Quantcast Best and Worst Attraction inprovements - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and the most uneccessary update would have to be the "new" POTC. Base a movie on a ride that is based on a movie? I didn't need the change in story line, although I guess I do like the last scene better than it was before.
    What? POTC isn't based on a movie. The imagineers made up a story for it just like HM. The movie came later.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

WORST:
    1. I would have to say changing Alien Encounter to Stitch had to have been the WORST move that Disney could have done. AE was supposed to be scary and thrilling while Stitch is annoying and nauseating to say the least.

2. Toy Story Mania. No I don't think it is a bad ride I just think it was put in a bad PLACE. I LOVED Who Wants To Be A Millionare and it was a great STUDIO type attraction. Why couldn't they have put TSM somwhere else? I LOVE TSM but I don't like how it took out WWTBAM

BEST: The Haunted Mansion. I can't really describe how well they did this. A COMPLETELY new room and with some newer special effects that are great!
    All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

What time does the 3 o' Clock parade start?

Post Thanks / Like

Best attraction improvements have been the additions to HM and Buzz Lightyear to replace If You Had Wings, etc.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

HM was a great upgrade. POTC was not bad as they kept it mostly intact.
    Alien Encounter/Stitch was a horrible upgrade (downgrade?). Alien Encounter was pretty cool, actually a little scary my first time, and I can see where a child would not feel comfortable in the attraction.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rides

Old "Imagination" ride....Great !!!!
    "New" Horrible....

Replacing 20K leagues with a Pooh playground...Bad mistake

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go with Test Track as the best improvement.

Imagination, though... I try very hard whenever WDW tries to rehab something to like it. But I don't see how any Imagineer couldn't have seen that the rehabs done on this one totally ruined it. I mean, they basically removed Figment from the first rehab, for goodness sake.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best/Worst

Best changes I noticed during our trip to "The World" last week:

Adding Capt. Jack Sparrow to POTC was OK, it didn't alter the "flow" or radically change the theme.

The refurb of HM is spectacular!

They totally ruined El Rio Del Tiempo - that mish-mash of Donald Duck being chased by two of his compadres' is disjointed and pointless. At least the old ride paid tribute to the rich and varied history of Mexico. What they have done to this ride is an affront to one of our largest trading partners!

I really liked "If You Had Wings", and I love the fact that they kept some of it for the Buzz Lightyear ride.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, I think the best update is a tie between POTC and the Living with the Seas with Nemo

I think the worst updates is a tie between Stich replacing Alien Encounter and MS replacing Horizons.
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

Post Thanks / Like

Best is HM and PotC.

Worse -
    1. Spaceship Earth, Though updated family watching the moon landing on tv, computer lab, and guy in the garage on the net is great addition, the narration is horrible. Judi Dench's voice annoys me. Cutting out the future city and all that fun stuff with a cartoon starring YOU! is a good idea but kinda just a way of killing time while you skip what was the last 1/4 of the attraction. But I am glad they updated the exit if the attraction, and that it is sponsored again.

2.Alien Encounter - I don't even need to speak for this one.

3.Horizons - MS is good and all but I think Horizons offered so much more than a spinning motion simulator with switches that don't do anything (though I still pretend like they do )

4.El Rio Del Tiempo - as said above, ruined it with cartoons. should be just about Mexico.
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another ... to bridge the gaps between us ... to communicate."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renovations

Best:haunted Mansion
    Worst:Trading 20K leagues for Pooh's playful spot !!!

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn...I loved Mr. Toad and I love Pooh now, so I can't say Pooh is bad, maybe it is just in a bad location. Maybe it could have been put where the playground is (I know that that would have meant more money and probably a lot of other problems, too, but now that area is just wasted space. We can go to the playground at home).

I'm one of the few who never saw Figment so I can't say that I miss it. I'm going to try the new version in May though.

The worst two are Stitch which makes me sick (literally, something about the smell and being closed in) and Mexico's Rio del Tiempo. I agree it could have used an update but they ruined it! I'd take the old pictures back anyday.
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Due to family duties it was 8 long years between my last 2 trips.1999-2007
    I hated what was done to Imagination,never saw version 2.
    I did not like Stitch,but I was not as fan of the earlier attractions in that building,either.
    Mexico was being redone at the time.
    I don't like what they did to Living Seas,turned a learning experience into a joke.
    Like many others,I miss World of Motion,Horizons and Wonders of Life.
    I hate that they no longer do breakfast at Tony's.A CS breakfast is now near impossible to find in the parks.
    Tiki Birds,prefer the first version.
    I could go on if I really want to rack my brain ,but for now,nuff said.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysEars View Post
    apparently I am alone here, I like the Rio ride update. I felt it was outdated and looked as though the films were shot 30 years ago, which they were. And yes it was part of the charm, but it is not really that bad of an update. I don't think it would have been hated as much if it was just added and did not replace Rio. Isn't there a complaint theat there is not enough at EPCOT for children, I don't agree, but i do know my children really like the ride for the first time on our last trip. Do I think it is the best update, no. I am having a hard time thinking of one.
    I have not been on the new POTC or HM to enough to honestly say what I think. I miss the pirate at the end with the treasure and the footprints...the jury is still out.
    Agree 100% on Rio,but I am a sucker for the 3 Caballeros. I for one think Disney got this one right. They took a ride my kids and I never liked and made it into a must see several times every trip. But to each his own.

I will add to the kudos for the HM.

I dislike the Tiki Room UNM a great deal compared to the original.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Best: Haunted Mansion, Pirates

Worst: 20,000 LEAGUES!!!, Horizons, Imagination, Alien Encounter to Stitch
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Mickey's Philamagic, along with the update of the haunted mansion.

What I hate, is the destruction of the Magic Of Disney Animation! This use to be an amazing attraction. With the exception of the Animation Academy, a fantastic experience has been totally gutted in favor of some dumb games that could have been added to the original without destroying it.

If you never got the chance to see the Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams preshow, and the animators with the pencil drawings of Robin's lost boy and Captain Hook, you missed a true Disney Classic.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well...

The best for me would be PoTC, they left well enough alone and just made minor changes that affected the whole ride but not the classic aspects of the ride.

The worst would be, hands down, STITCH, what a disaster that turned out to be. I personally didn't care for Alien Encounter, but seriously, STITCH is TEN times worse!
    Last trip February 2008 - Saratoga Springs

Next trip May 8-17 2009 - Pop Century

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not enough of a regular to be able to tell you when I prefer an update or not, I think I saw the 3 versions of Figment, only once each though and 10, 7 and 4 years ago respectively; so couldn't give a blow by blow comparison.

I went on Stitch just before it was officially opened; they let us on for a preview as it was the last thing we had time for before going the the airport last time (thank you cast member ). The only problem I had was that I hadn't been sitting up straight in the seat so the shoulder rests came down too low. Saw Alien Encounter on our first visit and if i remember right was a little scared by it.....in my defence I was only 8. If I were to see it now I would probably enjoy it, so we'll have to call it a tie.

Yet to see the updates for Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth or Pirates of the Caribbean.

The point of this post was to give credit where credit is due. Imagineers do a tough job as whatever change they make some people will love it and others will hate it as different rides mean different things to different people. If they made no changes and let things get stale then people would say they were being unimaginative and so a traitor to the name imagineer, so they have to be brave and make some tough decisions. Then hopefully they get the balance right with enough alterations to keep things new without crossing certain lines.

To put it into 5 words: keep up the good work!
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of each:
    Best - POTC, Haunted Mansion, Soarin replacing Food Rocks
    Worst - Leave a Legacy at Epcot, Stitch at MK, the first refurb of Journey into Imagination

Post Thanks / Like

I like POTC and The living Seas

Imagination is garbage now
    along with stitch, also garbage
    Disney World
    My home away from home

Last Trip: ESPN Weekend 2010!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    They totally ruined El Rio Del Tiempo - that mish-mash of Donald Duck being chased by two of his compadres' is disjointed and pointless. At least the old ride paid tribute to the rich and varied history of Mexico. What they have done to this ride is an affront to one of our largest trading partners!

I couldn't agree more.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: