Quantcast To Vote Or Not To Vote - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do You/Did You Vote?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 93.38%
  • No

10 6.62%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

On my way to do so right now.

I have a family member who has different political views than I do, although I haven't explicitly told the person because I don't want a lecture on how wrong I am. Earlier this morning, this person was badgering me because I hadn't gone to vote yet. I thought, "If you knew how I'm going to vote, you'd be hoping that I DON'T go!"

Tammy

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, lol, after I posted what I did this morning I read it back and said to myself "ew I came across a little harsh or crude" not meaning to of course, but was afraid it might be read that way when I was talking about no vote, no right to say anything. I am glad now that I am not the only one that thinks that way and that a lot of you agree that if you dont vote you have no say in what happens afterwards. lol. Glad Im not the only one
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I voted on my way to work this morning. So, I can say - Been there, done that and got the sticker to prove it!
    Seriously, it is my duty to vote and just like Ian, I will vote until the day I die!

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I've voted every year since I turned 18 (actually I registered to vote on my 18th birthday but I can be a bit of a nerd--just ask my sister!). I've voted in every election since but had to do absentee this year since I'm 4 hours from home and bogged down in law books! I'm just sorry that I didn't get to see my sister vote for her first time today but Mom took pictures for me.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I voted this morning, I brought my boys with me. I have them with me everytime I vote.The baby doesn't understand anything yet except he gets some extra attention. My 5 year old is starting to understand some of it. Here in massachusetts there is a question that is up for a vote that means alot to the animal lovers in my family so my son told me which way to vote on that. He's so cute.
    Coreen

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are sort of like Ian's. It is our duty as American citizens to inform ourselves and then also vote our best conscience.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

I used to accompany my father into the booth as a youngster, so you betcha I've been voting since I was 18
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just voted a little while ago. One vote CAN make a difference, I also feel that voting is right and a major responsibility for all Americans.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

im sure eveyone will be bashing on me..but im not voting..for two reasons..
    first im not registered..second..im really not into all of this political hoopla...i barely know anything about any of it..and ya i know..it seems bad that im like that..but its the way it is..plus..either way you look at it..no one ever really does everything they say they are gonna do..so either way we are out of luck..
    Last edited by Ian; 11-04-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I voted at 6:30am..right when they opened where I live. I go to the gym every morning at 5am, so I figured instead of waiting in the long lines after work...I'll be in and out. And I am glad I did, because the lines have been longgggg throughout the day.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I voted today! I have been voting in every election since I turned 21, yes I'm one of the old fosils that had to wait that additional 3 years before they lowered the age. that now comes to a grand total of 44 years. Today was the most exciting election in which I've ever voted. The lines here in our fairly small town were long due to the huge turn out. I was in line for 1 hour 45 minutes before it was my turn to vote and I had left my ECV at home so that was a very long painful wait. Would I do it again? Absolutely!
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I have voted in just about every election (local, national) since I was 18. I "preach" that everybody should get out and vote, if they don't they can't complain about anything. It's my right, duty, and resposibility to vote.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    im sure eveyone will be bashing on me..but im not voting..for two reasons..
    first im not registered..second..im really not into all of this political hoopla...i barely know anything about any of it..
    I won't bash you. If you aren't going to take the time to educate yourself on the issues and the candidate's positions, then it's definitely best if you don't vote.

I actually commend you for recognizing your limitations and not casting an uninformed vote.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I wish I could say I feel every vote counts. It's somewhat depressing to know that my state is already red or blue on a map and that the candidates don't even bother showing up.

So, can anyone explain why in that case my vote would count?

Now, if we elected the president by popular vote, then my opinion changes considerably, but until that happens I really can't say I have much confidence in the "My vote counts" mentality.

Local elections are a different matter all together, I'll assume this topic is based on the bog one.

Post Thanks / Like

Allow me to be a little contrary, if I may, if for no other reason than that this has been pretty one sided.

While I recognize that voting is viewed as a civic responsibility, we should not take it for granted, people died (and die) for our right to do so, choosing to spend time voting is very irrational thinking.

There is virtually no chance at all that your vote will count. Zip. You'd have a better chance of standing on the street outside your house and Mickey to come flying out of the sky with a year-long ultimate fast pass and a million dollars for you. The odds are about the same. It just won't make a difference.

Now true, if two million people felt that way it would make a difference. At the macro level the argument doesn't work, but that's not what we're talking about here. Your vote is what we're talking about, and only under a severe case of delusions of grandeur should anyone think their vote is going to sway an election.

You would better spend your time by taking HALF the time that voting is going to take you today and spend that time picking trash up around the neighborhood. That will have a real, measurable impact. Your vote will not.

Now, people make irrational decisions all the time, in many of the decisions we make (as many an economist would lament). I don't fault people for voting, but when I mention to people that I don't vote I do get a little tired of the heavy-handedness I get from them. And these may be people who undertake no other civic responsibility (as I do) but think this vote of theirs gives them a moral high ground.

Oh, and don't for a second believe that old saw that not voting precludes you from complaining after the election...becuase that assumes that your vote would have made a difference. And it won't. Pure and simple.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

I voted this morning.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Oh, and don't for a second believe that old saw that not voting precludes you from complaining after the election...becuase that assumes that your vote would have made a difference. And it won't. Pure and simple.
    But your logic is fundamentally flawed because you yourself openly admitted that this doesn't work at the macro level.

The bottom line is, if everyone felt and acted like you, then there most definitely would be an impact. Ergo, how each individual behaves has an overall impact on the election's outcome.

While your particular individual vote may not ultimately count for anything, your participation in the process (and your encouragement of others to participate) most definitely does.

Sorry to say that I totally and completely disagree with your thinking. It seems to me like you're trying to justify not voting by replacing it with trash collection or something ... it's apples and oranges, IMO.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We're off to vote right now - we always wait to take Conor with us. He has been voting with us since he was a baby and takes the elections very seriously! We want him to understand how important voting, and having the right to vote, is!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    But your logic is fundamentally flawed because you yourself openly admitted that this doesn't work at the macro level.

The bottom line is, if everyone felt and acted like you, then there most definitely would be an impact. Ergo, how each individual behaves has an overall impact on the election's outcome.

While your particular individual vote may not ultimately count for anything, your participation in the process (and your encouragement of others to participate) most definitely does.

Sorry to say that I totally and completely disagree with your thinking. It seems to me like you're trying to justify not voting by replacing it with trash collection or something ... it's apples and oranges, IMO.
    Couldnt have said it better myself.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

But we're not talking about everyone, we're talking about Ian, or myself. I'm not putting ads in the USA Today telling millions their vote won't count.

I've campaigned for people and then not voted for them, because campaigning can make a big difference, whereas my vote will make no difference.

If ever in my life there is a political election where my vote would have counted, ie the election ends in a tie or a one-vote victory, I'll start voting. But that won't happen.

My point about picking up trash was simply that people think they are making a contribution to their country by voting, when really their vote won't count for anything...and there is an opportunity cost associated with the time you spend committed to voting. If you really wanted to help your country or community, the time you spend casting an insignificant vote could be better spent doing other civic-minded things. I don't justify not voting by other things in my life...I was just using this as an example.

There's a great article in the NYT today about why people even bother to vote when there's no chance their vote will count. I emailed a professor quoted therein and asked if he could send some more literatrue on the rationalization of this thinking and what he sent along was pretty fascinating. Can't link to anything here, but you can at least read the NYT article if you choose.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: