Quantcast On or off? That is the question - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for each family staying where they like. We have done multiple trips both on and off site with anywhere between 2 and 20 people in the group. Our family loves staying on property and normally this is our preference but can not agree with those who deem it a no-brainer. There are, indeed, some definite advantages to an off-site condo or home stay IF you have your own transportation. Chief among those adv's are kitchens, private washer/dryers, and much more elbow room for far less $. SO-- if you are reluctant to give up the 24-7 Disney magic but your in-laws' priorities include some of the off-site perks it seems like a win-win situation. Everyone gets what they want and you can share the wealth.
    Kids all need a nap? Zip back to the Disney room and let the cousins rest, too. One night everyone wants to hang out together, eat a simple meal and watch the big game while getting laundry done easily all at the same time? Head to the Ginn. No worries and there will still be plenty of together time.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote here for on site! We planned a very last minute trip this year during Spring Break & there was absolutely nothing available for our first few days on site! But lucky for us, it was our first time driving so we had our van & found a really decent super inexpensive off site hotel! I even asked DH if we should just stay there all week insted of moving to Pop mid week! Luckily he said no! I can honestly tell you that I didn't feel like our vacation actually began until we checked in at Pop & were able to park our vehicle & let Disney do the driving!

Our first "bad" experience at WDW this year! Our youngest DS got sick just in time for Fantasmic, luckily we were already at Pop & I was able to take DS & hop on the bus & let DH & older DS stay & enjoy the show & meet us at the resort when they were finished! Not the end of the world, but we'd have all had to leave & miss out had we not had that option! It's so nice to go out & hop on the bus for that short ride back to the resort for that afternoon break and then hop back on the bus in the evening withut having the hassle of the traffic!

Even though this was our 5th trip to WDW, always having stayed on site & riding the busses, I've never paid any attention to the routes, I can't tell you how many times we drove around & around & have to turn around becuz we had no idea where we were going driving ourselves around WDW! I breathed a huge sigh of relief when we got to sit back & enjoy the ride to the parks instead of watching the signs & finding that parking psot, then walking all the way up to the gates! Can't imagine with small kids in tow!

Just my after now experiencing both on & off property stays! I hope you have a great trip no matter where you stay! I'd rather stay off site than no go at all, but given the choice, & if possible, I'll definitely choose on site every time!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

all i know is that i have heard that those condo's with the private pools are cheap and spacious,but i don't want to cook,clean or do LAUNDRY on vacation,a vacation is to get away from all that nonsense,not to mention driving,traffic and parking,finding the car after a long day,na uh.not for me!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stitchaholic View Post
    all i know is that i have heard that those condo's with the private pools are cheap and spacious,but i don't want to cook,clean or do LAUNDRY on vacation,a vacation is to get away from all that nonsense,not to mention driving,traffic and parking,finding the car after a long day,na uh.not for me!
    I certainly understand that sentiment and personally agree with you but, no matter how strange it seems to us Disneyholics, there are many Orlando-bound travelers who find very appealing:
    1) a more spacious and home-like atmosphere
    2) control of one's own transportation
    3) proximity to other area attractions
    4) competitive pricing
    5) a myriad of other things depending on the particular resort
    If the OP's in-laws fall in that group, I stick by my recommendation that it might not be such a bad plan to have part of the group on and part of the group off site. In any case, estein80, if you tell the others that you feel passionately about Disney property but will certainly understand if they want to stay elsewhere they might decide the togetherness is more important than whatever it is attracting them to the Ginn. If not, and you split up, then each family will have a great opportunity to see "how the other half lives".
    Whatever you decide, have a fabulous trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done several trips with our extended family. A lot of it depends on your family and the main point of the trip. If your family is comfortable being close together and spending the most time possible in the parks is a priority for everyone, then stay on site in the same resort or even the same villa. If your family needs more space (and that's perfectly fine too) and privacy to unwind at the end of the day, but do desire to spend a lot of time together (not necessarily in the parks) then an offsite hotel with a lot of family friend amenities might be good for you.

I have found that my trips with different groups of people are always different - always different in a good way. With my extended family, the pace is slower but I get a lot of quality time with them, especially at TS meals. We stay offsite and relax at the hotel's amenities a lot too. With just me, DH & my kids, we hit the rides hard with mostly CS meals. We really enjoy staying at Pop Century although we have tried other resorts. When I'm with my friends, we enjoy doing whatever we want whenever we want without worrying about what the kids want. We can sleep late or get up early. Go for a massage or dress up at Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique. Even our choice of resort is on our whim. So, I guess I'm trying to say that this trip probably won't be the same as your other trips, but enjoy it for what it is - time with the ones you care about no matter where you're staying.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that for some of us the resort is as much of the whole Disney experience as the parks. It is for me anyway. I love that feeling of driving through the gates and leaving the real world behind, knowing that everything I do for the next 7 days will be Disney. Sometimes I have to run to the grocery store (we do always rent a car) and it really breaks the magic for me! I think other people just want a nice big place to stay. It really depends on what is important to you. I'd rather stay in the smallest Disney value room than an upscale offsite hotel because it just doesn't envelop me in the Disney experience 24/7, but some people don't care about that or get that same feeling. If you do - and you think it will affect how much fun you're having on your trip - then, again, I'd stay onsite.

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed off several times and on once. I would never, ever, ever, stay off again. Especially, with that many people...what if one wants to stay at a park and one wants to leave? You need a lot of flexibility when you have children and groups of people. You don't have flexibility when you stay off. My advice would be to rent points from a DVC owner and stay in a villa at the Beach Club or Boardwalk. You will be able to walk to two parks and have many choices for eating. The bus transportation allows people to come and go as they please. You could allow little ones to go back to the room for a nap or time to cool off with a swim. It is well worth the extra money you spend, and by renting points from a DVCer, you can stay deluxe for a very good price.

1988 - offsite
    1991- offsite
    2001 - offsite
    2007 - WDW Swan
    2009 - Beach Club Villas
    2011 - May Beach Club Villas - Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink That's tough ~

We have stayed at both over the years and we've definitely become "on-siters"!
    I also understand that there are people that are not "magical" and can not handle having Disney "shoved down their throats" 24/7. (Poor them! ) As for me I love that feeling, the music and the magic that follows you everywhere you go for as long as I can afford to stay down there.
    From the financial aspect, I found that the non creepy places I would prefer to stay are now the same price or more expensive than staying on site. No brainer for us then! And I LOVE being able to buy stuff and pick it up at the resort!:
    Good luck with the decision!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

On.
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is pretty lopsided - honestly, if given the choice, I would ALWAYS stay on-site.

But, a couple of years ago we went to WDW with my DH's family (26 of us )

Before this trip, our WDW vacations were always my family's gig - we go for a shorter period of time (3 nights / 4 days) and stay at a deluxe resort.

The initial suggestion was that we find a house big enough for all of us (I love my in-laws but it would take multiple - starting pretty early in the day - to be able to do 24/7 with all of them.)

Eventually we ended up in three (four bedroom) condos off-site. It turned out pretty good. We did have a lot of fun with DH's family and hopefully we will have a chance to do it again...

Pros:

1) The space was nice. The condos had bedroom suits and 2 bedrooms that shared a bathroom. DH and I had our own bedroom/bathroom as the boys had their own room (so to speak, the kids kind of bopped around and slept in different condos each night) and shared a bathroom with two nieces. We also had a nice sized living room and a full kitchen.

2) We really did spend a lot of time with the family while at the condo. Everyone went their own way during the day. But, we did a pretty good job of coordinating and were able to do a major "child swap" each morning so each child got to do what he/she really wanted to do. For example, my nephew, a huge animal lover, was able to go to AK 3 times that week by attaching himself to different families that had it on their agenda.

3) We spent very little on food. We had breakfast and most dinners at one of the condos - which meant that we only at lunch at the parks.

4) The pool was almost empty - the children were able to really enjoy playing together in the pool without having to worry about bothering other guests.

Cons:

1) Even though the condo was only 6 miles from the main gate. It was a lengthy (time-wise) commute to the park. Orlando is a metropolitan area and as such has rush hour traffic. We were late for our 7:15 a.m. Chef Mickey's ADR one morning and had left the condo at 6:30 a.m.

2) Once we left the parks we were done. During the 7 days, we did not return to WDW even once after deciding to head back to the condo in the afternoon to take a swim. The thought of driving to WDW, parking, riding a tram, hitting a park again, riding a tram, getting into the car and driving back to the condo was just too much at that point. We lost, probably, 1/3 of our normal park time each day because of the commuting.

3) It kind of stunk being the Mom in the condo. Since we ate two meals (most days) at the condo, the moms pretty much got cooking and clean up duty. Not what I consider a vacation.

Would I do it again? Absolutely - but more so because I love my DH, not because I loved the experience.

I will, however, definitely press a little harder to stay on-site if it comes up again.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Although I have never tried to stay off site, I must say that I can't imagine a trip to WDW without being at one of the resorts it just doesn't seem right. My DH and I have thought about it each time we've visited, as we have seen some pretty good deals for some off site condos...but when it comes down to the wire we just cannot bring ourselves to do it!! Our favorite: Port Orleans Riverside!!
    IT WAS ALL STARTED BY A MOUSE!
    *DH=John *ME=Shell *DS=15* DS=9

Can't Wait Until Our "Magic-al" Spring Break Cruise on the DCL Magic March 5, 2011
    • 8 trips to WDW between 1999-2010
    • 1st DCL Wonder cruise Nov/Dec 2007

POR, CBR, SSR, OKW, POP,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    On site most definitely, contact MJ and see what your options are with your size family
    Good idea. I would suggest checking out the newly reopened treehouses.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you!

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I just thought I would fill you in on the final decision...

We will be staying at the Ginn. The thought was that it would work better because the adults would be able to stay up and chat after we put the kids down. (I just wish someone had clued me in before I went through all the effort of trying to find an option on site.)

My dh and I would still like to stay on-site, but at least for this trip, we feel we should stay as a family. We'll see what happens in the future.

Thanks again!
    Erica

'83, '86 - CR
    '89 - GF
    '94, '98 - Poly
    '00, 3/09 - Off site
    '01 - ASM
    '02 - Swan
    5/09 - POR
    10/09 - AKL
    12/09 - GF
    Next trip???

Post Thanks / Like

You guys will have a great time!
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for on site! In my opinion, there is no comparison. With a large group and a group of young children, you will need some flexibility. We have vacationed with large groups in the past and have loved being so close that we could all come and go as we pleased. If one or two people want to go back to the resort, it doesn't impact the rest of the group. I find that there is so much to do at Disney, there is no need to go over to Universal or Sea World. If I wanted to do those parks again, I would do them on another vacation.

1988 - offsite
    1991- offsite
    2001 - offsite
    2007 - WDW Swan
    2009 - Beach Club Villas
    2011 - May Beach Club Villas - Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

it comes down to finances. if you can't afford the hotel on site then go with an offsite that is cheaper. however, if you can afford on site resorts then there is absolutely no comparison in my book. my vote is stay on disney property!
    Richard
    "please stand clear of the doors"
    multiple times as little kid but don't remember the dates
    1993-ft. wilderness
    1994-contemporary
    1995-ft. wilderness
    2002-caribbean beach/polynesian
    2003-off property
    2005-coronado springs
    2009-off property condo
    2011-Bay Lake Towers/Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

onsite, onsite, onsite! we stayed off-site last year at a lovely house we rented. 4 bedrooms, kitchen, pool everything, close to the parks(literally 5 mins to AK) but when you have to pack up 3 kids, strollers, and bags and park at MK, then get on a tram (time to fold everything up again)then get on the monorail (more folding up of strollers) then unfold everthing again just to get to MK, you realize that staying onsite is so much more convienent than you could have ever realized

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: