Quantcast I was wondering...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I was wondering...

I just want to know what people think about this situation and what they would do. That being said...

Here's a tricky one. Say, you are going to get your kids a picture with Buzz & Woody, and there's no line. As you enter, a small family of 3 gets there right before you...no issue yet. Now, let's say they proceed to take pictures at every cut-out picture stop along the way...we're talking multiple pictures of each. Now, there's nobody in front of them and the characters are just waiting for guests. So, here are my questions:

1-Is it rude to pass?
    2-If you do pass, is that line jumping?
    3-Is it rude of the people taking pictures to hold up the people behind them?
    4-Should the CM watching do anything...like wave for the family behind to come forward?

P.S.--I started this on a different thread, but I didn't know how or if I could move it.
    Last edited by Melanie; 01-18-2009 at 11:07 PM.
    "You make me smile with my heart."
    • DH...almost every year growing up.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR
    • April 2007-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2008-CSR---Never again!
    • Halloween 2010-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2012-Bonnet Creek:)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You should ask the family if they mind if you go ahead and get your photos/autographs with the characters and if they don't mind....then by all means, move on ahead. But if they say that they mind, then hope that a CM intervines and speeds things up.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look towards the CM to see if they wave me and my family on, and if not, I'd pass!!
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousse View Post
    I'd look towards the CM to see if they wave me and my family on, and if not, I'd pass!!
    The way it's set up, the CMs can't see the guests in the queue line.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Just pass but be nice if they protest. I would say, " We are just going to scoot on by if you don't mind, have dinner reservations to get to."
    74-79 poly w/parents
    99' WL - 00' WL- 01' WL - 02' WL - 03' WL
    04' WL - 04' AS Sports - FEB 05' WL - May 05' POR
    Sept 05' POR cancelled/Katrina
    Oct 05' BCV, Mardi Gras 06' WLV
    Labor day 06 SSR, November 06, Dec POR, Aug 07 BCV, Feb 08 WLV
    Easter 08 OKW, Labor Day 08CBR,Nov08 SSR, Next feb09?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    The way it's set up, the CMs can't see the guests in the queue line.
    I can't remember at which part, but toward the end, it was visible to the CM. They might have come down or peeked around the corner or something like that. But, CM did see what was going on at a certain point. I'm not saying they did anything wrong...just curious as to what other people think.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually had a situation like this at MGM. We were walking up the wide walkway leading to Star Tours. There was a family that was stoppingto take pictures of the Robots ect.. I just I just caght the Dad's eye and pointed further up. He just kind of waved like go ahead.
    I will say that there was NO ONE else loading. I do not know what I would have done if there had been lots of people trying to load. I guess if there were people behind me pushing past me because I was waiting I would probably jump them. I would assume at that point that if they had a problem with it, they would start moving. If not, I guess it would be their choice to stay and take pics and let others past.

Not sure what I would do at a character meeting.
    Now my DD at age 3 did skip an entire line of people once-I was mortified and made her get at the end of the line. We were meeting Mary Poppins at the hat at MGM she just walked straight over to the penguin right next to her not know that she had to get back in line.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes.

Post Thanks / Like

As to whether it was rude of the family to take as many pics as they wanted, I would say emphatically no. For all you know, that was the highlight of their trip and they are under no obligation to hurry along for you. However, it would've been proper of them to wave you past, and since it doesn't look like they did, then you should've asked (and granted its more of a perfunctory request that they sort of have to say yes to, but still). If they had said no, then idk what to tell you if there was no CM around to help.

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the first response. Politely ask them if you could go around them. If they refuse then politely wait.

I suspect they would be happy to let you go around. They are probably just as stressed that they are holding up the line.
    Next Trip: All Star Movies - Dec '11

09/11 - Disneyland
    12/07 - Caribbean Beach
    05/07 - Boardwalk
    05/05 - Port Orleans Riverside
    09/99 - Wilderness Lodge
    06/'97 - Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon!)
    1988 - Offsite
    early 80's - Golf Resort
    1979 - Polynesian
    1975 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Hi my 2 cents

1-Is it rude to pass? I agree with the first post. I would simply ask :hey can we move ahead, we are not taking any pics and heading right up to the characters?" If they say No, I would wait for Cm to intervene or just wait (But I would be a little annoyed theys aid no and held up the line)
    2-If you do pass, is that line jumping? Not sure, I think it is rude to pass w/o asking....but if they are the head of the LINE and they have come to a STAND STILL to do something else (pics) with nobody in front of them....then are they really in line? Technically yes, but they have taken a diversion.
    3-Is it rude of the people taking pictures to hold up the people behind them? No, not if they are waving people ahead. But if they told pople NO DO NOT PASS and still do not move forward....RUDE!
    4-Should the CM watching do anything...like wave for the family behind to come forward? If they could see...absolutely.

May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2010 - AKL 5 nights /Sports 3 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsWDWfood View Post
    As to whether it was rude of the family to take as many pics as they wanted, I would say emphatically no. For all you know, that was the highlight of their trip and they are under no obligation to hurry along for you. However, it would've been proper of them to wave you past, and since it doesn't look like they did, then you should've asked (and granted its more of a perfunctory request that they sort of have to say yes to, but still). If they had said no, then idk what to tell you if there was no CM around to help.
    To an extent yes, by all means take as many pictures as you want...if there's nobody being held up. At what point are too many being taken? If you're alone that's one thing, but if you're holding people up for multiple pictures at multiple stops...

This is what happened. We entered, we stopped at the first stop. We all smiled at each other. After a few pictures my husband made a gesture to move around the back. The women literally jumped in front of him and gave a dirty look. I gave him a look as to say, let it go and he joined us behind them. They then took many pictures at the different stops and I think at one that wasn't meant to be a photo-op, but I guess looked nice to them. The CM saw what was happening and even made a face, like wow are they really doing that? We waited without saying a word and got our picture and left. I'm not saying the CM should have done something, maybe she was just about to when they took their final photo.
    I understand all about pictures. I have totes filled with every day of my kids lives...well almost. But, if I'm going to take pictures, then I will wave the people on. I don't want to stop what could be the highlight of their trip with the highlight of mine, just because I got there 2 seconds before them. I personally think it's rude to hold other people up for multiple pictures.
    The kicker is...we would have been done with our picture and long gone, by the time they were done with their photo tour
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR

Post Thanks / Like

This kindof thing happened to us when we were taking pictures with the incredibles in the magic of disney animation place, only there was a long line. The family in fron of us took like 3 pictures of each person in their family with the same character. We waited patiently next in line, and the CM's moved them along.
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

I would have definately asked if I could move along in the line. I guess in the moment I would not imagaine they would have said "no". However, if they did in fact tell me "no", I would have also asked politely how much longer they think they would be. Maybe just try to stress some sort of urgency in a polite way.

WDW is one place where I try to understand some of the "goofy" things that people do. I myself am an extreme picture taker (I would NEVER hold up a line for it though!), and DH has had to tell me before to move out of someones way. I have always apologized though. Many time you just get caught up in the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

My take...

I believe the whole line area to see Buzz and Woody was set up and meant to be a photo zone...it is meant that you stop to take pictures along the way. There are cut outs to pose with and foot prints for the photographer to stand on. We went in and took pictures in all the stops. The family in front of us did too. the difference was that they took 37 million pictues of everyone together, all the kids, all the boys, all the girls, each family together and so on and so on...and then stayed in the picture area when they were done rather than moving into the space beyond so tha tth next family could get the pictures going.

That being said...I did not have a problem with them stopping at all of them but a little common sense and courtesy for others around them would have been nice. We took our pictures and got out of the way...even when we could not get to the next picture because the other family was still standing in the area we got out of the way for the next family to take theirs. Had we not cared about getting all the fun photo ops on film that were offered, I would have passed them and not worried about what they thought. I do not think that is line jumping in that case (and I have been very vocal in actual line jumping posts against it!) because they chose to spend 37 million years in one spot. And yes, there was a huge space between them and the people in front of them. I figure they chose to make those pictures a part of their trip (as did I, just ot for as long) and if that is the case, the rest of us do not need to wait around them.
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's just common courtesy. If they wanted to stop at each spot to take pictures and saw that you were clearly simply waiting, they should have waved you on.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

That happened to us in line for Haunted Mansion. We asked if they minded since they were taking photos every second and the woman screamed at us. She had so much rage, you had to feel sorry for her and her family.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

This reminds me of miniature golf etiquette. If you have a large party that is taking a long time on each hole, it is common courtesy to let a smaller party (usually a couple) pass ahead if they are continually waiting for them to finish. I cannot believe they flashed you a dirty look! by the sound of it you probably would've been through the line and done by the time they got to the characters.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dteed View Post
    Just pass but be nice if they protest. I would say, " We are just going to scoot on by if you don't mind, have dinner reservations to get to."
    I love you forever for that comment.

However, that is how the location is set up. It's designed to be an interactive queue area. I can tell you that during peak times, those are used and no one notices because there actually is a line and not a passing area. If someone in front of you is going slower, just ask them in a polite manner if they don't mind. If they don't, then pass, if they do then wait. Or pass anyways. Some people save every penny to come to WDW and all they take home from the parks as physical souveiners are photos and free stickers and buttons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    This reminds me of miniature golf etiquette. If you have a large party that is taking a long time on each hole, it is common courtesy to let a smaller party (usually a couple) pass ahead if they are continually waiting for them to finish. I cannot believe they flashed you a dirty look! by the sound of it you probably would've been through the line and done by the time they got to the characters.
    on the golf.

That's right, we would have. If there were other people at the front of the line, then by all means snap away, because we are just going to wait anyway...it doesn't matter if it's 10 feet back or cramped together...we're still waitng. But, if there's not one person waiting, why would you want to hold people up on purpose? Again, I feel it's people thinking they are more important then everyone else. If you get caught up in the moment and have no idea anyone else is around, sure it happens. But, when you know you're doing it...it's just rude. At what point does a few snaps turn into a personal photo shoot?
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been in these lines but I have been in lines like the one going to the Tree of Life. If you stop to take pictures, I'm going around you. I wouldn't expect people to wait for me while I took pics. If the line is real tight, I guess you would wait. But when people start stopping to take pics and there's no one in front of them, I walk around. I would expect people to pass me too.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: