Quantcast Adventurer's Club Rumors? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Sooooooo....essentially, you are just making up numbers? I mean, over 8000 petitioned to have the club saved. That 8,000 a year, at $22 a pop, plus however many drinks, lets say 2 @ 9.00 (a Kungaloosh was $9 and change so $20 for drinks and tips)..... = $3,520,000 a year.
    1) Most of the time I agree with you.
    2) But, this time there are gaps in thinking.
    3) You have forgot to deduct
    . . . manpower hourly rates
    . . . manpower fringes (about 160% of pay)
    . . . building/land depreciation
    . . . building maintenance-repairs-replacements
    . . . lights
    . . . heat and air conditioning
    . . . water and sewer
    . . . natural gas
    . . . mortgage principle-interest-taxes
    . . . insurance
    . . . food and booze wholesale costs
    . . . overhead, management
    . . . overhead, general
    . . . etc
    . . . etc
    4) After all this, the profit now is quite small.
    5) The profit-per-square-foot was never realized at PI.
    6) Eateries and shops bring in more per sq.

NOTE: PI was a good ideal that was poorly developed and poorly managed. They tried to get to good on City Walk and failed miserably - just like trying to beat Universal with MGM Studios.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If World of Disney is making huge profits, what's the one thing you shouldn't do? Building another WoD perhaps? If the 3rd party restaurants on West Side underperform, what's the one thing you shouldn't do? Adding more 3rd party restaurants. And to top it all, they're adding low capacity copies of Disneyland Paris attractions, like a balloon ride...
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    If World of Disney is making huge profits, what's the one thing you shouldn't do? Building another WoD perhaps? If the 3rd party restaurants on West Side underperform, what's the one thing you shouldn't do? Adding more 3rd party restaurants. And to top it all, they're adding low capacity copies of Disneyland Paris attractions, like a balloon ride...
    there's absolutely no indication that the restaurants on the West Side underperform whatsoever....

In fact...they're are much more crowded on a slow day than the adventrure's club ever was on it's busiest night....

Even planet hollywood does good business....and it is so bad that EVERY other location on earth has closed.....

Virgin Megastore....Cirque....Disneyquest underperfom....

but you don't find alot of empty chairs at those restaurants....

Remember this as well.....the new restaurants are geared just as much towards the local population as they are towards WDW travelers.....because the locals will go to downtown.....but they stay away from the more interior properties during large chunks of the year....the "busy" seasons (pretty much every month but may and september at this point)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    there's absolutely no indication that the restaurants on the West Side underperform whatsoever....
    I know from personal experience and observation, that PH, Bongos and Wolfgang Puck were much more crowded a couple of years ago. I had to use my PH VIP pass almost every time to get the first available table instead of waiting 45-60 minutes. Lines at WP were 3-4 times bigger. It is very well possible that these restaurants outperform any bar at PI, but by removing the bars and adding more (3rd party) restaurants and shops you'll only lose what made WDW special; what's left is what you can find in any major city.
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

lockedoutlogic Guest

I know from personal experience and observation, that PH, Bongos and Wolfgang Puck were much more crowded a couple of years ago. I had to use my PH VIP pass almost every time to get the first available table instead of waiting 45-60 minutes. Lines at WP were 3-4 times bigger. It is very well possible that these restaurants outperform any bar at PI, but by removing the bars and adding more (3rd party) restaurants and shops you'll only lose what made WDW special; what's left is what you can find in any major city.
    I'm with you on this one....

But it's still not too much of a guess to say that the restaurants....even with diminished crowds.....outperform any of the PI Clubs 99% of the time......and i'm only giving them 99% to give the appearance that there is somekind of benefit of the doubt

The driving motivations for WDW are pretty simple:

1. Revenue
    2. Lack of operational costs (and it's a pretty distant second place.....enough revenue would override this guy in a heartbeat......obviously PI didn't fall into this category)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

but by removing the bars and adding more (3rd party) restaurants and shops you'll only lose what made WDW special; what's left is what you can find in any major city.

And that's exactly what matters. Joker's right on here. If WDW eliminates its own uniqueness, they eliminate what draws the crowds. It's the fact that WDW offers so much that is unique, like AC, or any of it's brand hotels, that drives people to pay the higher prices to vacation on property at WDW.

If WDW continues with this move towards outsourcing they're diminishing the uniqueness and the 'magic' in favor of the bottom line, I think the customers will act in kind and stop paying premium prices for something that is becoming more and more like the competition.......

77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    And that's exactly what matters. Joker's right on here. If WDW eliminates its own uniqueness, they eliminate what draws the crowds. It's the fact that WDW offers so much that is unique, like AC, or any of it's brand hotels, that drives people to pay the higher prices to vacation on property at WDW.

If WDW continues with this move towards outsourcing they're diminishing the uniqueness and the 'magic' in favor of the bottom line, I think the customers will act in kind and stop paying premium prices for something that is becoming more and more like the competition.......

WDW crowds will not suffer by any measurable statistic after eliminating PI.....

Sure WDW is "unique"...but PI is not what gets people there....it was always window dressing....like disneyquest or rivercountry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    WDW crowds will not suffer by any measurable statistic after eliminating PI.....

Sure WDW is "unique"...but PI is not what gets people there....it was always window dressing....like disneyquest or rivercountry
    Agreed, but they're removing PI in favor of NON-Disney brand is the point. The outsourcing is the problem that will cause the crowds to suffer.......
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, but they're removing PI in favor of NON-Disney brand is the point. The outsourcing is the problem that will cause the crowds to suffer.......
    Ok, I don't follow. Why would the crowds suffer? Cirque du Soleil (La Nouba), Rain Forest Cafe, Fulton's, T-Rex, Raglan Road, Portabello, House of Blues, Wolfgang Puck's, Earl of Sandwich, Basin, and others are all Non-Disney brand and seem to do well. So, what would be different about additional non-Disney shops and restaurants?
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Ok, I don't follow. Why would the crowds suffer? Cirque du Soleil (La Nouba), Rain Forest Cafe, Fulton's, T-Rex, Raglan Road, Portabello, House of Blues, Wolfgang Puck's, Earl of Sandwich, Basin, and others are all Non-Disney brand and seem to do well. So, what would be different about additional non-Disney shops and restaurants?
    Why not get rid of all Disney shops??????? You don't see this as a problem? Get rid of Disney and you're no longer visiting DISNEY World....

The problem is; "what's next?" How much of WDW will disappear in favor of a 3rd party in the future? Where does it end? Will the powers that be outsource all hotel operations at some point in order to save dollars? The parks?

Should it be considered abnormal for a WDW fan to be disturbed by outsourcing to NON-Disney entities? I like Walt Disney because it's "Disney", a brand I've come to know, respect and trust. A brand that is the standard of the best quality.

Don't you think there is some point that WDW goers in general will begin to notice? Obviously people here, have.

Does anyone go to WDW for the 3rd party businesses that have moved in?????

77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Why not get rid of all Disney shops??????? You don't see this as a problem? Get rid of Disney and you're no longer visiting DISNEY World....

The problem is; "what's next?" How much of WDW will disappear in favor of a 3rd party in the future? Where does it end? Will the powers that be outsource all hotel operations at some point in order to save dollars? The parks?

Should it be considered abnormal for a WDW fan to be disturbed by outsourcing to NON-Disney entities? I like Walt Disney because it's "Disney", a brand I've come to know, respect and trust. A brand that is the standard of the best quality.

Don't you think there is some point that WDW goers in general will begin to notice? Obviously people here, have.

Does anyone go to WDW for the 3rd party businesses that have moved in?????

My comment wasn't about any of this or there being potential problems. It was about why this would impact on the crowds at Downtown Disney. It hasn't so far so why would more cause crowds to go down at Downtown Disney?

Disney will not outsource theme parks or its core business so I'm not at all worried about the watering down of that which is really why people go. But Downtown Disney is really just a large mall. As long as there is the Disney Store and other Disney shopping outlets I don't see at all what the problem is of other stores being there. You don't go all the way to WDW just for DTD.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I can see both sides of the argument here, but I think when it comes to PI it's not as big a deal.

I don't really think PI (since they eliminated the admission fee) has been about the guests. It's about cast and locals. I've been to PI ... trust me ... 80% of the people there were clearly not vacationers. In fact, a large percentage of them appeared to be ex-convicts (some possibly escaped convicts! .

I know a lot of people loved AC ... I did, too, but I almost never went. I mean really ... I have two kids and I'm certain a large percentage of WDW visitors have kids, too. You can't take them to PI, so you're sort of by default not visiting. Not to mention the fact that you're already getting up at the crack of dawn and traipsing around the parks all day long. I'm beat by the end of the day! I can't go out partying!

I just think PI was an idea that had run its course. And really, Disney can't find enough qualified CM's as it is. It can only help them if they reduce the number of positions they have to fill.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I know a lot of people loved AC ... I did, too, but I almost never went. I mean really ... I have two kids and I'm certain a large percentage of WDW visitors have kids, too.
    There's you're biggest problem. I don't have kids, I thought AC was cool and I hardly ever went. Why? There are so many things to do. It is completely plausible the PI is a victim of the other successes at WDW. Think about it, how many more choices do you have on property than you did when PI first opened? Even on a long trip you run out of time to do everything. Somewhere along the line actually sleeping becomes an issue.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I know a lot of people loved AC ... I did, too, but I almost never went. I mean really ... I have two kids and I'm certain a large percentage of WDW visitors have kids, too. You can't take them to PI, so you're sort of by default not visiting. Not to mention the fact that you're already getting up at the crack of dawn and traipsing around the parks all day long. I'm beat by the end of the day! I can't go out partying!

I too loved the AC and CW but we rarely made it over to PI especially after we had our DS. Clubs are not kid friendly, and so many of us go to WDW with our families. That's why I would love to see an AC restaurant that the whole family could enjoy.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post

I too loved the AC and CW but we rarely made it over to PI especially after we had our DS. Clubs are not kid friendly, and so many of us go to WDW with our families. That's why I would love to see an AC restaurant that the whole family could enjoy.
    See but everyone says that and you always could have brought your children to the club. It wasn't the type of club that allowed the sort of trouble that BET or Mannequins or the other clubs there did. The performers had to keep the show PG-13 because it was family, even if most of the time parents did not bring their children. But as long as the child had an adult with them, they could enter CW and AC. So It could open exactly the same and you could go. As a solo person, with no one to dine with, I wouldn't want a restaurant because I'd never see the show (I wouldn't eat alone).

Post Thanks / Like

I just think some are missing the point...DTD is an alternative to the parks, another option. With PI gone what exactly is "Dinsey" about Downtown Disney????? The marketplace? Quest? This isn't a ride or show that Disney decided to 'relieve' themselves of. This is a large area and businesses. So DTD is not really Disney at all anymore because 3rd party retailers are taking over all of it, more 3rd party hotels and shops going in on the western edge of WDW property in addition to the Four Seasons, another NON-Disney operator on WDW property. I don't know about all of you but in my book that constitutes a pattern or trend that I don't particularly like. As I said, I like WDW because of Disney quality, not 3rd party folks. I don't go to WDW to visit shop in store that I can find here at home. The Disney 'Magic' is what keeps us coming back. But if the future is more non Disney take overs then that mean less Disney 'magic'.......
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

973.33 miles/15 hours and 11minutes too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

See but everyone says that and you always could have brought your children to the club. It wasn't the type of club that allowed the sort of trouble that BET or Mannequins or the other clubs there did. The performers had to keep the show PG-13 because it was family, even if most of the time parents did not bring their children. But as long as the child had an adult with them, they could enter CW and AC. So It could open exactly the same and you could go. As a solo person, with no one to dine with, I wouldn't want a restaurant because I'd never see the show (I wouldn't eat alone).
    I'm kind of the same way...I don't like going ANYWHERE by myself, let alone eat alone. I wish they would bring the club back because even when you're "alone" you have people to talk to and socialize with, whereas you don't really get that at a restaurant.

CaptainJessica: Next time I'm in Disney, if they bring AC back by then, we will totally go and not be alone together lol
    Mon coeur est tout a toi. Garde le bien pour moi.

PREVIOUS TRIPS
    2007 Port Orleans Riverside
    2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
    2003 Disney's Wilderness Cabins
    2001 off site
    1999 off site

lockedoutlogic Guest

Those places were never meant for families....no matter what Disney said....

They were bars.....plain and simple....the only place that wasn't a straight bar was the Comedy Warehouse....and that would have been brutally dull for anyone between 5 and 15.....

The Adventure's Club was a bar with schtick that would be lost on anyone resembling a child as well....

PI was what it was: for adults.....it had it's run....now it's going away.....

I still fail to see the issue here....it's over

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how long one year of Iger's salary would have kept the Adventurer's Club going.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the original point of this thread was the loss of AC and the hope that something similar would be opened elsewhere on property. The arguments over why PI closed are interesting but somewhat behind the point.

A larger capacity restaurant/bar with an AC-like theme, maybe in or near the studios, might be interesting and get more family traffic.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: