Quantcast Mama Melrose...Try it or Skip it??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mama Melrose...Try it or Skip it??

Here is what I am pondering ...last visit we ate at Hollywood and Vine with the Fantasmic pkg. and I really didn't like it. Will not be going back to H&V. I won't spend two TS credits on Brown Derby, so that leaves Mama Melrose if I want to get in on the Fantasmic pkg. I am really not that impressed with their menu. So you tell me...is it worth it to try MM and risk having a bad meal but get into Fantasmic with little or no wait or eat somewhere I know we will have a good meal and wait to get into Fantasmic??
    Jeana

May 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge ~ 1st trip to WDW

July 2006~ Wilderness Lodge

June 2009 ~ Wilderness Lodge!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've eaten there a few times and have enjoyed it. Personally, I prefer the dinner package for Fantasmic.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I would take the risk. Some people love Mama Melrose. You never know. I haven't tried it. But if you really want the package, I would give it a shot.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

That's a dilemma...we tried H&V for the Fantasmic Pkg...and it was worth it not because of the food which was okay but not great. We were there during Christmas and there was a huge line so it worked for us...we tried Mama's once and weren't impressed but we may give it another shot....when are you going? If its off season I might chance going without the Pkg.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I had perhaps my single most dissappointing meal at Disney in Mama Melrose's. Everyone in my family had a bad meal that night, not sure if it was an off day. But how hard is it to cook a plate of pasta?

As for Brown Derby we found it to be worth the 2TS. The food was fabulous! As was the atmosphere, we had a great time that night. But Fantasmic was rained out! Go figure. At least we had a great meal.

If I had to rate them all it would be as follows, Brown Derby would be first by a mile, H&V second and MM a very distant third.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

We go to Mama Melrose's every November trip for a lunch and haven't had a bad meal there. The flatbreads are great, as is the Caesar salad and calamari. We ate at Brown Derby once and did the Fantasmic package, and it was okay. We may give Brown Derby another shot in June.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

we usually do Mama's for the fantasmic package and never had a bad experience- although I will say, they need to lentghen the rotation on the musak, I think we heard the same songs twice before leaving!

2004-Allstar Movie
    2004-Allstar Movie
    2006-Allstar Movie- he proposed!!

2007-Allstar Movie
    2007- Allstar Music
    2008- September, December trip
    2009 June, Novemebr trip

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's very tough to read"
    M Twain

Post Thanks / Like

We too have found Mama Melrose to be fine every time we've been there so I'd say give it a try.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Mama Melrose is on our must-do list a few times each trip. Like you, we tried H&V many years ago for the Fantasmic Dinner package and really disliked it. We switched to Mama Melrose & have been going back every year since.

In fact, DH has requested Mama Melrose for dinner on Father's Day!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

We've never eaten there but will give it a try on 1/22 with the Fantasmic package. Come on...even a terrible meal at Disney is better than any meal at home!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We did Mama Melroses several years ago, and really weren't impressed. It was too loud, the food wasn't really worth it. We've done the Hollywood and Vine twice, and it's better, but it depends on what foods you are looking for. Brown Derby is a little out of our price range, so we haven't done that one yet. But we did try 50's Primetime Cafe this trip- that was fun! And the pork entree was excellent! Is that one on the Fantasmic Package?
    Dawn, AKA Grumpy's daughter (yes, that's what we call my Dad!)Been there, Done that, Want to go back NOW!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought MM was ok...but we LOVE the brown derby...it's our 2nd favorite place to eat in the world...other than Les Chef de France.
    Sometimes you'll be Sleepy, Bashful, SNEEZY, Dopey and maybe even Grumpy; but I hope you are always HAPPY at the end of the day.

Annual Pass Holder
    AKL-10th Wed Ann Sept 08
    Offsite: Mar 09 Mar 08 Mar 07 Mar 06 Mar 04, Sept 03 Mar 02 Nov 00
    ASM Mar 05
    Magic Music Days Performer May 89

Natazu Guest

Mama Melrose's (Table Service) ☺☺☻
    For flatbread and dessert, Mama’s is fine. The prices are acceptable and there’s rarely a long wait. If you’re looking for a great Italian dinner, this probably isn’t the place. The menu isn’t very diverse and very little of it is fresh. The staff has admitted to me that they are more concerned with getting people fed and back out to the park than providing a true dining experience. Mama Melrose’s is a stereotypical theme park sit-down eatery.

Brian is right. Brown Derby is the only really great place at the studios.

Post Thanks / Like

We've eaten at Mama Melrose twice --- both times we had great meals. I would go back there again. My sister and family enjoyed their meal there also.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Natazu;1808599]Mama Melrose's (Table Service) ☺☺☻
    The staff has admitted to me that they are more concerned with getting people fed and back out to the park than providing a true dining experience.

That aspect we like, with having 3 small kids we like to be in and out and back on the attractions rather than wasting time eating. But, that is just us. We've eaten there twice and never felt rushed and we love the food!! It is way better than the buffet over at h&v. Just my opinion.
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

i ate here with my mom in dec 2007. we liked it and would go back for the fantasmic dinner package. it was nice to eat at a sit down restaurant after having counter service for a few days. our waiter was pretty good and the appetizer with breads and spreads was great. i had chicken parm and she had the eggplant stack, both were pretty good.
    kelly

nov 2011 POR, oct 2010 POR, mar 2009 POR, oct 2008 POR, dec 2007 POR, feb 2007 POR, feb 2006 POR, jan 2001 POFQ, nov 1999 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We've always used it with the Fantasmic package. Dinner has always been consistenly good and we have always enjoyed that even in the peak of the summer its quiet and fast. Fantasmic is a time consuming event to begin with so we're usually anxious to get back to the park.

If your look for a superb food experince Brown Derby gets the vote. But for good food at survivable prices go for Mama's.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion i hated it. We ate there last year and i dont remember what i got but i was not impressed at all. I was very upset. That we will not do again.

Post Thanks / Like

I've eaten there about 4 times and never had a single bad meal! We'll be eating there again in October
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say anything bad about Mama Melrose. Good food and cozy atmosphere. Not a "must-do" for us, but enjoyable just the same.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL