Quantcast A Phillies Thread!!!!!! - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    BTW, Jamie Moyer pitched great and deserved to win this game. That blown call really steamed me! Also, there seems to be signs of life in the bats of Rollins and Howard.
    You said it, Christine. Moyer was awesome. That's exactly what we needed. And yeah, Rollins and Howard are at least making some contact now and putting the ball in play. They don't look lost like they did before and that BLAST from Howard was terrific.

That was an awesome game last night, but needlessly a nailbiter. That's two games in a row with just a horrible blown call that hurt the Phils. I find that very annoying. I don't understand why MLB insists on being so archaic. Instant replay please???

Okay, so here's the way I look at it. Last night's game was going to be the deciding game of the series because that was, arguably, the Rays best pitching matchup and their best chance to steal one on the road. Tonight I think we have a very favorable matchup, as Blanton has been excellent in the postseason and Sonnanstine is definitely the Rays weakest link in their rotation.

So if Blanton gets the win tonight, it's a done deal. Cole seals it on Monday and the Phillies are World Champs!!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Okay. This article really has me steamed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html?bcnn=yes

Why? Because first off it implies that the Rays lost this game vs. the Phils winning it when, in fact, the opposite is really true. Without a little help from the umpires the Rays wouldn't have been in this game at all and it had nothing to do with their inexperience or any mistakes. They just got beat.

Secondly, it once again makes unsubstantiated claims that Philly fans were "mean" to the Rays. Now I wasn't at CBP last night, but if Longoria's feelings are hurt because they called him Eva, maybe he shouldn't have gone 0-fer and made the fans pay with his bat. Instead he looked like Eva out there, especially on the final play where he lobbed some freakish ball well past the catcher while trying to make the out at the plate.

Third, it makes no mention of the fact that the Rays scored their tying run on a throwing error. Instead it says the ball was "inadvertently kicked by Upton."

I'm really tired of the media's infatuation with the Rays.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Okay, last post I promise, but I forgot to mention this before ...

Look, I'm not a baseball genius. I don't really necessarily understand all the nuances of the game. That being said, can anyone provide me with a logical rationale behind the way Maddon managed that 9th inning??

I totally did not understand what he was thinking. Why did he go to a 5 man infield?? What was he hoping to gain from that?? I mean the Phils only needed one run and there were no outs. I can't possibly fathom why he thought a 5 man infield was going to help him?? I mean even if they turn a DP it's not going to matter, because presumably the winning run will score anyway.

I also thought it was very questionable to issue those intentional walks to pitch to Ruiz. I mean Ruiz's bat has been on fire this series. He's hitting .500. That was dumb. The entire thing was dumb, I thought.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, that author can stick it where the Rays don't shine. I can't wait to win this thing, not only for ourselves as die hard philly sports fans, but to shove it in the face of everyone who loves to kick us when we're down and revel in our losses, and never give us credit where credit is due.
    Longoria's OWN teammates have called him "Eva" all year long. I highly doubt this was the first time he's heard it from the fans. You're telling me Boston didn't heckle him? And speaking of other teams, how come the atrocious behavior of Dodgers fans didn't make national news. I have heard from a number of sources that LA fans were quite drunk and disorderly and were seeking fights during the NLCS.

The one thing that did get me irked was the implication that the Rays don't need to rely on luck to win. How many times have they scored on errors and groundouts? This has been a flukey series on both sides for sure.

As far as the 9th inning Rays management... yea it sure was interesting. But, I'm not complaining!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Now here's an article more to my liking...
    Jayson Stark
    ESPN.com

PHILADELPHIA -- You know it isn't just another World Series game when the clock above Ashburn Alley says it's 1:47 a.m.

You know it isn't just another World Series game when the Tampa Bay Rays suddenly have more infielders running around than coaches.

And you know it isn't just another World Series game when a ball that travels approximately 63 feet is about to turn into the biggest hit of the World Series for the team that somehow is winning the World Series.

But that was the madness that unfolded at Citizens Bank Park as a soggy Saturday night turned into a madcap Sunday morning.

Five insane hours packed with raindrops, pickoffs, E-2's, long balls, small balls and a whopper of an umpiring boo-boo nearly earned residence in World Series infamy.

But if you nodded off sometime after "Weekend Update," take our word for it: The Phillies really did beat the Rays 5-4 early Sunday morning, on a game-ending, slo-mo thunker down the third-base line, against a five-man infield, by a catcher who gets an infield hit about once a decade.

And because that happened, in real life, in a jam-packed ballpark in the middle of the night, this World Series has taken a dramatic, possibly pivotal turn.

The Phillies hold a 2-1 lead in this Series. They lead it even though they're hitting .061 (2-for-33) with runners in scoring position. They lead it even though neither of those two hits left the infield and one of them didn't even score a run.

They lead it even though their late-inning defensive replacement has produced more runs than their leadoff hitter. And they lead it even though they've allowed the team they're playing to score eight consecutive runs in two games on plays that included either an out or an error.

"It's a funny game," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said after this insanity was over. "That's how the game goes."

Well, it's not supposed to go quite like this, is it? But somehow or other, the Phillies are two games away from winning the World Series, and they're in prime position to finish that job. Of the previous 51 World Series that were tied at 1, the winner of Game 3 has gone on to win the Series two-thirds of the time.

But none of those other World Series featured a game that didn't start until after 10 p.m., as this one did. You can thank the weather front from hell for making that possible.

And that set the stage for a long night's journey into day that eventually led us to an unprecedented burst of 1 a.m. craziness, starring the two Phillies everyone expected to take over a crucial World Series game -- Eric Bruntlett and Carlos Ruiz.

Bruntlett, a utility infielder who unexpectedly spent most of this season serving as Pat Burrell's late-inning defensive caddie in left field, wound up scoring the winning run in this game -- at 1:47 a.m.

Asked whether he could recall the previous time he'd scored a run at 1:47 a.m., Bruntlett scratched his head and concluded: "I'm pretty sure that's a first for me."

And the way he came to score that winning run? That had to be a first, too.

Errors and walks and dribblers down the third-base line were all part of a crazy ninth inning.
    His journey started with -- what else? -- a J.P. Howell fastball that plunked him in the thigh with nobody out in the ninth.

And that was about the most normal thing that happened in the inning.

Before you knew it, the Rays were unfurling their first World Series double-switch in franchise history. And reliever Grant Balfour was skipping a wild pitch to the backstop.

That wild pitch then caromed back to catcher Dioner Navarro so fast that he decided to try to nail Bruntlett at second. But instead, Navarro sailed his throw into center field, sending Bruntlett to third.

And then, Rays managerial innovator Joe Maddon signaled for everyone's favorite 1 a.m. brainstorm -- the old five-man infield. That left the infield so overcrowded with Rays fielders that Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard later quipped: "I thought they were about to send them all in on a blitz."

But the man who walked up to the plate after Maddon had ordered two intentional walks to load the bases said he wasn't looking out for any linebackers. He wasn't even sure how many infielders there were.

"I didn't know," the Phillies catcher said. "I didn't count them."

It already had been quite the eventful evening for Ruiz, who hit .219 during the regular season but has turned into the Phillies' hottest October bat. The good news: He'd hit a second-inning home run to put the Phillies ahead 1-0. The bad news: He also had committed a crushing throwing error that had allowed the Rays to tie the game in the eighth inning.

But he was about to have a moment that would make all his other moments disappear.

The count became 2-2. Towels swirled in the night. Nearly 46,000 exhausted voices did their best to wake up the residents of South Philadelphia. Balfour reared back and did what he does best -- launch one more 95-mile-an-hour smokeball. Ruiz took his mightiest swing.

Only to thunk a little hip-hopper down the third-base line that was about to turn the World Series upside down.

In raced Tampa Bay's brilliant third baseman, Evan Longoria. ("About the last thing you wanted in that situation was a ground ball," the Phillies' Chris Coste said. "And about the last person you'd want to field it was probably Longoria.")

Down the line sprinted Bruntlett, heart pounding like a bass drum.

"It was one of those deals where it kind of feels like everything is in slow motion," Bruntlett said. "You feel like you should be moving faster, just because you want to get there so quick. So it felt like a long 90 feet. That's all I know."

Meanwhile, Ruiz, a man who doesn't exactly specialize in game-winning infield hits, let alone infield hits of any kind, pumping down the first-base line, listened for the sound that would tell him whether he'd just become an October hero.

"Then I heard them cheering," Ruiz said. "And that's when I knew, 'OK, it's over.'"

Longoria had had just an instant to decide: Was this ball going foul or staying fair? Pick it up or let it go? Make a play or pray for luck?

He made the right call, but it was too late. He scrambled, bare-handed it, flipped it toward home -- but eight feet over Navarro's head. Bedlam reigned. This game was over.

"I was excited," said Ruiz, a man hitting .500 (4-for-8) in this World Series, "no matter what kind of hit it was. I said when I hit it, 'I'll take it. I'll take a win.'"

And this wasn't just any old win. It was a win that had almost turned into a disaster.

Three Phillies homers -- by Ruiz, Chase Utley and Howard -- had lifted the Phillies to a 4-1 lead heading into the seventh. So this game should have been over, because when the Phillies lead this big this late, they always win. They went 60-1 this year in games they led by three runs or more in the seventh inning or later.

But then it happened.

Jamie Moyer, 45 years and 342 days old, was nine outs away from becoming the oldest pitcher ever to win a World Series game, or any kind of postseason game.

Until the first hitter of the seventh inning, Carl Crawford, laid down a clinic of a drag bunt down the first-base line.

We'll never know quite how Moyer even got there. But he did. He lunged. He scooped up the baseball with his glove and flipped it to first in one spectacular motion.

"The way he got over there," Howard later said, laughing, "it was ninjaesque."

The baseball floated toward first. Howard snatched it out of the air with his bare hand. An instant later, Crawford's foot hit the bag.

But then, stunningly, first-base umpire Tom Hallion flashed the safe sign.

The groans that poured out of the seats made it feel like a Bartman Moment -- Philadelphia style.

In a town that has gone titleless for 25 years, for a franchise that has won just one World Series, this had "ugly omen" written all over it. Especially when the Rays transformed it into a two-run inning that made it a 4-3 game. And even more so an inning later, when B.J. Upton willed himself to become the tying run -- with an infield single, a steal of second, a steal of third and Ruiz's throwing error.

Had this game turned into a come-from-ahead loss, Jimmy Rollins said afterward, this would have been the call Philadelphians mourned for centuries.

"Oh yeah," Rollins said. "If we'd have lost, you know they'd have been talking about this one. That's when all the good conspiracy theories come out."

But you can toss that script into the old Dumpster because Ruiz's dribbler heard 'round the Delaware Valley made it all moot.

"That's a moment I'll remember the rest of my life," said the author of the first game-ending infield hit in World Series history. "I hope I can do it again tomorrow."

OK, so it was actually today by then. But you never correct a hero -- especially at 1:47 a.m.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    The one thing that did get me irked was the implication that the Rays don't need to rely on luck to win. How many times have they scored on errors and groundouts? This has been a flukey series on both sides for sure.
    Yeah, I think that is what irked me the most. The entire article seems to imply that the Rays are just head-and-shoulders better than the Phils and it's just their inexperience combined with some bad luck that's got them down in the series.

It's garbage. The Rays have had a nice season, but look ... these guys aren't proven commodities. They're playing well at times, but it's not like this is some pre-destined dynasty team or anything. They're a come-out-of-nowhere, worst-to-first fluke that's relied on a lot of luck to advance, not the other way around.

The Phils, on the other hand, have two league MVP's in Rollins and Howard and a guy like Chase Utley who could certainly be a league MVP some day. And there is absolutely no doubt that the best pitcher in this Series (and one of the best in baseball) is on the Phillies. I have no clue why people thought the Rays would win at all.

I mean seriously ... take away a couple bad calls and one or two Phils' errors and this is a 3-0 series. If anything, it's the Phils who have hurt themselves. Not the Rays.

I'm just so sick and tired of the lack of respect and the dissing of Philadelphia fans and teams that goes on at the national level. There's such a bias ...
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

It's garbage. The Rays have had a nice season, but look ... these guys aren't proven commodities. They're playing well at times, but it's not like this is some pre-destined dynasty team or anything. They're a come-out-of-nowhere, worst-to-first fluke that's relied on a lot of luck to advance, not the other way around.
    I wouldn't call them a fluke, Ian. That is unnecessarily harsh. They are a good team who won one of the toughest divisions in baseball. With their pitching staff, most of whom are not even arbitration eligible, and the long term signings of Longoria, Pena and Crawford, I think this team will compete for the next few years. This is not the 1993 Phillies (which were a fluke), but I understand your frustration. It doesn't need to be an either/or situation, as has been implied in many articles. Both teams have their pluses and minuses. I was glad to hear the Baseball Tonight crew brought up how Longoria and Pena are 0 for whatever after hitting the cover off the ball the last two rounds. Finally, it wasn't about just our negatives.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'm not trying to say they're not a good team. Maybe fluke was a bad choice of words.

What I mean is, it's not like we're playing the Yankees or the Red Sox or something. It's not some dynasty franchise with a history of post-season victory. This is a team that went 327 and 482 in the previous five seasons. They've finished in their division basement 4 of the five previous years.

If either team would be considered a proven commodity, it's definitely the Phillies. It just shows the immense disrespect the national pundits have for Philadelphia teams that they would even consider making Tampa the favorite.

That being said, I agree both these teams should have a lot of success for many years to come.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Now thats what I've been waiting to see in this series!!!! We swept them outta the ballpark...LITERALLY!!!!!!

Blanton with that homerun...I was just speechless!!! He was phenomenal tonight. Howard was amazingggggg!!!! I know its not over till its over...but man, Hamels is going to close it out tomorrow night. The Rays showed their inexperience tonight, and I loved every minute of it!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy right now..WOW!!!

Parade baby...I won't be comin to work that day!

GOOOOO PHILLIESSSSSS!!!!!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We'll have to wait til next year to see whether the Rays are a fluke or not.

oh and by the way.... ONE MORE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

10-2 ... that's as close to a complete punch in the mouth as you'll ever get in the World Series. Domination.

So the Phillies will be winning the World Series tomorrow night and that begs the question ... who's going to the parade with me???

Last edited by Ian; 10-27-2008 at 07:51 AM.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

So the Phillies will be winning the World Series tomorrow night and that begs the question ... who's going to the parade with me???

Umm I am very superstitious and I don't like to put the cart before the horse but... if they win tomorrow, i am marching directly down from our bar on 2nd and south to broad st and parking my butt there (assuming the parade is tuesday). Oh man...
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It's about time someone in the national media acknowledges this fact:

Quote Originally Posted by John Heymen - Inside Baseball
    The Rays are the Story of the Year. But right now, the Phillies are the better team.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. That's really all I keep saying to myself. This couldn't be scripted any better...Cole Hamels on the hill in October in a game where they can wrap up the World Series. Last night's win really hasn't hit me yet, I don't think. I know tonight if they do what they're destined to do it will hit me at about 2am.

Ian and everyone else, I agree with you guys about all the Rays talk nationally. It was ridiculous. I had to hear last night before the game how Andy Sonnanstine had some of the best stuff on the staff and how he was a big game pitcher. Really? Did you guys see how Moyer and Blanton, our "huge dropoff after Cole Hamels" pitchers, threw the last couple of nights? Unhittable.

My favorite thing about last night's game had to be Blanton's homerun. The guy actually watched it a little and broke into a trot! I was screaming and laughing at the same time! I can't wait for tonight man. Go Phils!
    -Phil-

"The future is no place to place your better days."--Dave Matthews
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."--Mallrats

"The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of Baseball!"

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The absolute worst line of the night from the announcers goes to (not surprisingly) Tim McCarver.

The Phillies start the game with a lead-off double by Rollins and a sac fly by Werth. When the next batter comes up, McCarver comments that it's an opportunity for the Phils to "get a cheap run."

Can someone tell me what's "cheap" about a lead-off double and a sac fly to advance the runner???

It's really been quite disgusting, the announcing bias. It's always what the Rays aren't doing as opposed to what the Phils are doing. The meat of the Rays order hasn't even gotten a single, solitary hit, yet all we heard about in the first three games was how badly the Phils were hitting with RISP.

Think about it ... Longoria and Pena are 0 for 29 in this series with 16 strikeouts and you've barely heard a word about it. If Utley and Howard were hitting that poorly, you don't think McCarver and Buck would be hammering them???
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

You're right Ian, Buck and McCarver have been absolutely brutal. I tried turning on 1210 so I could hear Harry and Scott Franzke, but I couldn't match up the radio and TV because of the delay. Wouldn't it be great if the Philadelphia market could hear their home announcers and the Tampa Bay area could hear theirs?

Fox's coverage has been just so-so, in my opinion. The pre-game guys finally gave the Phillies a little credit last night but mostly just talked about what the Rays were doing wrong. And did anyone else wonder why Eric Karros was screaming into the camera? I know it was loud down on the field, but the guy has a microphone three inches from his face!

The worst thing about the series so far though has been the umpiring. Absolutely terrible on both sides. Last night Rollins was out by three feet at third on that tag by Longoria. It didn't mean much in the long run because the Phillies pounded the Rays' pitching last night, but still, it was terrible.

Last thing...hey Ian, how about that RYAN HOWARD! I told you he'd get going! It's just a little bit later than I thought.
    -Phil-

"The future is no place to place your better days."--Dave Matthews
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."--Mallrats

"The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of Baseball!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DAKustodial View Post
    You're right Ian, Buck and McCarver have been absolutely brutal...Wouldn't it be great if the Philadelphia market could hear their home announcers and the Tampa Bay area could hear theirs?
    That's why I'm not watching the World Series is b/c of Buck and McCarver. Hated them even during the most exciting series (i.e. 2004's ALCS). I know it'd be an inconvenience for some, but they broadcast Stanley Cup games on cable, why not the World Series on TBS (With a simulcast over the air for the local markets)?
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

If you have Comcast digital cable, it is synched up with the radio broadcast. Regular cable still has about a 5-7 second delay.

I am annoyed at the few bad apples who felt the need to throw things at the Rays family section. Really? Throwing stuff at Maddon's granddaughter? Maddon does acknowledge that this is a small group that went too far (which they most certainly did) and he had a good time joking with other fans, but it is this minority which keeps us from shaking the bad image in the media.

I won't have to deal with Fox tonight, as I'll be at the game!
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Default yeah baby!!!

lets go phillies!! best of luck tonite...nothing like havin our ace on the mound tonite...hopefully the last game of the series!! go hamels!!!
    Trips to wdw......TOO many to count. Next trip...nov.9th-15th 2008. port orleans french quarter... first time there...

Post Thanks / Like

Well. I think some of that story might be exaggerated or mixed up... I don't ever remember seeing mustard "packets" at CBP. All condiments in my experience have come out of annoying pumps. Unless of course someone brought their own mustard packets.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: