Quantcast Rude People In The Hall Of Presidents!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rude People In The Hall Of Presidents!

Since i just read the rude people in the hm thread, i thought id start my own gripe. Last September while watching the hall of presidents with my dw dd9 and ds7, they were naming all of the presidents and when they got to George W Bush some people in the audience started booing , only for a second though because the whole place erupted into clapping . I just don't get it, all politics aside he is the President of the United States and no matter how you feel about him he still deserves respect, no matter my political leanings or my personal approval of a certain president i would never boo his name anywhere much less an attraction in wdw!
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't we discuss this incident before? I remember a HOP Bush bashing thread a while back.

Because of that, I did mention that on opening day of the new HOP, I noticed there didn't seem to be any type of disturbance during the naming of the presidents (Bush or Obama, or even Nixon, or Clinton, or whoever). Which I found encouraging...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAJUNKING View Post
    Since i just read the rude people in the hm thread, i thought id start my own gripe. Last September while watching the hall of presidents with my dw dd9 and ds7, they were naming all of the presidents and when they got to George W Bush some people in the audience started booing , only for a second though because the whole place erupted into clapping . I just don't get it, all politics aside he is the President of the United States and no matter how you feel about him he still deserves respect, no matter my political leanings or my personal approval of a certain president i would never boo his name anywhere much less an attraction in wdw!
    Nope, he WAS...past tense...we have a new Commander in Chief last time I checked.

You have to admit last Sept. was a politically charged time, right before the election, tensions and opinions were high.

But your right, it was tacky....any form of booing anywhere is terribly negative and tacky.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

That is so annoying! Don't people realize they are animatronics? What good does it do to boo them? Why do people have to ruin the experience for everyone?

I love HoP,it one of my favorite attractions, because I love American History. I would be so mad if were ruined for me like that.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney's not immune to people acting and behaving badly. Line jumping, cursing in front of children, jumping in front of you at the parade, plopping down in the middle of the theater...I've witnessed all of these over the years.

All you can do is show a good example for your kids or those around you and try to ignore the rest.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine once told me, "It is what it is." No matter what/where/or who, there is always somebody who likes or dislikes something. It's silly to boo animatronics, I agree. But isn't the foundation of what our country was built on...the basic right to express our opinion. Unfortunately it is normally at the expense of others. We love HoP and the history behind. I get goose bumps when they all come to life. At the cost of getting smacked by DW, I have told rude people to be quiet at this exhibit, in particular. If they would be quiet and listen, they may just learn something this time around, it's obvious most didn't the first time..or they wouldn't be so rude.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAJUNKING View Post
    all politics aside he is the President of the United States and no matter how you feel about him he still deserves respect
    I don't think people should boo at WDW and this reflects not at all on my feelings about GWB, but I couldn't disagree more with this statement.

Simply getting elected president doesn't automatically mean someone earns the respect of the electorate. In fact, given the considerable power a president has, his actions can easily earn him a great deal of disrespect should he seriously cause harm to the country. I don't have respect for James Buchanan, for example, because of the atrocious administration he ran (I'll put enough time between us and a bad president so as not to enflame passions!).

Normally I have respect for ministers, to use an analogy, but would not respect a minister who was stealing from the church coffers...simply because he had the title of "minister."
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

SFTrny Guest

I've never seen or understood the point of publicly bashing any President. It's fair to express an opinion or perspective in the appropriate environment, but boo'ing or bashing just seems silly. I mean...the President does represent all of us (US citizens, that is). And he was elected by all of us. Yes...even if you didn't personally vote for him, he still was elected by the nation as a whole - and we are all a part of that. So you are in effect "boo'ing" yourself, the country, and the electoral process that brought the president into office. By publicly bashing him, you are effectively criticizing everyone who did vote for him - and to a degree, everyone who didn't vote at all. So that would be the majority of any general sampling of the population.

I would think that it would be possible that the people who were boo'ing were not US citizens, which means that they are exempt from the criteria above....but that would just make them rude guests.

What I am happy about is that the crowd recognized the situation and started clapping - probably not for GWB, but more in opposition to the boo'ing. I am glad to see that we are generally better behaved and that the rude people are the exception!

Post Thanks / Like

I think bashing a President is wrong, but criticism of a president and his policies is what this country is about. If you do not agree with what they are doing, the constitution gives us the right to voice our opinions. And frankly, I would not want it any other way.
    However, I don't think Disney and booing is the proper place to do so.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    I don't have respect for James Buchanan, for example, because of the atrocious administration he ran (I'll put enough time between us and a bad president so as not to enflame passions!).
    So now I finally know the identity of the scallywag who booed James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson on our last trip to the HOP.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    So now I finally know the identity of the scallywag who booed James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson on our last trip to the HOP.
    Yeah and that Zacahry Taylor still makes my blood boil too

hopefully we will be there in 6 months and i will remain silent thruout the whole show so my wife doesnt remain furious with me for the rest of the day. I may mutter a few unmentionables under my breath however LOL

Of course I got into a political argumet with a stranger in a diner once so she never knows what I might do in public
    Last edited by Melanie; 07-23-2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Implied language
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

Default I noticed it too...

I guess that might mean something.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad, Sad, Sad

Some people are just plain low-lives. If you disrespect a president to that extent, you are ONLY disrespecting your country and shouldn't live in the USA. Where are our values????

Try boooing Obama's animatronic and it would become prime time news.

People who are against G.W.Bush need to start showing more respect for a guy who protected them after 9/11. How quick we forget what happened on that day.....SAD, SAD, SAD.
    '82-WDW
    '87-Pol
    '88-Pol
    '89-GF
    '00-CB
    '01-Dis. Wonder/Pol
    '02-GF
    '04-WDW/Coro
    '05Pop
    '06-Pop
    '08-DL Paris
    '08-GF / Coro
    '09-Contem
    '10-DL/Anaheim
    '10-WDW/GF
    '11-WDW/Pol, Contem

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" -Saint Augustine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marceline View Post
    Nope, he WAS...past tense...we have a new Commander in Chief last time I checked.
    Last time I checked it's called the Hall Of Presidents, not Hall Of Obama and the Former Presidents. Plus, I'm with ya Michael Mouse; dissing BHO is very very taboo.
    All-Star Sports

Let's Go.........Mountaineers !!!

Post Thanks / Like

As a visitor from Scotland with a sarcastic temprement, it is sometimes very tempting to say something in a staged whisper to my sister at AA or HOP, in fun of course. But itry not to because while we are all entitled to our own opinions, there are proper forums for these, and evry one deserves respect. Booing would be so inappropriate, and doesn't accomplish anything. so leave it outside the park entrance.
    Lifes a witch and then you fly

Post Thanks / Like

You respect the office, even if you don't respect the person who holds the office.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Lol...

And did you notice that my spit ball narrowly missed him!
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

I do not begrudge anyone who wants to voice their distaste for a president, but booing an animatronic show just seems silly and is inconsiderate of the other guests who are trying to enjoy the show. I would guess that the OP's negative experience had a lot to do with the political climate at the time given that we were in an election year with strong emotions on both sides. That doesn't make it okay, but I don't think we have to worry about disruptions at HOP all the time. Personally I am more worried about the "president always deserves respect" crowd. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMouse View Post

Try boooing Obama's animatronic and it would become prime time news.
    cnn would have a whole news team in the magic kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseneer View Post
    Last time I checked it's called the Hall Of Presidents, not Hall Of Obama and the Former Presidents. Plus, I'm with ya Michael Mouse; dissing BHO is very very taboo.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    You respect the office, even if you don't respect the person who holds the office.
    that was my original point, there are some presidents i really dont care for, but to boo them out loud in a theme park attraction is a little ignorant
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the Jimmy Carter animatronic was booed during his rough stretch?

I wish they would give speaking roles to some of the lesser known presidents....the really good ones like maybe Polk. The appreciation we give him for actually not running for re-election after accomplishing his goals in four years is to forget about him.

woah sorry abou the soap box Anywho,
    my wife swore that one or two of them were real last time we were there
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: