Quantcast Characters in Flight balloon ride (Merged Threads)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I really want to do this balloon ride when we go on vacation next week - but I went ahead and read the article posted. It really wasn't that bad of an issue. the balloon didn't crash and there were only minor injuries. Disney seems to already have some contingency plans for when there are winds - either it goes up with less people or it doesn't go up at all. The wind gusts just caught the balloon in the above article off guard. It had been operating since 2001 with no other incidents.

I don't believe Disney of all companies would put this out there if they didn't feel they could operate it safely

also it is NOT a traditional basket that you go up in. It is a large circle that is like a walkway a few feet wide. there is a wall part way up and then netting so you are not looking out or able to lean over or anything. you have to look out between the holes in the netting.

For anyone that wants to check out what the whole ride is like from start to finish check out the Jeff Lange web page - he has videos up of the take off, while it is up in the air, and the landing. It is a pretty awesome view up there.

If I end up doing it next week I will post when we get back!!!

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

disneyfan328, I can't wait to hear of your experience!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

This seems like a lot of fun!! It would be really neat to see fireworks going off while you are up there!
    * Yacht Club * Pop Century * WDW Dolphin * Beach Club * Port Orleans French Quarter * Old Key West *

Next trip:
    November 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort - Wine and Dine Half Marathon

February 2014 Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Just back. Saw the balloon, didn't get a chance to do it due to wind conditions. It goes up very high. The view must be incredible. Our first night, we had a room overlooking Downtown Disney at the Hilton. We couldn't believe that we could see Epcot, the Contemporary, Tower of Terror all around us, too. We watched the balloon going up and down (and fireworks all around the world, IllumiNations and Wishes), and that balloon went up higher than our top floor balcony. It stopped at night before fireworks, but again, I think it was a wind thing.

I'm contemplating Lisa's earlier question about going up day or night. After seeing the potential views at both times of day, I think you can't go wrong either way. It would be pretty awesome in light or dark, so it really just depends on when you plan to hit Downtown Disney and if the conditions are agreeable. It's incredibly large and they seem to be very cautious about potential wind.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this from our resort last Tuesday. I had no idea what it was! Now I know..........
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last weekend and saw the balloon from the boat from OKW. It was not operating due to wind conditions. My 10 yr old dd was very disappointed. She said "it's not even windy!", so they are definitely erring on the side of caution, unlike the Baltimore one. I had not yet heard anything about it, so I did some research, on here, as well as other sites. Can't wait to try it in August! I do believe it will be closed frequently, however, due to conditions in these parts.
    Check out my pics, maps and brochures from 1975 on my home page!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: