Quantcast High wind damage?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default High wind damage?

We are between Cincinnati and Dayton and had wind up to 80 mph on Sunday. The schools are still closed and I think the grocery may have opened late yesterday.

The university is running on generators.

Just wondered what it was like between our area and Texas.

Our newspaper yesterday combined with 3 other papers to put out one edition. It was very strange to have the title of 4 newspapers on one edition.

Hope everyone is safe.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't that something?!?! I live about 2 hours from you and there are still some here as well without electricity and schools closed! We lost 2 trees in our backyard and went without electricity for 7 hours (that was long enough). I have to say it was one scary windstorm !!!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

I live near Lake Erie, in PA and we lost power for about 18 hours. The high school in my town lost power so they cancelled school, 2 hour delay for elementary. Lots and lots of down trees but not too bad since those were some BIG gusts.
    Tracy șOș

1995 Grand Floridian for honeymoon
    2004 Polynesian LVC (three kids later)
    2005 Beach Club
    2006 Polynesian, Tonga!!
    2008 Polynesian
    figured out the secret...
    2008 DVC member AKV

2009 Saratoga Springs/ Boardwalk Villa
    2009 VWL/ AKV... 2 trips in 1 year..love my DVC!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Northwest Tennessee. If I NEVER hear another tree crack and fall, I will be happy.

We have huge limbs in both the back and front yard that still need to be cut up and removed, but we feel EXTREMELY luck as we only had minor damage to the house - we probably won't even meet our insurance deductible. My cat has suffered the most, as all he sees when he looks out his favorite windows but trees.

We got power back first, within a few hours after the storm passed. Most of my town looks like a bomb hit it, including lost of business who lost their entire fronts.

We were expecting Ike to be like Gustav, dropping us some rain that we desperately needed. Boy did we get a literal rude awakening.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Beaver County, PA - 45 min NE of Pittsburgh. We lost power for 25 1/2 hrs (15 min into the Steeler game!!!) and some food in the fridge as a result, our neighbors across the street lost the entire tree in their front yard and a large section of a tree in their back yard. Several others in the neighborhood also lost trees and some lost shingles. My parents had their flagpole (in-ground type, metal and 4" diameter) break off. One cousin lost a shutter, another lost a tree. My sister still doesn't have power and they tell her she won't until Friday night at 11p! Many of the generators in our area were packed up pre-Ike hitting Texas and shipped to Texas so locals can't find any. One family drove to Erie (2 hrs +) to grab the last one available there. No school for my kids yesterday and some districts are still off today too. Fortunately, we are all fine and the damage can be cleaned up and repaired but that was one wicked storm!

for friends and neighbors who suffered worse!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I have family that lives in Centerville OH and they experienced ripped off siding and a down tree limb leaning on the garage. My aunt called a local guy to come and cut it down before it fell down and he wanted $900 to cut one limb!! He certainly wanted to take advantage of her! I live in Pittsburgh PA and we got some wicked winds also, we lost our flag pole on our shed out back. I know neighbors had a little more damage. We had trees down and debris everywhere!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone... I live in the greater Houston area but I left for Austin for the night to get out of the fray. Have to return to tomorrow to work so we will be driving back.

I cannot believe how much damage the storm did so much further inland!! At my house where we had hurricane force winds for 2 hours we have been without power since Saturday morning at 3:30 am and we are not estimated to get power until at least Friday. Our area will not get 100% power until Sept 25th.

Not happy I have to return to work so soon, but there are small pockets of power returning. We are not looking forward to the food and gas lines. We lost ALL our food in the fridge, except a few things that are in my grandparents generator powered fridge. We had been grilling but were running out of charcoal. When we go back tomorrow we will be back into survival mode until supplies are renewed and power returns to all businesses around us.
    Laura

1999, 2001, 2002, 2004 , 2005
    2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge-HONEYMOON
    2007 Disneyland
    2007 Port Orleans Riverside
    2008 Pop Century
    May 2009 Disney Cruise-Wonder
    December 2009-Disney at Christmas

****Disneyventures...A Place for Happy Endings****

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, like someone mentioned, the slime is DEFINATELY coming out of the woodwork with people hoping to take advantage of folks. We're lucky to know people who have wood-burning stoves for heat, and I think we've pretty much got them stocked for the winter with our downed trees, lol.

But yeah, we have to chase away at least four people a day wanting to "help us clean up". I can't imagine what it's like for everyone living in Texas, as bad as it is here. Just talked to a neighbor who said someone was trying to charge an older lady over $2000 to cut up a tree.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what it is like for everyone in Texas, but in my north Houston suburb... our city is actually cutting apart trees that fell down and picking up all our branches and leaves for FREE. Seriously, for free. I guess its just one of those hurricane clean up services. Our local city has been far and above the saving grace. FEMA didn't even place a POD (point of distribution) for water and ice in montgomery county. In fact, our city is the one that gave away ice and water on Sunday to anyone who came at the local high school stadium.

So sorry to hear about those taking advantage further north.
    Laura

1999, 2001, 2002, 2004 , 2005
    2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge-HONEYMOON
    2007 Disneyland
    2007 Port Orleans Riverside
    2008 Pop Century
    May 2009 Disney Cruise-Wonder
    December 2009-Disney at Christmas

****Disneyventures...A Place for Happy Endings****

Post Thanks / Like

We live in western KY and had 60-65 mph winds Sunday AM. Lots of lost trees, Some VERY large. We did not loose power, but alot of our town did. My DBIL wks for the city and has been on duty from 6AM to 12 or 1AM for the last 3 days restoring power. No injuries (thank goodness), a few schools in neighboring towns closed for lack of electricity, and some home damages. WOW...if we had that kind of wind waaayyyy up here, imagine what it's like down in Texas! All our prayers are with them.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Our schools are STILL closed. Most of the town is without power but we only lost power about 12 hours at our house. We live a mile outside of town and are with a different utility (a co-op).

The university (Miami University) has opened up the dining hall to community members with a 15% discount. And they opened up the rec center if anyone wants to use the showers. Very unusual for the university to let non-members use their sports center.

Hopefully power will return soon!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Louisville where half the city is still out, luckily not me. Churchill downs, where Ryder Cup festivities and such are going on, is right down the street from Cardinal Stadium where our football game just took place. Lots of down traffic lights and people walking around in the dark. Public and catholic schools have been out all week. We (University of Louisville) didn't lose power and haven't had morning or night classes for 2 days but we're on a normal schedule now. Oh and gas is $4.15.
    ~ * Liz * ~
    Costuming CM CP Alumni / Aug 06 - May 07 -
    Magic Kingdom / MNNSHP / Mickey's Twas / Spectro / Pirate & Princess / Animal Kingdom / MJJP =)

Last trip: July 10 - ASSp/AKL
    Next trip: May 11 - Planning Session with DFTW!

Disney Bride - 11/10/11

Post Thanks / Like

I am just south of Dayton, myself. Wasn't that CRAZY!!!! I just never in my dreams would have imagined a hurricane affecting Ohio like that! Our power is on and schools are going back today, but things are still a MESS around here. I'm not complaining as I know we didn't get a fraction of what folks in Texas got, it was just such a surprise!
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: