward to something new at WDW.

For those naysayers regarding boys liking Cinderella, I relate the following story:

We were on the bus returning back to our resort one evening with a family. They had a little boy who looked about four years old. His mom was talking about his reaction when he saw Cinderella for the very first time:

"Oooohhh, I want to hug that!"

**mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    I'm going to disagree with all of those who think a Cars overlay to Speedway will be a good move. Cars belongs in Pixar Place, if anywhere. Don't rule it out for Backlot replacement.
    Ditto.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Why would it be a stretch? Do you anticipate a time some day in the future when we have anthropomorphic cars that talk to us? If not, they're a lot more appropriate in "Fanatsy"land than they are in "Tomorow"land!

Just kidding, but you get what I mean.
    I get what you mean. I meant the position of the Speedway relative to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. I don't see how you could incorporate Cars into Fantasyland since it takes up a big portion of Tomorrowland. I suppose you could move the entrance closer to the Tea Party area or something, but then you'd have this whole section of Tomorrowland that overlooks a huge Cars attraction that is part of Fantasyland.

This is a different issue, though. You're saying they should just bulldoze the entire site and install something more appropriate to Tomorrowland.

I'm operating under the assumption that it's one of the most popular attractions on property (what little kid doesn't want to drive a car???) and will never go away, so let's see if we can just spruce it up and move it somewhere where it fits better.
    Right, I kind of threw that in there as an after thought. I don't know...what is the popularity for that ride? I've never taken my kids on it because I've never felt the wait time is worth it.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to reiterate one of my points from my post for clarification. I am not against change nor am I against them making things that "appeal to little girls". Even though I have a little boy I have a feeling he will enjoy CRT when we go in december with my niece because he will enjoy the interaction with friendly people (the princess characters). But the part of me that is a feminist just wishes that disney would encourage slightly different "dreams" and "fantasies" for little girls than princesses. I know its all make believe but if I have a girl I would want her to see more than princesses who are waiting for their prince to come. I love disney as a company and often admire their marketing, but its waaaaay to obvious with the princesses. and if they are doing what is selling, they need to remember that they actually influence what is selling as well, maybe more than most companies.

So I just wanted to clarify the for me its not about little girl stuff vs little boy. Its princesses vs other types of "role models". (I'm not refering to the real royal kind who may have responsibilities but to the disney ones who lay sleeping or sweeping floors until the prince makes it all better). I will say that at least belle shows how to look beyond appearances.

I'm unfamiliar with the pixie franchise so I can't comment.
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Post Thanks / Like

But the part of me that is a feminist just wishes that disney would encourage slightly different "dreams" and "fantasies" for little girls than princesses. I know its all make believe but if I have a girl I would want her to see more than princesses who are waiting for their prince to come.
    I totally agree. [cynical] I like the princesses, and I realize that some of them are very proactive and good role models (though, let's be honest, 3 of the 4 they're discussing building attractions for were, due to their time periods, very classic feminine stereotypes of princesses). And yes, being a princess has a magical and wonderful aspect to it. But...there should be other things that girls should be able to aspire to and see as magical, and that's not well represented in Disney right now. Judging by these plans, that isn't changing anytime soon. Yes, I know girls can be pirates too, but I can't honestly say I see Disney's Pirates or Star Wars attractions and events targeting and marketing to girls in the same way the princess empire does. And while I don't object to the BBB, I sort of miss the time when girls didn't have to dress up in princess dresses, wear make-up, and have sparkly hair to feel like a princess in the MK. [/cynical]

That being said, the new attractions sound fun, and I would probably try them out at least once. Glad Belle is included, because she is my ultimate Disney heroine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mousetrapper View Post
    For those naysayers regarding boys liking Cinderella, I relate the following story:

We were on the bus returning back to our resort one evening with a family. They had a little boy who looked about four years old. His mom was talking about his reaction when he saw Cinderella for the very first time:

"Oooohhh, I want to hug that!"

That is a great quote!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    I'm going to disagree with all of those who think a Cars overlay to Speedway will be a good move. Cars belongs in Pixar Place, if anywhere. Don't rule it out for Backlot replacement. Personally, they should remove the speedway, and before this expansion is complete, make that whole area WONDERLAND. The tea cups are already over there. The Speedway can be replaced by an Alice dark ride (the cartoon not Tim Butron's version obviously). Just not sure how Dumbo's Flying Circus area will hurt an idea like that.
    Huh ... yeah, I can't really get on board with that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really see Alice in Wonderland as being one of their more popular or marketable properties. Reason being, young girls today may watch the classic Disney princess movies like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, but I don't think many of them are exposed to the older Disney films like Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, or even Dumbo. I definitely don't see Wonderland being a strong enough franchise to anchor an entire area of Magic Kingdom.

I don't know...what is the popularity for that ride? I've never taken my kids on it because I've never felt the wait time is worth it.
    Wow! Count yourself lucky! It's very popular ... the lines typically mirror what you see for something like Peter Pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment78 View Post
    But the part of me that is a feminist just wishes that disney would encourage slightly different "dreams" and "fantasies" for little girls than princesses. I know its all make believe but if I have a girl I would want her to see more than princesses who are waiting for their prince to come.
    Okay, but in fairness it's called "Fantasyland" ... No little girl's fantasy at age 6 is to grow up to be a welder or something. I mean what are they going to make an attraction out of becoming CEO of a Fortune 500 Company?

Let's retain a little perspective here ... it's a theme park. It's a place for fun and whimsy and wonder ... leave the real world out of it. They'll be plenty of time for that later in life.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you Figment! Disney really could make strong, smart, gorgeous princesses sort of the way Harry Potter's Hermione is a smart, loyal, brave witch with cool guys competing for her affection. Fantasy can inspire us all. Real imagination is not drenching us in Pepto Bismal Pink and fake satin. Let's have Imagineering not Marketeering. I adore Disney World, but feel like some key decision makers need to actually find a vision of what the Disney brand could be instead of rehashing the same things that worked (sold) in decades past. Disney seems to be looking forward on environmental issues (hopefully not just to sell green themed products) wouldn't it be great if Disney was truly imaginative in its vision for the true potential of our children?
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I get what you mean. I meant the position of the Speedway relative to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. I don't see how you could incorporate Cars into Fantasyland since it takes up a big portion of Tomorrowland. I suppose you could move the entrance closer to the Tea Party area or something, but then you'd have this whole section of Tomorrowland that overlooks a huge Cars attraction that is part of Fantasyland.
    I see your point with the speedway overlapping with Tomorrowland if it was re-themed and the entrance place closer to Fantasyland. However consider this: The Matterhorn has never moved but it was originally located in Tomorrowland...now its in Fantasyland. Also the re-theming of the speedway could incorporate rock structure that hides it from Tomorrowland.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a little something to chew on... Tommorowland Speedway is really a "kids" ride... and to a kid... Driving a REAL car is in the future to them...
    SorcererJim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Oh, and Ian - if I was king, the cars overlay would be done by tomorrow. I don't understand how they can ignore the natural fit. I know it's supposed to be the "tomorrowland" speedway, but that was always shaky to begin with
    Actually, I don't see why they can't go ahead and do the entire Carsland at Disney World. I realize this might mean going outside the current train tracks/berm but what is wrong with that? Yes, you would have to create a new barrier so that guests would not see what is going on outside the park but if it was done before it should be able to be done now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    I totally agree with you Figment! Disney really could make strong, smart, gorgeous princesses sort of the way Harry Potter's Hermione is a smart, loyal, brave witch with cool guys competing for her affection. Fantasy can inspire us all. Real imagination is not drenching us in Pepto Bismal Pink and fake satin. Let's have Imagineering not Marketeering. I adore Disney World, but feel like some key decision makers need to actually find a vision of what the Disney brand could be instead of rehashing the same things that worked (sold) in decades past. Disney seems to be looking forward on environmental issues (hopefully not just to sell green themed products) wouldn't it be great if Disney was truly imaginative in its vision for the true potential of our children?
    Thank you for mentioning Hermione! I completely forgot about her. She is a fantastic little girl!

And I understand its just fun and not reality and they are young, but when I was that age I was exposed to childrens books written about great inventors and doctors and it was done in a cool way. And some were men and some were women. I'm not saying make rides about real historic women. I'm saying I can't believe that disney can't come up with newer role models for little girls. I never said welders or ceo's. They are supposed to be masters of imagination! fantasy doesn't have to be about people either. It can just be about whimsical "impossible" experiences too - something fantastical and stretching the imagination. Lots of adults go to fantasyland too (without kids).
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: